Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Iulus and Mergus, 79 BCE

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Iulus and Mergus, 79 BCE

Gaius gave a winning smile "My everlasting thanks to you, Consul."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

(Brutus has nothing to say on the other matters, so treat this as a separate debate/discussion rather than an erratic interruption)

On a different day early in the year, Marcus Junius Brutus, one of the foremost tribunes of the people (alongside one Lepidus), came onto the senate floor with a few rolled-up scrolls carefully carried in a bag of fur and leather which was slung over his shoulder. Requesting to speak and open a new discussion for the day and eager to be the first to tackle this issue with his own idea, he moves to take the position of an orator and pulls out of the parchments for referencing.

"Good conscript fathers, I, Marcus Junius Brutus, come before you today to speak on a particular matter - a recurring problem that we and our predecessors deal and have dealt with nearly every few years. I hope to provide an easy and simple respite until the next time the consequences of Cere's and Juno's blessings come calling."

The founder and tyrannicide's descendant then paused to glance at his parchment - ever so briefly. He was no imposing figure, short and slight, but he seemed honest and contemplative, and his manner of posture and dress suggested he was a man of proper virtue. Still, only so much could be gleaned from observing a man from many feet away.

"It is my understanding - and all of ours' understanding, to be clear -" he corrected smoothly, affording the senators more respect than they often gave each other of late, "that there is much murmuring of and desire for the distribution of land, via those properties all over our inner sea which we consider to be of public control - that is, of republican dictation. It would be beneficial to remove some of the burden from the grain dole, and my latest year away from Roma has given me some first-hand suggestions on where and how to shift this burden of life."

Brutus paused again to wonder if he was being too formal, but continued nonetheless, looking over his scroll before continuing further.

"To the august assembly, I present the following legislative movement for your approval: the establishment of a new colony, taken from reorganized public land where abuses have taken place, or else in provincial lands where direct attention will reveal fertile opportunity for growing the ager publicus."

A clear statement that the tribune was seeking the curia's approval before taking it to the assemblies for actual legislation.

"I suggest the following locations which these conditions apply to: a Roman colony in Capua in Campania, which has been in disestablishment since before Carthage's destructuon under a neglected public land network of illegal deals and deeds; the city of Pella in Macedonia still lies in ruins from the earthquakes of eleven years ago, and would make a good place for a new Latin or Roman colony; the ruins of Carthage have previously held a colony, but it was disestablished for political reasons... re-establishment of a colonia here would be advantageous for the province of Africa. Finally, there is much fertile land in the public control in Etruria, especially along the river Arnus (Arno)."

Brutus rolled up the scroll and placed it in his bag, but there were others in it - presumably to further extrapolate or defend his proposal if needed. He nodded and gestured with a free hand.

"Conscript fathers, I hope that I have given thee enough of an account of the situation and the recommended solution I have drawn up for the people."
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; October 27, 2017 at 03:58 AM.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

The senate chamber was awash in morning light. Dew still settled on the grass outside, and a slight cross breeze flowed the chamber. Antonius having arrived early to bring forth his motion so he could depart. Fellow senators, I have brought forth my intention to set sail. This morning the last of my fleet was launched in the harbor. The Roman Navy stands ready to bring the might of our fleet upon Mithradites. I mean to depart with haste and seek this assemblies approval so I may go with the will of Rome behind me.

The Roman Navy consists of:
    1 Hexareme
    20 Quinqueremes
    50 Triremes
    2400 Marines
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Callidus stood as soon as Brutus had finished speaking "It would be an honor to sponsor such a bill, Brutus. I commend you on your devotion to the People, and the work you have done thus far to advance this proposal. I believe the tribune is quite right in his assessment. The urban poor have grown to unmanageable sizes, straining our urban infrastructure and our resources. The cause of this is the pressure on smaller landowners in Italy being bought out and squeezed off their land by large operators, many of which are assembled here today. The sponsorship of colonies within rich areas in the Republic is a noble mission, and one that I endorse wholeheartedly."

------

The Censor raised an eyebrow. "Antonius, I must ask, is your intention to bring a fleet east to place under the command of Valerius Messalla, who is fighting Mithridates?"

Mergus rises from his curule chair. "I must agree with the censor, the tribune's proposal is a effective resolution to the issue presented to this august body by the people this year."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Iulus almost shifted uncomfortably, knowing well he was guilty of pilfering land.

"The Tribune's proposal has an excellent merit. I am glad to see a man of worth holding the Tribunate. I will, along with the Censor, back this bill. Let there now be a vote, unless there are any objections?"

-----

"If a fleet is going to war, it, and its admiral, will be placed directly under the command of Proconsul Messala. Jupiter knows I hate the man, but I will not see his campaign jeopardised by random independent commands."

------

"Noble senators, each year our treasury runs drier. It is a situation that must be remedied, lest we go bankrupt. I hereby offer, for the third time, the proposal of a salt tax. I call upon any senators with similar proposals to come forwards."

Citizen

I mean to use the this navy as a means to crush Mithradites fleet, a fleet I may add I have raised, manned, and paid for with my own coin. A fleet I would see protect our trade routes, and keep this city safe from attack. Valerius Messalla commands the Legions and I would not seek to intrude upon his command. What I seek is an autonomous warrant to engage the enemy at sea, to move with haste to protect our interests, and keep the seas clear of threat. This objective cannot be divided by men with different intents, the interest of the legions on land differ from those I hold. I would not sit idly by in harbor for an enemy that may or may not appear, I would bring the fight to him.

Rome must be decisive in action now or face the consequences later.

"So then you mean to place yourself under the command of Messalla?" Sulpicianus asked. Messalla had the command in the east, after all.

"I must agree with my fellow consul. Let us vote on the tribune's proposal at once."

----
    "Perhaps this will suffice for a proposal for a salt tax."
    I. From now and henceforth, the SPQR enacts a salt tax on every salt-works and salt mine in territory governed by the SPQR and its provinces. A fifth of all produced salt will be seized or contributed to the provincial quaestors and publicani.
    II. The fifth of salt will be collected every two months (thus, five times a year) and shipped to Roma where it becomes the direct property of the Aerarium and comes under the direct supervision of the Quaestors and their delegated administrators.
    III. The collected salt will be sold in Roma and in other Italian markets at lower than average prices each year, five times a year.
    IV. The Aerarium in Roma and its Quaestors are the top authority of this tithing, and the provincial quaestors and their publicani will answer to them and the praetors for any misconduct or suspected corruption.
    V. Publicani, to incentivize their collections, will be entitled to keep 15% of all salt they collect on behalf of the state salt tax.
    VI. All saltworks and salt mines wishing to sell, due to the state's forced price drop, will be sold to the state. The publicani will be incentivized to acquire these salt mines at reasonable prices by being offered small shares of the salt mine's future profit under public ownership.
    VII. Publicly owned salt mines then will abide by a reasonable, low price fixed by the SPQR.

"I would also propose a tax on the provinces of perhaps twenty five percent of their estimated value or a set sum to further bolster the treasury so we may have the funds necessary for future wars."

Citizen

Valerius Messalla is commander in the east, and should continue to be so. What I seek is pro-consular power to bring this navy to bear against our enemies in the east.

I do not intend to intrude upon Messalla's expedition into Asia, but to aide it by clearing the threat posed to it by Mithradites fleet. Currently the man holds naval supremacy over the region, if left unchecked this can only spread. I am willing and able to bring the strength of the fleet I have raised against him, I only ask for the power to do so.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 27, 2017 at 12:12 PM.

"That might be best accomplished by simply being under Messalla's command." Gaius added

"Sulpicianus is correct. If you wish to take part in the Asian campaign, then you will report to the Proconsul of Asia with your ships and make yourself available to his campaign."

Citizen

I intend to fall within Messalla's span of control, that is not an issue, I merely ask for the power to hold my command and depart with my ships. With pro-consular power my authority at sea will be assured, and the right appearances will be kept. Sea captains are superstitious and fickle, they would bid it ill if their commander did not hold the Senate, It will also help too ease tensions with any friendly cities we stop at. I move for the senate to act as the the day moves on and I wish to depart with the tides and winds still favorable. I intend to move toward Asia and link up with Messalla to plan our strategy for engaging the Mithradities Fleet.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 27, 2017 at 01:00 PM.

Iulus almost bashed his head off a wall. Instead he glanced at Sulpicianus almost pleadingly, before taking in a gentler tone, as if talking to a child or an imbecile.

"You do not need Proconsular command. Your command is not independent, but under Messala. Therefore, you are simply a Legate in command of a fleet. You have no need for Proconsular power and the Senate has greater issue to deal with. If you wish to join the campaign, take your ships and report to Messala and he will no doubt give you command of his naval forces. "

Citizen

Looking back up at the beaming Iulus, If the senate will not relay powers so be it, I will depart as an Admiral of this Navy to Asia and report to Messalla. Turning he walked out of the chamber to ready his fleet.

