Thread: Faction Relations Bug?

Default Faction Relations Bug?

Hey everyone!

Let me preface by saying 2.3 is incredible, haven't had this much fun in a strategy game in a long time. Thank you all for pouring your heart into teaching history in an incredibly fun way!

There is something fishy going on with my EB2, however. I am permanently stuck at "Distrustful" relations with every single faction...

Even when I do a mission for the Baselius (I'm Baktria), which rockets relations to Good, the next turn it is back down to Distrustful.

This is on top of having a Trustworthy reputation...unless this mechanic is intended, something isn't right.

This doesn't only affect Baktria, I played Aurenoi and Pergamon for a bit and they had the exact same issue.

Anyone else having similar issues? Or is this just how it is now and I missed the memo?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sincerely,
    Jimalim

Default Re: Faction Relations Bug?

I'm assuming you're referring to the inner workings of the descr_faction_standing.txt? That one is a mystery to me, I know there were some glaring bugs in it we fixed a while back, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are still issues with it.

What campaign difficulty are you playing on? That has an impact:

Code:
    ; Adjust the AI relationships towards each faction based on difficulty level (AI factions have normal difficulty)
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger 0092_Update_Easy_Difficulty
        WhenToTest FactionTurnStart

Condition CampaignDifficulty = easy

FactionStanding exclude_factions { } normalise 1.0 50

Trigger 0093_Update_Normal_Difficulty

Condition CampaignDifficulty = medium

FactionStanding exclude_factions { } normalise -0.5 50

Trigger 0094_Update_Hard_Difficulty

Condition CampaignDifficulty = hard

Trigger 0095_Update_Very_Hard_Difficulty

Condition CampaignDifficulty = very_hard

That's no bug but intended, I'd assume.
    In 2.2r it was the very same for all factions, except “reasonable“ instead of “distrustful“.
    I can only speculate about the reasons, though.
    Perhaps z3n can enlighten us? 😊

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

@Quintus I am playing on Hard campaign / Medium battles for all 3 of the campaigns I'm experiencing this faction relations trap.

I've been having the same in my Pontos campaign, Normal/Normal difficulty. It seemed like the baseline for diplomacy was moved to Distrustful rather than Reasonable, but it also seems a bit harder to make things trend away from it, and relations trend upwards weirdly fast too. Perhaps there's something spooky going on.

z3n thought he'd removed that particular section, so that looks like it's going to go.

@Quintus Thanks to you and z3n for being so quick to tackle this issue, looking forward to the fix!

I've noticed the same thing with my Saka game. I was on H/M difficulty as well.