Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

No promises on the local units in Africa yet because I'm not quite there at the moment, but I do plan on having two or more "indigenous" units in South America (taking cues from the Kalina and Amazonians), North America (which will probably be generic enough to fit in Australia too), Canada (Inuit-inspired, which will also probably fill up Siberia), and Sub-Saharan Africa: one melee and one missile. This is to keep regional flair while making up for the fact that there aren't any factions in these regions.

I did have something in mind that would've resembled the Ruga-Ruga in the photo on Wikipedia, using some assets from Falcom's Zimbabweans; the mod that the Zulus come from is open source and the models are well-made. The name would be different though, with one reason being historical and the other being because I would like them to be generic enough to fill as much of the continent as possible. First, I'm going to finish the playable factions.

A preview of the Verlorene Haufen, a German two-handed sword unit. Aside from their equipment, unique European units will be distinguishable by helmet sashes for early tiers and faction-specific headgear in later tiers.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    12th-14th century: The zweihänder didn't exist yet, so they exclusively use the kriegsmesser which wasn't prominent at the time, but more chronologically ambiguous. At the very least, it's certainly much less anachronistic than the zweihänder.

Late 14th to 15th century: The zweihänder was "invented" sometime around this time, so now there's variation between the types of swords used. These guys use distinctive German-style visored sallets while generic guys wear kettles and open sallets.

16th-17th century: Facial hair time. Two ways to interpret it: 1.) they finally grew out beards after aging a few hundred years or 2.) now's the time when beards became fashionable in Europe.

There's still room for one more armour upgrade. I'm thinking of doing something like this for the very end:
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 04, 2018 at 10:40 PM.

Also for convenience's sake I'll place Goryeo-era material here so you don't have to bounce back and forth between here and AUH

And if you were looking for Goryeo unit names:

The Byeolmuban army had six divisions: Yun Gwan's regular army and Armor Guards called Jeonggyugun (정규군, 正規軍) Infantry called Sinbogun (신보군, 神步軍), Cavalry called Sin-gigun (신기군, 神騎軍), an army of Buddhist monks called Hangmagun (항마군, 降魔軍), Supporting troop made of slaves called Yeonhogun (연호군,烟戶軍), and volunteered soldiers made of merchants and ordinary citizens called Jubugunhyeon (주부군현, 州府郡縣).
    Combating troops were divided into Assassin/Spies called Sinbo (신보, 神步), Siege Engineers called Dotang (도탕, 跳蕩), Archers called Gyeonggung (경궁, 梗弓), Builders called Jeongno (정노, 精弩), Ballistic/Cannon gunners called Balhwa (발화, 發火), and special force called Teugibudae (특기부대, 特技部隊). They were to trained and maintain/make weapons & fight with regular army.

Mongol Invasion Era Spearman (probably while as a vassal to Yuan Dynasty)

This set of drawings comes from a Korean user on the Chinese forums

These paintings were Joseon's depiction of the Goryeo troops. So they weren't painted during the Goryeo dynasty, but after.

Also was looking at the Khmer units and looks like they're mainly using Burmese and Siamese assets. Maybe replace them with those SEA kingdoms? TO my knowledge only 1 Khmer unit has been done in other mods and AUH had only a little bit of the Khmer preview up.
    Last edited by IGdood; December 07, 2018 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks for the reference on Goryeo; I'll have it saved for when it's time to churn out their roster. Just out of curiosity, the Jurchens in Shaoding have some Balhae units and I was thinking of having them here as a semi-unique unit for the Jurhens and Koreans. Do you think that would fit?

About the Khmer units: they are using a lot of Siamese assets, at least for the weapons (most of which are semi-placeholders straight from Asia Empires), while the other bits are either from Shaoding, vanilla, or of my own making. The later tiers are straight up Siamese though, since Angkor fell somewhat early into this mod's timeframe. I chose to use Ayutthaya soldiers as armour upgrades to compensate for that fact without having to make things up, but didn't want to include Ayutthaya as a "standalone" faction because it didn't exist in the 13th century which is when this mod begins. It's not a perfect solution because Ayutthaya is going to end up being called Angkor, but that was my reasoning anyway since I'm relying more on armour upgrades rather than new units to depict changing times. Plus, two SEA factions in Dai Viet and Angkor/Ayutthaya is already kind of crowded given the scope of this mod. I definitely want to keep Dai Viet since they act as a kind of barrier between Chinese expansion into SEA and Khmer expansion into China, which was a bit too easy in vanilla Falcom for my liking.

Srivijaya was way too hard for me to model anything for without using pure guesswork for anything aside from levies. The planned Tibetan faction is historically questionable and I mostly tossed them in because they were mentioned in the suggestions thread for Falcom. I don't have any work done on them yet, so I might replace them with someone else.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 07, 2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal.Pigeon View Post
    Thanks for the reference on Goryeo; I'll have it saved for when it's time to churn out their roster. Just out of curiosity, the Jurchens in Shaoding have some Balhae units and I was thinking of having them here as a semi-unique unit for the Jurhens and Koreans. Do you think that would fit?

About the Khmer units: they are using a lot of Siamese assets, at least for the weapons (most of which are semi-placeholders straight from Asia Empires), while the other bits are either from Shaoding, vanilla, or of my own making. The later tiers are straight up Siamese though, since Angkor fell somewhat early into this mod's timeframe. I chose to use Ayutthaya soldiers as armour upgrades to compensate for that fact without having to make things up, but didn't want to include Ayutthaya as a "standalone" faction because it didn't exist in the 13th century which is when this mod begins. It's not a perfect solution because Ayutthaya is going to end up being called Angkor, but that was my reasoning anyway since I'm relying more on armour upgrades rather than new units to depict changing times. Plus, two SEA factions in Dai Viet and Angkor/Ayutthaya is already kind of crowded given the scope of this mod. I definitely want to keep Dai Viet since they act as a kind of barrier between Chinese expansion into SEA and Khmer expansion into China, which was a bit too easy in vanilla Falcom for my liking.

Srivijaya was way too hard for me to model anything for without using pure guesswork for anything aside from levies. The planned Tibetan faction is historically questionable and I mostly tossed them in because they were mentioned in the suggestions thread for Falcom. I don't have any work done on them yet, so I might replace them with someone else.
    I think regional units like those are best used as AOR. Factions/kingdoms too insignificant to be playable but important enough to warrant a unit or two or three (ex: Tibet)

Understandably it's troublesome whenever there's a lack of asset and there's a faction that has a very limited time of relevance in the era of the mod. I appreciate all the hard work. I see where the reasoning is.

It's funny because if it wasn't for M2's model and faction limit I would've done something like your idea but on a more time-spanning scale similar to Empire Earth. Instead of settlements becoming bigger cities there would be an "Age Up" building that would take considerable amounts of money and time to finish. It would change the roster of a faction and grant them units that weren't necessarily better but would fit in with the relevant "age" so to speak.

So if you started off as SPRQ you'd eventually become an Italian City State...etc.

Also came across this. Not sure how helpful it'll be.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...f-asia.542839/
    Last edited by IGdood; December 08, 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks for that, might be useful for one or two AoR units at the end depending on how much space I have left.

The unit limits make me sad too. I would've loved to give each faction a unique roster with unit names in their native language, and of course, all the European units would have faction-specific helmets and equipment to make them look less like clones of one another even if they kind of are. I also wish I could add just a few more factions so Africa and the Americas aren't so bare...

While on the topic of Asia, here's my planned roster so far for Goryeo, although I'm still a long way off of actually putting it together. Some help would be appreciated, especially for names.
    Asterisks are for unique units

-Town Watchmen: Levy infantry armed with a two-handed spear but can't form a spear wall, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan (the reason why they can't use a spear and shield combo)
    -*Sinbogun: Standard spear and shield infantry
    -*Jubugunhyeon: Standard sword/axe and shield infantry
    -*Jeonggyugun: Elite halberdiers that can form a spear wall
    -*Yongho: Elite two-handed axe/polearm shock infantry
    -Levied Hunters: Levied archers that use swords/axes in melee, shared with Song, Dai Viet, and Kamakura
    -*Gyeonggung: Professional archers, uses a sword/axe and shield in melee
    -*Balhae: Professional crossbowmen, representing people from the former Balhae Kingdom that was conquered by the Jurchens and Goryeo
    -*Balhwagun: Hand gunners that use a sword/axe and shield in melee
    -Huojian: Infantry that shoot long-ranged fire arrows and uses a glaive in melee, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan (the reason why they can't use a sword and shield combo)
    -Zhentianlei: Infantry that throw explosive grenades at close range and uses a glaive in melee, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan
    -*Arquebusiers (name needed)
    -Scout Cavalry: Low-tier light cavalry, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan
    -*Singigung: Professional medium cavalry
    -*Byulmuban: Professional cavalry archers
    -*Gaemamusa: Heavy shock cavalry (might need a new name)
    -Ballistae
    -Trebuchets
    -Crouching Tigers: Pretty much the Mangonels from Kingdoms, shared with China, Dai Viet, maybe Angkor/Ayutthaya, and Japan
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -*Hwachas: Vanilla rocket launchers. Might be available for China too.
    -Red Barbarians: Similar to vanilla cannons and culverins

I also want to throw in a warrior monk unit somewhere. Not sure where that would be, though. Maybe in a similar role to vanilla Coyote Priests if I can't come up with anything else.

Thanks for that, might be useful for one or two AoR units at the end depending on how much space I have left.

The unit limits make me sad too. I would've loved to give each faction a unique roster with unit names in their native language, and of course, all the European units would have faction-specific helmets and equipment to make them look less like clones of one another even if they kind of are. I also wish I could add just a few more factions so Africa and the Americas aren't so bare...

While on the topic of Asia, here's my planned roster so far for Goryeo, although I'm still a long way off of actually putting it together. Some help would be appreciated, especially for names.
    Asterisks are for unique units

-Town Watchmen: Levy infantry armed with a two-handed spear but can't form a spear wall, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan (the reason why they can't use a spear and shield combo)
    -*Sinbogun: Standard spear and shield infantry
    -*Jubugunhyeon: Standard sword/axe and shield infantry
    -*Jeonggyugun: Elite halberdiers that can form a spear wall
    -*Yongho: Elite two-handed axe/polearm shock infantry
    -Levied Hunters: Levied archers that use swords/axes in melee, shared with Song, Dai Viet, and Kamakura
    -*Gyeonggung: Professional archers, uses a sword/axe and shield in melee
    -*Balhae: Professional crossbowmen, representing people from the former Balhae Kingdom that was conquered by the Jurchens and Goryeo
    -*Balhwagun: Hand gunners that use a sword/axe and shield in melee
    -Huojian: Infantry that shoot long-ranged fire arrows and uses a glaive in melee, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan (the reason why they can't use a sword and shield combo)
    -Zhentianlei: Infantry that throw explosive grenades at close range and uses a glaive in melee, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan
    -*Arquebusiers (name needed)
    -Scout Cavalry: Low-tier light cavalry, shared with China, Dai Viet, and Japan
    -*Singigung: Professional medium cavalry
    -*Byulmuban: Professional cavalry archers
    -*Gaemamusa: Heavy shock cavalry (might need a new name)
    -Ballistae
    -Trebuchets
    -Crouching Tigers: Pretty much the Mangonels from Kingdoms, shared with China, Dai Viet, maybe Angkor/Ayutthaya, and Japan
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -*Hwachas: Vanilla rocket launchers. Might be available for China too.
    -Red Barbarians: Similar to vanilla cannons and culverins

I also want to throw in a warrior monk unit somewhere. Not sure where that would be, though. Maybe in a similar role to vanilla Coyote Priests if I can't come up with anything else.

For the time being I think the names are okay but I will do some further research to see if there are more period-appropriate names.

The Korean warrior monk concept might be more towards the Joseon era but they do pop up from time to time to lead the Righteous Armies first mentioned to have done so in the Khitan and Mongolian Invasions. They're not like your Japanese warrior monks who function more like European knighthood orders. Korean warrior monks are there to inspire so perhaps that might be what you're looking for? They'd fight better than peasants but probably don't have formal military training, making up for their lack of skill with fanaticism and morale. They inspire units called Uibyeong (mainly peasant rabble who act as resistance movements) to fight.

We have generic levy units already so maybe they can act as "Righteous Army" units.

This is how they look like in the Imjin War Mod.

From the movie The Admiral: Roaring Currents
    The monks tend to be armed with 1-handed sickles and polearms.
    Guys on the bottom right.

This is an English translation of A Chinese Traveler in Medieval Korea: Xu Jing’s Illustrated Account of the Xuanhe Embassy to Koryŏ. Link to parts of it here.

It is quite the read; I understand you've got other factions to work on but if you like history then maybe you'll like it. The author's tone is pretty condescending (he's a representative of the Song Dynasty send to Goryeo to assess and write down things). This book I had a lot of trouble finding but managed to find it while I was in London.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15358062
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE STUFF

These pictures depict recent archaeological findings of Goryeo armor. I think.

This was from a youtube video of a reenactment of the Goryeo-Khitan wars
    The lamellar would be fitting of the Early-Mid Goryeo period.

They used this painting as a source

This was a cartoon I found regarding the Goryeo-Khitan Wars.

The archers' brigandine might not be accurate but the general's helmet seems to be accurate.

The brigandine you can probably use as late Goryeo/Early Joseon. After all we're not strictly following AUH's timeline.

A statue built to commemorate Goryeo's victory over the Khitan

new-ish historical drama called Jeong Do-Jeon which focuses on historical accuracy. It is about the life of the founder of the Joseon Dynasty, takes place around 1380-1400.

For production they consulted a many historians in Korean history in order to achieve a very high degree of historical accuracy in order to generate an appreciation for history in the audience.

Here are some pictures:

Note that they have straight swords!

No curved swords until later on in the Joseon period.
    Last edited by IGdood; December 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM.

That's a lot of stuff, thanks again. I'm on break and am getting a bit sick of working with Western Europe (mostly retextures of the same models), so I'll probably make some Korean units next. Hopefully I can show some off by the first week of January. I'm a bit relieved that my current Goryeo units don't need too much of an update as far as their equipment is concerned, but the ranged units did have curved swords mixed with straight ones which I'll fix now by replacing them with axes or something.

And I suppose I finally have a final faction list that I'm satisfied with. Hopefully I won't change it anytime soon unless someone has suggestions.
    Europe:
    1.) Crown of Castile
    2.) Kingdom of England
    3.) Kingdom of France
    4.) The Holy Roman Empire
    5.) Kingdom of Norway (replacing Scotland)
    6.) The Papal States
    7.) Kingdom of Poland
    8.) Kingdom of Hungary (returning because Tibet is questionable and it'll save me some unit space)
    9.) The Roman Empire
    10.) Republic of Novgorod

Middle East & India:
    11.) The Seljuk Sultanate
    12.) The Ayyubid Caliphate
    13.) Shahdom of Khwarezm
    14.) The Pandyan Dynasty (replacing the Cholas; more significant especially with Srivijaya's absence)
    *Ghurids fell too early into the mod's timeframe (1215), which is why they aren't here

Africa:
    15.) The Mali Empire
    16.) The Kanem Empire
    17.) Kingdom of Abyssinia
    18.) The Almohad Caliphate
    *Considered the Songhai, but they appear too late in this mod's timeframe (starts in 1204) for my liking

East & Southeast Asia:
    19.) The Angkor Empire
    20.) Kingdom of Dai Viet
    21.) The Song Dynasty
    22.) The Great Jin Dynasty
    23.) Kingdom of Goryeo
    24.) The Kamakura Shogunate

Steppes:
    25.) The Kimek Khaganate
    26.) The Mongol Khanate

Americas:
    27.) Altepetl of Tenochtitlan (a slightly less anachronistic way to add the Aztecs)
    28.) Kingdom of K'umarkaj
    29.) Kingdom of Cusco
    30.) Kingdom of Chimor

31.) Independent Sovereignties (Rebels)
    Edit: Here's another small preview. Just because I could, I made 8 different variations of archer quivers: 4 on the right hip (with 2 wearing rucksacks), 2 slung across the back, and 2 "butt quivers." Unless they have a pavise on their backs, I plan on giving all archer/crossbow units a lot of variety as far as their quiver preference is concerned.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 24, 2018 at 06:14 PM.

I remade the generic Asian levy units for a few reasons: ripping them straight from Shaoding was troublesome because they were a lot taller and fatter/bulkier than the other units and the skeleton rigging was a bit off so that needed some tweaking. Some of them also wear rattan backpacks now in a similar vein to the rucksacks of the Europeans I previewed. The ones here are Vietnamese because I'm not sure what colours to use for the other factions (China, Japan, Korea, rebels, mercs).

EDIT: The AUH faction discussion for Dai Viet is pretty useful. Vietnamese stuff is probably coming soon.

EDIT 2: The backpacks shown above are going to be given to the Japanese ashigaru units too (not the samurai though, since they have servants to carry their stuff for them ). I've also been planning to give the Japanese ashigaru and samurai raincoats, as shown here:
    But I've been having some second thoughts on it because it might look weird to wear raincoats in clear weather; it's a shame that we can't have weather-specific uniforms. Then again, we can also have shirtless guys in the snow, so...
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; January 12, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

I think if you're thinking of dividing Japanese units into AOR you can maybe give it to areas of Japan that have a colder/wetter climate?

Edit: With the amount of randomization you can do with M2, I think the variety of horo you can give to samurai units would be amazing.

Especially the super fancy one with the tombstones
    Last edited by IGdood; January 13, 2019 at 10:58 PM.

The only mainland Japanese AoR units I'm planning on adding are the Wako (which will also be on the Chinese and Korean coast) and maybe a Ronin unit if there's extra room for filler at the end; the rest are going to be an integral part of their roster. I'll probably try and make raincoats just to see how they look, but if I can't get it to look right then I'll just axe the idea. I'm definitely going to add horo for the general's bodyguard, and I'll make them in different colours at the very least.

Here are the two "finalized" Japanese warrior monks: the Sōhei (naginata) and Yamabushi (archers) in the 13th and 14th centuries. I'm not sure how commonly used sashimono were before the Sengoku period, but here are the designs that I went with.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded once:

Here's a closer look at the sashimono. Don't worry, any clipping problems they have with the back quivers are only minor.

Assets taken from Shaoding and Bellum Crucis.

And here's the planned roster with unique units marked with asterisks. Sadly, ninjas won't make an appearance since including them in the roster in a historically accurate way wasn't going to be easy. Besides, they have a whopping 17 unique units and that was with me trying to cut some corners. If anyone wants to help come up with names, feel free to help out.
    -Town Watchmen: Generic levy spearmen
    -Genin*: Professional naginata infantry; will fight as two-handed spearmen without a spearwall formation. Can form schiltrom.
    -Bushi*: Elite naginata infantry. Can form schiltrom.
    -Sōhei*: Even more elite naginata infantry with much higher morale and frightens enemies. Can form schiltrom.
    -Daitō Ashigaru*: Professional infantry armed with nagamaki, tachi, and katana.
    -Daitō Samurai* Elite infantry armed with nagamaki, tachi, and katana.
    -Gokenin*: Very elite infantry armed with nodachi, tetsubo, and masakiri. Meant to be a dedicated shock infantry unit while the above two are more well-rounded, and if I'm going to include a lot of rare weapons, I might as well throw them into a unit that won't be seen a lot.
    -Yari Ashigaru*: Professional pikemen that will be recruitable in the 1400s
    -Yari Samurai*: Elite pikemen that will be recruitable in the 1400s
    -Levied Hunters: Generic levy archers
    -Daikyū Ashigaru*: Professional archers. Can deploy stakes.
    -Daikyū Samurai*: Elite archers, Can deploy stakes.
    -Yamabushi*: Very elite archers, with their main unique trait being increased range. May or may not be able to deploy stakes (if they can't, it'll make them more of a sidegrade to the samurai)
    -Tanegashima*: Ashigaru armed with arquebuses. Can't enter loose formation (for historical and balancing reasons), but can still deploy stakes.
    -Thunder Bombers: Throws explosive grenades, with a larger AoE but less lethality than naffatuns, making them better for disrupting formations than outright killing.
    -Fire Rocketeers: Fires flaming arrows at very long ranges, making them a kind of mobile anti-personnel artillery unit.
    -General's Bodyguard*: Probably going to be mounted samurai archers with a naginata for melee.
    -Yari Kihei*: Spear (or naginata for earlier periods) armed medium cavalry.
    -Hankyū Kihei*: Medium bow cavalry with less range than their dismounted counterpart.
    -Hatamoto*: Medium bow cavalry armed with polearms for melee, being a mashup of the above two and a kind of recruitable version of the bodyguard.
    -Bajō-Zutsu Kihei*: Samurai pistol cavalry to emphasize Japan's affinity with guns in the 16th and 17th centuries.
    -Crouching Tigers: Trebuchets, just like in vanilla. I'd feel bad if the Japanese had no wooden artillery.
    -Bombards: With the option to fire grapeshot if they're trying to hit softer targets.
    -Mortars
    -Red Barbarians: Culverins. Able to fire grapeshot too.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; January 13, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Are genin meant to represent a unit from the Genpei era?
    Maybe call them Naginata Attendants instead.

Fire Rocketeers you can callBo-Hiya.
    The general's bodyguard you can call Hatamoto.

The genin are supposed to be the first professional melee unit available (given the timeframe which begins in 1204), so they'll initially have Gempei-era equipment. Afterwards though, they'll probably either look like ashigaru with kabuto helmets or just straight up ashigaru. I mostly just wanted to avoid monotony in the unit names. I figured that a naginata unit would be the best one to call genin since the yari is kind of an iconic "ashigaru" weapon.

The fire rocketeers and thunder bombers are generic units also shared with China, Korea, and some other factions, so I'm probably going to keep their names in English (or perhaps Chinese?). I don't mind calling the bodyguard "General's Hatamoto," though.

A few Japanese units that I put together quickly. They're pretty much just ripped straight from Asia Empires and Shaoding with a few changes. In particular, I wanted to make the ashigaru look a bit less uniform. And sadly, I couldn't make good-looking raincoats.

15th century silver-upgrade ashigaru (somehow, neither the back quivers nor the rucksacks clip with the banners):

Gold-upgrade ashigaru (the samurai will look different, don't worry):
    Levies:

Generic professionals (here are the Thunder Bombers, which will also be used by the Song, Jin, Mongols, Dai Viet, and maybe Korea):
    EDIT: Some of the new Vietnamese models that I put together. Hopefully they don't look too Chinese. They're meant to look well-armoured, but not as heavily armoured as the Song units.

Infantry:
    Spearmen:
    Thanks to as0017 from the TaleWorlds forum for some assets. Here's a link to his work if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; January 21, 2019 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added Vietnamese units

Looking good; nice work.

I also like giving the ashigaru kabuto helmets. It's what I did with my Shogun 2 mod back in the day when I used to know how to mod haha.

You might also be interested in assets from War of the Dragons/Imjin War mod. Shares a lot with Asia Empires but there's some unique ones in there.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...h-Ming-Dynasty

I wish I had the mod that has actual AUH Vietnamese assets but I lost that one unfortunately.....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post14983221
    Last edited by IGdood; January 21, 2019 at 03:46 PM.

I originally planned on giving the fully upgraded ashigaru helmets like this:
    ...but I'm pretty sure it's not appropriate for the 1500s-1600s. In any case, the samurai will have crests on their helmets (the ashigaru are a bit more modest) and probably European-style cuirasses for their final upgrade, which will hopefully be distinct enough. I also have the Imjin War mod downloaded and plan on using bits like the face masks, crests, and the guns used by the Saika guys.

I've read the entire AUH discussion thread for Dai Viet several times now and have a good amount of the concept art saved onto my computer. Here's a tentative unit roster with unique units having names that aren't in English. I'm using Vietnamese names for now, but while I can speak Vietnamese semi-fluently, the names might not be perfect since I'm pretty much illiterate in Viet.
    -Town Watchmen: Levied two-handed spearmen. Can form a schiltrom.
    -*Thương Thủ ("Spearmen"): Professional spear/shield infantry. Can form a shield wall.
    -*Kiếm Thủ ("Swordsmen"): Professional heavy infantry armed with a mix of swords, axes, and sickles with shields. I know axes and sickles aren't really swords so the name isn't ideal.
    -*Cấu Liêm Thủ ("Polearm-Men"): Professional pikemen. Vietnamese pikes are shorter than European and Japanese pikes. A translation was hard to get because the Vietnamese terms for pike and spear are the same.
    -*Dũng Nghĩa Binh ("Brave and Righteous Men"): Elite shock infantry armed with the Vietnamese version of the zhan ma dao, a two-handed sword meant to cut down cavalry. I'm planning on giving them short sleeves to show off dragon, tiger, and crocodile tattoos on their arms.
    -*Cấm Quân ("Royal Guard"): Elite spearmen.
    -Levied Hunters: Levied archers.
    -*Cung Thủ ("Archers"): Professional archers. Can deploy stakes.
    -*Người Thượng ("Highlanders"): Professional Montagnard javelinmen that use two-handed spears in melee. They carry quivers full of javelins, which lets them carry more, are pretty good in melee, and can hide anywhere. They wear little to no armour, though.
    -*Nỏ Thủ ("Crossbowmen"): Professional crossbowmen with large shields on their backs. I don't think Dai Viet used repeating crossbows, so that's one way they'll differ from the Song.
    -Hand Gunners: Professional hand gunners. If there's space at the end, I'll make faction-specific hand gunners.
    -Fire Rocketeers: Professional skirmishers that shoot long-ranged fire arrows (they won't one-shot everything like the Rocket Launchers from vanilla).
    -Thunder Bombers: I'm fairly certain that the Vietnamese used fragmentation grenades too, although not as much as the Chinese. Admittedly, incendiary grenades might've been more common.
    -*Lính Ngự Lâm ("Musketeers"): Above average arquebusiers; the Vietnamese were famous for being good at making and using arquebuses in the 15th and 16th centuries, according to both Chinese and European military observers. I don't know if there's a separate Vietnamese term for arquebusiers, so I'm using this for now.
    -*Kỵ Binh ("Cavalry"): Professional medium cavalry.
    -*Thiết Kỵ Binh ("Armoured Cavalry"): Elite cataphracts, modeled after those used by the Trần Dynasty.
    -*Xạ Kỵ Binh ("Horse Archers"): Elite armoured archers riding unarmoured horses.
    -*Tượng Binh ("War Elephants"): Crossbowmen riding elephants. They'll be weaker than their Khmer counterparts.
    -Crouching Tigers: Vanilla trebuchets
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -Red Barbarians: Vanilla culverins.

I'm also considering Cham infantry and Dali cavalry units. The former would be shared with the Khmers and a Dali unit would be especially easy to add from Shaoding, as well as probably being shared with the Song.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; January 21, 2019 at 10:30 PM.

I originally planned on giving the fully upgraded ashigaru helmets like this:
    ...but I'm pretty sure it's not appropriate for the 1500s-1600s. In any case, the samurai will have crests on their helmets (the ashigaru are a bit more modest) and probably European-style cuirasses for their final upgrade, which will hopefully be distinct enough. I also have the Imjin War mod downloaded and plan on using bits like the face masks, crests, and the guns used by the Saika guys.

I've read the entire AUH discussion thread for Dai Viet several times now and have a good amount of the concept art saved onto my computer. Here's a tentative unit roster with unique units having names that aren't in English. I'm using Vietnamese names for now, but while I can speak Vietnamese semi-fluently, the names might not be perfect since I'm pretty much illiterate in Viet.
    -Town Watchmen: Levied two-handed spearmen. Can form a schiltrom.
    -*Thương Thủ ("Spearmen"): Professional spear/shield infantry. Can form a shield wall.
    -*Kiếm Thủ ("Swordsmen"): Professional heavy infantry armed with a mix of swords, axes, and sickles with shields. I know axes and sickles aren't really swords so the name isn't ideal.
    -*Cấu Liêm Thủ ("Polearm-Men"): Professional pikemen. Vietnamese pikes are shorter than European and Japanese pikes. A translation was hard to get because the Vietnamese terms for pike and spear are the same.
    -*Dũng Nghĩa Binh ("Brave and Righteous Men"): Elite shock infantry armed with the Vietnamese version of the zhan ma dao, a two-handed sword meant to cut down cavalry. I'm planning on giving them short sleeves to show off dragon, tiger, and crocodile tattoos on their arms.
    -*Cấm Quân ("Royal Guard"): Elite spearmen.
    -Levied Hunters: Levied archers.
    -*Cung Thủ ("Archers"): Professional archers. Can deploy stakes.
    -*Người Thượng ("Highlanders"): Professional Montagnard javelinmen that use two-handed spears in melee. They carry quivers full of javelins, which lets them carry more, are pretty good in melee, and can hide anywhere. They wear little to no armour, though.
    -*Nỏ Thủ ("Crossbowmen"): Professional crossbowmen with large shields on their backs. I don't think Dai Viet used repeating crossbows, so that's one way they'll differ from the Song.
    -Hand Gunners: Professional hand gunners. If there's space at the end, I'll make faction-specific hand gunners.
    -Fire Rocketeers: Professional skirmishers that shoot long-ranged fire arrows (they won't one-shot everything like the Rocket Launchers from vanilla).
    -Thunder Bombers: I'm fairly certain that the Vietnamese used fragmentation grenades too, although not as much as the Chinese. Admittedly, incendiary grenades might've been more common.
    -*Lính Ngự Lâm ("Musketeers"): Above average arquebusiers; the Vietnamese were famous for being good at making and using arquebuses in the 15th and 16th centuries, according to both Chinese and European military observers. I don't know if there's a separate Vietnamese term for arquebusiers, so I'm using this for now.
    -*Kỵ Binh ("Cavalry"): Professional medium cavalry.
    -*Thiết Kỵ Binh ("Armoured Cavalry"): Elite cataphracts, modeled after those used by the Trần Dynasty.
    -*Xạ Kỵ Binh ("Horse Archers"): Elite armoured archers riding unarmoured horses.
    -*Tượng Binh ("War Elephants"): Crossbowmen riding elephants. They'll be weaker than their Khmer counterparts.
    -Crouching Tigers: Vanilla trebuchets
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -Red Barbarians: Vanilla culverins.

I'm also considering Cham infantry and Dali cavalry units. The former would be shared with the Khmers and a Dali unit would be especially easy to add from Shaoding, as well as probably being shared with the Song.

That helmet looks like the Edo period pre-FoTS ashigaru helmet which would fit into the late era

Also didn't know you could speak Vietnamese. Cool! (I speak Chinese).
    Asia Empires is also working on an update so we might see some new things soon....hopefully.

Well, maybe I'll throw it in alongside the kabuto then.

Since you can speak Chinese (and I assume you can read it too since I've downloaded at least one of your Chinese-to-English mod translations) if it isn't too much of a bother, could you try helping me out with the names for some Chinese rosters? Here's what I have planned for now, sort of. The main Chinese faction is a mix of Song and Ming units, while Yuan units are planned to be in the Mongol roster and Qing units very late in the Jin roster.

The Song Dynasty (and Ming): The most infantry-centric of these three, with plenty of fun ranged toys too.
    -Town Watchmen
    -*Daopaishou: Professional heavy sword/shield infantry.
    -*Spear/shield infantry
    -*Pikemen (are there separate words for "spear" and "pike" in Chinese? I had that issue with the Vietnamese spearmen and pikemen)
    -*Imperial guards (either zhan ma dao or pikes)
    -*Some other elite infantry unit (either zhan ma dao or pikes)
    -Levied Hunters (archers)
    -*Archers
    -*Crossbowmen (repeating)
    -*Crossbowmen (non-repeating; will have longer range and damage but lower rate of fire)
    -*Hand Gunners (generic for now, but if there's room at the end, I'll give the Asian factions unique hand gunner units)
    -*Arquebusiers (using European arquebuses, if there's a special name for that)
    -*Shenjiying (armed with the xun lei chong, which will shoot quickly but have lower range)
    -Huo Qiang (fire lances/flamethrowers)
    -Thunder Bombers
    -Fire Rocketeers
    -*Light cavalry
    -*Heavy cavalry
    -General's Bodyguard: Shared with the Jin/Qing, Vietnamese, and Koreans.
    -*Sanqianying: Elite cavalry archers (Ming-era).
    -*Mounted gunners (armed with san yan chong)
    -Ballistae
    -Crouching Tigers (trebuchets)
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -Red Barbarians (culverins)
    -Wokou will be available nearby as mercenaries on China's coast
    The Mongol Khanate (and Great Yuan): Focused more on cavalry and skirmishers, with the best cavalry in the game aside from late-period European knights.
    -*Duulgat (Mongol term for soldiers wearing helmets): Professional heavy spear/shield infantry
    -*Hanjun (term for ethnic Chinese soldiers during the Yuan dynassty): Professional heavy sword/shield infantry
    -*Khevtuul (branch of the keshigten bodyguard who guarded the camp at night): Elite spear/shield infantry
    -Steppe Clansmen (levy spear/shield infantry with bows): Levy-tier light infantry with bows. Not a lot of archers will have spears, so this is unique. Shared with the Jin and meant to be a generic name for rebel garrisons throughout the steppes.
    -*Khubatu (Mongol term for archers): Professional archers.
    -*Merguen (Mongol term for especially accurate archers): Elite archers.
    -Some kind of crossbow unit; the Yuan used crossbowmen. Might just use the Song non-repeating crossbow unit.
    -*Gaoli Jun (Korean auxiliaries fighting for the Mongols): Semi-professional javelinmen based on the Korean Skirmishers from Shogun: Total War.
    -Hand Gunners
    -*Tanmachi (a term eventually used to refer to gun-armed non-Mongol auxiliaries in the Yuan dynasty): Professional arquebusiers
    -Thunder Bombers
    -Fire Rocketeers
    -Huo Qiang (the Mongols brought fire lances to the Middle East)
    -*Hoshuchi (Mongol term for lighter cavalry): Professional light cavalry.
    -*Turhaguti (Mongol term for Mongol battlefield retinues): Professional heavy cavalry
    -*General's Keshikten (personal bodyguard of the Khan and high-ranking generals): I think the Song/Ming generals would suit the Jin more, so these'll be unique to the Mongols
    -*Baatur (Mongol term for an army's champions): Elite heavy cavalry
    -Steppe Nomads (light cavalry archers): Pretty much a mounted variant of the Steppe Clansmen but with swords instead of spears
    -*Nukeri (I ripped this one straight out of Rusichi): Professional horse archers riding fast ponies
    -*Khorchin (archer branch of the keshigten; name means "quiver-bearers"): Elite heavy horse archers that ride slower armoured horses
    -*Temee (what Google Translate gave me as a Mongolian word for "camelry" or "camels): Professional camel riders armed with javelins; pretty much the ultimate anti-cavalry cavalry unit.
    -Ballistae
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -Red Barbarians
    The Great Jin Dynasty (and Qing): A kind of in-between of the above two.
    -*Professional spear/shield
    -*Professional sword/shield infantry
    -*Professional pikemen (the Jurchens used longer two-handed spears, but these spears will be shorter than European, Song/Ming, and Japanese pikes)
    -*Elite two-handed swordsmen
    -*A Qing-era elite infantry unit would be nice
    -Steppe Clansmen
    -*Professional archers
    -*Elite archers
    -Bohai (subjugated people from the Kingdom of Bohai): Professional crossbowmen shared with the Koreans.
    -Hand Gunners
    -*Professional arquebusiers
    -Thunder Bombers
    -Fire Rocketeers
    -*Light cavalry
    -General's Bodyguard: Shared with the Song/Ming, Vietnamese, and Koreans.
    -*Tiefutu ("Iron Pagodas"): Very heavy shock cavalry. Technically, I don't think they really existed anymore by the mod's start date of 1204 (they were mostly wiped out in the 1100s), but they're such an iconic Jin unit that the roster would feel incomplete without them.
    -Steppe Nomads
    -*Medium horse archers
    -*Elite horse archers (not as "heavy" as the Mongol variant)
    -Promyshlenniki (Russian hunters and caravan bodyguards operating in Siberia who were often contracted by the Qing; also in Novgorod's roster): Professional arquebus cavalry.
    -Ballistae
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; February 03, 2019 at 02:32 AM.

Well, maybe I'll throw it in alongside the kabuto then.

Since you can speak Chinese (and I assume you can read it too since I've downloaded at least one of your Chinese-to-English mod translations) if it isn't too much of a bother, could you try helping me out with the names for some Chinese rosters? Here's what I have planned for now, sort of. The main Chinese faction is a mix of Song and Ming units, while Yuan units are planned to be in the Mongol roster and Qing units very late in the Jin roster.

The Song Dynasty (and Ming):
    -Town Watchmen
    -*Sword/shield infantry
    -*Spear/shield infantry
    -*Pikemen (are there separate words for "spear" and "pike" in Chinese? I had that issue with the Vietnamese spearmen and pikemen)
    -*Imperial guards (either zhan ma dao or pikes)
    -*Some other elite infantry unit (either zhan ma dao or pikes)
    -Levied Hunters (archers)
    -*Archers
    -*Crossbowmen (repeating)
    -*Crossbowmen (non-repeating; will have longer range and damage but lower rate of fire)
    -*Hand Gunners (generic for now, but if there's room at the end, I'll give the Asian factions unique hand gunner units)
    -*Arquebusiers (using European arquebuses)
    -*Shenjiying (armed with the xun lei chong)
    -Huo Qiang (fire lances/flamethrowers)
    -Thunder Bombers
    -Fire Rocketeers
    -*Light cavalry
    -*Heavy cavalry
    -*Horse archers (Ming-era; possibly representing the wei-suo troops?)
    -*Mounted gunners (armed with san yan chong)
    -Ballistae
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -Wokou will be available nearby as mercenaries on China's coast
    The Mongol Khanate (and Great Yuan): Two units I really want to squeeze in are Koreans (the name would be Gaoli Jun) and camelry (unknown name). Not sure where, though.
    -*Duulgat (Mongol term for soldiers wearing helmets): Professional heavy spear/shield infantry
    -*Hanjun (term for ethnic Chinese soldiers during the Yuan dynassty): Professional heavy sword/shield infantry
    -*Khevtuul (branch of the keshigten bodyguard who guarded the camp at night): Elite spear/shield infantry
    -Steppe Clansmen (levy spear/shield infantry with bows): Levy-tier light infantry with bows. Not a lot of archers will have spears, so this is unique. Shared with the Jin and meant to be a generic name for rebel garrisons throughout the steppes.
    -*Khubatu (Mongol term for archers): Professional archers.
    -*Merguen (Mongol term for especially accurate archers): Elite archers.
    -Some kind of crossbow unit; the Yuan used crossbowmen. Might just use the Song non-repeating crossbow unit.
    -Hand Gunners
    -*Tanmachi (a term eventually used to refer to gun-armed non-Mongol auxiliaries in the Yuan dynasty): Professional arquebusiers
    -Thunder Bombers
    -Fire Rocketeers
    -Huo Qiang (the Mongols brought fire lances to the Middle East)
    -*Hoshuchi (Mongol term for lighter cavalry): Professional light cavalry.
    -*Turhaguti (Mongol term for Mongol battlefield retinues): Professional heavy cavalry
    -*General's Keshikten (personal bodyguard of the Khan and high-ranking generals): I think the Song/Ming generals would suit the Jin more, so these'll be unique to the Mongols
    -*Baatur (Mongol term for an army's champions): Elite heavy cavalry
    -Steppe Nomads (light cavalry archers): Pretty much a mounted variant of the Steppe Clansmen but with swords instead of spears
    -*Nukeri (I ripped this one straight out of Rusichi): Professional horse archers riding fast ponies
    -*Khorchin (archer branch of the keshigten; name means "quiver-bearers"): Elite heavy horse archers that ride slower armoured horses
    -Ballistae
    -Bombards
    -Mortars
    -Red Barbarians
    The Great Jin Dynasty (and Qing): This one is turning out to be pretty hard for me to put together. I only have a few units for certain as of now. I'm planning on at least making the final upgrade for professional units represent the Green Standard Army.
    -Steppe Clansmen
    -Hand Gunners
    -Thunder Bombers
    -Fire Rocketeers
    -*Iron Pagodas:
    (I'd prefer a Chinese name; super heavy shock cavalry)
    -Steppe Nomads
    -Promyshlenniki (Russian hunters and caravan bodyguards operating in Siberia who were often contracted by the Qing; also in Novgorod's roster): Professional arquebus cavalry
    Are you looking for advice on naming the units by pinyin so Sword + Shield = Daopaishou?

Spears would be "qiang", and pikes would be "chang qiang" , literally "long spears"
    For the planned Ming horse archer unit, one of the more famous units would be the sanqianying, literally "camp of 3000" and consists of recruited nomads and such given Chinese armor and arms. Or you can base them on the northern border garrison forces.

For designing the Jin/Jurchen/Qing roster what you can do is probably start them off with the Shaoding era units to depict them as the Jin/Jurchens and then give them the banner reforms and then you can use the Asia Empires Qing/Manchu roster with the really comfy-looking brigandine armor depicting the "bannermen" units. The Green Standard units will always be lower-grade Han Chinese units; they won't be true Manchu.

Iron Pagoda = Tiefutu

Yeah, pinyin names are what I'd like help on, especially for the Song/Ming and Jin/Qing. I'd prefer to use Google translate as a last resort because some of the translations would be off.

I think I'll make the Ming horse archers the Sanqianying because they sound cool and I like the idea of adding historical units (the English will have the Yeomen of the Guard, for one).

For the Jurchens, I'll make their late-era professional units bannermen then. I'd still like to include the Green Standard units somehow, though; maybe for their gunners? Roster-wise, I was planning on having them with better cavalry than the Song/Ming but worse than the Mongols and better infantry than the Mongols but worse infantry than the Song/Ming. The main challenge is with the names more than anything. I'll update that post.

