Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Basic Guide, EB 2.3] Baktria

Default Re: [Basic Guide, EB 2.3] Baktria

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    My question is: how can you get the Metropolis in Baktria in 2.35, now that you can't build a helcol_three there anymore? Is the helcol_ref locked behind the thorax reform or do I need Baktria to be a huge city? Because with only a helcol_two it's gonna take decades for Baktria to get that metropolis, even with a near-max influence governor.
    The helcol_ref will become available there after the ThorakitaiReform.

Thanks for the speedy response!

Hello,
    I think the faster way to get his own colonists is to get 3 poleis. Get 1 metropolis in Baktria, in my opinion, is longer.
    In 2.35, if no mistaken, you get 3 colonists from Seleukia. When you get it, stop give money to Seleukia. Then, build helcol_one in Marakanda and Oskobara + build minor polis in Marakanda.
    Now, wait for 49% hellenic culture and upgrade these both minor poleis to poleis.
    With Baktria, you have 3 poleis. So, now, you get your own colonists !
    Do you agree with my tactic ? ��

Quote Originally Posted by bebert_45 View Post
    In 2.35, if no mistaken, you get 3 colonists from Seleukia. When you get it, stop give money to Seleukia. Then, build helcol_one in Marakanda and Oskobara + build minor polis in Marakanda.
    Now, wait for 49% hellenic culture and upgrade these both minor poleis to poleis.
    But there isn't minor polis at Oskabara. And you need another colony point to build one.

Also the hel_col one convert only until 30%.

So with this tactic, you will :
    - need others colony points, to build helcol_two and two minor polis
    - lose the recruitment potential of the foreign colony in Marakanda and Oskabara, particularly the pantodapoi phalangitai (your only phalangists)
    - be at war with the Arche Seleukeia to early

It will be long, but I prefers spend my colonists to upgrade the colony at Baktra and build hellenistic colonies at Kapisha to have access to the usefull indogreek units.

Yes, you are right, there is no minor polis in Oskabara.
    However, you start with 35% hellen culture in this city. So it Will be faster to convert to 49% than Marakanda which start with 25%
    Si I thank it's better to build helcol_one in Marakanda and minor polis in Marakanda and minor polis and Oskabara.
    I will try and will tell you how many turn i spend for getting my own colonist
    In my last game, I needed 250 turns for building metropolis in Baktria. Because you cant build helcol_three. You can build helcol_ref, but it appears turn 205...

I think you can play without phalangists. Hoplitais age good enough. Take care the phalangistes you get at the beginning ��

But at war with Seleukia early isn't not problem if you are allied with Indiana, saka and pahlava.

I spent a ton of time playing Baktria. It is a great campaign. Yet I am getting frustrated because it seems to me that the Hellenic military colonies and Hellenic polises are not working properly. If anyone can give some advice or shed light on the mechanics, I would be very grateful.

Here is the case:

1. I am independent and in the period 220-210 BC. I control the former Saka territories as well as Bukharak, Alex Margiane and Alex Paropa. I have three 2tier Hellenic poleis in Baktra, Marakanda and Oskobara.

2. I can build a Hellenic military colony in Shahr - at the eastern edge of the map. But this military colony would give ZERO military units. This really defeats the point of a military colony.

3. I just took Bukharak from AS. They had built a Helenic military colony there. So, surprise, surprise - this military colony does not provide any military units too.

4. The 2nd tier Hellenic Polis in Marakanda provides just two military units - basic skirmisher and Medium cavalry. It used to provide a hoplite, but after the second Hellenic reform it stopped. If I build a Hellenic polis in Alex Margiane - the available units would be the same. In Alex Eschate the polis would give just three low level units.

Am I doing something wrong mechanics-wise? Why so few and low level Hellenic units. It doesnt make sense for a Hellenic faction.

Cheers!

There are places that provide no units, because they're too far from the places where Hellenic colonists want to be. It is impossible to stop them being built in these places at the first tier, because of the way buildings are coded, but they shouldn't be upgrade-able.

Basically as the player, if you can't see any units offered on the building browser, don't waste your colony points building a helcol there.

There are few Hellenic units because you're nowhere near places Greeks (or Hellenised Iranians and Anatolians) are. They don't want to live on the steppe, far from the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The helcol_ref will become available there after the ThorakitaiReform.
    So the intended way for Baktria in 2.35 is:

1) Finish the missions, earn your 6 colonists

2) Upgrade to hel_col_two in Baktria

OPTIONAL 2a) Spent 4 of your remaining 5 colonist points on other provinces

3) Wait for the Thorakitai reform to trigger (c. 220 B.C.)

4) Build helcol_ref and wait until it conversion reaches 70 per cent Hellen

Questions:

Do I need a helcol_three to build the reformed one? In that case I would need to save one colonist more.

Also is there a way to display the colonist counter somehow?

Side note:
    I see that the building browser shows the hel_col three, although there are virtually no troops available, only one artillery unit. Is this intentional?

No, you do not need a helcol_three before you can build a helcol_ref. The first is limited in where it can be built at all, the helcol_ref is an alternative in most places.

There's no way to display the colonist counter, no. You only know they are available from colonist-requiring buildings appearing in the building browser.

The building browser is showing something that's impossible to construct there. You can't build a helcol_three in Baktria.

There's no way to display the colonist counter, no.
    Is that number stored anywhere we, as players, can access?

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    Is that number stored anywhere we, as players, can access?
    No, it is counted invisibly by the script itself.

There is a somewhat kludgy way to do this.

1. Save your game.
    2. Open building the building queue for a city that is eligible to build a Minor Hellenistic Polis or a military colony.
    3. Add either building to the building queue to use a colony point.
    4. Remove building from queue (colony point is lost).
    5. Repeat until building no longer shows up as eligible to build, counting as you go.

You can now reload your saved game knowing how many points you have available.

Hope this helps,
    Caymus

I have a question of Level 3 military colonies (Settler Cities). Why building this level in the town of Baktra provides only two siege unit types and eliminates all other units provided by previous level military settler colonies? This is the information I get for the Settler City from the city building tab. Seems odd to me - typically higher level buildings add to the units offered by previous levels.

Quote Originally Posted by nickygg View Post
    I have a question of Level 3 military colonies (Settler Cities). Why building this level in the town of Baktra provides only two siege unit types and eliminates all other units provided by previous level military settler colonies? This is the information I get for the Settler City from the city building tab. Seems odd to me - typically higher level buildings add to the units offered by previous levels.
    I think its probably because you can't build those in Baktria. You have to get reformed ones.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Quote Originally Posted by nickygg View Post
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    I think its probably because you can't build those in Baktria. You have to get reformed ones.
    You can't build a level 3 colony there, so it's only showing the universal units that appear anywhere.

Thank you!

Hi, is the advice given in the OP still valid as of 2.35 3.5? I mean, from what I understand the available colony points are:
    -3 for capturing A. Eschate
    -1 for upgrading the wall in A. Eschate
    -1 for capturing Chach and 1 for Bukhara (same mission).

And, if any of these objectives are met before the relative mission is given, the colony point is lost. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 666 View Post
    Hi, is the advice given in the OP still valid as of 2.35 3.5? I mean, from what I understand the available colony points are:
    -3 for capturing A. Eschate
    -1 for upgrading the wall in A. Eschate
    -1 for capturing Chach and 1 for Bukhara (same mission).

And, if any of these objectives are met before the relative mission is given, the colony point is lost. Right?

• The colony points are still correct as of V2.35A R3.5.
    • You start with depleted recruitment pools for the Hyperchia in Marakandra, no colony building in that settlement (The units that can be recruited from the foreign colony in that settlement is also very different from 2.3, namely, you no longer have access to Pantodapoi Phalangitai in that pool) and your farms are damaged due to Saka raids. So you have to change your initial approach to account for these changes.
    • If any of these objectives are met before the relative mission is given, the colony point is indeed lost and it is lost FOREVER, so do not go for the mission objectives before the mission themselves are given!.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that the increased movement range introduced in 2.35A makes it far easier for you to defend your relatively large starting provinces but it also makes it easier for the Saka to attack you and retreat if you beat them in the field.
    Last edited by realm56; August 19, 2021 at 11:20 PM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Sounds solid, thank you!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I noticed a guide to Indo-Partho realm is there a similar situation for an Indo-greek Kingdom? If certain criteria are met

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast