Default Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR] [November 26, Update]

Pride of the Kartli
    AAR Information:
    Faction: Kartli
    Mod: Divide et Impera
    Difficulty: Normal/Normal
    Type: Third-Person Narrative
    Scope: Sporadic Periods
    Time Reckoning: Zoroaster Calendar(Year 1 in 441 B.C.E. in the reign of Artaxerxes I)
    Unit Representation: Due to simulating engine’s limitations, each unit represents a one-tenth of the actual size of the forces.

Contents
    Episode 1: Man in the Tavern
    Episode 2: The Underdogs
    Episode 3: Homecoming of a Soter
    Episode 4: Steppe Hordes at the Gates
    Episode 5: Grass Roots Do Not Catch Fire

Episode 1: Man in the Tavern

Mtskheta, year 521 of Zoroastrian reckoning in the era of Artaxerxes I,
    I am a young merchant from Tarsus and my name is Revaz. Forgive me if I cannot talk to you much for the moment because I have to watch my workers unloading the cargo from a dozen oxen carts which we had dragged over this rugged terrain for the whole day. The sun begins to set over the horizon, and we do not have much time.

When I secure my goods finally, it is already dark. I pay my weary men their daily wages in copper coins. The men gathered in groups of threes to fives and some go straight to the barn where they will sleep overnight while some march for pub. I enter the tavern and checked in to a room upstairs. Then I step into the compound dining room. Although they are almost complete strangers, everyone become engaged in random conversations from politics to women. A few of them with musical talents begins playing flute and lyre. To entertain the guests, the tavern owner had a dozen of Persian beauties who dived into the crowd and started dancing to the music.

The charming scene draws even the most exhausted travelers. I cannot help myself and I starts dancing with the girls. But my legs give in too quickly as I had sat on the saddle for almost two days straight. I grab a cup of wine and sit back on a bench. Just as I am about to take a sip I hear a voice beside me, “These men have grown too soft like butter. Such ignorant fools!”.

Only then I notice that an old man is sitting beside me. I wonder what could be possibly wrong with people. Come on! They had a hard day and let them celebrate for a while with their own gold! I am slightly annoyed to be honest. I hate grumpy people. “Want some wine?”, I toss him the cup.

“No thanks” he replies. The oldie is grumpier than I thought.

Nevertheless, the old lad explains with an annoyed tone, “While these people celebrate, thousands of lives had been sacrificed to buy their freedom, and I wish it is eternal. Because if it is not, the kingdom won’t hold another century. Do you know that our borders are already shrinking inwards?”

I don’t know honestly, so I have to admit. “What a miserable pile of meat you are! Because all you care is gold and profit and nothing else!”.

“Hey old mister, unless you meant rude, you shouldn’t say like this. This textile trade is my family business”, I respond in anger.

He shakes his head and says, “May be you are. But it is not your family business in the days of King Phanarvaz! Your ancestors were hardy warriors.”

I argue back, “Now that we are at peace, we do not need warriors, we need talented administrators”.

He responds mine again,“And what do you do? Spend endless nights in taverns and brothels? You may be a hard working little merchant, but here in Mtskheta, everyday is like this. Our tribe’s blood is failing.”

Now give me some wine”, he grabs my cup and took a sip as he continues.“And you should be proud of your ancestors, son. I tell you a tale of our ancestors if you are interested.” A little bit of curiosity shines on me, especially because of the old man’s strange character. I nod at him.

Last edited by Paladin94610; November 26, 2017 at 01:51 AM.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR]

Liking it, have some rep.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Nicely done! Your narrator, who speaks as if he is talking directly to the reader at first, is engaging and you have got me interested in this kingdom whose borders are shrinking and this tribe whose blood is failing. This looks like an interesting choice of faction (I have fought them but never played them). I'm looking forward to the tale of the narrator's ancestors and wondering whether this tale will be the AAR itself.

I am intrigued! I am excited to find out about the Kartli and about Revaz and the old man. As Alwyn has said, I wonder if the AAR will follow the Old Man's tale or Revaz, or perhaps both simultaneously. I will be waiting for more.

