Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Default Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Front page post should have an internal discussion thread... Anyway discuss ahead!

Last edited by The Roman Republic; November 14, 2017 at 02:26 PM.

Default Re: Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

edit... video put in OP

It reminds me of the mod the Last Kingdom. (I played it a while ago, so i do not recall the exact era). It's a beautifully done mod for M2TW: Kingdoms. Check it out if you have not played it.
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 14, 2017 at 02:28 PM.

Another Viking Invasions II. Another Britain themed CA title. Not really much interest here peaked.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

I'm very glad they picked this timeline, especially since it seems to follow the theme of Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories. It's a good time frame for a Total War game.
    The Armenian Issue

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I think the most exciting aspect of this is the fact that the campaign map will be focused in on one area. Outmaneuvering armies on the campaign map has long been neglected by Total War on the maps that are lacking in obstacles, hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.

One obvious thing to note from the video: this seems less "Thrones of Britannia" and much more "Throne of Wessex". Not a single mention any other part of the British Isles. I hope that doesn't mean the other parts of the Isles will be as neglected when it comes to research as they were in Attila (Picts having Viking units ).

On the whole, pretty excited to see what they do with it. Really hoping for good variation between regional/national units!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Unmasked Q&A

Is this the next historical Total War game?

Still hoping, huh? Nah, we keep the big disappointments for laters! Trust us, you’ll get what’s coming to ya!
    More details on our historical releases here:
    https://www.totalfail.com/blog/updat...leted-releases

What is A Total War Saga?
    Total War Saga is just another grand master plan to raise us some extra cash for Christmas. Somebody’s has to pay for our winter vacations. Hey, all is fair in Total War, right? Oh, come now! Don’t give me the tears. Ok, ok! Remember Fall of the Samurai? It’s going to be something like that, but of course not as good. There you go little friend!
    Is it like a Campaign Pack? Will I need to own another game to play it?
    Hey, that’s a good idea! We could connect it to Empire Total War regardless of the age…. Ever thought on working for us boy?

What is the date range of the game?
    It starts from wolfpelts and ends in chainmails, and…. stuff. You know, classic medieval stuff.

What geographical area will it cover?
    Aaah, something around Britain and Valhalla.

What are the playable factions?
    Get ready for a TOTAL breakthrough!!! We plan for 10 factions, but none of them will be playable at the beginning!!! You gotta buy them from the start! Now is that innovation or not?! Kindly note that you can watch them duke it out in the custom battle, controlled by the AI! You’ll get some GREAT pictures watching the factions do noth… battle!

What are the key features?
    The game will be super-duper--HYPER-detailed, and that allows for just one thing: Thousands of bugs! I can see the patches numbering to #50 with this one! You’re gonna see bugs, you never even thought existed! Son, this game will be so bugged, it’ll make you wish you were King of the Amis community!

What engine is it built from?
    Warscape – same again! This engine works just fine for us. We can present a new title every month, and all we have to do is just make a cover art! The guy who makes ‘em is the only one who sweats in here – we keep him in a separate office! Yep, lots o’ space now that them programmers took off 10 years ago!

When will it be released?
    Well, we did say 2018, but if I see something I really wanna buy – it’s my turn in the company you see – I decide on when it’s released. And remember: I said released, not completed.

Will it be available on Mac/Linux?
    Let them rot. Let them aaaaaall rot!

Will it be available as a physical product or is it digital only?
    The countries that we make “dineros” will get a physical copy. The rest of the cheap knaves can get it through vapor!

How much will it cost?
    Enough for the “able”.

What is the min. & recommended specs?
    We strive for EVERY Total War enthusiast!!! Your Atari 2600 can handle it.

Is it available for pre-order?
    Like I said, Christmas is coming.

When will we see gameplay?
    My poor boy. You already have…

How can I find out more?
    Denounce your faith and open that wallet wide for daddy!

this is so meh ,i cant even describe it,had really hope for something new .As i love this Period ,this could easily been done as DLC for Attila .Covering Ragnars or Uthreds Events ,Mount and Blade Viking Conquest is for ^^ even with better Diplomacy . So my Dreams for an Engine Update (same Warscape crap again srsly o.O) for an Victorian Age Total War ,or even Age of Discovery is gone, splendid.

PS:I hope this isnt becoming some over the Top non Historical , because of Warhammer Francise Trend`s for that are present
    Last edited by Bavarian Grenadier; November 15, 2017 at 04:46 AM.

CA has no reason to change one of its engines. They only now using 64 bits from 43 bits. Warhammer only use a fraction of the extra space.
    But anyway,... CA is nibbling away at the medieval period here. I am not surprise this is first "Saga" game. It also makes sense that CA decided to use a time period that many enjoy before tackling other areas.

A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia – Why 878 AD?

When you think of Viking Britain, two dates really come to mind:

793 AD: The first major Viking raid on the monastery of Lindisfarne
    865 AD: The Great Heathen Army, also called the Great Viking Army and supposedly led by the sons of the legendary Viking Ragnar Lodbrok, arrives in England
    Both of these are sort of seen as heralding the arrival of different phases of Viking activity. The first leads to the era of constant raiding of the coasts of Britain and Ireland, the second to their eventual settling in England after a lot of fighting. But both of these to a degree are a start, a beginning of something, and I think what happens next is just as interesting.

Total War: ATTILA and Total War: WARHAMMER both feature large invasions by marauding forces, as did the Viking Invasion expansion for Medieval: Total War, but they don’t delve into what comes next. What happens after the invasion? How do countries and people pick themselves back up and adapt to the new reality they’re faced with?

This aftermath is as fascinating to me, if not more so, than the invasion itself as it’s here that the consequences play out. How do the different cultures cope in areas where they’ve merged together? The Great Heathen Army has been defeated, but the fighting hasn’t really stopped. What does that mean for agriculture, and the need to support armies all the time? What will later Viking raiders think of the ones who’ve already settled, will they look on them as brothers or treat them as another target?
    I believe time frame is as good as any but I especially like it since I'm a fan of the Saxon Stories story line. Perhaps we will actually get to experience a siege in Bamburgh Castle. What's interesting will be to see the mechanisms that they're gonna utilize for this game.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; November 15, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

I am very excited for this and ALL the new content. My only question is about mod support. Will the saga games be compatible with or getting their own assembly kit? Or something equivalent

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

The time frame is good for me. I do not know how others feel, but I am less impressed with gunpowder when at the tactical level for a campaign game. That is not to say a WWI game is not interesting, but for me even the Napoleonic era is testing the capabilities of a TW game. From animal skins to chain mail seems to work as another member stated.

Just seems like an AoC-like campaign for Attila. Not nearly as unique as FotS was from Shogun 2 and so I'm not as excited for it.

Agreed very much on that. Gunpowder just doesn't work well in the mechanics of how current Total War plays out. But I'd be more intrigued when they start working on exploring other eras and areas.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by The Roman Republic View Post
    Front page post should have an internal discussion thread...
    There kind of is, but no matter.

A Rome dlc based on Rome again and an Attila based standalone that occupies the exact same period as the last Attila dlc we got... I think the master plan at CA is to have no historical fans left by the time they're actually scheduled to release a new historical game. I wish I could say I was surprised.
    Blue field the rule, Slaadi shall we.

Attila is 5th century and this Saga thingy will start at the end of the 9th (I think). Much closer to Medieval though not quite there. Maybe a bit like the Viking Invasion Mod for Rome or the VI expansion pack for Medieval though. I am still curious. There can be remakes. Hollywood has done this for years and people still get excited about the next 'reboot' movie.

Attila is in the Medieval period and so is this new Saga game. It is early medieval, but still the medieval. There are some that will argue that it is "Late Antiquity" but i find this to be a unscrupulous way to include the birth of Islam in the Ancient time period. It is far better to define the change of period with the change of social and political structures. It is also a shift of power from the Mediterranean Sea to central Europe.

Just a small note: it is probably more accurate to say that Attila "straddles the fence" between Antiquity and the medieval period of history. The process by which society was changing was already in place.

Game of Thrones is definitely Medieval. It is early medieval and thus may not be the High and period that most are clamoring for.

I am always a bit confused where the arbitrary period lines should be drawn. Especially when there are clear defining dates that are considered within a period. Islam has a date based upon the birth of a man. The same is true of Christianity. The same is true of King Henry III of England. The period of Medieval is somewhat arbitrary and will depend on the definitions used. The periods within Medieval are even fuzzier to me. Sorry if I seemed fuzzy in my previous post, but fuzzy I am.

We had a chat with Thrones' game director Jack Lusted who gave us his unique insight on what to expect from the debut of the TW Saga.
    The Armenian Issue

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    There kind of is, but no matter.
    That is an archive of the post that is sent to the front page. Not a public discussion thread its locked to admin content posters, i should know I was one for a while.

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast