Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Thanks, I'm trying to make all the units vibrant and colourful to better represent the time period. Plus, dull colours look boring, in my opinion; I initially intended to use the CBUR units (which they kindly gave me permission to do), but to be honest, they're starting to show their age, I'm using assets from them but not really the units themselves.

Balance is definitely something that I have in mind, and I'm hoping to make every faction viable (yes, even the Mesoamericans). I'll upload a custom battle build before the campaign is actually finished, and I already did some quality-of-life improvements like pikemen without secondary weapons (that I found reasonably balanced, after some tweaking), gunpowder units firing in volleys without swapping ranks, javelinmen throwing in volleys, halberdiers being useful, and some other things.

I made two elite Roman units (thanks to the Broken Crescent team for letting me use their models) and some more (semi-)professional units.

Spatharioi tou Vasileos: The best sword/shield unit that the Romans have, with stats between the European feudal and chivalric foot knights. Morale will be higher, though. I might change the shield textures to make them more vibrant and more in-line with the other Roman shields.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Scholae Palatinae: Technically a little anachronistic in name, but if anyone played with the CBUR units before, they're the scholarii. They're the very best heavy cavalry that the Romans have, but they'll be worse than the Gendarmes of the western Europeans and elite nomad cavalry.
    Peltastae: A semi-professional javelin unit that has lighter armour than the fully professional units, but will be able to move a bit quicker. They use swords in melee.
    Akritae: The mounted version of the peltastae, taking the place as the Roman light cavalry unit.
    Pyrovolites: The first of two gunpowder units that the Romans will get access to (the other will be an arquebus unit, which will be worse than European musketeers), armed with hand guns that aren't the most powerful, but do cause morale shock at least. They use a sword and buckler for melee with the same stats as the Mourtatoi.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 31, 2017 at 03:17 AM.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

I like three kingdoms. Why you not do a three kingdoms on Falcom Total War 3. I am do three kingdoms on Eras total war 2.0 and it only is a modified version and I will complete it in between 2018. Some new factions as: Cao Cao,Liu Bei,Sun Ce,Silla,Goguryeo,Baekje, Yamato Period, Kyushu Dynasty (King Tsukushinokimi Iwai), Shi Xie, Arakan Dynasty (Myanmar), Singhanavati Kingdoms (Thailand) and Pandyan Dynaty (India). We will try complete before Lunar New Year and new version only have three country is Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Sunce. It will is version 1.0 and next version will have add Korea and Japan. Next final will do on Eras total war 2.0 and will released between April 2018. First version will be released in 4/2/2018 and it will free for all every one. In next version we will not free and it also will have language english give version 1.0.Next version 1.3 will is version final Then we will move on to discuss Warring States in the new stage And it will also have three parts similar to the three kingdoms Next is a series of mods in China as early period Qin Dynasty,Han Dynasty and Song Dynasty

You're pretty much asking me to delete everything that I already made and to start from scratch. That's not going to happen, especially since I've already made a lot of progress. Besides, if you've played the original Falcom, you'll have to admit that a bit of a facelift is long overdue, and I'm not picking up anything new until both this and Colonies & Empires are finished. Most people are going to Falcom because of the setting and time period: high to late middle ages on a global scale.

Alammanoi: I decided to go more with the Crusades version of this unit rather than CBUR, since I don't think the Romans need yet another sword/shield unit. Technically these guys have swords and shields too, but they use zweihanders which will make the inner history buff in us all scream in anguish internally. Also, they speak German, since Falcom was nice enough to implement German voices.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 31, 2017 at 08:09 PM.

oh you not need must delete all files you only need delete some factions at chinese and add it. Now I am doing a new version for Asia Empire and in this mods only have seven factions is Minh Dynasty, Northen Yuan,Tibet Kingdoms, Tokugawa Clan, Joeson Dynasty, Tran Dynasty (Việt Nam), Kingdom Of Spain and Kingdom of Portugal. I had delete some old factions as: Qing Dynasty,Tan Lun,Li Zicheng and some other factions. I will do about Early soon Great Yuan Dynasty after when I complete this version and iit will from 17th centery into 13th centery

None of what I made is suitable for that time period so I would pretty much have to scrap everything, which I will not do. If you're already making a Three Kingdoms mod on a global scale, I don't really see why I have to; what I'm doing is building up on the work that Falcom already did. I also won't oversaturate Europe or Asia or any other part of the world with a majority of the factions like you want me to, since my main turnoff with the original was the abundance of European factions. Besides, if you want to play a mod focused around a specific region, you might as well choose a mod like Broken Crescent, Stainless Steel, or Shaoding. Again, I won't be doing anything new until I finish what I'm already working on, and I've already committed to this setting and time period.

Touphakyphoroi: The second and last tier of the Roman gunners, armed with an arquebus. Compared to Western European musketeers, they'll be worse at shooting because muskets are more advanced than arquebuses, but better in melee since they're Italian-Roman marines, who don't have the luxury of pikemen to protect them. They'll also be more expensive than western musketeers, so gunpowder infantry won't exactly be a strength for the Romans.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; January 01, 2018 at 04:25 AM.

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

I like your explanations for adding the units (you think of balance etc), and I'm also glad you're staying dedicated to the time period YOU feel is necessary to improve upon (I would agree that the inclusion of vanilla models/units in Falcom was kind of dissapointing when they were side-by-side with the new units).

The worst part about the vanilla rosters was that they were full of filler units (peasant and militia crossbows, for one), which ate away at the EDU limit. By cleaning it up a bit, I can finally add more to the factions that were lacking, like the Khmers, who hardly had any units at all. Of course, some of the new rosters from Falcom are getting cleaned up too. I decided to combine the Japanese bushi and light bushi units into one, with the bushi being an armour upgrade.

I'm getting close to finishing the Western European units; just have to make German, Spanish, and Papal textures and I should be set. There is one thing that I kind of need to worry about, though: I haven't actually come up with a name for this submod yet. I also kind of wish that I asked Falcom to make me a subforum while he was still around...

Longbowmen (English): I thought about calling them "Yeoman Longbowmen," but it sounded weird when I said it in my head. It doesn't roll off the tongue very well. Depending on EDU space, the other Europeans might get a "Yeoman Archers" unit using similar equipment, but with self bows instead of longbows. I'm just going to stick to the vanilla shields for now, since I think that they're good enough.
    Yeomen/Archers of the Guard (England): This mod's version of the Retinue Longbowmen, based off of a real unit of the same name formed in the 1400s. They use a sword and buckler in melee.

The real Yeomen of the Guard were also armed with halberds, so they could be an elite infantry unit similar to the Swiss Guard. If I make them, this unit will be renamed "Archers of the Guard" to differentiate them.
    Garde Écossaise (French): The Scots Guard will be available to both France and Scotland, and will become available at the same time/tier as the Yeomen of the Guard. They won't shoot as well as their English counterpart, but they use claymores in melee. In the campaign, I think they'll only be recruitable when France and Scotland have an alliance, and after France destroys Scotland and vice versa. We all know how the AI is...

Historically, they also used spears and shields, so I could make them an elite infantry unit as well, if the EDU still has space at the end.
    Thanks to Templar's weapon minimod for the claymores (and the zweihanders).
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; January 03, 2018 at 12:32 AM.

Work here is going to slow down a lot in the coming weeks, since I'm not on holiday anymore. In any case, if anyone wants to help out, I'd appreciate it and there are a lot of things that I don't really know how to mod (animations, campaign, character names, etc.). Really, all I can do is edit text, 3D modelling and texturing, EDU, and BMDB stuff. Some help with researching would also be great.

If you'd like to help out:
    -Research: Right now, I'm mostly concerned with coming up with unit rosters and finding visual sources (Goryeo is a challenge), but later on, we'd need character names and whatnot.
    -Animating: I'd like to merge the animations of several mods together to make gameplay more fun (better pike/halberd animations, gunners/javelinmen firing in volleys, etc.). I'd also like to get MARKA horses and elephant ballistae working, but everything I'm trying to do just causes CTDs.
    -Campaign Map: Well, the map itself won't change, but the starting positions of a lot of factions and the starting armies will need to change a lot. This'll be a lot further down the road, though, and I'll probably upload a custom battle alpha before the campaign.
    -2D Art: I have no idea how to make visually appealing unit cards or faction icons.
    Now with that out of the way, I did make a few more units.

Nayar Warriors: An elite Khmer sword/shield unit that throws javelins before charging into melee.
    Some kind of spear unit: To be honest, I'm not sure what to make this unit. I originally planned to make it an elite unit, but I don't think it really looks elite enough. Maybe a professional unit for the Khmers?
    Varrangoi: I just used the Broken Crescent model (I can't thank them enough for letting me use their stuff), but with a more vibrant recolour that's more in-line with the other units that I made.
    Kontaratoi: A professional Roman pike unit. They're available pretty early on, but won't be as good as Western European pikemen.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    German Levies and Serjeants: It was about time that I started on them. I wasn't too sure about what colours to use, so I used black and yellow like in vanilla, along with some red (it fit nicely) and green (no other European faction used green yet, and it was a fairly common colour worn back then).
    Levies:

Serjeants:
    Swabian Swordsmen: Hardly a historically accurate unit, but it does make the HRE more unique early on. It's a bit of a throwback to the original Medieval: Total War, where they're pretty cool. Rather than using the same kite shields as the serjeants, they use the same ones as the (also German) Alammanoi, which I thought would be a nice touch. Also, I'm too lazy to give them the serjeants' shields.

Didn't realize it's been so long, but another preview. This time, it's the Mongols. They'll be using brown, red, and black as their faction colours.

Sibiryaki: A levy-tier spear unit that will also be available to the Jurchens, Cumans, and Russians. Sibiryaki is the Russian term for the natives of Siberia.
    Youmu: The levy-tier archer unit for the Steppe factions. Youmu is the Chinese term for their neighbours to the north, and it literally means "nomads."
    Kharash: The only dedicated heavy infantry unit for the Mongols. While it preserves the siege assault role of the historical kharash, it'll be better equipped to a standard of actual Mongol soldiers, mostly because I couldn't come up with a better name for them.
    Merguen: The standard archer unit for the Mongols. Like the Mongol Infantry in vanilla (and Falcom), it'll be fairly good in melee too.
    Kheshig: The best heavy cavalry unit the Mongols have. The kheshig was the personal guard of the Khan and probably what the Khan's Guard in vanilla is based off of.
    Credits to Rusichi: Total War and Bellum Crucis for assets.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Love your work Metal.Pigeon! keep it up! Can't wait to play this!

On a side note, have you considered at all making a version with a smaller map? Or perhaps sub-campgains for different regions for example, Europe and/or Americas, Asia and/or India etc, etc, etc?
    Also, I was wondering, I understand that the Roman's aren't supposed to be comparible to Western European factions when it comes to late game tech, but I'm wondering will they get any of the same or simmilar armour upgrades like plate armor? If so would these have visual impact on the units in question? Furthurmore, havinjg you considered overhauling the 2D visuals/UI? For example new more historically accurate banners for factions?
    Last edited by isa0005; March 22, 2018 at 08:30 AM.

Default Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Thanks for the kind words, I hope this mod will be worth playing when I finish. It did start out as a personal project, after all.

I haven't gotten to editing any campaign map stuff yet and to be honest, I don't know how to do any of that as of now. I will get to that later, but the first release will be for custom battles only (unless you want to play as the Koreans on the Iberian peninsula ). I'm not sure if I'll do regional campaigns here either, but I might think of it later. I am on the Colonies & Empires team, though, and we're doing an Americas mod over there. I'll make sure to make whatever I make free to use by other modders if they want to do any of that stuff. It only seems fitting since I'm using a lot of assets from already released mods that gave me permission to use their work.

I do want to keep the Roman aesthetic and I don't want to add any more units to their roster (limited space), but I might add some elements of plate as armour upgrades sometime later since I'm not opposed to adding a few ahistorical elements if it's reasonable. It depends on whether it looks cool or not.

I do want to overhaul a lot of the 2D assets (mostly unit cards and faction icons) and the music (one of the East Asian tracks is a scratchy and stuttery mess) sometime later. I listen to a lot of music while I'm working on this and I know quite a few would fit nicely.

All the things I mentioned would be easier if I had some help, and I'd gladly accept someone who would be willing to lend a hand with that.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; March 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Some Jurchen units. I might keep some of the current ones because they're pretty well-made, but here are a few new ones. To differentiate them from the Mongols, they'll mostly use brown, white, and blue. In general, the Jurchens will be more infantry-focused than the Mongols and their roster will promote a more defensive playstyle.

Lubchiten: A levy-tier horse archer unit that's also shared with the Mongols.
    Alixi: A professional spear unit that's unique to the Jurchens. Alixi is a term used to describe lower/middle-ranking Jurchen soldiers.
    Iron Pagodas/Iron Buddhas: An elite heavy infantry and cavalry unit unique to the Jurchens, respectively. The Iron Pagodas (also called Iron Buddhas) were a cataphract-like cavalry unit fielded by the Jurchens that also often fought on foot.
    Credits to Rusichi: Total War and Bellum Crucis for assets.

EDIT: One more, because why not?

Levy Spearmen (East Asian): It's definitely harder to get a generic East Asian look that will work for different factions, but here's what I came up with. This unit will be shared between the Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Koreans, with faction-specific recolours.
    Thanks to the Shaoding team for assets.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; March 23, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Amazing-looking units as always dude. Can't wait to see the finished product!

3 years later....

One more quick preview before I go silent for some time again. Goryeo was definitely one of the hardest factions to research (not as hard as Srivijaya though, hence my decision to replace them with Goryeo) since there's not a lot of accurate information out there. A lot of pictures that I find mix up the dynasties (I kept being shown Joseon-era soldiers even though the picture was labelled as Goryeo), but I think I ended up with enough to work with. Here's what I used for reference:

These are Korean levies fighting for the Mongols during their invasion of Japan. Yes, that's a grenade near the top. I'll be adding those to Goryeo's roster too.

Apparently, pre-Joseon Korea did field some heavy cavalry
    Now for the actual units that I made so far:

Sinbogun (Spearmen): A decently-armoured early-period professional spear/shield unit that's roughly on-par with European and Chinese units at the same tier.
    Gaemamusa (Heavy Cavalry): To be completely honest, I'm not sure if they're actually from Goryeo because I see some conflicting sources that suggest that they may be from an earlier dynasty. In any case, they'll be similar to early-period European knights (stat-wise) since they are described as very heavily-armoured cataphracts. They sounded too cool not to add.
    I didn't make armour upgrades yet, but when you upgrade the Goryeo units, they'll have a more distinct Joseon appearance. Joseon units will also be added in the later periods to help pad out their roster and to depict changing times and whatnot.

Credits to Rusichi, Shaoding, Bellum Crucis, and Asia Empires for assets.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; March 29, 2018 at 10:01 PM.

Truly great work, this looks astonishing, i can't wait to play it
    Thank you very much for your work and passion, Falcom is one of the best Medieval II mods, and to see that someone loves it as much as i do, it's simply great
    If you need help with textures or models, just tell me, i'll be glad to help how i can

Thanks for the words, I definitely could use a hand with this. It is a lot of work for one person after all, even when I'm building off of Falcom's work.

People who can edit the campaign and factions themselves are who I'm looking for most (because I hardly know anything about how to do that), but any kind of help is useful and appreciated.

If there's anything in particular, you can send me a PM.

EDIT: Cossacks! These guys will be recruitable by both Novgorod and the Cumans as higher-tier skirmishers.

Kazaki (Horse Archers): Early-period Cossacks that don't wear much armour, but shoot well and move quickly. Kazaki is the Russian name for them. They have a sword and shield for melee.
    Promyshlinnki (Arquebusiers): Late-period Cossacks with arquebuses. They use a sword and shield in melee. The promyshlinniki were a group of Russian fur hunters made up of Cossacks and Siberians that took part in the fur trade in Europe (and later the Americas).
    Thanks to Rusichi: Total War, Bellum Crucis, and the Asia Empires team for assets.

And yes, this is a sign that I'm working on the Cumans. I don't think they're worth showing though, since they're pretty much ripped straight from Rusichi with minimal changes.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; April 04, 2018 at 06:18 PM.

I've revisited Western Europe (which is almost completely done, just wanted to redo a few things to make the quality on-par with my more recent stuff). Here's a few screenshots of 15th and 16th-century European units, including the reworked Chivalric Knights and their dismounted counterpart:
    I'm still working on the 15th century men-at-arms.

I think that should add vietnam and some south east asia

Northern Vietnam is playable in the form of Dai Viet and Angkor also fills in Southeast Asia. I got rid of Srivijaya because I couldn't find any visual reference for their armies, and their portrayal in the original Falcom was a little...incomplete. With the exception of the Purepecha (I decided to replace them with the Kingdom of Chimor so the Kingdom of Cuzco has someone to play around with), I'm locking my faction selections now so I can focus on finishing them all up without worrying about needing to scrap what I'm doing.

Again, the main focus of this mod (aside from well-balanced factions) is a relatively even faction dispersion. I'm satisfied with what I have now and I'll only consider changing things up after my initial release.

One more quick preview, I guess. I decided to redo the serjeants to make them look more distinct from the levies (the chainmail is not a really obvious giveaway from any sort of distance), so I added rucksacks on their backs. The archers/crossbowmen will also use belt quivers, while their levy counterparts will still use back quivers. Hopefully you guys think that they look cooler like this, or at least easier to identify from far away. They also have snazzy new boots, which the levies will also get.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the idea of me asking for a hosted forum? Falcom is inactive now so I doubt that I can get a subforum here, and these previews are getting a little cluttered and unorganized.

Huge thanks to Buckethell for offering to help me out with the campaign map. That's one less thing that I need to worry about.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; April 12, 2018 at 08:53 PM.