Thread: How to gain colonization points as Baktria?

Default How to gain colonization points as Baktria?

Anyone have any tips or know of a good guide to get colonization points as Baktria?

My current campaign is my first time playing them in EB 2. At turn 118 now and just recently gained independence from Seleukia. Now I'd like to develop Baktria proper into a true Hellenistic Metropolis but unfortuantely I have no access to colony points from anywhere nearby.

I've seen it mentioned before that one would get points from the Baktria missions, but sadly I didn't get to do most of them.

This is because I had already conquered the places the missions would ask me to attack when I recieved the mission, which would cause the mission to instantly fail after accepting it .

Are there any other ways to get points or do I have to conquer all the way to Athens to get anymore Hellenic settlers?

Default Re: How to gain colonization points as Baktria?

At this point I might suggest planting your highest-influence general in Baktria, and/or building an academic gymnasium there.

Since Baktria is way out in the boonies, the colonist reward from the Seleukid quests is meant to be an incredibly tempting carrot (understandably so--without playing nice, players find themselves in your exact situation). It is kind of gamey to fail a quest for having completed the requirements of a quest too soon, but think of it as the Seleukids being overbearing control freaks.

You might luck out and find poleis closer than Athens (Antiocheia, for one). Persepolis has a t1 polis and usually AS builds settler towns there, which means you eventually get a t2 polis. The province east of Persepolis sometimes gets a bit hellenized, too. Just generally keep an eye on Seleukids provinces. The AI is unlimited by colonist points and likes to build structures that have good recruitment, including poleis and colonies.

You've spurned the simplest way to get them by pre-empting the missions.

Next simplest is to grow Baktria's polis into a Metropolis through culture change. That requires a governor with high Influence and several hundred turns.

Otherwise as rhavviepoodle says, keep an eye on the Seleukids and steal some of theirs. If you get two more polis_two's, you'll get colony points. Your nearest polis at the start of the game is Persepolis, but there may be others in the east by turn 118.

Awesome info guys, that is much appreciated.

Could yall explain (or lmk if there is already a guide on this) how colonization points work *outside* having a metropolis?

Is there a certrain trigger for Baktria with high enough hellenic culture and a high influence governor that auto makes a metropolis appear?

Also how does getting points with multiple polis 2 work?
    Just have a certain number and u get points equivalent to having one polis 3?

Thanks again for info fellas, much appreciated.

The mechanic is pretty basic; for every Metropolis (polis_three) and every trio of Poleis (polis_two - not the smallest) you have, you get 1 colony point every Olympic year (basically every 16 turns). So if you had two Metropolii and three Poleii, every 16 turns you'd get ([1+1]+1) 3 points.

No auto-appear to upgrade to a Metropolis, you need to get Hellenistic Polities up to 70% and have an appropriately large market. Note this method, especially when surrounded by provinces which aren't Greek, is slow.

Check the Gameplay Guides subforum in general for this kind of information. There's already a great guide on Baktria: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...EB-2-3-Baktria

You can always start up a new campaign and try to play the Seleukid's game a little bit more. I know it can bite starting up a new campaign when you're already quite invested in the current one, but... well, let's say that there isn't exactly one right way to play EB2, but there are a couple factions which have multiple wrong ways of playing them.

There are four colonist points available from Seleukid quests, and I'd highly recommend you get all of them. Generally, I would suggest running low taxes in Baktria (so it upgrades to where you can build settler cities as soon as possible, though it may be a while before you can afford not to run high taxes) and spend two colonist points upgrading its colonies. This guarantees that you'll eventually get culture there high enough to build a metropolis and bootstrap into a settler economy. The other benefit is you end up with a recruitment hub. Granted, some players may prefer not to have a recruitment hub, but I find that having gymnasiums and temples of forge in every province just isn't particularly efficient.

With two colonist points spent, you have two left. You could either build polis_one in Marakanda and Oskobara (and wait for their culture to eventually reach 49% (again, high influence governors help with this), or you could conquer Persepolis and use the last two colonist points to upgrade its colonies to cities as well. With two metropoleis, you get a steady trickle of colonists that you can use to fortify the rest of the frontier (prioritize, of course--place colonies where they're most needed). The good news is that Baktria campaigns always tend to take a long time to bootstrap into a proper settler economy, so 118 turns is not... really that long in comparison? Either way, good luck with conquering all those barbaroi, Jimalim.