Thread: Why Diadochi factions do not recruit phalanx units ?

romy's Avatar Semisalis

Default Why Diadochi factions do not recruit phalanx units ?

Hi there,

I was scouting the map on turn 70 of my Baktrian campaign and found out that there are very few phalanx units in Seleucid stacks and cities. More hoplite units than phalanxes. I thought it was the case for the Greek City States only. I had the same conclusion when I scouted other hellenistic factions on the previous version of the mod.
    I know that those units are expensive but aren't they meant to be the backbone of Diadochi armies ? At least during the early game ? Or am I wrong ?

Thanks for your answers guys.
    R.I.P. Calvin

Default Re: Why Diadochi factions do not recruit phalanx units ?

I seem to recall reading that if you want Phalangites, you'll find them largely in Anatolia. I don't know how many Phalangites are out in backwater Iran, but probably not as many--my understanding is many of the settlers in Asia were hellenified Thracians.

What the AI recruits depends on many factors like the priority offset, but also unit price and stats. The phalangites have lower than average stats, so it would be possible the AI value them less than hoplites, or is simply unable to recruit many phalangites due to their price. I've seen the AI use plenty of the levy pikes (pantodapoi et others), perhaps due to their cost.

Moreover after the thorakitai reform, all the level two hellenistic colonies in the middle east will lose the ability to recruit phalangites, being available only in the level 3. If you want to use phalangites long term you should try to hold either the nile delta/syria/macedon, or the southern-western coast of anatolia.

PS. technically the Diadokhoi are only the macedonian states who trace their origin to alexander's generals, not every hellenistic nation.
    Last edited by Hellenikon; November 18, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

All of the above, but availability is going to be the primary restriction out east. Simply put, Makedonians don't settle that far out. The only kind of phalanxes Baktria is likely to come up against from the Seleukids are the native sort, plus a leavening of mercenaries.

Fight the Seleukids in Anatolia or Syria, and it's going to be a different story.

romy's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for your replies guys. Greatly appreciated.
    R.I.P. Calvin