Mergus sighs in relief once Antonius had departed. "I suppose now we may resume discussion on the more important issues of the proposed taxation measures and any further discussion of the tribune's colonia proposal to resolve the public outcry for land before we move for a vote on it, with the fleet issue resolved."
    Last edited by Xion; October 27, 2017 at 01:26 PM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Appius Claudius Pulcher, the younger. Had made it into the senate, to his very own surprise. Yet he was happy at 24 he had acquired the right to sit amongst the most powerful Romans and have a voice within the CVRIA. While he stepped into the marvelous building he had taken a moment to familiarize himself. He searched for a friendly face and found one in Sulpicianus(ooc; iirc both chars met and had interaction during the starting event) so he decided to sit next to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    "I must agree with my fellow consul. Let us vote on the tribune's proposal at once."

----
    "Perhaps this will suffice for a proposal for a salt tax."

"I would also propose a tax on the provinces of perhaps twenty five percent of their estimated value or a set sum to further bolster the treasury so we may have the funds necessary for future wars."
    Pulcher rose for the first time. "I second the notion. A steady revenue for the Republics coffer is essential!"

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

"If there is no dissent or disapproval here, I think it will suffice to bring the colonial proposal straight before the people at the assembly for legislation." Brutus explained, looking around to see if he could move forward with the project without obstruction.

"I shall accompany you, Brutus, and lend my support." Gaius replied as he moved to stand. With the issue of the fleet having worked itself out the only thing that remained to be discussed was taxation, and it was not something he cared to be present for.

Iulus stood.

"As a motion has been called and seconded, I hereby move the house to vote."

Lex Faenero
    1. LEX TRIBUTO SALINAE
    I. From now and henceforth, the SPQR enacts a salt tax on every salt-works and salt mine in territory governed by the SPQR and its provinces. A fifth of all produced salt will be seized or contributed to the provincial quaestors and publicani.
    II. The fifth of salt will be collected every two months (thus, five times a year) and shipped to Roma where it becomes the direct property of the Aerarium and comes under the direct supervision of the Quaestors and their delegated administrators.
    III. The collected salt will be sold in Roma and in other Italian markets at lower than average prices each year, five times a year.
    IV. The Aerarium in Roma and its Quaestors are the top authority of this tithing, and the provincial quaestors and their publicani will answer to them and the praetors for any misconduct or suspected corruption.
    V. Publicani, to incentivize their collections, will be entitled to keep 15% of all salt they collect on behalf of the state salt tax.
    VI. All saltworks and salt mines wishing to sell, due to the state's forced price drop, will be sold to the state. The publicani will be incentivized to acquire these salt mines at reasonable prices by being offered small shares of the salt mine's future profit under public ownership.
    VII. Publicly owned salt mines then will abide by a reasonable, low price fixed by the SPQR.

Effect: 1,000 Denarii/year goes into the Aerarium for each sea region the Romans control without contest. Ligurian, Balearic, Tyrrhenian, Sicilian, Adriatic, Ionian, Aegean Seas are controlled by Rome; 7 seas, 7,000 denarii per year.
    Secondary Effect: Possibly forces the private saltworks into state hands; at which point the state will receive 2,000 denarii per sea region, instead of 1,000

2. LEX IULUS TRIBULUM
    I. Each province will pay a fixed amount of denarii annually.
    A. The Pro-Consul of each province holds the responsibility for collecting the tax.
    B. The Proconsul must file a report of all yearly finances upon his return from his province.
    C. Both elected Queastors in Rome will share 50% in the responsibility to transport the collected Tax from the provinces to the Aerarium in Rome.

II. The Aerarium will be the only legal state treasury in the city of Rome.
    A. Each province shall erect an Aerarium from where transport is arranged by the Queastors under their supervision.

3. LEX IULUS AERIUS
    I. The senate will yearly be informed by the serving Queastors how much is in the Aerarium and what the past years expenses were.
    A. At all times the elected Queastors will be held accountable for the financial state of the Republic.
    B. In the case the amount gathered does not reach the determined sum, both queastors will be held liable.
    C. The Aerarium will hold all collected taxes.
    D. The elected Queastors will be accountable for the financial ledger of the Treasury
    E. They must disperse pay to the legions in Italy each year from the Aerarium.
    F. They are responsible to dispersing funds that the Senate designates in laws.

4. LEX IULUS QUAERO
    I. The sitting pro-Consuls of all Roman pro consulates will provide the senate with a report on the wealth their respected provinces contain.
    II. Based on this report the senate will amend Lex Aemilius Tribulum to state what these rates exactly are per province.
    III. All provinces will pay 25% of the tax they are possible to collect

"There is one other matter that I would move to vote. The Corona Civica is the second highest of our military awards and immense in its prestige. I would move that any man who had won this award was fit to sit within this house as a senator."

Lex Corona Civica

I. All winners of the Civic Crown - be it won after this bill or before it - will henceforth be given entry into the Senate as an acknowledgement of their heroism and valour.

Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 28, 2017 at 07:53 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast