Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Great News: Empire Divided DLC for Rome II is about the III Century Crysis!!!!!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Great News: Empire Divided DLC for Rome II is about the III Century Crysis!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    What Empire Divided get very well is, IMHO, the feeling of desperation the old Romans had to had in the 3rd century AD.
    Good point Gaiten, a 'desperation' which gave birth to the Tetrarchy and to the following developments of the IV and V century which turned the Roman Empire of Octavianus and Marcus Aurelius, into an Eastern Despotic Monarchy. This is IMHO a precise cultural choice, CA is telling us: A)During the second half of the III century there was a serious and deep crisis. B)The Late Empire of the following centuries was built on the basis (ruins?) of this tragic crisis. C)What followed was a radically new building, grown in a political, military and cultural landscape of crisis, war and destruction.

All this is IMHO a good cultural work made by CA, in practice they are telling us they have rejected all the contemporary consolatory explainations concerning the Roman Late Antiquty, consolatory explainations stating that the Roman Crisis ended at the beginning of IV century, that the whole IV century's history is for the great part the history of a 'Rebirth', stating that there were no more problems, that the economy was now flourishing, the army was stronger and better equipped than ever, and that the new Christian Empire refounded and pacificated by Constantine (For this kind of 'pacificated historians' Diocletian was in fact just a 'historical accident', something like a 'quantum singularity', like the Huns, used to explain everything, also the Fall, of course) was the 'natural evolution' of the old Roman Empire.

Now, the new players of this interesting new DLC are experiencing another thesis, maybe less pacificated, but in my opinion also more realistic and accurate.

Now guys, before saying I'm wrong, I'm outdated, I'm excessively tied to the old Gibbon theses and that I've no sources and that contemporary archaeology states that .. bla, bla, bla, .. let me remind you that this is just my personal opinion, based on nothing else than half a century of readings, passion and cultural and political choices and experiences.

Default Re: Great News: Empire Divided DLC for Rome II is about the III Century Crysis!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Wait, you're right, but the game has been made on Rome 2 engine, and Rome 2 is moddable, at least it's quite moddable as engine. About Attila, I've seen few Mods which have modded the map, two examples are Viking Mod and the WONDERFUL (Surprise, surprise: RUSSIAN o.c.!) Medieval Kingdoms with a radically new map, radically new buildings and totally new units.

Few screens taken from my Sicilian campaign just to explain what actually is Med Kingdoms:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So, I think the point is that we need Modders, we need Modders with a lot of free time, a lot of interest for Late Antiquity, a lot of patience and a lot of generosity to mod the game as you and me wish.

In any case my most beloved friend and great Artist Emperor Caesar is turning Empire Divided into a masterpiece, follow Him, follow His work and love Him as much as possible, this is the best suggestion I can give you my dear Gallo-Roman friend.
    Speaking abour great mods : the one, the unique (the russian obviously) : Judex Rex : great playability, MARVELLOUS roman units, AOR.... With a map moded it could be the game i've waited from CA when they released ATW :-)

Aram Kurdo's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    Yep, I thank the same hahahaha! Maybe now the team of Invasio Barbarorum should begin to work in a mod about the reign of Marco Aurelius or the Severans, so we will can to expect that CA "copy" the ideas in a near future for DLCS xd
    while i have much more pleasure and better experience apart of nostalogia for Rome 1 compare to Rome 2 & Attila, couldnt you build this nice mods for them too? you know your historical accuracy and much more details specially about eastern cultures are amazing not CA not even great modders like DeI and else couldnt make something like you did! so can you do it again or its not possible for Rome 2 & Attila ?
    Racists and Fascists Call You Terrorists, Humanity Calls You "FREEDOM FIGHTER"
    YPJ (Women protection Units) Warriors in Rojava (Kurdistan Of Syria)

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

So, one year after release, what is the opinion of the IB community on this DLC ? Did anybody like it ?

I admit I could not enjoyed it because of the units skins. Because of it I never managed to go beyond the first 20 turns. I am not sure if there is a mod that improves it.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    So, one year after release, what is the opinion of the IB community on this DLC ? Did anybody like it ?

I admit I could not enjoyed it because of the units skins. Because of it I never managed to go beyond the first 20 turns. I am not sure if there is a mod that improves it.
    Same here, but in my opinion the idea was good, sadly few people are interested in third century and this slow down the modding community.

Anyway this mod, from an aestetic point of view, at least makes the main Roman faction playable:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    IMPERIAL LEGIONS OF THE THIRD CENTURY by Leonardo the Great.

This mod beats Empire Divided all day long! The immersion, the development, the effort that has been put in this mod puts CA in shame and in a corner.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345