Thread: Which faction is more fun for roleplayer - Pergamon or Pontus?

Default Which faction is more fun for roleplayer - Pergamon or Pontus?

Seriously. I can not decide.

I tend to Pergamon, but I like to build big empires and that does not really seem to fit Pergamon.

Default Re: Which faction is more fun for roleplayer - Pergamon or Pontus?

Depends what you're trying to do.

Pergamon suits the "small Hellenic monarchy" style, and should be considered as a Hellenic state with added locals; Pontus meanwhile can do both the "small native monarchy" and the "bring back the empire" style. However, Pontus should really be treated as a native state with added Greeks rather than an actual Greek state.

Basically, how Greek do you want to be?

I would pick Pontos, but it is largely affected by the fact that I haven't played it yet.

This faction has good location and it is composited from old Persian, native and Hellen worlds, which gives you lot of space for roleplaying different scenarios. For example you can play as the last dynasty from old times trying to raise Persian Empire from ashes or you can challenge Romans as Pontos did, but you can win war and conquer Greece and Italy and become a Mediterranean superpower. In both cases, your goal is a large empire. Western where new Hellenistic ways has prevailed, or eastern in old Persian style. Or do both and end it with war between those two.

I had my most fun campaing in the history of TW playing Pontus. I really turtled for a long time, 100 years or so, taking only the necessary provinces to survive; afterwards i started recreating Mithridates Eupators Empire, getting the reform, and a huge variatey of units. It was really fun. There's probably like extra 20 units in that area at least since the last time i played it, so it's probably even more fun now.

Pontus is the obvious answer. Roleplaying with factions that weren't at all expansionist is tough.

The first time I tried playing Pontos (in maybe 2.2g or so), I was very unimpressed. Their economy is more flaccid than soggy cardboard, and their unit selection pre-reformation is underwhelming, especially considering you're surrounding by so many dangerous Greek factions.

In 2.2r, I gave them another shot, thinking I'd lean a bit harder on allied governments. I managed to conquer Pergamon early on, and it allowed me to levy and maintain a proper imperial army, which put me into the position to expand and actually -get- the reformation. It was fairly tough (maybe not as tough as the Saka Rauka early game), but that made it feel way more rewarding.

Granted, enjoying how post-reformation Pontos plays is not necessarily the same as Pontos RP being the most rewarding. However, I do think the challenge of Pontos works hand in hand with the factions theme in order to feel quite rewarding once your campaign has properly gotten going. Although Pergamon has their own reformation to shoot for, in my opinion it is much easier and they are in a clear position to do so.

One thing I would adore is if Pontic family members could be put through the Agoge.