Paladin94610's Avatar Senator

Episode 2: The Underdogs

So this is it. This epic tale begins with the ice-capped mountains of Caucasia. Two gigantic mountains stretching from south east to north west between the Pontic Sea and the Caspian Sea, providing a natural barrier with the endless seas of grass in the north and the fertile valleys of Armenia. The mountains and the vales in between are inhabited by the tribes of Kartli. In the early second century of Artaxerxes’ Era (AE), Macedonian armies conquered the country. Since Alexander’s death, however, his empire was quickly divided into several smaller dominions. The situation was not so different even in the remote parts of the empire. This, my son, is when our ancestors entered the stage. With the Greek influence fading out in the area, Caucasia’s Greek rulers could barely survive from local conflicts and internal power struggles. They had become meaner and more ruthless than they had ever been. And the time came when a village that belongs to the Mtskheta tribe was burned down by the Greeks. There are many Kartvelian tribes in Caucasia but none of them are as strong as the citizens of Mtskheta, the largest town in the region. The incident made Mtskheta’s young chief, Phanarvaz, to take up arms against the Greeks. He led hundreds of men into the city streets in an attempt to overthrow the governor, Cleomenes. The riot is crushed ruthlessly. But Phanarvaz manages to escape from slaughter. The Greek minority population feels unsafe to live in the city and moved to another town to the west of Mtskheta, Uplistsikhe. The Greeks pursuePhanarvaz but he fled to the mountains. He is elected prince and the rebels continue to resist with hit and run tactics.

Three years later, it becomes clear that a pitch battle is inevitable. The armies meet on the plain outside the town of Uplistsikhe in the spring of 168 AE.

The partisan army that Prince Pharnavaz fields, is made up of thousands of warriors on foot, ideal for fighting in the mountains. But only the gods know what will turn out to be, should they hold against the Greek contingents on a plain. Lucky for our chief, he has the support of another Kartli noble, Manishtushu who has another 600 horsemen, doubling his mounted force in the battle. Cleomenes commands a lesser number of troops but his army is the largest Greek army ever assembled in Caucasia since Alexander’s days. He can field over 3,600 phalangites and thousands more swordsmen, archers and skirmishers. Greeks lack cavalry though. Cleomenes can afford only a few hundreds of light cavalry. But then there are also Caucasian chiefs who support the Greeks, adding up the figures with some 12,000 men including 1,200 heavy cavalry.

Battle of Uplistsikhe, Spring, 168BC

The prince perfectly appreciates his foe’s superiority based on his previous encounters although army strengths differ little. He decides to put faith in his highland warriors and place all these contingents to the left flank. To protect them from cavalry charges, he also deployed some 3,000 levies on each flank.

Kartvelian center is held by levy contingents. An impassable ridge runs along the no man’s land and as the army advances Pharnavaz sends two third of his levies over the ridge and put one-third under the ridge as reserves. Pharnavaz knows that Caucasian heavy cavalry that Cleomenes fields is enough to tie down his own cavalry. He takes the left wing while Manishtushu takes the right and they advance cautiously.

When the armies approach in the range, skirmishers and archers begin to loose their volleys but Cleomenes holds a nearly six times stronger missile superiority. Kartvelians can do nothing but brace for volley after volley. Hundreds are killed in the first hour. The first hand to hand engagement occurs as Cleomenes have the Greek cavalry charged into partisans’ wings.

Lightly armored Greeks are no match to the Kartvelians. Cleomenes sends half of his Caucasian cavalry to reinforce his faltering assault on partisan left wing. The prince calls out for a levy contingent for assistance. A thousand levies join the mounted combat.

On right wing, Manishtushu ties down Greek cavalry with levy spearmen and he attacks Greek skirmishers. His cavalry is accompanied by another levy contingent.

At the center, the Greeks prepares to mount an assult on the ridge. Cleomenes knows that his phalangites would perform poorly attacking uphill and send Greek swordsmen instead. The Caucasian nobles also bring Caucasian levies into battle and they advances from the right side of the Greeks.

The Greeks give no quarters to their enemies. Thousands of Kartvelians are massacred but the Kartvelians have expected this and hold the line as their prince commands.

In the meantime highland warriors arrive at the scene on left wing. They mount a fierce charge into Caucasian ranks.

It becomes clear that either highland warriors on our right wing or Greek foes on our left break. Another hour passes as the massed troops fight over the ridge. The balance finally turn to favour the Greeks, as a Kartvelian levy contingent routs and creates a hole. The line is held only by the valiant highland skirmishers. But they are also overrun quickly and the Greeks starts to attack rear ranks of Kartvelian center. The whole Kartvelian center begin to panick. But Pharnavaz is informed of the situation. He left one of his captains, Deemuukratee to take command of the cavalry which is already gaining a significant upper hand. Then he leads the only reserve contingent of 1,500 levies into the gap. The center rallies to the prince’s presence and pushes back the Greeks. Both sides are exhausted and spent. Cleomenes decides this is the time to advance his phalangites.

Seeing the mighty phalanx advance, Pharnavaz sends messengers to the unengaged contingents under the ridge. Just as the phalangites scale the uneven terrain, the reserves emerge beside the ridge and some of them outflank this Greek center of phalangites, while the remainder stands guard from the rear. The outflanking troops manage to rout some of the Greek contingents but the Greeks phanlangites presents a near inpenetrable wall of spears. Even on uneven terrain, Kartvelians have to give up ground yard by yard.

Caucasian tactic usually involves skirmishers on the flanks. Pharnavaz decides not to use this traditional tactic being too predictable. But with every part of armed forces engaged, he now thinks of moving missile troops to flanks. Archers take position on the left wing and slingers on the right wing, both protected by melee combatants. They begin hurling down missiles upon packed formations of phalangites. Two phalanxes turn to face the flanks. But Kartvelian skirmishers give no break. Another bloody afternoon hour passes, and the two phalanxes are decimated; with hundreds of them, wounded and crippled by slingshots and hundreds more shot dead by arrows. The disorganized phalanx deserts their posts and run. The routing men are killed or captured by the cavalry.

Manishtushu shatters Greek skirmishers on Greek left wing and procedes towards those on the right wing.
    The battle starts to go south for Cleomenes when highlander warriors on the left wing finally break Caucasian contingents and outflank the Greek center.

Cleomenes has no choice but to charge right up into the outflanking foes. There is some distance between them, and his Caucasian bodyguard cavalry only hit the rear of the highlanders. Armoured horses crush and trample their foe. Some companies in the rear shatters with hundreds of casualties. But obviously this damage is too late to revert the course of battle.

Meanwhile on the left wing, Deemuukratee breaks the Caucasian cavalry and rides towards Cleomenes. Lightly armed levies are able to quickly accompany him on the field. Cleomenes find himself almost surrounded and attempt to break through. Deemuukratee begin to chase him down. With the support of spear infantry, Deemuukratee’s men cut down two hundreds of Cleomenes’ guards in the chase. Cleomenes is forced to stand and fight. But Deemuukratee pours more and more reinforcements into the fray. The Greek commander is eventually captured.

Even so, the hardy phalanx refuses to surrender. It takes another half an hour of bloody fight before they surrender and this is only because of devastating cavalry charges from the rear. The partisan army runs down the routed Greeks where thousands more are killed or captured.

Last edited by Paladin94610; November 09, 2017 at 05:29 AM.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR] [November 9, Update]

It's good to see you back with a new AAR, Paladin94610.

I like the way you've described the back and forth of the battle - until quite a long way through, there's still some doubt about who will win, and I think that works well.

I agree that the battle is well done, I am enjoying your AAR!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Very good to read. I really liked how you approached the dialogue in the first episode. The pictures are great as well as the explanations. I would have liked a bit more narrative, but personal preferences are sometimes the result of reading too many books without the pictures! I am not dunning your efforts. More like trying to see what I may do myself that will work for me and thinking while posting.

A +rep from me for a good read!

Character Cast
    Revaz : A young Kartvelian merchant from Antioch in the first person narrated period (521AE, alternatively 80AD in historical timeline)
    Old Man: Old and mysterious veteran who is telling the story to Revaz.
    Pharnavaz: King of the Kartli, current protagonist of the story
    Manishtushu: A friend and fellow tribal chief of Pharnavaz

Episode 3: Homecoming of a Soter

The old man tells this interesting story about how our Mtskheta tribe became independent. I am definitely taught at school how our kingdom arose but I did not know we went through much hardship. As I am entangled in his enthralling narration, the old man resumes his story.

After overthrowing the Hellenic rule and exiling the better part of the Greek aristocracy, the Kartli tribes elected the prince as king of all the Kartvelian tribes. He is given the titular name ‘Soter’ for the deliverance of the mountain tribes from the foreign rulers. The tribesmen of Uplistsikhe, who supported the Greeks are reluctant at first. When all other tribes unite under King Pharnavaz however, their aristocratic power is also absorbed by the royal house.

The tribal chief, Manishtushu has been the main supporter of Pharnavaz in the rebellion, and Pharnavaz owes a tremendous gratitude over him. Therefore Pharnavaz relies on him in maintaining his kingship. He lets Manishtushu govern Uplistikhe and grants a titular name, Chief War Councilor, effectively making him his second-in-command. As you will see the two men will go to war together side by side in countless battles.

At that time Caucasus region is fractured into a number of states. To our east, lies the Ardhan, a fellow Iberian tribe but with more Steppe blood. Our western borders are made up by another Greek colony, Colchis, who fought a number of wars with our own Greek overlords. Northward the mountains is a vast steppen plain shared by two nomadic tribes; the Siraces and the Aorsoi. But the real powerhouse is Armenia to our south. Armenia possesses a lot of wealthy cities and a string of forts that block passage from the Caucasus. Armenians are hostile against several Seleucid satrapies and it brings them into war with the Seleucids. But they are not alone. Media Atropatene finds Armenia as a friend since it is also declaring independence from the Seleucids.

In the year 163 AE, Aorsoi declares war on Ardhan and sends a horde to raid northern parts of Ardhan. King Pharnavaz now has a fervent army of Kartvelians. And the Kartvelians used to regard Ardhani territories as part of ancient Iberia and citizens of Ardhani settlements as their related tribes. The king is a good manipulator and he knows their minds. He does not let this opportunity slip away. Making it a reason for an invasion, he prepares for war. Many highland warriors join under his banner, eventually making up around 7,500 seasoned warriors. With the combined treasury of all tribes, He recruits a few thousands of levies too. When Pharnavaz set out from Mtskheta in the spring of 164 EA, he has over 21,000 infantry and 3,500 archers and 900 javelinmen. Lord Manishtushu brings his own 600 men - strong noble cavalry. Minor skirmishes occur across the countryside. But Ardhan does not have any strength to hold against Kartvelian advance since they are facing enemies on two fronts. It is fortunate for the Kartvelians since the Aorsoi horde takes too long to advance, going back and forth as the Ardhani horsemen harass them from the mountain forts. Pharnavaz arrived at city of Ardhan in early autumn. Only the garrison force led by their prince holds the city. Our exhausted troops do not have the strength to assault the city head on. So Pharnavaz decides to wait for a few days so that he can replenish his losses and try to starve off his enemy. What he does not know is Pacorus, the king of Ardhans, won a decisive victory over the Aorsoi invaders recently, and now marching swiftly to defend their homecity.

Our chronicles records that Ardhani vanguard had arrived in the early morning of 13th, month of Sīmannu, 164AE, when it crushed the northern camp of the besiegers. It was a small force and was repelled when reinforcements arrive from other sides of the city. Then, Pharnavaz lifts the siege and prepares for a pitched battle. Pacorus, when combined with his sons’ garrison numbers over twenty-two thousands. He is confident that he would win the day yet again.

Pharnavaz sends Manishtushu’s six hundred riders to outflank from his left. Meanwhile the opposing armies engage with highland warriors deployed on the left wing.

The two sides exchange missiles for a while and then Kartvelian contingents launch an assault. But the initial momentum is lost as the spike pits and caltrops impede their advance. Yet Ardhani fails to shatter the Kartvelian assault who suffers a few thousand losses. So the king orders a second attack.

On the Kartvelian left however, the highlanders quickly overrun the Ardhani right flank and they strike the Ardhani center from rear.

About noon Manishtushu reaches the enemy’s rear and begins to run down Ardhani skirmishers; thus freeing Pharnavaz’s own cavalry contingents to deliver a fatal blow at the enemy’s left and center.

The battle costs Pacorus’ life and his sons are forced into exile subsequently. Since Ardhani Kingdom has a majority of Georgian population, it is technically annexed by the Kartvelians. This, my son, is for the first time in two centuries, the tribes of Georgia become united under one banner. And there is a saying that hard times forge strong men, Revaz.

Last edited by Paladin94610; November 18, 2017 at 04:28 AM.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR] [November 16, Update]

I particularly like the description of the background to the battle, here. (And the map - maps are always helpful!) You explain very nicely why the battle takes place, and what state the armies are in when it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Very good to read. I really liked how you approached the dialogue in the first episode. The pictures are great as well as the explanations. I would have liked a bit more narrative, but personal preferences are sometimes the result of reading too many books without the pictures! I am not dunning your efforts. More like trying to see what I may do myself that will work for me and thinking while posting.

A +rep from me for a good read!
    First I thought about doing a first-person narrative story, but campaign's too long for a narration. So I decided to switch it to third-person narration and limiting it to bridge the gap between past and present and to use it as tool to summarize and give opinions from time to time, about the campaign itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree that the battle is well done, I am enjoying your AAR!
    Thank you for compliments. And Kartli has an amazing roster and are quite difficult to play on vanilla DeI. I played twice on H/N and failed. I can survive this time only because of cultural tension submod and some pure luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    It's good to see you back with a new AAR, Paladin94610.
    I like the way you've described the back and forth of the battle - until quite a long way through, there's still some doubt about who will win, and I think that works well.
    The first battles are the most thrilling, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Liking it, have some rep.
    Rep is love.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I particularly like the description of the background to the battle, here. (And the map - maps are always helpful!) You explain very nicely why the battle takes place, and what state the armies are in when it begins.
    There will be a lot more maps in future updates.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Character Cast
    Revaz : A young Kartvelian merchant from Antioch in the first person narrated period (521AE, alternatively 80AD in historical timeline)

Bonron: King of the Aorsoi steppe people

Episode 4: Steppe Hordes at the Gates
    King Pharnavaz succeeds in liberating the Caucasus from Greek and Nomads’ rule and subsequently he is revered as the soter, or savior in the tongue of the Hellenic people. Dozens of Kartvelian and Ardhani tribes including other Caucasian highlanders and even some Armenians living close to the mountains, take shelter under Pharnavaz’s banner.

Additionally the king establishes trade relations with Colchian Kingdom to the west. With the new wealth pouring down from the Pontic Sea and the numerous plunder during the wars, the Kartvelians are able to extend and redecorate their home cities of Mtskheta and Uplistsikhe. A new temple is erected in Gabala and the gold mines in the Ardhan region are extended and manned with the slaves.In Mtskheta, a new army quarters is built to house the royal army which is composed mostly of the famous highland warriors.

But of all these spoils of war and the newfound wealth of his family, nothing is worth more than that little baby boy born by his wife. The boy is later known in the history as Balathu the Great, as you will see later, Revaz.

This peaceful time does not last long however. Three years later, Armenian overlord at the city of Armavir have his subjects pay heavy taxes for the war efforts in the south, despite the fact that they are having a bad harvest. There are Armenian tribesmen who have sworn oath to Pharnavaz in the region. And these poor Armenians pleads King Pharnavaz for protection which the king feels as of his responsibility. After the war council agrees to his stance, he leads a formidable force of 26,000 men to subdue the overlord and take control of Armavir. The campaign quickly escalates into a steamrolling raid, and a string of forts Armenian built falls one by one in a matter of days. The repressed Armenians near the border rejoice and join us in the siege of Armavir. The Armavirans have over ten thousands strong garrison force. But the Kartvelian army outnumbers them more than two to one. We take the streets and wards from the defenders in a fierce assault that lasts only a single day. Armenians are pushed back towards the acropolis. On the next day, Armenian governor surrenders when his citadel is surrounded. But the king knows these lands are populated mostly by Armenians. So instead of annexing, he creates a new vassal state, Satrapy of Sophene, who will have to trade with support in future wars and Kartli. In return they will receive the protection of Kartvelians.

“So in those days, Armavir is not even part of Kartli?”, I ask.
    “No, my son. It is a small town but it could still rival any other settlement in Georgia with many beautiful buildings with both Persian and Hellenic architecture. It even has a public bath! There is a long story of how she becomes the third jewel of our nation after Mtskheta and Antioch. Now let me continue the story, son”, the old man continues.

While Pharnavaz is campaigning in Armavir, the Aorsoi hordes set hooves again on the Ardhani soil in the fall of 169 AE. They pillage several fishing villages by the Caspian Sea. Taking advantage of a lacking resistance, they advance even further south. Pharnavaz has to leave a small local garrison in Armavir and returns to Gabala. Throughout the next spring he sends several garrisons to the numerous small forts guarding the pass between Caucasus Mountains and Caspian Sea. Although Aorsoi forces are mobile horse archers, they do not possess necessary equipment to assault the forts. The war is put in a stalemate for the year. The Aorsoi realize that it is fruitless to stay and they withdraw their forces. Only then Pharnavaz mobilizes his army to the north. The Aorsoi horde is pushed back beyond Terek River.

During autumn of 170 AE, Aorsoi renews their attack and crosses Terek again with over ten thousand horse archers. To support the horsemen, they also bring some light infantry about the same strength as fellow riders. To secure their supplies, this giant host of 20,000 men makes camp in the middle of a plain to the south of Terek River. From there the Aorsoi advance southwards again with six thousands foot soldiers. This time our forts will not hold. But the Caucasians are amazing trekkers who can move whole armies between mountain passes. Lord Manishtushu suggests the king to show off a small fraction of forces to the south, while taking the bulk of our army into the mountain vales and attack the supply camp in the enemy’s rear which they left three days ago.

1st Battle of Ardhan, 170AE

The steppe army which is assigned to guard the camp, sets out to confront us. Of nomad warriors, their foot soldiers is recruited from slaves and lesser subjects while the Aorsoi warriors ride with pride. It is said that there seems to be a huge gap of coordination between these two elements. So their cavalry column often dislodges from the foot contingents. King Pharnavaz knows this and he sends scouts to monitor their movements. And at the right time of the day, when the infantry is alone in the plain, the king plans an attack.

Pharnavaz can afford only his bodyguard cavalry of 560 men in strength for the opening move in a lightning strike,. The Steppen foot soldiers, although being lightly armed, they are well equipped to topple the mounted knights. Pharnavaz's riders has to steer around the Aorsoi contingents and selectively takes out their skirmishers.

The Aorsoi send riders to the cavalry column which is some six miles from there. But Pharnavaz’s infantry keeps following closely from behind. The highlanders are swift and aggressive when they fight. Hurling javelins and spears into the ranks of Steppen warriors who are lightly armored with wicker shields and axes. Kartvelian contingents smash into the Aorsoi infantry column. The battle begins to take shape as the melee begins.

Half an hour later, the Aorsoi cavalry returns at the tree-line of the woods in the north. Hails of arrows spring out amongst the trees and hit the flank of our highland troops. But if they come to save their infantry, they are too far and too late.

Manishtushu has levy spearmen with big shields advanced towards the woods. Behind them, Kartvelian archers loose counter volleys into the woods from time to time. Although our volleys are way more numerous, the trees gives extra protection for the Aorsoi. As our men close by the woods, their aim becomes more deadly. And the Aorsoi horse archers have to give the ground eventually.

Meanwhile Pharnavaz's and Manishtushu's riders attack Aorsoi infantry from behind and subsequently rout them. Kartvelian cavalry enters the woods from the north. They are met by a fierce charge with lances by Aorsoi heavy cavalry. But our horsemen are better armored and have shields. Therefore Aorsoi cavalry has to retreat.

Over seven thousands of steppe tribesmen are killed in this battle. When the King Boron realizes what have happened, it is too late. Nevertheless, his army is still a strong force. Pharnavaz marches south despite the recent victory and his men being tired. Supply lines of the Aorsoi are now effectively cut and King Pharnavaz can rendevous . But they can live off the land for a few months. And King Pharnavaz cannot let the nomads raid Ardhan again. A full day’s forced march catches up with the nomadic horde. But the steppen armies are trained to fight on the field. Even with so much casualties, the Aorsoi can still deploy ten full contingents of horse archers, 6,000 strong in total. This is why king of the Aorsoi, Bonron, is so confident that he prepares to confront the host of Kartli.

2nd Battle of Ardhan, 170AE

The impetuous Aorsoi right wing begins to advance towards Kartvelian camp at sunrise. Alarm bells are rung and horns are blown. The tired Kartvelian soldiers rush out of the camp and run to deploy in a usual battle formation. The Aorsoi loose stinging volleys into the highlanders’ ranks.

This invokes the highlanders to charge at the Aorsoi riders without orders from higher chain of command. But Lord Manishtushu manages to halt three of the contingents, while other two chase away the riders. Their javelin volleys kill a few hundreds of horsemen. Despite this, Aorsoi riders continue to organize a feign retreat which the Kartvelians gladly pursue.

But they advance way too far into the enemy’s field that they are outflanked and charged from behind. One contingent is almost routed. But the other counter charge the riders and save their friends. Only then the duo fall back to their original positions.

By this moment, the Kartvelian contingents almost finish forming up. The levy spearmen put shields and provide protection for the numerous archers behind. The two sides exchange arrows for an hour. But the distance between them and it is the wind, my son, that plagues the nomad armies. During that battle it is said that wind was blowing along the battlelines making either sides’ volleys ineffective.

This allows the Kartvelian forces to advance under fire with relatively far less casualties. The highlander contingents on the left wing holds despite under heavy fire and equipped with smaller shields. Manishtushu tells the men to reserve javelins to be used at close range. And the horse archers dare not come close. Kartvelian left wing slowly advances, supported by Manishtushu’s cavalrymen, allowing some archer contingents to outflank the Aorsoi center. The Aorsoi also fails to outflank the Kartvelian army. The horse archers have to give ground under punishing arrow volleys as the Kartvelian ranks close by. Thousands of horse archers fall by this time.

The battle goes unexpectedly south for King Bonron. This made the steppen king to inevitably commit his light infantry units to engage the Kartvelian levies. The dismounted Aorsoi tribesmen fight valiantly but they are outnumbered significantly and cannot hold for long. Meanwhile, the highlanders’ left wing advances and scatters the Aorsoi right wing, with Manishtushu chasing away King Bornon.

Pharnavaz brings the right wing and does the same way to Aorsoi left wing. He and his infantry contingents surround and destroy the Aorsoi infantry. The remainder of Aorsoi horsemen realizes their kings’ absence and selfishly withdraw leaving the helpless infantrymen to be either slain or taken prisoners.

Thousands of Aorsoi are killed in the battle. The riderless horses roam free on the plain with countless corpses scattered across and the soil is stained red with blood. The Aorsoi threat is crushed utterly. The remainder flees into the mountains, which the Kartvelians pursue. But King Pharnavaz do not waste time with them. Leaving some men to block the few passages out of the highlands, he moves north into the steppes.

Subjugation of Armavir and Campaign against Aorsoi tribe (168 -170 AE)

Last edited by Paladin94610; November 20, 2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Default Re: Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR] [November 19, Update]

An exciting battle with brilliant screenshots! Your reporting and images make the action easy to follow and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing what King Pharnavaz will do next, in his journey north. I imagine that it will be challenging to fight the horse archer-based armies of the steppe factions - fortunately, it appears from this battle that Pharnavaz has a way to counter them.

Default Re: Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR] [November 19, Update]

Character Cast

Bonron: King of the Aorsoi steppe people
    Aratos: King of the Bosporans

Episode 5: Grass Roots Do Not Catch Fire

I can imagine the military prowess of our people from the words of the old man. And I am really into his vivid storytelling.
    I say, “Well, this looks pretty interesting, old man. You have not tell me your name yet.”
    Old Man: “I served in the royal army as a cavalryman. I worked as a chronicler at the royal office in Antioch when the age catches me. But now I’m a retired old man telling silly stories. Uh!”
    Narrator: “No... Of course not. Your stories are far from the ridiculed, in fact they are the most inspiring, more than anything I learn from history lessons in my youth. Please tell me more.”
    Old Man: “I used to live in Antioch. But my house was destroyed the last year in that great fire last few years ago. Now I am homeless, spending my pension meticulously and moving from town to town.”
    Narrator: “I’m going out into the steppes for business. Since you have been a great warrior, I know you will fit definitely in my caravan guard as head of the guard and your martial expertise suit very well here. I guess you may be old to be in combat but I need someone to train my caravan guardsmen. They are fresh recruits from Persia and Armenia. The steppes is wild and bandits are a usual threat outside the empire’s borders. So please would you take my offer sir? And most of all, I want to admit that I’m eager to learn more about the past of our kingdom”.
    The old man goes silent for a moment. And then he nods and smiles. He says, “I’m old, Revaz. But I can still make the softest of men to be as hard as a diamond and as fierce as a wolf. There is a lot you can learn my son. I have some manuscribed chronicles that survived from fire. You can take reference for the stories I tell.”
    Narrator: “Let us consider this done. Tomorrow I am setting out to Samandar again. By the way, you have not told me your name yet.”
    With some mutual understanding exchanged between us after this initially hot headed conversation, he seems to be quite relax now. He chuckles and says “My name is Adarmard”.
    “I am Revaz.” I reply back. The crowd is getting thin as the evening passes. And we departed and get back to our rooms.
    The next day, I find Adarmard on the saddle, waiting for me out in the courtyard. I have had my workers prepare oxen and carts since early morning and the caravan is ready to set out. Both of us rides towards the head of caravan to lead the way. We ride in silent, all the way on the dirt road winding down the hill from the tavern with many loops and turns. As the first light comes up on the horizon and the mist begins to clear. Only then Adarmard utters a word. “Have you seen the steppes beyond Samandar, Revaz?” “I have been to Scythia and the plains of Olbia but not the steppes beyond Samandar” “Well, these are the great seas of grass and inhabited by hardy people who do not live in one place for long. These men are very tough and resilient and fiercely conserve their way of life. There is a saying that it would take a great draught if you ever want to set the steppes on fire!”. And so, Adarmard continues the amazing story of King Pharnavaz.
    171 AE, Kartvelian army crosses Terek River this time and it is the first time, a civilized host step foot on the steppes. The countryside is barren, with abandoned camps scattered across the plains, which had been hastily left as the tribal contingents horse archers had rallied towards the muster point. There are only some loose flocks of sheep and goat that occupy them now. The army marches on towards north. Two days later, the Aorsoi’s only urbanized settlement, Samandar comes into sight. The Samandarans observes our movements since we cross the river. And they have been preparing for battle. This last remnant of Aorsoi forces fields nearly eleven thousands men; including 1,200 horse archers.

Battle of Ardhan, 171AE

Aorsoi performs even worse than they have on the Ardhan soil due to the lack of horse archers. Its light infantry contingents falls on the weight of Kartvelian onslaught. Their town garrison is humiliatingly defeated.

The steppes is an arid land and scarce in resources to be held and subdued. Moreover these steppe tribes are fierce freedom fighters. It is in the wisdom of our king, of how to leave the eastern steppes now under his iron fist. We expects him to kill their warriors and take women and children into slavery and to burn their camps. But to our and his comtemporaries’ surprise, King Pharnavaz decides to restore a nomadic state which is friendly towards the Caucasians. And I doubt that his conquests make him a great king more so than his fair and compassionate character. A war torn people may be filled with vengeance and thirst of blood. But if they have taken it too much already, King Pharnavaz will bet inhesitantly if they thrist for peace and prosperity at least for some moment of their lives. And indeed they are.

And so as the story goes, the historical pacification of the steppes is on its way. Together with the repressed tribes along the Volga river, the dominant Aorsoi tribes coalesce other tribes into a confederation with an elected king or khagan. The new Aorsoi confederate shares trade routes with Kartli and they gain access to the goods of the civilized world without raiding and conquering. Meanwhile they are obliged to help us in the war against Armenians. With Samandar stabilized under new lordship, King Pharnavaz returns to Ardhan and rendezvous with Manishtushu.

Meanwhile to the northern coast of Pontic Sea, the kingdom of Bosporus is a strong Greek state. Started out as a small city-state of Panticapaeum at the Pontic Bosporus, the citizens are terrorized by nomad raids. But since half a century ago, the colonists have fought back, gradually taking lands from Royal Scythia. The steppe kingdoms of Scythia and Iazyges attacked the Bosporans to thwart the rising Greek dominance in the region. But this alliance was late because Bosporans had the best commander in their history. Their king, Spartocus, was a ruthless and cunning commander. In that crucial battle against steppe people, he sacrificed one of his phalanx contingents (around one thousand men) under command of a rival landlord. It was a cunning plan to draw Scythians into a bait. Since Scythians themselves are masters of baits they are cautious in executing their moves.
    When the steppe warriors hunted down that scattered phalanx so effortlessly that by the time they see a few hundreds of Bosporan cavalry on a hill at the horizon, they were already eager to follow. Soon they realized too late that they had been drawn into a bait. The hunters becomes the hunted for the first time. King Spartocus turned a clumpsy phalanx which would be devastated by cavalry charges from all sides, into two tightly packed square formations with archers in the middle, and supported by peltasts and heavy cavalry on the outside.

He turned a battle to his favor, which could possibly become a bloody defeat, and emerge victorious over the steppe alliance. And he was decisive in deciding the fate of the defeated. He slew several steppe commanders that he captured which demoralized the steppe people. From that day onwards, Hellenic armies earned both respect and disgust from the steppe tribes. His sons continued to beat the Scythians and even carved out territories in Maoitia and conquered Sindi people and built a colonial town of Phanagoreia. They laid down plans for a large scale invasion of the steppes for future.

With gold and silver flowing over their coffers, the Bosporans begin to set their eyes on the steppe people for territorial expansion. In 172 AE, King Aratos, grandson of Spartocus, invades Siraces and subsequently declares war on Aorsoi. And this is where our kingdom is dragged into the conflict. In the same time, Colchis who is also fighting the Bosporans in Sindike, sends emissaries to Mtskheta to discuss an alliance pact. Now that our eastern border with Colchis is secure, King Pharnavaz abandons his winter camp on the northern edge of Caucasus mountains and hastily turn north, and to take the initiative against the Bosporans in a race for the control of steppes.

Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Default Re: Pride of the Kartli [DeI - Kartli AAR] [November 26, Update]

Great chapter, with impressive images and well-executed descriptions of the 'great seas of grass' and the military action. I enjoyed the way that you introduce the great Bosporan general, Spartocus, before King Pharnavaz encounters the Bosporans. I look forward to seeing what will happen in the competition for control of the steppes.

I also like the way that you add the detail that Spartocus sacrificed a phalanx contingent under a rival landlord - I wonder whether you are using the new Power & Politics patch and, if so, if this event was linked to the new political system.