Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWC Down for 1.5 days

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default TWC Down for 1.5 days

Late Sunday night/early Monday morning the site went down. There was another monster power failure in downtown Denver that included our building. Now this shouldn't have been a problem. We are supposed to be on backup generators. But after the fiasco last December (you really should read that if you haven't or to refresh your memory) apparently the idiot electricians in charge of this did not hook up anything above the second floor to the generators. I nearly lost my mind when I heard that, we are (were) on the 11th floor.

The building was hot at about 8 PM Monday night, but we still couldn't get out. Something happened to the Level 3 (owned by Century Link now as of last month) fiber routing equipment. That is another group of idiots now on my spit list so to speak. I have no idea what their problem was, and at this point I do not care. I did hear that they were back up at about 6 PM last night. But at about 1 PM on Tuesday I decided to go grab the web server and take it to a new spot.

If you recall in that other thread, I mentioned a deal I made with one of my clients about using Comcast fiber in his building, and a 90 day time period for the install. Well between construction delays and permits and all that crap, it took a bit longer than 90 days. We have had fiber live in that building since July 9th. This was a total building remodel and I put in hundreds of hours running network cable and doing all the network stuff for him, so that TWC could piggyback on his fiber connection and IP addresses. I split some costs with him on this as it relates to network equipment and labor, That building is now 99% complete, and I was planning on moving our stuff over the Thanksgiving weekend.

It got moved last night. Mostly anyways.

I didn't move any battery backup stuff, and that buildings generator still isn't hooked up. But if we have a power issue there its on the ground floor and its a 30 minute drive, so I can manually hook up a small generator easily rather than carrying one up 11 flights of stairs. And every piece of network equipment we own (me and my client) and have extra stuff just sitting right there. Everything except the actual Comcast fiber interface can be replaced in about 10 minutes, and Comcast guarantees a 4 hour response time.

I have hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars tied up in this project over the last 10 months. I haven't been posting about it because I have been working on it. The last of the offices was laid out in October and cabled, now there is some painting and stuff like that going on. I am not sure why the generator install is delayed, but eventually we will have a generator big enough to power the server room and phones and certain other parts of the building that fires automatically. So all we have to have is enough battery power to last 3-4 minutes while the generator spins up and levels out.

The entire point of this project stems from the problems we had last December. Neither James (my client) nor I was impressed with having to rely on other people. As bad as TWC was hit in that incident, he was hit far worse. He has 200ish employees that could not communicate with his customers or with each other because of that problem last year, and both of us decided that relying on ourselves would be better in the long run. He would rather pay someone to do nothing except sit there putting diesel fuel in a generator all day than go through more BS like that, and I agree with him.

His stuff has been live on the Comcast fiber connection since July 14th or 15th, and has had no problems at all. My stuff (other than TWC) has been on since mid Sept. I moved some of the TWC servers (Vault, mail) the first part of October. I didn't move the main TWC server because of the no generator issue. I guess I should have.

I still have to rebuild Thor (database server) and Olympus (test server) that got fried in that incident last year. I think Thor needs a new motherboard ($1200) and not sure what Olympus needs. It wont boot at all. So still a bunch of work to do.

At some point over the next couple of weeks I will have to take the site down to install battery backups and get the generator hooked up. But at least I should be able to plan for that.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: TWC Down for 1.5 days

Thanks for keeping us informed on these issues. I hope that they will be solved for good very soon. Shame that I don't live close to Denver or I would have come to offer my help

Edit: can we fire that useless electrician?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 08, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Shame that I don't live close to Denver or I would have come to offer my help
    I would have taken it! Not too many site members live in the area. Hader is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and last I heard he was down on Florida playing around in that hurricane.

Thanks for the info!
    Reading about all those cost makes feel like a freeloader.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

GED,

Thanks for the explanation, it must have been very stressful, it is all so frustrating, when you think you have it all covered, then find it wasn't.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    Reading about all those cost makes feel like a freeloader.
    Eh, don't. Running a major website has never been cheap. I knew that when I took the place over. And we run on a shoestring compared to other sites our size. Most people do now know or do not think about how big we are or how much traffic we really get. Alexa has us ranked 14,150 in the US and 23,614 globally. What that means is that there are 14,149 sites that get more traffic from the US than we do. That's pretty damned big for a fan based website.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/twcenter.net
    https://www.alexa.com/minisiteinfo/www.twcenter.net

Compare that to some of the sites on this list with a similar number of total posts.
    http://www.thebiggestboards.com/index.php?pageno=2

For instance TribalWar.com has slightly fewer posts than we do, but is ranked 136,000 globally for traffic, KillerMovies.com has slightly fewer posts than we do and they are ranked 142,000 globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    GED,

Thanks for the explanation, it must have been very stressful, it is all so frustrating, when you think you have it all covered, then find it wasn't.
    More of a pain in the ass than stress.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Thanks for the update, GED. TWC might be knocked down but it will keep getting back up again as long as GED is around.

A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

rdrive's Avatar Laetus

Any word on when the TWC store will be back up? I wouldn't mind buying some apparel to help with the cost of running this site, especially after hearing what kind of crap you've dealt with to keep it running.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

You mean this?

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Thanks for keeping us informed GED. Would've loved to help, but I'm in Michigan

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

GED,

Wow, I am blown away with those figures, there was me thinking that footfall was reducing, having spent most my time Stainless Steel Forum, but it appears to be very healthy. Perhaps Attila and Rome 2 have alot more following and I need to spend time on other parts of this forum.

It would be interesting to see what Total War Arena, the joint venture between CA and Wargaming.Net will have on our footfall in the months ahead, an interesting concept, if they can get it to work.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

I hope the costs of being hosted by this "data centre" are low, given the appalling standard of availability and backup. I know of clients who haven't had a single outage or interruption in over a decade of being hosted in a proper Tier III or Tier IV data centre. That's what you get from having a purpose-built, dedicated building designed solely for that job, not some converted floors of another building.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

GED, thanks for your detailed report and all your effort to bring the site back online!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Has the negligent electrician been properly punished with jumper cables?

I have only recently started with Shogun II, RTW1, and MTW2. This site and The Org are fantastic resources.

I was formerly in the industry before retiring. Trust me I understand the stress of data centers and disruptions as I worked on Wall St. trading floors for about 50% of my career.

Watch your BP. A site outage is not worth a stroke or heart attack even no matter how upsetting. Life before machines. Thank you and be well.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

thanks for the update GED
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

@GrnEyedDvl - Incidents like that should make you ponder what happens if you, for some physical reason or other, personally are unable to address the problem. Might want to create a management back-up, too, if possible, somehow. Just in case. Otherwise, all these people enjoying the services of TWC might discover one day that the site is down for a very long time, which could have been prevented with a management back-up in place. Just saying.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Thank you for the update much appreciated .

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Missed this post. Thanks for the update GED.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast