Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Impressive units and UI modding!

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Semisalis

I was suddenly inspired to work on the Papal States, whose roster is kind of a blanket of the various Italian republics since obviously there's only one Italian faction in the mod. Just as the other European unique professional units have faction-specific 15th century headgear, the Papal soldiers will wear barbutes.

Just like Milan in vanilla, they'll generally dominate skirmish battles with their Genoese crossbowmen due to their good missile attack and high defence, but there's more to the faction than just that; they have very solid infantry choices as well as a few unique cavalry units, though cavalry isn't exactly meant to be a strength of theirs and their non-crossbow missile options are subpar. Campaign-wise, I finally enabled the player to call crusades if they are playing as the Papal States (vanilla and most mods don't allow this since the Papacy wasn't meant to be playable), and while there isn't much to do in Europe once Italy is conquered, the Papacy will be in one of the better positions to muck about in the Middle East due to their geographical location and the fact that they probably won't get backstabbed by any of their Catholic neighbours as often.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Levy units/artillery crews:
    Generic professional units:
    Generic knights: Remember that elusive "Banneret Knights" unit I kept promising that I was working on? They're done now and are shown below.
    Lancieri Comunale ("Communal Spearmen"; unique unit):
    Nobili Signori ("Noble Lords"; unique unit): Elite heavy spearmen able to form a shield wall; something almost all Western European factions lack. They're the replacement of the old Papal Guard unit.
    Fanti da Mar ("Marines"; unique unit): Venetian marines, filling a similar role to the Venetian Heavy Infantry in vanilla. I might give them warhammers in a future release. Some feathers would be nice too.
    Guardia Svizzera ("Swiss Guard"; unique unit): A contender for the strongest infantry in the game, along with the Roman varrangoi and the Japanese oban. A 15th century model is currently being made, since while the Pontifical Swiss Guard wasn't officially founded until the early 1500s, Swiss bodyguards did serve the Pope in the 1470s. Regarding the armour colours: the higher-ranking members of the Swiss Guard today wear black and gold armour, and I really didn't know how else to make them look elite without giving them knightly armour which just seemed wrong.
    Balestrieri Genovesi ("Genoese Crossbowmen"; unique unit): Elite pavise crossbowmen, with identical stats to generic crossbowmen except in three areas: they have a higher missile attack, slightly longer range (they will always get the first volley off against enemy crossbowmen), and more ammunition. In custom battles, France will now get access to them as well.
    Lanze Spezzate ("Broken Lances"; unique unit): A nice middle-ground between the Men-at-Arms and mounted knights. They'll be more mobile than knights as well because their mounts are unarmoured.
    Bande Nere ("Black Band"; unique unit): The Black Bands of Giovanni were some of the first mounted arquebusiers in Europe and reputed to have been the finest Italian troops during the Italian Wars.
    There's "only" three Catholic factions left now: Portugal (will be a clone of Castile with one or two unique units), Poland, and Denmark.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; August 17, 2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: New units: Fanti da Mar & Bande Nere

Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires | Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth

I like it! Will all the unit cards be there when the submod comes?

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Semisalis

Eventually, yes. For early releases, probably not; using placeholder vanilla icons will be quicker and should be good enough for unit identification. Plus, all I really know in terms of modding is editing models, textures, and text files.

Unless you're volunteering to make them, in which case I would be very grateful and that would speed things up quite a bit.

Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires | Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth