Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

After I watched the video that SturmChurro posted I find the Thrones of Britannia to be enough exciting, I might buy the game.

But pre-order it, nah, I dunno if I want to make the same mistake as I did with Rome2 TW, which was my first ever pre-ordered TW game.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Yeah, I do not buy games anymore at release. What you buy is a beta standard game. I rather the issues to be flushed out by the lab rats. Moreover, the unique packages offered always become a DLC at some point.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    It is strange that people keep referring to Jack's outfit in the interview. The man has a unique style. I could never wear it, but that's who he is.
    If you look at the employment division within CA there isn't a historical research division. They outsource it. The technical game design is in-house. I honestly find their interest in history to be similar to a history enthusiast you might run into on the street.
    I was just kidding about the cravat. Seriously though every interview and press release before the last couple days was about Alfred the Great. It just worries me as CA have been guilty of just copying and pasting cultures etc onto under-researched areas. When Jack is interviewed and all he mentions in Wessex every time, you start to wonder what they are up to.

There is a lot of focus on Ireland now which is good but my current worry is more that the Irish Gaelic culture will be copied and pasted onto the Scottish Gaelic (which from an archaeological point of view, appear to have been very different).

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I was just kidding about the cravat. Seriously though every interview and press release before the last couple days was about Alfred the Great. It just worries me as CA have been guilty of just copying and pasting cultures etc onto under-researched areas. When Jack is interviewed and all he mentions in Wessex every time, you start to wonder what they are up to.

There is a lot of focus on Ireland now which is good but my current worry is more that the Irish Gaelic culture will be copied and pasted onto the Scottish Gaelic (which from an archaeological point of view, appear to have been very different).
    The focus on Alfred and Wessex is likely because they're the most popular figure/state from the period thanks to English folklore and some more modern media.

From the Youtuber statements with the preview build, it seems like Mide and Circenn will have a shared culture mechanic as they'll both be under the "Gaelic Kingdoms" culture grouping. If the way the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms were handled still holds, then each faction will then still have a unique faction mechanic.

I think the common Gaelic trait was that they get bonuses for holding more land within their ancestral homelands. So Mide gets bonuses for holding more of Ireland and Circenn gets the same for holding Scotland. One of the Youtubers also mentioned that Mide's faction trait had to do with festivals.

This is similar to Empire. It is actually more geographically and historically correct. Villages start off with a single function. If the site and situation are right, then the city can develop more functions.

If there was any knock against total war is how easy it was to go to war. The diplomatic penalties weren't enough IMHO.
    Yeah it does sound more realistic, but I think it also said these won't have garrisons (iirc), and since most of the settlements in the game will be these one building villages, farms, etc. couldn't you or the ai just steamroll through these settlements? Higher difficulties will definitely give the ai cheats towards their armies and economies as well. Hopefully the new mechanics like war fervour will work well. They sound good at least.

Hopefully zone of control rules apply equally to both the human player and the AI so that you can cut off and stamp out raiding stacks. It got old really fast in Attila when raiders could never be surrounded or choked off. I've pre-ordered (charity and all that), but if it's just a whack-a-mole raid-a-thon without a functioning ZoC, I'll reconsider my purchase and start thinking about a refund.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

I´m actually pretty excited. Firstly Attila was one of the hardest but most fun TW for me so far. I bet they will improve performance a bit at least. There is a ton of new mechanics and while unit variety might be problem, that is nothing modders cannot improve. Seriously units are one of most easily fixable things here...

We have seen a lot of simplification in WH in terms of campaign,economy,logistic. This sound quite opposite to me. And don´t judge building slots yet. i prefer CA to try to find right balance by trying different formulas.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    The focus on Alfred and Wessex is likely because they're the most popular figure/state from the period thanks to English folklore and some more modern media.

From the Youtuber statements with the preview build, it seems like Mide and Circenn will have a shared culture mechanic as they'll both be under the "Gaelic Kingdoms" culture grouping. If the way the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms were handled still holds, then each faction will then still have a unique faction mechanic.

I think the common Gaelic trait was that they get bonuses for holding more land within their ancestral homelands. So Mide gets bonuses for holding more of Ireland and Circenn gets the same for holding Scotland. One of the Youtubers also mentioned that Mide's faction trait had to do with festivals.
    Yeah I get that they will be trying to piggy back off the success of The Last Kingdom and all that - I don't have an issue with that.

My problem is that in past TW games have had some pretty glaring holes in terms of research. Then when I see the interviews it doesn't fill me with confidence that the same thing isn't going to happen again.

Again with the Gaelic cultures being lumped into one, it wouldn't be much of an issue if, like you said - it was referring to bonuses and that each faction mechanic would be different. What I worry will happen will be that the Irish Gaelic factions, that CA have obviously done a bit of work on, would be copy and pasted over the Western Scottish factions. I would get that Mide might share the same culture with Gallgoidel in Scotland but probably not with Circenn who were arguably a Britonic culture.

Fingers crossed though, I am excited for this game - I just want CA to show us that they are not making the same mistakes they usually make before I go and buy it.

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POINT: Did any modders manage to bring muskets into Attila? I'm just thinking that the Thrones of Britannia map would be great for a Pike and Shot mod.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POINT: Did any modders manage to bring muskets into Attila? I'm just thinking that the Thrones of Britannia map would be great for a Pike and Shot mod.
    The Medieval Kingdoms mod has very early arquebus'. It'd be nice if someone with the skills ported some really nice looking muskets/rifles.

Yeah I get that they will be trying to piggy back off the success of The Last Kingdom and all that - I don't have an issue with that.

My problem is that in past TW games have had some pretty glaring holes in terms of research. Then when I see the interviews it doesn't fill me with confidence that the same thing isn't going to happen again.

Again with the Gaelic cultures being lumped into one, it wouldn't be much of an issue if, like you said - it was referring to bonuses and that each faction mechanic would be different. What I worry will happen will be that the Irish Gaelic factions, that CA have obviously done a bit of work on, would be copy and pasted over the Western Scottish factions. I would get that Mide might share the same culture with Gallgoidel in Scotland but probably not with Circenn who were arguably a Britonic culture.

Fingers crossed though, I am excited for this game - I just want CA to show us that they are not making the same mistakes they usually make before I go and buy it.
    There's always some holes in the historicity of the game. I mean, did you see the reddit post where someone raised hell (though in a good natured way) over the legwraps on the Viking soldiers? I'm going to wait and see though. There's got to be some massive Scottish history fans over at the CA office. They are in the UK after all.

On a different note, I think it's Strat Clut that got placed under "Britonic" along with Gwined.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

There's always some holes in the historicity of the game. I mean, did you see the reddit post where someone raised hell (though in a good natured way) over the legwraps on the Viking soldiers? I'm going to wait and see though. There's got to be some massive Scottish history fans over at the CA office. They are in the UK after all.

On a different note, I think it's Strat Clut that got placed under "Britonic" along with Gwined.

CA may be based in the UK but that hasn't stopped some pretty major holes in their Scottish history so far (including deleting Scotland from History altogether in ETW) but yeah I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet and I'm still hopeful.

To be fair, I will be happy to get the game if CA get the campaign map right. The rest can usually be fixed with mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    The Medieval Kingdoms mod has very early arquebus'. It'd be nice if someone with the skills ported some really nice looking muskets/rifles.
    If there was someone out there who could deal with the mechanics of muskets and rifles (including animations), I'd be happy to provide the 3D models. That's a pretty big ask.

I'm thinking that TW:Thrones of Britannia could be turned into a pretty cool TW:Wars of the Three Kingdoms mod (there is some kind of pun there with the TW:Three Kingdoms coming out later this year).

Info on the Wars of the Three Kingdoms:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_o...Three_Kingdoms

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

You're right about Strat Clut, it's Circenn in the Gaelic group even though they were Pictish and therefore Briton rather than Irish.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

War of the Roses would be a nice fit as well. I would consider putting together a team to work on that.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    You're right about Strat Clut, it's Circenn in the Gaelic group even though they were Pictish and therefore Briton rather than Irish.
    Yeah it's strange that they would go for Gaelic culture for Circenn although you could probably argue that by this point the Pictish kingdoms had potentially been Gaelicised.

Afterthought (just something that bugs me): Gaelic culture in Ireland and Scotland at the time was highly unlikely to be similar. At least considering the archaeology (and there isn't much else to consider).

War of the Roses would be a nice fit as well. I would consider putting together a team to work on that.

That would be cool to see but not the most exciting of periods from a Scottish perspective. Still sounds like an exciting project though.

I just think that there seems to be a lot of people who want (or were expecting) some kind of pike and shot game from TW. The War of the Three Kingdoms covers the entirety of mainland Britain and Ireland - perfect for the Thrones of Britannia map - and it would be cool to try to get muskets into the mix.

Anyway, we're probably getting ahead of ourselves!

That would be cool to see but not the most exciting of periods from a Scottish perspective. Still sounds like an exciting project though.

I just think that there seems to be a lot of people who want (or were expecting) some kind of pike and shot game from TW. The War of the Three Kingdoms covers the entirety of mainland Britain and Ireland - perfect for the Thrones of Britannia map - and it would be cool to try to get muskets into the mix.

Anyway, we're probably getting ahead of ourselves!
    I suspect both to be created at some point.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I'm going ro do a mod based on Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicle.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I've got a series of 8 Historical Battles that'll make up a mini-narrative-campaign thingy based on Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories/The Last Kingdom that I was gonna make for Attila, might make it for Thrones of Britannia if I get it but idk.
    https://trello.com/b/eefmYHwL/the-saga-of-uhtred

I'm out of any next release! No new engine when it's needed.

Also this title. Copy and paste Attilla much? Ok they have added more complexity and reworked things but overall just seems like a more detailed map...ok jury is out and how detailed they go in re original settlements (forts etc).

But my main gripe is current engine plus unit collision. Shield wall? I saw units fighting one on one...ok it happened but not in much in open battles. Esp Saxon vs Viking.

If they dont get this right it's a flop for me.

p.s and anyone who dresses like this for an interview.......pretentious much?

And re the engine the reason they dont want to do it is because they would rather make money out of people without spending their own money. Which in my book isnt particularly customer orientated if you think most big titles get a new engine over the years.

And if you want to start the gameplay/graphics thing I suggest you trying upgrading from a laptop or a crappy pc! (and there are at least 5 other reasons why...one being they still havent solved the pathfinding at sieges!!!!!!!!)

Having a £1000 rig to get iffy perf over many years isnt for me great. Acceptable...yes you can argue that, it seems to me they dont want to take the titles to the stratosphere where they could be....this release is just another example of this. (and I havent actually looked into the nitty gritty yet...someone has already questioned their knowledge of Scots/Gaelic history...).

Plus Wales???!!!

And disagree all you want. Some of you know I am talking the truth. And a lot more people on youtube are making similar comments.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 06, 2018 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    I'm out of any next release! No new engine when it's needed.

Also this title. Copy and paste Attilla much? Ok they have added more complexity and reworked things but overall just seems like a more detailed map...ok jury is out and how detailed they go in re original settlements (forts etc).

But my main gripe is current engine plus unit collision. Shield wall? I saw units fighting one on one...ok it happened but not in much in open battles. Esp Saxon vs Viking.

If they dont get this right it's a flop for me.

p.s and anyone who dresses like this for an interview.......pretentious much?

And re the engine the reason they dont want to do it is because they would rather make money out of people without spending their own money. Which in my book isnt particularly customer orientated if you think most big titles get a new engine over the years.

And if you want to start the gameplay/graphics thing I suggest you trying upgrading from a laptop or a crappy pc! (and there are at least 5 other reasons why...one being they still havent solved the pathfinding at sieges!!!!!!!!)

Having a £1000 rig to get iffy perf over many years isnt for me great. Acceptable...yes you can argue that, it seems to me they dont want to take the titles to the stratosphere where they could be....this release is just another example of this. (and I havent actually looked into the nitty gritty yet...someone has already questioned their knowledge of Scots/Gaelic history...).

Plus Wales???!!!

And disagree all you want. Some of you know I am talking the truth. And a lot more people on youtube are making similar comments.
    They are not going to change either engine (TW3 or Warscape). They only recently started using 64 GB with Warhammer. They only used a fraction of it as well. They have a lot of room to play with to make graphical improvements to the game.

OMG, now his outfit makes him pretentious. You really read a lot of what people are wearing. People wear what appeals to them. For me, no one is pretentious unless they eat an apple.

Personally, I would rather less emphasis on campaign play and more on battle enhancements.
    If there are any changes to the campaign, I would love the cost of units to be based on willingness to fight and employment. If unwilling you pay more, and if unemploy, more desperate to fight. In this game, they are, at the very least, moving in that direction.

They are not going to change either engine (TW3 or Warscape). They only recently started using 64 GB with Warhammer. They only used a fraction of it as well. They have a lot of room to play with to make graphical improvements to the game.

OMG, now his outfit makes him pretentious. You really read a lot of what people are wearing. People wear what appeals to them. For me, no one is pretentious unless they eat an apple.

Personally, I would rather less emphasis on campaign play and more on battle enhancements.
    If there are any changes to the campaign, I would love the cost of units to be based on willingness to fight and employment. If unwilling you pay more, and if unemploy, more desperate to fight. In this game, they are, at the very least, moving in that direction.
    "They only used a fraction of it as well" This is hearsay or CA marketing speak. No-one knows any real technical details until perf tests are done. Fact!

Well then some people wont buy their product. (you might say who cares...fair enough..I dont). Plus if someone appears "arty" in an interview its making a statment no? Again make of that what you will. I dont know for sure and never said so hence why I used a questionmark.

But it could be logical to assume he is saying "look at me am the creative drive so this is what you are going to get in-game". Or maybe he just fancied wearing that on the day?...he can do what he wants. Again who cares? (in the grand scheme of things).

Plus emphasising one area to me seems illogical...why not do both? Why does one have to suffer at the expense of the other? I am always of the view anything can be done and everyones desires/preferances can be done...(although its hard to please all). And thats why we have mods!

p.s Forgot to mention another caveat with this release! It's going to have dlc? WTF!!! So restrict say the Scots? Viking factions. No way Jose CA no way...enough is enough.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 06, 2018 at 08:50 AM.