Thread: A more comprehensive faction_emerge, and from differences between shadowing and not shadowing

Default A more comprehensive faction_emerge, and from differences between shadowing and not shadowing

I took a few notes during testing a number of things to fully understand the limits of the faction_emerge command, and of shadows faction versus 'regular' factions reemerging via the campaign script.
    First, let me point these great existing tutorials:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221709
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=554195
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=532711
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=485535

I won't reexplain the principe or the scripts since it is already done, rather summarize and clarify points that puzzled me for a while. If a moderator or the authors from the tutos above think it should be merged somehow, no problem.
    And sorry if this is already cover somewhere but I am a regular visitor of the tutorials list, so I don't think so.

1, Shadows factions versus regular reemergent scripted factions:

Big editing as I was innacurate or partly wrong in some particulars, and discovered more by accidents that pushed me to further tests. More informations on some code/commands that my tests revealed first.

Descr_strat:
    re_emergent: It seem of use only for shadows factions, true and false(see false shadowing at point 3), to make them reemerge either via script or automaticaly during game revolts in place of the slaves, for factions shadowing each other.
    dead_until_resurrected: For a normal faction, there seem to be few if any differences than with dead_until_emerged, but for shadowing there is a big difference. dead_until_resurrected on a shadow faction will make it emerge at the first revolt of it's playable counterpart. Coupled with re_emergent, it will completely make them replace rebels for this playable faction during the entire mod.
    dead_until_emerged: The faction will never reemerge on it's own the first time, it need to be scripted. If coupled with re_emergent, after their first scripted emergence, they will respawn at each revolt, each time from my tests.

Descr_sm_factions:
    Shadowed_by: Here is one that remain merky to say the least. I thought for a while that it was the one connecting the shadowing part, but if I start trying to explain my many tests I will confuse myself, and you I think.
    Shadowing: Let's talk concret on this, shadowing alone seem to be all that's necessary to make two factions shadowing each other. Hopefully you will get what I mean by continue the reading.

Theorically, I think that each faction can shadow every other but it would quickly turn to a circus if you see what I mean.

In brief, true shadows factions can replace the slave faction for one or more playable factions. The big setback I coudn't overcome for true shadowing is that it appear impossible to stop it and have the slave retook ownership from the playable faction in a revolt. More clearly below.

I will use direct examples as it appear more clear to me than long explanations, romani is the playable faction here:

We have two factions shadowing each other in descr_sm_factions:

Code:
    faction                        romani, shadowed_by scotland, shadowing scotland

faction                        scotland, shadowing romani, shadowed_by romani

Yes, it is a completely working code but after further tests, it appear a overkill as both factions seem to shadow each other with only one shadowed_by, and the other shadowing, or strangely with both shadowing each other without shadowed_by.
    You can even set severals factions to be shadowed by and shadowing each other:

Code:
    faction                        romani, shadowed_by scotland, shadowed_by papal_states, shadowing papal_states, shadowing scotland

faction                        papal_states, shadowing romani, shadowed_by romani

faction                        scotland, shadowing romani, shadowed_by romani

I leave it for demonstration that it can work but this seem to be working the same or almost:
    Code:
    faction                        romani

faction                        papal_states, shadowing romani

faction                        scotland, shadowing romani

Here, papal_states and scotland are dead at the campaign start, and they will never emerge the first time on their own with dead_until_emerged. Until they emerge via script once, slave will continue to shadow the romani.
    From there we have two possibilities:
    1, set the emergent shadows factions as re_emergent in descr_strat:
    faction papal_states, balanced stalin
    Code:
    ai_label        default
    dead_until_emerged
    re_emergent
    denari    50000
    denari_kings_purse    800

faction    scotland, balanced smith
    ai_label        default
    dead_until_emerged
    re_emergent
    denari    7500
    denari_kings_purse    650
    After their first scripted emergence, they will constantly reappear without help even after being destroyed, each time a romani settlement revolt, effectivly replacing the slave, no matter of who is the faction creator.

2, remove the re_emergent line and they will only shadow the romani when they are on map, they won't resurect on their own.

For the way I would like to use it, the second possibibility would be the best because it can be controled, while the first option is unstoppable at each settlement revolt. But I can't make it happen until what escapes me in 'normal' reemergence scripts reveal itself.

Before moving on, allow me a interesting and so far unexplained side effect:
    Shadows factions are NOT re_emergent in the descr_strat, and romani own Agrigentum, settlement faction_creator is milan/greek cities. milan is a normal faction, not shadow and not re_emergent in descr_strat.
    If shadows factions are on map, one get Agrigentum in revolt, as it should. If they are NOT on map, milan get the ownership of the settlement. I find it very unexplainable, and actually convenient as I think it has a logic.

Setback: It doesn't seem to work for every factions and cities, but I saw a few cases of it with others factions and settlements which have their respective faction_creator. And it never work for dead factions, only the ones on map. And it always make the original owner in war stance.
    I didn't try to isolate which factions are affected by this strange side effect and vice versa since I can't understand it at all, but if faction original creators of settlement are distributed right, it can be interesting to dig in on this.
    A input would be appreciated if someone else has encountered it.

Edited: I removed the shadow factions code from descr_sm_factions to test and the phenomenon above has continued on the same frequency. Therefore it is not directly related to shadows factions, even if the same messages of loyalists revolt appear in both cases. More investigating need to be done but this is apparently not within the subject here.

2, 'Gifting' regions

In Withnar tutorial, vsivak pointed that the all 'hidden faction' part is unnecessary to transfer region from one faction to a other. And he is right.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15206062

Code:
    monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType aksum
    and I_NumberOfSettlements milan > 0
    and I_NumberOfSettlements aksum > 2

campaign_wait 0.1
    faction_emerge milan aksum 1 500.0 0.0 1.2 town false
    campaign_wait 0.1
    end_monitor

This simple example work fine and at each time it is fired. Severals tests for differents scripts confirmed it. It work between two normals factions, and from a shadow faction to a normal, and vice versa.
    To target a specific settlement, you still need the console_command building chain of PO bonus/malus of course.

Code:
    declare_counter egypt_rivalis

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType egypt
    and I_CompareCounter roman_history_player > 0
    and I_CompareCounter opposing_party_imp < 1
    and I_CompareCounter opposing_party_rep < 1
    and I_CompareCounter senate_civil_war_counter < 1
    and I_CompareCounter refused_cleopatra > 0
    and I_CompareCounter egypt_rivalis < 1
    and I_NumberOfSettlements egypt > 6

if I_SettlementOwner Aleksandreia = egypt
    and not I_SettlementUnderSiege Aleksandreia
    and I_NumberOfSettlements scotland < 1

console_command create_building Adiacium ros_po_bonus
        console_command create_building Agrigentum ros_po_bonus
        console_command create_building Aleksandreia ros_po_bonus

;;;ect, ect

console_command create_building Aleksandreia ros_target

campaign_wait 0.1
        faction_emerge scotland egypt 1 500.0 0.0 1.2 town false
        campaign_wait 0.1
        end_if

;;;; ect, ect and cleaning...

Added 3, the use of shadowing without any real shadowing.

Important edit here, I invite you to re-read if you have before 12/23. In short, you don't need a hidden faction to make the 'false' shadowing and re-emergence work.

Let's put some context here, I have no plans for normal factions to reemerge in the immediate future, but I made a few simple attempts just in case.
    And the scripts on their own just didn't work for normal factions. Then I realized it didn't either for shadow factions after they have been destroyed once, unless I make them re_emergent in descr_strat, which don't suit my plans. It can't be a faulty script in cause because they always work... Unless the faction has already been destroyed during the game. Example:

Code:
    and I_NumberOfSettlements milan > 0
    and I_SettlementOwner Massilia = aksum  
    ;;and I_TurnNumber > 0

add_settlement_turmoil Massilia 1 
        ect, ect

This test script 'gift' massilia from a greek polis to the achean ligue when those are on map. And it works with no problem each time I try it.

Now, the very same script except that the greek have been destroyed/off map.

Code:
    and I_NumberOfSettlements milan < 1
    and I_SettlementOwner Massilia = aksum  
    ;;and I_TurnNumber > 0

add_settlement_turmoil Massilia 1 
        ect, ect

And it never work, even with spawned armies near the settlement, until I make milan a 'false' shadowing. I hope you have read well above about what I gathered from the shadowed_by, shadowing, re_emergent and dead_until_emerged code to get my point.

Edit 12/23, that's the important editing.

I once wrote here that a hidden faction was needed. I was wrong. In fact, one thing that I confused in all my tests is that the hidden faction being dead, a scripted emergence will only work ONCE for the faction falsy shadowing it. Let's not panic however because I just noticed it and found a solution illico presto.
    As you will see right below, rather than shadowing a hidden faction, we are gonna shadow the slave faction, which is completely safe and allow the re-emergence with the same conditions than before.

Sorry about the mix-up, it's a honnest mistake I made presuming that since a illimited number of scripted re-emergence was working with my factions shadowing the romani, it would be the same with a hidden faction.
    Let me re-say that a hidden faction is still never lost for unique names and more 'out of the box' concepts, you never know when it might be handy so I prefer keeping one myself. See added 4.

Back to the milan example. the slave slot is therefore the false shadow target.

In descr_sm_faction, find the milan entry and set it like that:
    Code:
    faction                        milan, shadowing slave

That's it, no shadowed_by anywhere, and leave slave as it is.
    And every other faction can 'shadowing' slave safely then, there will never be any ownership switching that you didn't script, nor convert to the cause or other typical shadow factions effects.

Now, that's still won't work, because I presume that the problem is that once a normal/false shadow faction is destroyed, somehow the script refuse to bring it back.
    And that is where the re_emergent in descr_strat can have a use. Put it to milan, and there, that's it. Even simpler than before.

Code:
    faction    milan, balanced smith
    ai_label        default
    re_emergent
    denari    5000
    denari_kings_purse    500

now the reemergence script will work every time, without never any real shadowing between any factions, because the special slave faction never riots or rebel on itself.
    So any faction shadowing it can not take it's region without scripting, and the slave being the mother shadow of all factions anyway, nothing has changed except that you have it a lot easier with re-emergence scripting.
    That's beautiful no?

Somehow, I can imagine that if you are reading, you must think smartly, "well, what about just putting a normal faction as re_emergent without false shadowing?"
    Well, no. Of course I tried, several times, and it doesn't make the script bring back milan, beside it woudn't be a solution since I want no re_emergent for eventuals true shadows factions.
    Setback that isn't really one: Any faction with and without a shadowing, will see the messages of 'revolt suppressed', 'revolt or worse', left by CA and mostly not fitting. It's simply a matter of changing those externals text.

Well that should be all this time. Still interested if someone want to explain me the last 'secret' about normal reemergence, but it's not the end of the world, false shadowing make the scripts a little easier as there is no need for extra army spawns if you don't want some, and make the all scripting a lot more safer.

Edit, I took out the fourth part as the other uses of a hidden faction doesn't require any special knowledge or precautions that Wihwnar didn't already explained now.
    Last edited by selv; December 23, 2017 at 03:05 AM.

Default Re: A more comprehensive faction_emerge, and from differences between shadowing and not shadowing

Edited a unclear point and added a important reminder about geomod 'reworking' descr_sm_factions after a mapping save.

Default Re: A more comprehensive faction_emerge, and from differences between shadowing and not shadowing

Before moving on, allow me a interesting and so far unexplained side effect:
    Shadows factions are NOT re_emergent in the descr_strat, and romani own Agrigentum, settlement faction_creator is milan/greek cities. milan is a normal faction, not shadow and not re_emergent in descr_strat.
    If shadows factions are on map, one get Agrigentum in revolt, as it should. If they are NOT on map, milan get the ownership of the settlement. I find it very unexplainable, and actually maybe convenient as I think it has a logic.

Setback: It doesn't seem to work for every factions and cities, but I saw a few cases of it with others factions and settlements which have their respective faction_creator. And it never work for dead factions, only the ones on map. And it always make the original owner in war stance.
    I didn't try to isolate which factions are affected by this strange side effect and vice versa since I can't understand it at all, but if faction original creators of settlement are distributed right, it can be interesting to dig in on this.
    A input would be appreciated if someone else has encountered it.
    I think what you encountered is phenomenon called "loyalists revolt" - Whenever a settlement revolts, there's a small chance it'll switch to the faction creator rather than just rebels. I think the chance is hardcoded (I am not sure) and it used to be much higher in RTW. I don't think this phenomenon is anyhow connected with shadowing factions. If you were doing a lot of tests there was a high probability to see it.

After their first scripted emergence, they will constantly reappear without help even after being destroyed, each time a romani settlement revolt, effectivly replacing the slave, no matter of who is the faction creator.
    So the chance is 100% in this case if I understand it correctly?
    Anyhow very good guide, finally I understand the use of "re_emergent".
    Rus 2 Total War 2.01 - Unofficial English translation released
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ation-released
    Buff and Shine submod for Broken Crescent
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tment-and-more
    My submod for Baltic Campaign - Battle for the Baltic
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...altic-Campaign

Thanks, vsivak. Yes, in all my tests, re_emergent in the descr_strat of a shadow faction make it shadowing the other faction it is linked to each time. City close to the capiltal, far away, 2 or three city at once, at each revolt, forced or not. It doesn't help my system as my shadows factions aren't supposed to always be around or at war but fortunatly this is the use of re_emergent.

About the loyalists revolt, I don't think so or the activating of my three shadowing factions has seriously boosted this small chance. I didn't make a real playthrough in years but I would remember if I had seen the phenomenon before.
    Because this keep happening in always the same cities, no matter the turn or if I forced the revolt or not.

Anyhow, I have discovered new things and am further testing them now so I will be updating the tutorial later.

Alright, so I was innacurate here and there, beside discovering that I can't make a once destroyed faction return afterward. With my habit of testing each script one by one at a starting new game, I just never realised before. I found a way to use a false shadowing to make destroyed factions return by script but I woudn't say no to someone telling me what I don't understand. You may re-read from start if you have before, I added/ changed a good part according to my experiences finding.

Added a 4 paragraph on the use of uniques names to clear a few doubts, should be my last edit. (Well, I think)

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Great to see new tutorials. Nice work selv! +rep

It's me again, I made a big editing that simplify things, I invite you to re-read from the part 3 if you have read before. I also took out the part 4 since there is no need anymore for extra explanations on unique names that aren't in Withnar tutorial on them.

Sorry for the mix-up, honest mistake.

Interesting news. I will definitely try it. Rep+
    Rus 2 Total War 2.01 - Unofficial English translation released
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ation-released
    Buff and Shine submod for Broken Crescent
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tment-and-more
    My submod for Baltic Campaign - Battle for the Baltic
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...altic-Campaign