Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Red Keep

Default Re: The Red Keep

"Tarly's son, yes."

Jaehaerys looked upon his brother with distaste. What exactly had their father seen in Duncan to re-instate him as the rightful heir?

"I feel that it would be good to keep the man close. Annoying or not, he has his uses."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

"oh" the king said taken by surprise, baffled even "we married our cousin off to a Tarly?" he inquired, didn't look to be as prestigious as a Lord Paramount.

"What more? Have you had word of the Lord Paramounts? Are they still loyal to me Jae?!" The king looked as if he was breaking down, perhaps it was the booze. Perhaps not.

“Yes, do not fear.”

Soothed the Hand, some wariness in his tone and gaze: his brother had disappeared within this worn out shell of a man.

“You should get some rest, your Grace. I believe you are quite tired.”

He glanced at the nearby Kingsguard, a silent command.

”Ser Crabb here will aid you, should you need it.”

Blog Entries

"Nonsense" the kind said while waiving his hand. "Crabb, remove yourself" he murmured after it.
    He had a long strong gaze at Jae's face, minutes passed until Jae probably realized the king had fallen asleep.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Ser Crabb had seen the King drink himself into a stupor, but he could do nothing to stop it, simply nod and agree. He have a stiff nod to the Prince and made to help Duncan to his room, but when the King contradicted that order he left the room to stand outside. Waiting to hear His Grace fall asleep so he could bring him to his proper bed.

"Crabb, return. His Grace has fallen asleep."

Called out the Hand, now standing upright. First a fool, and now a drunk.

Crabb entered and silently made to pick up the man in his trunk like arms. “His Grace is surly weary from his efforts.” He explained, futilely. “I will return him to his bed.” With only a minimal amount of effort he brought the king to his bed. A shame truly.

Bethany Blackwood, the neglected maid to Queen Jenny of Oldstones, came running into the great hall with a piece of paper in her hand. She threw herself at the mercy at what she hoped to both her cousins, Lord Hand and the King. "Cousin.." she said, heavily breathing. "I have bad news about my sister, the Lady of Blackwood Vale and her husband Lord Bracken." her eyes wondered to the big dragon skulls, would this news wake the dragon inside her cousins? "Our kin, at home at Traventree Hall, say she has left for Riverrun and vanished there, never leaving the castle again.." fear was readable in her eyes. "This is nothing for her; you know her. She is always dutiful and diligent, she wouldn't just stay at Riverrun without informing her court. The Riverlands is full of rumours that Lord Tully has imprisoned her there!"

Blog Entries

The King's great council.

The king sat atop the Iron Throne, bleeding from his wrist that he had cut open on one of the many sharp edges of the Iron Throne. "A King should never sit easy." Duncan murmured to himself. Beneath him stood all lords of importance in the seven kingdoms. Long had it been that such a host of lords where present within the Red Keep. Duncan had even made an effort not to drink today, his hands shook a little because of it. He craved some wine but in the hour of need, the hour that could define his faith he wished to be more kingly.

“My Lords and Ladies.” He said, with a slight tremor in his voice. It had been long since he had addressed multiple people at the same time.

He gazed over the people in attendance and sighed, looking at this wrist, which still bled and started to soil his fine silks. “The pretender Haegon Blackfyre has conquered Tyrosh! Together with a large host of men and now, he possess the means to sail them to Westeros. “

After a small pause in which the lords and ladies could reflect and the drama had built up he continued, the frailty in his voice had left him now and he rose to stand. “I have not been the best King the realm has known. My brother, Jaeharys has seen to the governance of the realm in many matters. I have let conflict within our own ranks go unchecked and now there are they who would seek to dispose the rightful rulers of Westeros!”

Slowly but steadily Duncan got off the Iron Throne and was on equal height with his vassal lords. He gazed at those who stood in attendance at the front. Lannister, Stark, Arryn and Tarly to name a few. “You are the Wardens of the realm, now rise to defend them!” He concluded with a roar which in truth was all but a plea to help him retain the crown.

Daemon Mallister crossed his arms as he stood with the rest of the high lords of the riverlands. He did not say anything as he listened to the King speak. He was busy going over in his head, Trying to calculate how big the Blackfyre Forces were compared to theirs. But he could not take into account the lords and ladies who would side with.. The pretenders for whatever reason. He could not account how his own Lord paramount would decide either. Still how many lords and ladies would give up there petty feuds to protect the 7 Kingdoms from a invader. How many would not allow another Aegon to come to conquer them. Who knew what this Blackfyre had.. Maybe he had dragons but he prayed he did not. For now house Mallister would be neutral unless his Lord paramount decided otherwise. For now Daemon just watched and waited to see who would speak after the king.

Lord Ormund Baratheon stepped eventually forward, as he was among the Lords who would eventually have followed the King's call. Eyeing the other Lord Paramounts narrow, he spoke towards the King.
    "It is known that there was bad blood among the Crown and the recent reforms which went with it - you might remember when we spoke the last time with eachother, your grace, and you also know my opinion about it", he said calm, while though not threatening, "In times like these though these differences shall be put aside, as we won't allow the pretender a second time to land within the Stormlands unpunished."
    He then went on his knees, showing Duncan his respect.
    "By the bounds of marriage and in honor to my forefathers, the Stormlands will fight on your side, your grace. Anyone among my High Lords, who opposes this command, will mark himself a traitor to both my dynasty and the Iron Throne.
    This goes as well to any other High Lord within the room. No matter the reforms which were being done, it is now the time to proof House Targaryen your loyality and your word. A man who fights for the pretender fights for an unsafe future and an untrustworthy reward, wheras a man fighting for the King will know that he will be rewarded. I do not doubt in the honor of every present Lord within this room, but my decision is clear.
    House Baratheon will fight for the rightful King of Westeros, who is still King Duncan I. Targaryen."

Sir Imry Waxley, the castellan of Longbow Hall, stands among the nobility of the Vale who deigned to attend, of which his lady was not one of them as she had left on one of her forays into the wilderness at least a fortnight before word of the summons reached Longbow Hall and the attempts to find her were unsuccessful, finding only a small clan that was driven southwards, some poaches, and a decent number of mountain goats. He sighs at the news of the Blackfyre conquest of Tyrosh, the coming war would surely mean the clansmen would take advantage of the lack of soldiers to patrol the passes and undo any of the gains made against them in the past few years.
    ---
    "He cuts himself upon the throne.." the lady of Kayce quietly says to one of her retainers and her sister Gwin, referencing the rumor that the throne cuts those that it rejects after noticing the king staring at his wrist along with hearing some of the hushed whispers of courtiers. She then looks over at Lannister when the king mentioned Blackfyre and conflict within the ranks of the realm. "This could be our chance to deal with the magistrates once and for all.." she thinks to herself as she quietly observes one of the lords at the front of the crowd step forward.

Jaehaerys stood in the background of the scene, looming silently like a statue as he observed his brother's weak effort. Nonetheless, it was good that he finally stirred himself from his usual drunken stupor. If Baratheon's sudden declaration of loyalty had been surprising, he did not show it , remaining as quietly stern as ever.

---

Lannister also remained silent, watching Baratheon swear loyalty with an expression of ambivalence. His nephew had been slain in the last war with the Black Dragon, and Gerold would never forgive him should he take their side now. After a long look at Kayce, he hesitantly stepped forward and took a knee before the King. The thought of taking Blackfyre's side had never seriously rested in his mind. A foreign king from a broken line had no place sitting on Aegon's throne.

"I am your servant as ever, Your Grace. Casterly Rock shall march for you."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Lord Harmund Lefford attended as part of the Lannister party, one of many Westerlands Lords in attendance. He nodded in agreement with Lord Lannister's declaration: the Leffords would back the Lannisters.

Lord Kevan Grafton, meanwhile, was not in attendance. He'd sent his uncle Edwin instead, who had brought his son Theo.

Arryn leaned back in his seat. Despite the mistakes you have made, you remain king. The old man shook his head. The knights of the Vale will ride for the Tagaryens, as kith and kin. Honor demanded it, duty. Never mind the fact that his own granddaughter bore Targaryen blood.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Lord Stark rose now, "Since the time of Aegon I House Stark has stayed loyal to the crown, that will not change now. The strength of the North is behind you. May this Blackfyre pretender be stamped out once and for all." Regardless of this mans faults the realm was being threatened, the king had called for aid and Lord Stark was honor bound to answer.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Daemon Mallister listened to the pledges made by the Westerlands, The north, The Vale and the stormlands. The only two who have not spoken in support were the Riverlands Dorne and the Ironborn. What were they waiting for and why were they not speaking yet. They needed the ironborn fleet and the Dorne and Riverlands troops. He prayed to the gods his Liege lord made the correct Decision in the coming war with the pretender. That he would side with the King and not the upstart. What would it cost to hired a faceless man he wondered.. Maybe they could end this invasion before it began. But it would be expensive and he knew the risks it would require.. Would he give up something important just to hire one ?.

He wondered about the strength of the Pretenders troops and how big of a fleet they had. Would it be possible to stop them dead in the water with the fleet of the 7 Kingdoms before they reach the shores of Westros . But how big of a navy did they even have and how big was the pretenders fleet. He looked around the room for the small council. Hoping he could give advice to some of them about the coming war. seeing none that he could recognized he waited for his liege lord to speak about what side they would take.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

The Lord of the Riverlands watched the proceedings and simply listened. Ultimately he'd have to swear support to the King - he was in the Red Keep, how could he not?

Regardless, this was a supremely interesting position to be in, for these nobles seemed genuine in their declarations. Arryn would be behind Targaryen, he knew, for such was the purpose of a political marriage. Lannister was unsurprising and the North clung to whatever pointless notions of honour that suited them. The irritating one was Baratheon - did he lie? Was he truthful? His support had come swiftly for a Lord supposedly angered by the King.

Axel Tully straightened his chaperon. As was typical of him, he was resplendent in a blue velvet doublet, with a stunning red houppelande with wide flaring sleeves over the top. "The Riverlords will put their differences with the Crown aside for the duration of this conflict - while there are still many outstanding issues, we will turn back Blackfyre before we continue to attempt to resolve them..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dread View Post
    Lord Ormund Baratheon stepped eventually forward, as he was among the Lords who would eventually have followed the King's call. Eyeing the other Lord Paramounts narrow, he spoke towards the King.
    "It is known that there was bad blood among the Crown and the recent reforms which went with it - you might remember when we spoke the last time with eachother, your grace, and you also know my opinion about it", he said calm, while though not threatening, "In times like these though these differences shall be put aside, as we won't allow the pretender a second time to land within the Stormlands unpunished."
    He then went on his knees, showing Duncan his respect.
    "By the bounds of marriage and in honor to my forefathers, the Stormlands will fight on your side, your grace. Anyone among my High Lords, who opposes this command, will mark himself a traitor to both my dynasty and the Iron Throne.
    This goes as well to any other High Lord within the room. No matter the reforms which were being done, it is now the time to proof House Targaryen your loyality and your word. A man who fights for the pretender fights for an unsafe future and an untrustworthy reward, wheras a man fighting for the King will know that he will be rewarded. I do not doubt in the honor of every present Lord within this room, but my decision is clear.
    House Baratheon will fight for the rightful King of Westeros, who is still King Duncan I. Targaryen."
    Duncan stood in front of the crown, flanked by Ser Duncan the Tall and Ser Kevan Tarly. Blood still dripping from his arm but he smiled nonetheless. The first declaration of many he thought. Not the least either, Baratheon had openly defied him at court so it was somewhat surprising. The King ought to keep a close look on Baratheon.

"Very honorable of you Lord Baratheon, the army's of the Storm Lands will be much needed."
    He said calmly and plain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Jaehaerys stood in the background of the scene, looming silently like a statue as he observed his brother's weak effort. Nonetheless, it was good that he finally stirred himself from his usual drunken stupor. If Baratheon's sudden declaration of loyalty had been surprising, he did not show it , remaining as quietly stern as ever.

---

Lannister also remained silent, watching Baratheon swear loyalty with an expression of ambivalence. His nephew had been slain in the last war with the Black Dragon, and Gerold would never forgive him should he take their side now. After a long look at Kayce, he hesitantly stepped forward and took a knee before the King. The thought of taking Blackfyre's side had never seriously rested in his mind. A foreign king from a broken line had no place sitting on Aegon's throne.

"I am your servant as ever, Your Grace. Casterly Rock shall march for you."
    Duncan looked over his shoulder at Jaeharys after Baratheon declared his loyalty, a small smirk to let his brother know he could handle himself if need be. Or at least that's what he thought about himself. Now came Lannister, the King expected nothing but loyalty from them. Regarding their history with the Blackfyre's.

The King indicated toward Lannister that he could rise from his knee "The Lion shall roar upon the field of battle my Lord Lannister."

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Arryn leaned back in his seat. Despite the mistakes you have made, you remain king. The old man shook his head. The knights of the Vale will ride for the Tagaryens, as kith and kin. Honor demanded it, duty. Never mind the fact that his own granddaughter bore Targaryen blood.
    The King made a fist at Arryn's words, blood now flowed faster from his hand but it quickly relaxed. The king said, rather frail "Yes, yes, I have made mistakes Lord Arryn. Yet I will welcome your Knights to take the field and trample the pretender."

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Lord Stark rose now, "Since the time of Aegon I House Stark has stayed loyal to the crown, that will not change now. The strength of the North is behind you. May this Blackfyre pretender be stamped out once and for all." Regardless of this mans faults the realm was being threatened, the king had called for aid and Lord Stark was honor bound to answer.

"Ah Lord Stark"
    the kind began. "Northern honor will be well represented on the field of battle. Together we shall throw these Blackfyre's back into the sea! once and for all!" The king roared, trying to be inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    The Lord of the Riverlands watched the proceedings and simply listened. Ultimately he'd have to swear support to the King - he was in the Red Keep, how could he not?

Regardless, this was a supremely interesting position to be in, for these nobles seemed genuine in their declarations. Arryn would be behind Targaryen, he knew, for such was the purpose of a political marriage. Lannister was unsurprising and the North clung to whatever pointless notions of honour that suited them. The irritating one was Baratheon - did he lie? Was he truthful? His support had come swiftly for a Lord supposedly angered by the King.

Axel Tully straightened his chaperon. As was typical of him, he was resplendent in a blue velvet doublet, with a stunning red houppelande with wide flaring sleeves over the top. "The Riverlords will put their differences with the Crown aside for the duration of this conflict - while there are still many outstanding issues, we will turn back Blackfyre before we continue to attempt to resolve them..."
    Tully stepped forward as one of the last LP's, it would be an understatement to say there was bad blood between him and the King. Yet the king had been carefully instructed by his brother to keep everyone happy at this summit and rally the armies of the seven kingdoms to combat the foreign threat once and for all. "We will destroy Blackfyre once and for all Lord Tully." The king said without any doubt in his voice. "I look forward to having you by my side when that happens Lord Tully."

-----------------

Last of the Wardens to come forward was Lord Tarly, Warden of the South and the replacement of the traitor Tyrell, who's heir much to Tarly's dismay was still the Lord Paramount of the Reach. He stood in simple clothes, you could see it was used before. Tarly was a man of action. Leading from the front and inspiring people. Much unlike the Kind for that matter. Tarly had once thought of helping the Blackfyre cause but the absence of people to take up their cause in Westeros and the Targaryan's marrying off one of their own to a Tarly had thwarted those plans. Tarly took to his knee and said "Now and always, will I defend the true Targaryan line your Grace. The Reach is with you." He concluded with his deep voice and large stature.

------------------

The Kind nodded at Tarly's declaration. He was happy that so much came to declare support. "My lords, I thank you all for this. We shall assemble our great Hosts on two locations. Moat Calin will be the rally point for the North, Vale and Riverlands. The others at King's Landing." The King nodded when he was done with talking signifying the end of his speech. "All Lord Paramount's are invited to attend the small council meeting which will discuss the military matters further, after that everyone is invited to dine here." The King concluded before leaving.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

"I think not, Sire. I have no interest in mustering a host to march 200 miles or more north of my lands and then return south again to feet. Such foolishness breeds mutiny and discontent. If the armies of the Vale, Riverlands and North are to rally, let it be in a sensible location. Let us muster at the crossing of Lord Harroway's Town, the Valesmen can cross the Trident at the town and the Northmen can move through the Twins and march down along the river. It is far more efficient on both parts. "

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast