Thread: Installing EB 2 on Ubuntu LInux? Help pls !

Default Installing EB 2 on Ubuntu LInux? Help pls !

I just switched to Ubuntu and as expected the experience is a bit overwhelming so far.

I was surprised to find out that Medieval II was ported to Linux as well on steam and I was initially glad there are instructions here on how to install EB2 for Linux users. Now I barely managed to get some software properly installed on my Ubuntu (either through the terminal or from their "store"-still very confuse even about these basic things) and I was so happy that I got Medieval II to work from the start. Considering that, I assumed I will be even more lost when comes to get this mod installed on top of my medieval and so it was.

To start with, what content I have to download through the torrent client for my Ubuntu : the Installer or Non-Installer one?

I downloaded the Installer one. I have a EB II folder in which there is a EBII.exe and and that multitude of bin files. Im not sure how Linux works and how should I see these but is that exe a ZIP/compresed file? I tried to execute it by double clicking but it said " A error occured while loading file" and this came from the so called Archive manager (default arrchiver on Ubuntu?). Then I right-click on that exe and saw there is an Extract here option and choose that but I got the same error. I said myself that I must have the wrong package.

Am I right ? If so, I just downloaded the other one. How should I proceed with this one?
    Last edited by Kranos; November 24, 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Default Re: Installing EB 2 on Ubuntu LInux? Help pls !

In order to run .exe files in Linux you need to install Wine. To install it try running this command in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Once you have Wine install you will be able to run the EB installer.

Due to a bug in the Linux port of M2TW modded settlements don't work so if you play EB with the Linux version you'll have to fight seige battles in vanilla medieval settlements. Fortunately you can also run the Windows version of M2 in Linux with Wine. I used PlayOnLinux to install the mod because it makes things a little less confusing, at least for me. I'll post up instructions on how to do that later when I have more time.

yeah It would be very usefull and you could save me alot of time and headache from digging through old and non related wine and playonlinux videos and posts. Also have you heard about that Lutris platform that allows you to install games from every platform on LInux? I suppose no one tested it with TW mods.

Meanhwile giving my slow connection I think should I start downloading the windows Med II version by now but where/how to start with wine? do I have to uninstall the current Med TW (the Linux version?) or can I have both

well in the OP they only mention wine for Mac so that has to be adjusted. Also whats with the
    Mac users are also assumed to have wine to run the installer exe with, if not however, there is a ZIP version to download which means you will not have to use the exe.
    this apply only to mac and not for Linux users as well ?

also are you sure they havent solved the settlements issue? I see this in the post install instructions
    2. Delete your settlements folder in share/data/mods/ebii/data
    Last edited by Kranos; November 24, 2017 at 04:20 PM.

Just download the zip and unzip it into the M2TW folder. Its much easier this way. Your also going to have to lowercase all of the file and folder names in the mod, you can do this with a python or bash script if you look it up. I did have to delete the settlements folder, or else I had crashes during siege battles. I have Ubuntu 17.10, so if you have any issues feel free to ask me.

well I simply run the exe from the isntaller package with Wine inside the wine Steam/Medieval II windows version. Then I only add that extension to the steam launch option and it seems to work. Should I do smth else. I tried to find that banners mesh but it seems this is only for EB being installed in the Linux version of Med and I couldnt find it
    1. Copy no_banner.mesh from share/data/mods/ebii/data/banners to share/data/data/banners (yes outside of the mod's folder)

Quote Originally Posted by perrypus View Post
    Just download the zip and unzip it into the M2TW folder. Its much easier this way. Your also going to have to lowercase all of the file and folder names in the mod, you can do this with a python or bash script if you look it up. I did have to delete the settlements folder, or else I had crashes during siege battles. I have Ubuntu 17.10, so if you have any issues feel free to ask me.
    I don't think this is really necessary, I didn't touch the file and folder names and the game runs fine for me. I've only had problems when trying to install a patch and the cases of the file and folder names in the patch didn't match the case of the base install.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathodaimon View Post
    well I simply run the exe from the isntaller package with Wine inside the wine Steam/Medieval II windows version. Then I only add that extension to the steam launch option and it seems to work. Should I do smth else. I tried to find that banners mesh but it seems this is only for EB being installed in the Linux version of Med and I couldnt find it
    If it's working for you then I don't think you have to do anything different. I just like using PlayOnLinux because it was easier for me that way. Playing the game with Wine is basically the same as playing it on a Windows machine, so you don't have to worry about deleting banners.mesh or following any of the other Linux installation instructions. Those steps are just workarounds to get the mod running on the Feral Interactives port.

Anyway here's how I installed the game, using PlayOnLinux:

1. Click on "Install a Program", search for Steam and install.

2. Once Steam is installed and updated log in and install M2TW.

3. Click on Steam, then click on "configure". Click on the "Miscellaneous" tab and then click "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive". Find EBII.exe and run it. From this point forward you can follow the Windows installation instructions.

4. In order to access the game files you can click on Steam and then click "open the directory" to the left or you can click on "configure", go to the "miscellaneous" tab and the click "Open the program's directory".

5. To run the mod, select Steam, click "configure", then click "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive". Select launch.bat (not EB_Launcher.exe), then click next. Name the new shortcut "EB II" or whatever you like and PlayOnLinux will create a shortcut on your desktop and the main menu for you to click whenever you want to play the mod.

It's been a while since I installed the mod myself so if there's any problems let me know.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; November 25, 2017 at 11:29 PM.

well there are other instructions for everybody like "Run the mod using the shortcut placed in your start menu or desktop. Start a campaign, then quit" after you isntal the mod.

I also used playonlinux to install steam . Sorry I forgot to specify that, not just wine.

seems the guys from playonlinux thought pretty much about everything. In this case the EB install thread needs to be updated I suppose.

I have a very annoying linux system feature that messes up with my gameplay. That is when I alt+right click in order to order my units to get into melee if im not 100% with my mouse on the enemy unit a small panel with "minimize, maximize, move, resize etc " options appears. Any workaround for this pls ?

Do you happen to have installed other Total war games with Play on Linux like Rome 2 ? We can talk in private later but I should start by mentioning that even though my Rome 2 and the mods seem to run just fine I have a graphics problem in both campaign and battle map

https://photos.app.goo.gl/waj2YgX42364ecWF3

Now I have those proprietary drivers from Nvidia on my Linux (in the software and updates>additional drivers it reads that Im using Nvidia binary driver and also have an option for the Nvidia legacy binary driver ). BTW how to manage the usual 3d settings from Nvidia control panel inside that " thing" on linux -Nvidia X server Settings ?
    Last edited by Kranos; November 26, 2017 at 09:36 AM.

well there are other instructions for everybody like "Run the mod using the shortcut placed in your start menu or desktop. Start a campaign, then quit" after you isntal the
    mod.
    You should follow those, it's just the Linux specific instructions you can skip because you're playing with the Windows version of the game.

I have a very annoying linux system feature that messes up with my gameplay. That is when I alt+right click in order to order my units to get into melee if im not 100% with my mouse on the enemy unit a small panel with "minimize, maximize, move, resize etc " options appears. Any workaround for this pls ?
    I'm using Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu and it doesn't have this problem. Maybe you could try changing the key bindings in the game menu or in the system menu.

Do you happen to have installed other Total war games with Play on Linux like Rome 2 ? We can talk in private later but I should start by mentioning that even though my Rome 2 and the mods seem to run just fine I have a graphics problem in both campaign and battle map

https://photos.app.goo.gl/waj2YgX42364ecWF3

Now I have those proprietary drivers from Nvidia on my Linux (in the software and updates>additional drivers it reads that Im using Nvidia binary driver and also have an option for the Nvidia legacy binary driver ). BTW how to manage the usual 3d settings from Nvidia control panel inside that " thing" on linux -Nvidia X server Settings ?
    I only play EB and I've got an AMD card so I'm afraid I can't help you here either. I do know though that graphics drivers can be a pain on Linux, games ran like garbage on my system until I was able to get the drivers figured out.

I'm using Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu and it doesn't have this problem. Maybe you could try changing the key bindings in the game menu or in the system menu.
    I think those are linux/ubuuntu windows options . Disabled the windowed mode but they still pop-out .

EDIT: installed an advanced system settings utility " CompizConfig settings " and at Key bindings ▸ "Window Menu" ( Alt + Button3) change it to Shift. and it doesnt appear anymore
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5USwq62jVXbcgEKO2
    Last edited by Kranos; November 26, 2017 at 03:55 PM.

edited~