EDIT: Here's a preview of the Sengoku-era samurai. I tried to make sure that they look very distinct from the ashigaru despite them having the same armour. You can tell them apart by their swords, which have differently coloured hilts and guards (gold and dark brown for samurai versus silver and light brown for ashigaru), the fact that they carry two swords while ashigaru only carry one, and, of course, their helmets, which are probably the best indication from a bird's eye view. The helmets might be a little over the top, though; I scaled up the decorations until they were really visible from a distance (and chose some really flashy ones like feathers and horns), but I'd like feedback on that.
    EDIT 2: I've been playing a lot of Shogun 2 lately and it reminded me how much I liked the minor clans, since they helped keep things interesting. Falcom did a pretty good job at representing "sub-factions" within the rebels, but I'm going to expand it by making the rebels aggressive and able to recruit units. They'll actually have faction names too, rather than just being all called "___ Rebels." Each rebel "sub-faction" will field different armies too. Here's the planned list (it's a long list).
    Europe:-Kingdom of Scotland
    -Kingdom of Ireland
    -Principality of Wales
    -English Baron's Alliance (English rebels)
    -Duchy of Normandy
    -Duchy of Burgundy
    -Duchy of Aquitaine
    -Duchy of Brittany
    -County of Flanders
    -County of Holland
    -Confederacy of Switzerland
    -Duchy of Bohemia
    -Prussian Tribes
    -Norwegian Rebels
    -Kingdom of Denmark
    -Kingdom of Sweden
    -Lordship of Harviala (Finland)
    -Kingdom of Pamplona
    -Crown of Aragon
    -Kingdom of Leon
    -Kingdom of Portugal
    -Emirate of Granada
    -Duchy of Tuscany
    -Republic of Milan
    -Most Serene Republic of Venice
    -Kingdom of Sicily
    -Republic of Rome (fictional; if Rome falls under rebel control)
    -Grand Duchy of Smolensk
    -Grand Duchy of Kiev
    -Grand Duchy of Moscow
    -Principality of Volga Bulgaria
    -Principality of Chernigov
    -Duchies of Poland (Polish rebels)
    -Duchy of Pomerania
    -Grand Duchy of Lithuania
    -Magyar Rebels (Hungarian rebels)
    -Kingdom of Croatia
    -Kingdom of Albania
    -Principality of Wallachia
    -Tsardom of Bulgaria
    -The Latin Empire (Constantinople and Greece)
    -Empire of Trebizond (Roman rebels)

Middle East & India:
    -Principalities of Anatolia
    -Kingdom of Georgia
    -Kingdom of Cilicia
    -Arab Tribes
    -The Zengid Dynasty
    -The Mamluk Sultanate (Egyptian rebels)
    -The Ghurid Sultanate
    -The Rajput Dynasty
    -The Chaulukya Dynasty
    -The Yadava Dynasty
    -Sultanate of Delhi
    -Kingdom of Dambadeniya

Asia & Steppes:
    -The Kimek Khaganate
    -The Kara-Khitan Khanate
    -The Naiman Khanate
    -The Great Xia Dynasty
    -The Great Liao Dynasty (Jurchen rebels)
    -Chinese Rebels
    -Kingdom of Dali
    -Kingdom of Ayutthaya (Khmer rebels)
    -Kingdom of Pagan
    -Kingdom of Haribhuñjaya
    -Kingdom of Chăm Pa
    -Vietnamese Clans (Dai Viet rebels)
    -The Srivijaya Empire
    -Taiwanese Tribes
    -Japanese Clans (Japanese rebels; Samurai and ashigaru)
    -Militant Buddhist Sects (Japanese rebels; Sohei and peasants)
    -Kingdom of Ryūkyū
    -Ainu Tribes
    -Siberian Tribes
    -Steppe Nomads
    -Aboriginal Tribes (Australia)
    -Papuan Tribes

Africa:
    -The Marinid Dynasty (Almohad rebels)
    -Kingdom of Tlemcecn
    -The Hafsid Dynasty
    -Kingdom of Great Zimbabwe
    -Kingdom of the Congo
    -Kingdom of Makuria (will also be a stand-in for Abyssinian rebels)
    -Kingdom of Alodia
    -Kingdom of Benin
    -African Tribes

Americas:
    -Altepetl of Texcoco (Tenochtitlan rebels)
    -Confederacy of Tlaxcala
    -The Purépecha Empire
    -The Chichimec Nations
    -League of Mayapan (Maya rebels)
    -Confederacy of the Muisca
    -Amazonian Tribes
    -Peruvian Tribes (Inca/Chimu rebels)
    -Inuit Tribes
    -Wyandot Tribes
    -Mississippian Tribes
    -Hopewellian Tribes
    -Adena Tribes
    Here's a list of the planned religions too. The limit is 10. If there's a way to change how religion affects public order (like if the owner is Catholic, then the Orthodox population would add less to unrest than the Muslim population), then that would make things more interesting too.
    -Roman Catholicism: Pope mechanic, automatically converts other churches to Roman Catholicism, can convert to Protestantism
    -Protestantism: Automatically converts other churches to Protestantism
    -Greek Orthodoxy: Automatically converts other churches to Greek Orthodoxy
    -Ethiopian Orthodoxy (may merge with Greek Orthodoxy into a generic Orthodoxy religion): Automatically converts other churches to Ethiopian Orthodoxy
    -Islam: Jihad mechanic, crusade target, automatically converts Hindu temples to Islam
    -Hinduism: Automatically converts Buddhist temples to Hinduism
    -Buddhism: Automatically converts Buddhist and Tengrii temples to Hinduism
    -Tengriism: Automatically converts Buddhist, Tengrii, and Mosques to Tengriism, can convert to Buddhism
    -Sun God (may split into Mesoamerican and South American Polytheism): Sacrifice mechanic
    -Other: Heretic
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; February 11, 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

I'll help pinyin names when I can or as you put out units.

I also have a link to a download of a locked copy of Asia Empires that has the newest stuff but unfortunately I don't have an "unlocked" version of it and therefore it cannot be played but you can access the textures and models. Let me know if you want that one.