Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Default Re: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Looks interesting but, as mentioned, looks a lot like a redo of the Viking Invasion in Medieval I.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Looks interesting but, as mentioned, looks a lot like a redo of the Viking Invasion in Medieval I.
    What do you exactly base that on? Apart from the time line choice of course.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by The Roman Republic View Post
    Front page post should have an internal discussion thread... Anyway discuss ahead!

Well, this is a new strategy game and even the first in a new Total War series that I have read about.

I found this old article about the upcoming historical releases : https://www.pcinvasion.com/total-war...ndalone-nature

Pricing will “depend on retailers”, but it’ll cost the same sort of amount as prior standalones like Fall of the Samurai, Napoleon, and Attila. The latter was basically a full price release.
    I remember that FotS and Napoleon were not priced at the usual 50Euro, but Attila was. Do you think they are going to charge full price or less?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Well, a bit disingenuous. Retailers always add greatest amount of value since they are taking the biggest risk. You know stores are not losing money when they offer 50% or more discount. The thing is, they are going to price it based on the suppliers price. I don't know what he is saying is that they will have a lower price than the games mentioned or not. Even if lower, if retailer believe they can get the same price, then they will charge it. My guess is that they will offer pre-release discount and when release have the normal price, but have sales often to encourage consumers to buy.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Full price is whatever the market will bear to purchase the right to use digits of computer programming. I am amazed at how little these purchases actual cost even if I cannot seem to consider the purchase within my limited budget. That is why Medieval II Kingdoms Expansion is the top end of the TW chain for me (at the moment). It may change with the Saga game release though. I was also thinking about the disks (not Steam) for Empire and Napoleon as a Christmas present to myself.

Personally, when it comes to the next wave of historical titles, I don't really care what time frame they do. I just want to see some more care\focus and effort put into the title. I ended up grabbing the first warhammer because I was curious. IMO you could tell they put a lot of detail and variety into the the title, even though fantasy themed sutff isn't really my bag, it was still a well made game.
    It had a lot of immersion and every faction felt different from art style, unit types, research, items etc. Units felt alive and weighty and it just seemed to pack a punch.

When looking back at R2, Attila (and AOC) even Empire, there's a lot of copy and paste. There's far to much re used content all over the place.
    From a faction perspective they are doing too many at release, I would prefer only 5 factions that were very different and unique with more attention to detail.
    What's the point of having 10 - 15 factions if the only difference is a unit or two and some different colored skins.

Furthermore, I've played TW from the original Shogun, I remember the whole thing that made the game unique and interesting was the large tactical battles. This should always be the primary focus, a good campaign experience is nice too but the battles should be a spectacle and highly strategic. A lot of emphasis should be put into unit types, upgrades, equipment, etc.

Anyway bit of a tangent, but I think TW could benefit from a smaller focus and MORE detail, rather than enormous maps and dozens of factions that lack any real detail of distinctiveness. So I hope to see that in this title.
    Last edited by Rob003; December 07, 2017 at 12:15 PM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Rob003 View Post
    Personally, when it comes to the next wave of historical titles, I don't really care what time frame they do. I just want to see some more care\focus and effort put into the title. I ended up grabbing the first warhammer because I was curious. IMO you could tell they put a lot of detail and variety into the the title, even though fantasy themed sutff isn't really my bag, it was still a well made game.
    It had a lot of immersion and every faction felt different from art style, unit types, research, items etc. Units felt alive and weighty and it just seemed to pack a punch.

When looking back at R2, Attila (and AOC) even Empire, there's a lot of copy and paste. There's far to much re used content all over the place.
    From a faction perspective they are doing too many at release, I would prefer only 5 factions that were very different and unique with more attention to detail.
    What's the point of having 10 - 15 factions if the only difference is a unit or two and some different colored skins.

Furthermore, I've played TW from the original Shogun, I remember the whole thing that made the game unique and interesting was the large tactical battles. This should always be the primary focus, a good campaign experience is nice too but the battles should be a spectacle and highly strategic. A lot of emphasis should be put into unit types, upgrades, equipment, etc.

Anyway bit of a tangent, but I think TW could benefit from a smaller focus and MORE detail, rather than enormous maps and dozens of factions that lack any real detail of distinctiveness. So I hope to see that in this title.
    IMHO you hit the nail on the head with this
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Really agree with this!

I just listened to Jack Lusted's interview about Thrones of Britannia and I have gone from being excited to being less excited...

The point about having variation is important. From what I can gather from the interview, there will be a lot of focus put on English, Irish and Viking factions. He literally said the phrase "green and pleasant land" more than he mentioned Scotland which leads me to the conclusion that (much like previous TW games) the north will be much neglected.

I hope that I am wrong about this and it's just that Jack forgot that Scotland exists.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Yes ThroB could benefit from a small geo focus. BUT I truly hope, as Jack L. seemed to indicate, they've pushed faction diversity as far as they can because historically speaking there wasn't much. To that I say, yeah! I REALLY don't care about faction diversity-- I care about historically authentic depictions of warfare and good tactical and strategic game play that can flow out of that. And that's the whole point of SAGA.

If faction diversity is that important to you, stick with your dinosaurs against skeletons game.
    Last edited by Huberto; December 09, 2017 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Yes ThroB could benefit from a small geo focus. BUT I truly hope, as Jack L. seemed to indicate, they've pushed faction diversity as far as they can because historically speaking there wasn't much. To that I say, yeah! I REALLY don't care about faction diversity-- I care about historically authentic depictions of warfare and good tactical and strategic game play that can flow out of that. And that's the whole point of SAGA.

If faction diversity is that important to you, stick with your dinosaurs against skeletons game.
    Yes, it's a historical title, authenticity should be a given. Faction diversity is important (and it's not the only thing that matters, it was an example) even from an authenticity stand point, I doubt for example all the English factions looked exactly the same minus one shade of color on their unit banners. My overall point was that I think more time and detail on a smaller group of factions might be more meaningful than just using the same assets over and over again, to simply increase the number of playable factions.

Less lazy copy and paste tactics is all I'm getting at, that doesn't just apply to faction diversity, all aspects of the game.

^^ agreed

I do wonder about the scale and size of the armies in battles though. I think there is a tendency to want larger armies and more unit diversity than really existed. I am not saying that there were not this diversity of units, but not in each and every battle within every campaign. I know that the games are produced to satisfy the buyers of the games and if that conflicts with history ... well Hollywood already solved that problem.
    Last edited by NorseThing; December 11, 2017 at 05:11 PM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Campaign map looks promising - the inclusion of marshland is well overdue. Overall though, I genuinely think this looks like the most promising campaign map that I have seen from Total War. You may not agree but the larger the area they try to cover, the more you miss out on at least 50% of what historic battles were, choosing the place of battle. The more detail they can get on a campaign map, the more likely your choice in battlefield will make a difference.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much but as long as they get a good campaign map out, modding can save a lot of the rest!

This is absolutely true and something that is shockingly overlooked in the franchise. Most battles were won and lost based on the tactical maneuvers prior to the battle with the location of the battle be crucial. MTW had this to some extent. I can remember being outnumbered at least 3 to 1. I position my army at a bridge and was able to win a battle I should had lost.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    This is absolutely true and something that is shockingly overlooked in the franchise. Most battles were won and lost based on the tactical maneuvers prior to the battle with the location of the battle be crucial. MTW had this to some extent. I can remember being outnumbered at least 3 to 1. I position my army at a bridge and was able to win a battle I should had lost.
    Exactly.

So I just hope this map has a good level of detail so we can actually tactically choose where to do battle AND** the battle maps aren't as featureless as the Attila ones... seriously, they were outrageously barren.

Surprised this was not shared here... Map revealed.
    Spoiler for Map Scale

Spoiler for Factions

Spoiler for Provinces

Spoiler for Settlements

Spoiler for Map Guide

Click on the link to read the explanations.

PikeStance -- thanks for the link. I think I can really become a fan of the new Saga. In some ways it harkens back to the Shogun I map in some aspects. Of course the next test will be how differentiated are the factions.
    Last edited by NorseThing; December 12, 2017 at 04:55 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Offa's Dic is so big they named an entire province after it? Wow. (Next to North Mierce and Gwined)

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

It looks like a nice map, massive shame they're keeping to the 6 buildings for main settlements and if I understood it correctly minor settlements will only be 1 or 2 buildings, basically becoming like those towns in Empire. I did like Empire's towns but I'd hoped they'd bring that feature back differently with most resources being outside the settlement instead of having minor settlements basically play the role of those resources. I find it quite annoying that things like farms, mines and other resources take up building slots in a settlement instead of just going on their own hinterland tab or being upgradeable from their own building outside of the settlement.

Will Thrones of Britannia have its own forum here or be a sub-forum ?