Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Move Character Command

Default Move Character Command

Hello, everyone. I'm trying to roleplay a Romani campaign.
    I have taken a few cities through force diplomacy. I wanna give them back to Carthage, but, since they are at war with the former owners of the settlements (the Massylii), as soon as I giev them back the Massylii simply take the city back with the army that was previously there.

I wanna move the Massylii armies away, but I can't get the move_character command to work

The character's name is Uksintas of Numidia.

I tried to move him by using the command move_character "Uksintas of_Numidia" 110,112 like it says in this post . It did not work. It says err: character not found
    I also tried other variations, like move_character "Ukintas of Numidia" or move_character Uksintas of Numidia. None of these worked.

I leave you here a link to a SS I took of what I tried. I couldn't link the image direcly here, sorry.

Thanks for in advance for your feeback.

Default Re: Move Character Command

It's case sensitive. The actual family last name is of_numidia with a lower case n. (see mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt) So try:

move_character "Uksintas of_numidia" 110,112

Worked like a charm, myarta. Thank you very much.

How did you know that was the problem, though? Does every character with a "of, de, von, etc" need to be "moved" like this?

Also tried to move a Roman character Manivs Atilivs Balbvs with move_character "Manivs atilivs_balbvs" x,y but it didn't work.

I did look into the descr_strat file, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for?
    Last edited by neo_deus; October 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

You can reference to a character by using the word "this".
    Read the quote for specifics.
    Another simple way to give a character trait is to bring the character out of the city, then highlighting the character card and just type give_trait this <trait name>. It only works when the character is not located in a city or fort.
    The word "this" is a technical term which references to the thing that is currently being selected. It's actually a pointer in memory which gets the current object and it is also a keyword in c++.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_deus View Post
    Worked like a charm, myarta. Thank you very much.

How did you know that was the problem, though? Does every character with a "of, de, von, etc" need to be "moved" like this?

Also tried to move a Roman character Manivs Atilivs Balbvs with move_character "Manivs atilivs_balbvs" x,y but it didn't work.

I did look into the descr_strat file, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for?

Each character has two names: a first name and a last name. Sometimes that last name is empty and just the first name is enough. Additionally, characters can earn what is called an epithet, e.g. "Africanus" or for spies "the Deceiving". This hides their true last name and makes it harder to remember the right code name for them for use with the commands. Unfortunately, Romans often have three names, so there is no way to have the full name of a character be the code name. Instead, the gens system is implemented using epithets on traits. So Manivs Attivs Balbvs actually has a code name of "Romanvs" but it's overwritten for display purposes by his trait Gens Attivs which applies the Attivs Balbvs epithet. So to reference him, you would need "Manivs Romanvs". The trouble with that is if there are more than one Manivs characters, you may only be able to address one and not the other. For further fun, there are unique versions of each first name in code that appear the same. For example, if you see a Captain Qvintvs, you might have to try "Captain Qvintvs" or "Captain QvintvsA" or "Captain QvintvsB" all the way up to K or so. This is something set by the team in order to control the probability of certain names appearing by giving them multiple entries in the names file. This messes with characters, though, because, for example, you can have a character born who is actually "ManivsB Romanvs" and that term would work. But, once you've saved your game, it seems to flatten out the variants and now he becomes just regular 'Manivs Romanvs'.

e.g. at the start of a Roman game, you have Manivs Cvrivs Dentatvs ("Manivs Romanvs") and Manivs Valerivs Maximvs ("ManivsA Romanvs"). As long as you don't load from a save, you can move them separately with Manivs and ManivsA. But once you reload your game from a save, then the A gets dropped and you can only use "Manivs Romanvs", and it will only refer to one of them. Probably Dentatvs. And then you can't address the other except by "this" as z3n says, which works in at least some of the situations. This is all moot if "this" works for moving/resetting and my mind will be blown

For descr_strat, this is where I get the info. For example, see line 2427 or so:

Code:
    character       Manivs Romanvs, named character, male, leader, age 65, x 128, y 163
    vs

Code:
    character       ManivsA Romanvs, named character, male, heir, age 40, x 143, y 160, label romanheir1

I searched for Numidia (not case sensitive) and eventually found the line you needed:

Code:
    character       Iarbas of_numidia, named character, male, age 49, x 103, y 112
    Utsinkas wasn't in there, because descr_strat.txt describes the state of the game at its start, but it showed me the exact spelling of the faction last name for generals for Numidia had the lower case n.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    You can reference to a character by using the word "this".

The word "this" is a technical term which references to the thing that is currently being selected. It's actually a pointer in memory which gets the current object and it is also a keyword in c++.

Does "this" work for move_character? I thought I had tried it long ago, figured it didn't work, and gave up from there. If it does work, whoops, what a time saver! I use it for ancillaries/traits currently. I'll try it next time I'm at home.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

It depends on if the code in the exe expects to see the keyword used, I wouldn't know as I've never been big into using console commands.

All the characters are objects though; so it'd just be a matter of whether the code accepts it.

It definitely works for give_trait/remove_trait and the give_ancillary/remove_ancillary from what I remember.
    Last edited by z3n; October 27, 2017 at 02:00 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Originally Posted by z3n You can reference to a character by using the word "this".

Does "this" work for move_character? I thought I had tried it long ago, figured it didn't work, and gave up from there. If it does work, whoops, what a time saver! I use it for ancillaries/traits currently. I'll try it next time I'm at home
    I also read that the this wont work for the move_character cmd, but I'm definitely trying it. Would be prfect.

Man, looks like it's very complicated to move romans. I actually only tried to move Balbvs to see if I could do it. I don't think I'll need to move my armies. But diplomats, yes. I recruited a bunch of them and suddenly I'm paying 10k each turn in wages, wich is pretty much ruining me.
    Last edited by neo_deus; October 27, 2017 at 05:26 PM.

Yeah, you only need a few, really. One near Carthage, one in Greece, one in Cisalpina, one in northeast Illyria.

It's complicated but once you figure it out (I think 'this' doesn't work, unfortunately), you can usually move any character once you're used to the layout. If you have two generals named Marcvs Romanvs and it's moving the wrong one, just use character_reset "Marcvs Romanvs" to give him movement points, and then go join those two generals together. Then there should only be one target and you can move the both of them together, then separate them and move the "visiting" one back. But even that is super rare and most of the time you're fine.

Are you doing a lot of general movement, though? That sounds like it's going to get extremely tedious. Usually I just get a few Liburnes fleets from the Adriatic around for shuffling personnel and move the bodyguards alone, over the Med, when people need to be moved for the Cursus or other jobs. Moving one with the console is a rare event in case something weird happened.

No, not a lot. What I want to do (for now) is move some Massylii armies away from the cities I took from them through force diplomacy. Also I want to move some Carthaginian armies closer to Carthage, so they can defend Carthage from the constant Massylii attacks. That kind of thing. I don't plan on using move_char myself, except on diplomats. If I manage to

I am having mixed results using the command. I have managed to move some characters, but not others. I think I may be missing a couple of last names like of numidia or Romanvs. However, I also had troubles moving some captains.

I took another look at descr_strat and searched for FM of several factions. I came up with some interesting results Some factions have all their FMs with the same last name, like Carthage, Rome, the Lusotanae or Makedon

Code:
    character    Adonibaal ofcarthago, named character
    character    Manivs Romanvs, named character
    character    Antigonos Antigonides, named character
    character    Tanginos theLusitanian, named character

However, for KH or Ptlemaioi, for example, I came up with several different "last names".

Code:
    ; City: Alexandreia; Region: Delta Neilou
    ;====================
    character    PtolemaiosA Ptolemaiou, named character

; City: Salamis
    ; Region: Kypros
    ;====================
    character    Kallikrates Boiskou, named character
    I don't quite understand this, but might it have to do with some factions having FMs with more than 2 names? Them being the ones with the standarized last names and everyone else is the ones without?

Characters have two different names. The data name is the one in the descr_strat and is the one the console_commands point at. The display name that you can see in the game is basically irrelevant; it might be the same as the data name, but it might not.

So I might be able to move a character because I have the right name, but I might not be able to move another because I don't have the right name?

Tiro

Hello,

I am playing campaign KH 2.3.
    In my experience the "joker" "this" in console commands doesnt work with character_reset or move_character, you need to use the character name instead. Other console commands like give or remove_ancillary or give or remove_trait accept "this" as "joker" for the targeted FM or agent( outside a settement and in command of stack if more than 2 units present for FM, i never tried to use those commands with 2 agents in same location).

In the campaign i am playing atm:

I can move admirals and captains with:
    move_character "Admiral Namewhateverfirstlettercapital" x, y or character_reset "Admiral Namewhateverfirstlettercapital", same with captains using Captain instead Admiral.

My agents can have:
    +Just Name, i can move or reset them with character_reset "Namewithfirstletttercapital"
    +Name + Surname i can move them or reset them with move_character "Namewithfirstlettercapital Surnamewithfirstlettercapital" x, y.
    +Name + Surname + Somethingelse ( i dont know if second Surname, geographical origing, "family name".. whatever) i can move or reset them with character_reset "Namewithfirstlettercapital Surnamewithfirstlettercapital" ( kinda "ignoring" the 2nd surname ).

FM can have:
    + name, ie Areus my FL, this one was tricky, i needed to check ...Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt, there i saw AreusA Agiades. The command for this one is: character_reset "Areus Agiades". With Kallippos , my heir, same way, in the descr_strat.txt his name is Kallippos Eleusinios and console command working is character_reset "Kallippos Eleusinios". These both are with me since turn 0. I have troubles moving Isidoros though, a husband of one of the girls of the family i got later . He has not surname of any kind and he doesnt appear in descr_strat.txt. And the only name in ....Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\descr_names.txt is Isidoros ( there is no IsidorosA, IsidorosB or anything like that, there are more than one Isidoros, but in different factions each one) I havent been able to move or reset him.
    + Name + Surname. I can move or reset them like i do with agents.
    character_reset "Agathostratos Rhodios" father of the other 2. Of course name of that one is Agathostratos Rhodios.
    character_reset "Neikarchos Rhodios"
    character_reset "Philisstes Rhodios"
    + Then i have some with Name + Surname + 2nd Surname ( or whatever)
    For instance i have some Name + Surname + Attikos, those i can move or reset with character_reset "Name Surname" ignoring the Attikos part.
    In same way i have others Name + Surname + Lakedaimonios , these i can move or reset too with character_reset "Name Surname" ignoring this time the Lakedaimonios part.

It is true that, so far, none of my FM have a nickname like "The just" or anything like that.
    I havent played any faction yet that uses the of_something, von_something or anything like that.

I "needed" to move getai FL at some point, he was "disturbing" me. In game name was Razas Zalmodegikos ( as i saw his name displayed), i had to check ...Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt to find out he was Zalmodegikos perHelis ( it seems like "Razas" is a tittle) so the command to move him was move_character "Zalmodegikos perHelis" x, y.

So... it is "mix" of things what you need to do when trying to move or reset a character, i cant say whats the "rule" thats 100% accurate. Sometimes you need to check ..Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt others ....Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\descr_names.txt, then "play" with tittles or nicknames ( add or remove them), and when more than a word in name... dunno.. sometimes ignore the third one, sometimes adding a character_reset "Name 2ndname(usually in lower case)_3rdName(usually first letter capital)" between 2nd and 3rd... There are many combinations. Not sure either if the version of your MTW 2 matters. For instance i am using a retail spanish gold CD copy and i have fount some differences with config files between the ones i use and the ones other people talking in forum shows. It comes to my mind the descr_shortcuts.txt i need to edit and put in....\Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\text to be able to open console ( in my game that key is "hidden" and doesnt appear in options--->keyboard, you need to edit the file and add it to the right directory (i fount the descr_shortcuts.txt i am using surfing these forums in another mod , the Third Age Total War iirc)). Dunno if it has any impact when talking about console commands.
    All in all...
    So I might be able to move a character because I have the right name, but I might not be able to move another because I don't have the right name?
    I am afraid you are right.

I hope you find usefull some of the "tricks" i posted.

Regards:

melvidh
    Last edited by melvidh; October 27, 2017 at 10:50 PM.

Right. I tried to explain in my post how you can find out the data name of each character when possible. If you have specific ones you can't find the name of, let me know which and I can try to figure it out / show you how to do it.

The name you see on screen in the game is not necessarily their data name, which is the only one that counts. The only reliable source at the start of the game is the descr_strat. After that, you need to be familiar with the descr_names, which is the source of all the valid names for that faction.

The name you see on screen in the game is not necessarily their data name, which is the only one that counts. The only reliable source at the start of the game is the descr_strat. After that, you need to be familiar with the descr_names, which is the source of all the valid names for that faction.
    But not even their 1st names, Quintus?
    I thought the "place holders" like Romanvs or Antigonides were a sort of marker or something so some factions could have more than 2 names, even though they really don't. Am I being clear here or am I sounding confusing?
    Is what I'm saying true in some way or am I completely off?

Bear in mind that if more than 1 character has the name you are looking for, then the console command won't work. Sadly every named character (captains, spies, etc...) counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    Bear in mind that if more than 1 character has the name you are looking for, then the console command won't work. Sadly every named character (captains, spies, etc...) counts.
    It's quite rare that you get two characters with the same data name - not least because it can cause crashes and isn't supposed to happen. That's why to allow multiple display instances of Alexandros, for example, we have data names of Alexandros, AlexandrosA, AlexandrosB and AlexandrosC. All display the same - you see Alexandros - but their data names, used by the engine are different.

With the Romans, who only have first names effectively (all named characters have the same surname "Romanvs" and their nomen and cognomen are triggered by traits), they all have A-H for most of their data names, though sometimes you do get duplications. For reasons that are beyond me, the Romans are the worst for having invalid data names you can't target with the console.

Tiro

Hello,

I am playing KH campaign 2.3 H/M.
    I bought Dardanion city from Getai and i have put there an ally government and recruited a general. Hes name is Phinakos Dardanos.
    I am trying to use the console comand reset_character with him and i havent had luck so far.
    Those are the ones i tried
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

character_reset "Phinakos Dardanos" = character not fount
    The comand with the following names:
    "Phinakos"
    "PhinakosA"
    "PhinakosB"
    "PhinakosC"
    Same previous 3 + surname "PhinakosX Dardanos"
    "Phinakos_Dardanos"
    "Phinakos ofkh_Dardanos"
    "Phinakos Dardanos_ofkh"
    "Phinakos ofkh Dardanos"
    "Phinakos Dardanos ofkh"
    Phinakos
    Phinakos Dardanos
    Phinakos ofkh Dardanos
    Phinakos Dardanos ofkh
    Phinakos ofkh_Dardanos
    Phinakos Dardanos_ofkh

None of them worked. I saw in descr_names.txt the name Phinakos exists for Kh, Epeiros and Slave factions.

Any console command "guru" arround able to find out the combo to reset/move this dude?

Regards:
    melvidh

PD: As i side note i realiced there are 2 equal surnames Agiades in Kh surnames list, it is listed twice. I dont know if it has any importance.

Note the "surname" for Client Rulers is an epithet from their trait, not an actual name (similar to how Roman nomen/cognomen work). So Phinakos is his name.

What are you trying to do to him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast