Pro-Consul of Africa Npc

Pro-Consul of Corsica et Sardinia Sextus Nautius Mergus

Hispania Citerior NPC

Pro-Consul of Hispania Ulterior NPC

Pro-Consul of Macedonia NPC

Pro-Consul of Gallia Cisalpina NPC

Pro-Consul of Gallia Narbonensis Appius Claudius Pulcher

Events
    1. The Helvetii have invaded Cisalpine Gaul.

2. Brutus'war reforms

3. Tax investigation issues

4. Pirates in Corsica

5. INvestigation into the violence of the previous year
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 11, 2017 at 09:34 AM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Augurinus and Rusca

Mettius Pinarrius Ruscca begins opening the new years senate. He waits for the senators to take their places and begins to speak.

"Good men of the senate, there is much to address in this year. The legions of Rome have seen success, and the Republic has swelled to new heights, but still there are troubles. The first order of business should be handling the pirates the currently threaten the trade on the Mare Nostrum lest they grow to threaten the grain trade from Egypt." Rusca's mercantile interests would also be harmed should these pirates be allowed to operate unmolested.

Manius Messalla stood, having concluded his term as Aedile, he had sought no office for this term. "These will be issues that must be addressed by the governors of the provinces." Manius replied. "I have little interest in trying to prosecute wars at this distance against foes that are easily dealt with. There is another issue which must be addressed, in my view. Too long had the Senate been externally focused last year, Lucullus and Brutus were appointed with the task of investigating political violence. They failed to give any report to the Senate regarding these troubles."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

“I must agree with senator Manius, unfortunately Rome has far greater concerns than pirates at the moment.” Marcus commented. “A Consul of Rome murdered, as well as a would be Consul, in the same year no less. These events are disturbing to say the least. We must ensure that this year’s praetors continue the hunt, any information Brutus or Lullucus have must be given to them with haste.”

"My father will return to the city any day now. I move that we endow him with the powers of a Praetor and task him with the investigation into these matters as there seems to be no will to do so among our most senior men gathered here." Manius added

I would support this measure, Messalla has proven his dedication to the Republic in Asia. He paused to eye the room. If there are no other men of standing who would take charge of this investigation?

Quintus Furius Sulpicianus arrives at the Senate house bearing news that required their immediate consideration. He requested the permission of the Consuls before addressing the august body.

Speak. The Consul insisted.

"Of course Sulpicanus speak." Rusca says as the man enters.

The young man, a veteran of Spain and of Asia, stepped forward. He unfurled a scroll. "News from the north, Senators, and it is not good news." He began, licking his lips. "My father sends word from Vercellae, to inform the Senate of everything that has transpired since he has taken command there. He writes that first, upon his arrival, he entered the camp of Gnaeus Iulus, the Proconsul of Nearer Gaul. The Proconsul had just been defeated by the Helvetii and when the Consul asserted his right to lead the combined army against the invaders, Iulus was filled with a sudden rage, drew his sword, and attempted to kill the Consul. He was stopped short by brave men and the Consul ordered his immediate execution by strangulation for the crime of treason. Secondly, that he met the Helvetii in battle several weeks ago and dealt them a decisive blow, killing thousands and driving them from the field of battle. Unfortunately, in the confusion of the battle and accounting for the stiff resistance of the Helvetii of every *ehem* gender and class...the legions were repulsed outside the camp, and therefore a decisive advantage was lost."

------

Upon hearing the news, Manius stood. "Gnaeus Iulus finally reveals his true self. This Family that has plagued Rome with difficulties and blind ambition has finally been ended. It is a lesson of warning to all those who would attempt to follow in their footsteps. It is my opinion that the Senate should condemn this act of treason by damning the memory of Gnaeus Iulus."
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 11, 2017 at 04:09 PM.

Rusca listens to the news and considers the news. "I agree with Manius. All awards awarded to Gnaeus Iulus should be posthumously revoked, and his actions should be condemned in the eyes of all." He pauses studying the the room, "Does anyone object to that?"

"I certainly do not." Young Quintus interjected. "Let the memory of that man be damned, we were fortunately spared his spawn from usurping the Consulate this year, which is a small victory."

Metellus Pius and Scipio rejoin the Senate. The younger Metellus speaks:

"Patres, I have served both under Messalla and my own father, Pius, in the recent wars waged against foreign threats. Both defeated more than one king and annexed numerous lands to our budding Res Publica"

He gesticulates fancily.

"Both have been granted a well-diserved triumph for their efforts, but that should not be the sole reward they get: I propose we bestow the titles of Ponticus and Numidicus to these good senators, symbol of their hard-earned victories"

He clasps hands.

"I cannot find better commanders in this city and both are respected and beloved senators, let us demonstrate them both that their efforts are recognized wholly, as they are definetely worth handing down such cognomina in their respective lines"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Rusca stands one again, "Let us first conclude the discussions on the table. We have to votes."

-Messella will be given preatorian power, and charged with investigating the political violence of the previous year.

And the following vote the second proposal is brought to the table

-For his crimes Gnaeus Iulus will be posthumosly stripped of all awards earned in life, and his actions will be denounced in every corner of Rome.
    Last edited by Trot; November 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM.

Pius stands.

"The matters proposed by my son about titles can be discussed later"

Said the senator, holding the folds of his toga with his left hand.

"When I was absent from the city much trouble arouse, provoked by firebrands with little consent to tradition or the customs of this city"

He looks around, a frown crowning his face.

"Most of this upheaval is responsibility of inept and irresponsible tribunes. We should have learned from the past, but we did not"

He raises an admonitory finger.

"We must put an end to this arbitrary ruling of the mob by incendiary men with little regard to anything but their own ambitions"

The Pontifex frown deepens.

"I hereby propose that every bill presented to the plebeian council must be firstly approved by the Senate itself, august ruling body of this Res Publica. Secondly, every tribune, once elected, shall be ineligible for any other office: only those pure of heart, bereft of any ambition on their own, shall pursue the tribunate, using it fairly, and not abusing the structures of this Res Publica we so fondly love"

He looks around.

"Some time ago, I offered good farmlands in Africa, but instead good citizens were deprived of their own rightful property. Such a lowly, lofty, cowardly move cannot be tolerated. This is but an example of the abuse incured by the tribune of the time, whose performance was subpar, at best. The city cannot be left in the hands of such an erratic governance: the tiranny of that outrageous office must be curtailed, ended, once for all, least we face oblivion in the hands of a new candidate to Prometheus, who instead of giving us a flame will burn the roots of our Republic"

Marcus Valerius Messalla reappeared at the opening of a Curial session accompanied by his son. the younger man now demurred to his father, in fact he would soon leave the city for Gaul. He had decided he had seen enough of politics for now and wished to serve somewhere else. Messalla limped across the marble floor over to a low bench, he would no longer ascend any of the rows. He was once again wearing a simple toga, a man who had been acclaimed to the loftiest heights of glory and acclaim in the city now returned to the Senate nothing more than a man sitting amongst his colleagues, as it had been done for centuries. Had not Saturninus returned to his fields?

Messalla waited for quiet and then spoke "Patres, I have been honored to serve the Republic, and to have done so with honor and distinction. While I heartily thank Scipio for his proposal, a triumph is all the recognition I need from the state. I respectfully request that any other honors be deferred. Now, as to the matter of these judicial inquiries. I would be honored to serve in this role. I spent many hours resolving disputed in the provinces between the provincials as well as our own soldiers and as such, I have grown accustomed to investigating certain crimes of violence. I would accept appointment as a Pro-Praetor for the purposes of leading this investigation."

ooc: messy timeline, but whatever.

Rusca rises as mummers across the senate floor at the Pontifex's words. This fool bill was once more being proposed.

"Good men of the senate. I stand behind what I said last year when this Bill was proposed."

He pauses gauging the room to see the reactions.

"This bill is nothing more then a thinly failed attempt to undermine the foundations of the republic. It is clear that this power grab will not be allowed to stand. The discussion on this bill is off the table. It is an insult to the citizens of Rome that you bring this to the table again Pius. The only one trying to seize power is you. This foolishness will not stand as long as I am Consul. This matter is closed."

He turns to the senate.

"In other more important matters there is the business with the Helvetti to be handled. From the sound of it Sulpicanius has reached a stalemate with the Helvetti. Two legions should be dispatched under the command of my coconsul Augurinus. He will take command of the war over from Sulpicianus and the additional legions should push the balance of power in the Republics favor."

"The matter is not closed"

Said Pius.

"You hastily tried to dismiss the bill, but you cannot. We are merely discussing it"

He raised a finger.

"Your prerogatives do not allow you to prevent this matter to be discussed, at any lenght, by the Senate. Unless you want to mark yourself as a tyrant who will not let this ruling body discuss any matters freely. I believe you do not intend that, anyway"

Pius' always growing clientele grunts and manifests discontent. Scipio yells:

"Hear, hear! Rusca, you cannot prevent us from discussing this, unless you want to incur in some blatant usurpation of our rights as members of the Senate"

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Lucullus stood.

"You sound as a King, Rusca, not a Consul. Who are you to dictate as to what this Senate will do? Who are you to order your Co-Consul to war? You are here to lead, not to dictate, and I demand the bill of the Pontifex Maximus be given the table. Has he not given blood and sweat for Rome more than any man in this room, save Messala? You attempt to quash his voice over a difference in politics - an insult if there was ever one! I demand a debate and a vote for the motion of my cousin, Quintus Caecillius Metellus Pius!

In addition, Patres et Conscripti, I hereby propose that the Consul Rusca raise two legions from his own pocket to take to Gaul, where he will assume command of the Army of Sulpicianus. Has he not had experience in war aplenty? He seems determined to prove his Consular power, so let him prove it! Accept that tainted command, Rusca, if you dare. "
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; November 12, 2017 at 06:56 PM.

"I will not bring to vote a bill that so fragrantly violates the rights of the Plebeian Council or the tribunes. You seek nothing more than personal power Pius. I will not see the foundations of the republic eroded in such a manner." He sighs and takes a breath.

"Augurinus has been ordered nowhere. I have the utmost faith in my coconsuls abilities to conduct a war which is why I move the senate grant him two legions to go and finish the war against the Helvetti. Sulipicanius's imperium has expired and that matter must be dealt with at once."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast