Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Default Re: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    "They only used a fraction of it as well" This is hearsay or CA marketing speak. No-one knows any real technical details until perf tests are done. Fact!

Well then some people wont buy their product. (you might say who cares...fair enough..I dont). Plus if someone appears "arty" in an interview its making a statment no? Again make of that what you will. I dont know for sure and never said so hence why I used a questionmark.

But it could be logical to assume he is saying "look at me am the creative drive so this is what you are going to get in-game". Or maybe he just fancied wearing that on the day?...he can do what he wants. Again who cares? (in the grand scheme of things).

Plus emphasising one area to me seems illogical...why not do both? Why does one have to suffer at the expense of the other? I am always of the view anything can be done and everyones desires/preferances can be done...(although its hard to please all). And thats why we have mods!

p.s Forgot to mention another caveat with this release! It's going to have dlc? WTF!!! So restrict say the Scots? Viking factions. No way Jose CA no way...enough is enough.
    Your focus on Jack's attire says far more about you than it does him, as does your contempt for people who can't spend a lot of money on their rig.

Simply put, the idea that anything can be done to please everyone is ridiculous. People, even on this forum, have opposing views on what they want in a TW game. Nothing is ever going to be able to please all of us. What you really want is something that pleases you, and then call anyone who doesn't agree with you wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    Your focus on Jack's attire says far more about you than it does him, as does your contempt for people who can't spend a lot of money on their rig.

Simply put, the idea that anything can be done to please everyone is ridiculous. People, even on this forum, have opposing views on what they want in a TW game. Nothing is ever going to be able to please all of us. What you really want is something that pleases you, and then call anyone who doesn't agree with you wrong.
    Errr no! And focus on his attire? What? It's a simple observation no need to get all upset.

And whatever. Stick me on the ignore list am not interested in any further discussion if you arent here to talk sensibly and just want to make things personal. (which you are clearly doing by trying to make it out that I want to attack a member of CA...I dont am just saying one can interpret things that way...).

And if you can prove me wrong go for it. Otherwise yes you are wrong...so far you havent come up with anything of note.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 06, 2018 at 09:43 AM.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

The engine is moving forward. You can see it with 64bits WH1+2. It still has problems but do you think a brand new engine will solve all things over night?

I donīt care what is Jack wearing, it is not my style but whatever. What i care about is, that Jack was behind FotS, AoC and there projects were better TWs.

What is problem with DLC for Saga game? From beginning CA said it is like FotS but bigger so everybody could expect a few DLCs...
    Last edited by Daruwind; February 06, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    The engine is moving forward. You can see it with 64bits WH1+2. It still has problems but do you think a brand new engine will solve all things over night?

I donīt care what is Jack wearing, it is not my style but whatever. What i care about is, that Jack was behind FotS, AoC and there projects were better TWs.

What is problem with DLC for Saga game? From beginning CA said it is like FotS but bigger so everybody could expect a few DLCs...
    For the love of God I dont care either what he wears! Plus we agree to disagree..."the engine is moving forward"....one can reply "how long is a piece of string?"

Some people accept things for what they are and will always say "well this will happen or this will be optimised"...again I cant prove/disappove this. Bt doesnt impress me much and I like to be impressed! Its why I spend money. No?

p.s I dont like DLC/Cut content (Factions)/Lootboxes/Pay to win etc etc. It's a sickness in the games industry but luckily we can do the right thing and vote with our wallets. Although in a lot of cases it's people (kids) who have more money than sense. Still if they are getting a lot of fun from it I am not that bothered. (kids will be kids).

But it's ok Daruwind etc I wont be around here for long! Have more pressing priorities in life...maybe in a few years when I save enough for a new rig I will do some performances tests after I pick up on sale. (dont get me wrong there's not a single total war havent got yet..ok ok Warhammer 2... )
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 06, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

For the love of God I dont care either what he wears! Plus we agree to disagree..."the engine is moving forward"....one can reply "how long is a piece of string?"

Some people accept things for what they are and will always say "well this will happen or this will be optimised"...again I cant prove/disappove this. Bt doesnt impress me much and I like to be impressed! Its why I spend money. No?

p.s I dont like DLC/Cut content (Factions)/Lootboxes/Pay to win etc etc. It's a sickness in the games industry but luckily we can do the right thing and vote with our wallets. Although in a lot of cases it's people (kids) who have more money than sense. Still if they are getting a lot of fun from it I am not that bothered. (kids will be kids).

But it's ok Daruwind etc I wont be around here for long! Have more pressing priorities in life...maybe in a few years when I save enough for a new rig I will do some performances tests after I pick up on sale. (dont get me wrong there's not a single total war havent got yet..ok ok Warhammer 2... )
    I feel like I started this whole 'cravat' issue .

Anyway, I have no idea about the engine and how/when they should move onto another one. My biggest issue with TW since Empire (excluding possibly Shogun 2) has been the scale of the campaign map. I didn't like that it was basically a flat Risk board. By that I mean the scale made it impossible to include any kind of interesting geography with which to outmaneuver an enemy army before the battle itself. That's why I like the sound of Thrones of Britannia (and the Saga games in general). I also feel like CA could really do with focusing their research as well - Attila showed pretty glaringly that their research dept was overstretched!

It may just be a campaign map overhaul but it's the one major thing that we can't seem to mod. So more variety sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I feel like I started this whole 'cravat' issue .

Anyway, I have no idea about the engine and how/when they should move onto another one. My biggest issue with TW since Empire (excluding possibly Shogun 2) has been the scale of the campaign map. I didn't like that it was basically a flat Risk board. By that I mean the scale made it impossible to include any kind of interesting geography with which to outmaneuver an enemy army before the battle itself. That's why I like the sound of Thrones of Britannia (and the Saga games in general). I also feel like CA could really do with focusing their research as well - Attila showed pretty glaringly that their research dept was overstretched!

It may just be a campaign map overhaul but it's the one major thing that we can't seem to mod. So more variety sounds good to me.
    Aye! Its something I have suggested previously...we have pretty good maps here in the British Isles and a lot of good work done by historians lets create this on the battle map...

Use of geography was very important...look every battle doesnt have to be an epic siege but they did make use of local terrain. (Cornwell in his books although fiction gives pretty good examples of where one could make use of terrain...)

e.g Brithnoth killed by the Vikings at Maldon...he tried to stop them on a causeway n failed. This would go a long way in really impoving the titles. Another example would be Say York and Dublin plus I believe a Mr.Moffat wrote an interesting book on areas of Scotland but not sure re the time period...I know he talks quite a bit about centers for calvalry forces (Arthur was Scots not from S Britain! )....(isnt there a place called Moffat?).

And it has a racecourse?
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 06, 2018 at 11:11 AM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Aye! Its something I have suggested previously...we have pretty good maps here in the British Isles and a lot of good work done by historians lets create this on the battle map...

Use of geography was very important...look every battle doesnt have to be an epic siege but they did make use of local terrain.

e.g Brithnoth killed by the Vikings at Maldon...he tried to stop them on a causeway n failed. This would go a long way in really impoving the titles. Another example would be Say York and Dublin plus I believe a Mr.Moffat wrote an interesting book on areas of Scotland used to house perhaps Arthurs knights etc....(isnt there a place called Moffat?).
    There is a place called Moffat. I haven't heard that one though I've read other stuff by Moffat when I was at uni. If you are interested in Arthur's knights and all that, you should have a read of Finding Merlin by Adam Ardrey. Good read.

Yeah I think there definitely should be more in the way of geography in the battle maps.

I would settle for the ability to place specific custom made battle maps into the campaign at a specific place/settlement (I don't know if that is going to be possible in the modding of Thrones of Britannia). It's obvious CA don't have the time/want to make a wider variation of siege maps but I'd love to be able to try recreate some of the cool places that exist (like Dumbarton Rock below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dumbarton Castle.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	350732

On a side note I have an idea for CA (maybe to expensive to pay someone to do this) pay for someone to go about and map the castles and forts (whats left of the major ones in the map) with a drone. I have mapped castles before, takes 15 minutes and then you can export it as a 3D model/point map. Would seem like a cool/relatively pain free way to get a very accurate representation into game.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    There is a place called Moffat. I haven't heard that one though I've read other stuff by Moffat when I was at uni. If you are interested in Arthur's knights and all that, you should have a read of Finding Merlin by Adam Ardrey. Good read.

Yeah I think there definitely should be more in the way of geography in the battle maps.

I would settle for the ability to place specific custom made battle maps into the campaign at a specific place/settlement (I don't know if that is going to be possible in the modding of Thrones of Britannia). It's obvious CA don't have the time/want to make a wider variation of siege maps but I'd love to be able to try recreate some of the cool places that exist (like Dumbarton Rock below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dumbarton Castle.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	350732

On a side note I have an idea for CA (maybe to expensive to pay someone to do this) pay for someone to go about and map the castles and forts (whats left of the major ones in the map) with a drone. I have mapped castles before, takes 15 minutes and then you can export it as a 3D model/point map. Would seem like a cool/relatively pain free way to get a very accurate representation into game.
    I love the drone idea but CA should be able to access plenty of material without a drone but why not?

Will have a look for that book. Am in need of a good read! I might read some more Moffat stuff I found his one book I read fascinating...(will have a look for it n mention it here).

But yeah things like Dumbarton rock etc acting as strategic points separate to say major settlements would add another lvl to the fun.

What about Bamburgh for the Northumbrians and am sure Offa's dyke could have been used at some point..although I don't think there's any recorded official battle...

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    War of the Roses would be a nice fit as well. I would consider putting together a team to work on that.
    A nice idea but it wouldn't really work with the trash siege maps and AI.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    A nice idea but it wouldn't really work with the trash siege maps and AI.
    Thats not really a reason for the entire idea not being feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Thats not really a reason for the entire idea not being feasible.
    It's not infeasible, but a 15th century overhaul minus medieval fortifications effectively compromises the theme in my view. Depending on how you wanted to construct the scenario, I imagine there would also be significant problems in modelling the nature of the wars themelves. Total War is designed around the concept of absolute military conquest rather than a series of intermittent, familial coups.
    Last edited by Cope; February 08, 2018 at 07:02 AM.

I have only played maybe twice an entire campaign. Once I get to a point where I know I cannot be stopped, then the game ceases to be a challenge and I stop playing. In ETW I play for prestige anyway. I also mod the game, to make unrealistic conquest infeasible. At this stage, what can or cannot be done is speculation.

I have only played maybe twice an entire campaign. Once I get to a point where I know I cannot be stopped, then the game ceases to be a challenge and I stop playing. In ETW I play for prestige anyway. I also mod the game, to make unrealistic conquest infeasible. At this stage, what can or cannot be done is speculation.
    It's true that the scope of modding for Thrones is unknown. Nevertheless, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that it'll follow a similar pattern to recent releases. I sincerely doubt that CA will make tools available which will enable modders to effectively create new siege maps which the AI is capable of navigating. Based on what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like they've even bothered to upgrade the siege maps much themselves. Instead they appear to have once again deferred siege AI/map issues by simply reducing the number of regions that can come under siege so as to reduce the impact of the incompetence of the SAI/maps.

It's true that the scope of modding for Thrones is unknown. Nevertheless, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that it'll follow a similar pattern to recent releases. I sincerely doubt that CA will make tools available which will enable modders to effectively create new siege maps which the AI is capable of navigating. Based on what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like they've even bothered to upgrade the siege maps much themselves. Instead they appear to have once again deferred siege AI/map issues by simply reducing the number of regions that can come under siege so as to reduce the impact of the incompetence of the SAI/maps.
    You are making a number of assumptions. I wasn't referring to changing the maps, but the models themselves. The pathfinding issue has been a recurring theme. It has been more pronounced in the battle maps which helps explains the difficulty of sieges. I doubt modding would be any more effective than game designers.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-gaels

Info about the Gaels, Mide and Circenn (no rosters yet).

You are making a number of assumptions.
    Naturally.

I wasn't referring to changing the maps, but the models themselves.
    ?

The pathfinding issue has been a recurring theme. It has been more pronounced in the battle maps which helps explains the difficulty of sieges. I doubt modding would be any more effective than game designers.
    My point was that a Wars of the Roses themed campaign (whilst an interesting idea) would be severely restricted by the current state of the siege AI and maps. In my view it would be difficult to capture the essence of the 15th century so long as medieval style fortifications and a competent siege AI are absent.

My point was that a Wars of the Roses themed campaign (whilst an interesting idea) would be severely restricted by the current state of the siege AI and maps. In my view it would be difficult to capture the essence of the 15th century so long as medieval style fortifications and a competent siege AI are absent.
    Nobody knows if modding support for siege battles will be released, but the AI argument applies to all Total Wars and any time period, and that hasn't stopped anyone from making mods.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    Nobody knows if modding support for siege battles will be released, but the AI argument applies to all Total Wars and any time period, and that hasn't stopped anyone from making mods.
    The problem becomes more pronounced if you're attempting to replicate an era in which siege warfare was a central theme, especially when CA's graphical assets (in terms of siege maps) do not align with the period.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't make the mods they want to make: it's simply an observation. So far as I'm aware there is still an ongoing project to create a Lord of the Rings campaign modification for Attila even though, to the best of my knowledge, it won't be possible to include Middle Earth.
    Last edited by Cope; February 08, 2018 at 11:19 AM.

The problem becomes more pronounced if you're attempting to replicate an era in which siege warfare was a central theme, especially when CA's graphical assets (in terms of siege maps) do not align with the period.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't make the mods they want to make: it's simply an observation. So far as I'm aware there is still an ongoing project to create a Lord of the Rings campaign modification for Attila even though, to the best of my knowledge, it won't be possible to include Middle Earth.
    You basically just wasted our times!
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 08, 2018 at 02:41 PM.

You basically just wasted out times!
    Welcome to the internet xD