Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crash when starting campaign

Default Re: Crash when starting campaign

Again, more news:

We have accomplished running the campaign using the old v1 maps (We will try v2 as soon as we solve last problems and learn about them) but we have a big issue: we dont know why, but the map 510x329 dont work, however, if we reescalate it to 400x212, it works and campaign starts. It doesnt work if we instead of 510 use 500, to introduce a small change that doesnt affect us to design.

U know where can be the problem? Losing 110 pixels it is a huge loss for the design of the map.

Hello, im here again.

I created a "vanilla" bare geomod and just swap all .tga to my .tga files.
    I have uploaded simplefied .tga files (heights only black - blue, climates only mediterranean...) and the real .tga (with the "final" version of map). The simplified is to try make things easier when testing until the mod load, and the real are the ones i will use when mod run properly.

The only two files that I dont know how to make are map_regions.txt and map_regions.tga. I tried making it from scratch but... I dont know if i did it well.

I hope that some of u know where I am doing it wrong and can help me a little.

Any ideas?

https://mega.nz/#!248ywaAC!dv8nPfyVpevaic1n53_DWYJ_eWJCm97EQocRwSuCEO4

Thanks!!

PS: Im not the scripter of the modder (The scripter is another guy, who is learning too) so maybe I make mistakes trying to do his work to have this "alpha" version (not working) released here. Im sorry!

Alright, I quickly putted in order your mapping related txt.files, and the mod launch a new playthrough, but crash right after. Do not touch anything else until you have beaten the crash. Here is the link.
    https://mega.nz/#!9q513bhR!XOuoWOZ-P...sS9qAKFzhy-PBk
    Make a backup of it before trying something because you are almost there.

I had a similar problem once and reducing the size of a too big region with Geomod solved it instantly, but I might be wrong, it has been a while. Use only geomod to not confuse yourself with all the files individually until the crash is solved. Don't put a town on the sea, it's useless and potentially bad, I removed the black dot on the sea.
    I think your problem is that you must put a new region rgb on all the ground type that aren't water, and possibly have a minimum of ten regions?
    Try with geomod only, and when adding a region, do everything like it is said in the manual. Don't skip anything.

Now come on, fellows, he must not be far now, his mod launch a campaign and crash right after. The log has nothing useful but it is in the archive. Someone else around must know more than me on scratch mapping? Remember when you knew nothing and needed a point in the right direction?
    Last edited by selv; December 07, 2017 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by selv View Post
    Alright, I quickly putted in order your mapping related txt.files, and the mod launch a new playthrough, but crash right after. Do not touch anything else until you have beaten the crash. Here is the link.
    https://mega.nz/#!9q513bhR!XOuoWOZ-P...sS9qAKFzhy-PBk
    Make a backup of it before trying something because you are almost there.

I had a similar problem once and reducing the size of a too big region with Geomod solved it instantly, but I might be wrong, it has been a while. Use only geomod to not confuse yourself with all the files individually until the crash is solved. Don't put a town on the sea, it's useless and potentially bad, I removed the black dot on the sea.
    I think your problem is that you must put a new region rgb on all the ground type that aren't water, and possibly have a minimum of ten regions?
    Try with geomod only, and when adding a region, do everything like it is said in the manual. Don't skip anything.

Now come on, fellows, he must not be far now, his mod launch a campaign and crash right after. The log has nothing useful but it is in the archive. Someone else around must know more than me on scratch mapping? Remember when you knew nothing and needed a point in the right direction?
    Thanks u so much selv!

My teammate (the scripter) wont be home until Saturday, but I'll try to get myselt, to see if I can solve what you say.

So recapitulating,

1) Use at least 10 regions and none very big.
    2) Do not use ports yet, only cities, and placed in land (Check if they are properly placed).
    3) Put regions in all land ground type without covering any part other than water.

Finally, what guide do you recommend? I am using the Word of Gigantus (Creating a World), but perhaps there is another more complete that I do not know.

LOV U SO MUCH SELV! Hahahaha this is working!!

1) Created about 15-20 regions (Some of them are huuuuge!)
    2) Placed all cities properly, and no ports yet.
    3) All existing land/grounds are part of a region, no of sea.

This is working!! I have now some graphic issues but nothing compared to have the mod running now!

Some pics:
    https://imgur.com/ndFW0bh
    https://imgur.com/jGFFypw

PS: The map looks huuuuuuge! Though it would be smaller!

That's right. Limit yourself to ten, eleven regions max with the minimal required for a region to be valid, and don't touch any file manually for now, only geomod as it do everything for you in simple region creation/placement. Gigantus has a little guide in geomod manual to add a region with the tool, follow it to the letter.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3883

Frankly, all appear fine to launch except for this big sea region covering almost all your ground type. If the campaign launch but crash, it's that you are near but the system log is rarely useful for maps, it will be more of use with campaign script and the like.

Edit: Man, I must stop typing and cooking at the same time, mhha, ha. You doubled me from ten minutes... Well great to know, JZG.
    Remember to always keep everything that work in a backup and don't do too much at once with no tests.
    Last edited by selv; December 07, 2017 at 11:33 AM.

All "final" .tga are working, only the features are failing.

So the new checklist:
    - Smooth coast lines.
    - Solve the pink zones.
    - Solve the features.tga.

And i think i know how to solve them all, so nice!

Then I can work on details to correct the map (Now i can see what i did and change what i dont want) and do the real regions, step by step.

Picture with all tgas:
    https://imgur.com/a/Tx7Bq

Thanks selv!!

Some questions:

- How can i solve pink zones? They are "low fertile" ground type, but although the RGB code is the correct (0,128,128 without checking it on PS) and the same that in vanilla, it appears pink so I dont know why is happening this.
    - Any guide about how to put cliffs properly? They look bad.

Did you try looking for answers in the mapping tutorials? I am sure someone else must have encountered your pink zones. Maybe a height too low (just theorizing)
    The cliff, you mean the yellow element right? Didn't use this one I think but setting other elements like rivers is easy in Geomod?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...rces-amp-Tools

Ok, i will take a look! Thx!! Bussy week, but still happy, knowing that the map run! Hahaha

Will post a long message soon, with news.

- Coast lines smoothened (Followed this guide, with some personal changes http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?669184)
    - Pink zones solved (Layer of the low fertile was 98% opacity... hahaha)
    - The cliffs are not yet resolved

- Improved ground type and climates. Need improve heights latter.

Im doing now a real regions.tga, step by step, testing it each 10-15 regions.

So, for now, everything is going fine, thanks u so much selv! U deserve a big title on the credits of our mod!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Cliffs - that's detail stuff where the Geomod tool excels, check the manual as well. When placing cliffs you may have to adjust the underlying height map (coast line) to make it 'fit' properly 'under' the cliff pixels.
    Nearly all tgas can take 'smudging' without crashing teh game. The exception is map_regions were it has to be a 'solid' RGB area, else it will crash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12