Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Well I guess everyone lifts lol
    By the way, I'm liking the two-handed spears. That animation isn't used very much in most mods, which is a shame.
    Maybe the level of armour could make everyone more built?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

I really like the two-handed spear animations (with the exception of the charging animation) and it's a shame that vanilla doesn't use them at all. Most mods give them the spearwall formation which makes their animations different too; I'm only giving more disciplined units the spearwall to avoid having them trample over their spear/shield counterparts that don't have it.

I think I reached a final product for the Khmer levy units; it's a mix of shirtless and shirted guys (though mostly shirted) and I lessened the likelihood of them wearing a hat from 50% to 33.3%; they existed and were worn by the Khmers at this time (according to eyewitness accounts from China; can't post the picture that I used for reference here because it contains nudity), but it wasn't nearly as common as in, say, Vietnam or Japan. I also know that a lot of diehard history buffs aren't a fan of the thing where every pre-modern guy has things wrapped around his wrists, but in this case, it helps hide the crappy job that I did there.
    The Khmers were the faction that I was looking most forward to playing as when I first downloaded this mod.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; August 05, 2018 at 07:00 PM.

The wrist thingys look cool tho. I mean if I were some pre-modern Grug I'd definitely wear them all the time lol
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

I come with good new, i finally finished 90% of the world, with script, resources, pathing, temperatures and heights too
    Only America is left to be done, i will add screenshots later

Keep it up, mate.

I won't be working on this for a few weeks. Partially because of school and partially because of another mod that I'm working on. This isn't dead, though.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

What's the other mod? I like your style, so I'm interested.

Imperium: Total War. I'm making the European units (east and west, including Russia), and it's centered around Renaissance Europe.

Most of the units are just going to be the ones I'm already using here, but there will be some different ones thanks to a shorter timeframe and smaller scale. Various Italian city-states, for one; my version of the Papal States here is going to try and be a "blanket" that covers other factions like Genoa (crossbowmen) and Venice (stradioti).

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

Cool, I'll check it out.

I guess it's been a while. Here are some more Khmer/Ayutthaya units:

This mod looks awesome, i cant wait to try it out!

Very nice!

That was a lot longer than I thought. Here are some late medieval and Renaissance French units (well, armour upgrades for previous units):

I'll be quiet on here for a while since I'm refocusing my efforts on other mods. On the bright side, most of the models I'm making there will also be used here, so expect a lot of 16th century European units the next time I remember to post another mini-preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal.Pigeon View Post
    One more quick preview before I go silent for some time again. Goryeo was definitely one of the hardest factions to research (not as hard as Srivijaya though, hence my decision to replace them with Goryeo) since there's not a lot of accurate information out there. A lot of pictures that I find mix up the dynasties (I kept being shown Joseon-era soldiers even though the picture was labelled as Goryeo), but I think I ended up with enough to work with. Here's what I used for reference:

These are Korean levies fighting for the Mongols during their invasion of Japan. Yes, that's a grenade near the top. I'll be adding those to Goryeo's roster too.

Apparently, pre-Joseon Korea did field some heavy cavalry
    Now for the actual units that I made so far:

Sinbogun (Spearmen): A decently-armoured early-period professional spear/shield unit that's roughly on-par with European and Chinese units at the same tier.
    Gaemamusa (Heavy Cavalry): To be completely honest, I'm not sure if they're actually from Goryeo because I see some conflicting sources that suggest that they may be from an earlier dynasty. In any case, they'll be similar to early-period European knights (stat-wise) since they are described as very heavily-armoured cataphracts. They sounded too cool not to add.
    I didn't make armour upgrades yet, but when you upgrade the Goryeo units, they'll have a more distinct Joseon appearance. Joseon units will also be added in the later periods to help pad out their roster and to depict changing times and whatnot.

Credits to Rusichi, Shaoding, Bellum Crucis, and Asia Empires for assets.

Nice job on Goryeo. I've posted some research info in the AUH public threads. There's also a specific Goryeo unit made for another Chinese mod called Manjianghong/River of Blood. Let me know if you want the link to that one.

I had a look at the AUH threads, which also helped a lot for Dai Viet (especially because I haven't been able to get permission to use their units). Glad to see that my attempt at Goryeo troops has approval from you, since you seem to be well-learned in this field; I'm guessing that the somewhat generic lamellar I gave the Sinbogun works well enough?

If you could show me what that unit looks like, that would be great. Goryeo and Dai Viet are the hardest factions for me to put together as of now.

I had a look at the AUH threads, which also helped a lot for Dai Viet (especially because I haven't been able to get permission to use their units). Glad to see that my attempt at Goryeo troops has approval from you, since you seem to be well-learned in this field; I'm guessing that the somewhat generic lamellar I gave the Sinbogun works well enough?

If you could show me what that unit looks like, that would be great. Goryeo and Dai Viet are the hardest factions for me to put together as of now.

I know the Dai Viet assets are in a Chinese mod somewhere I forgot where to download it... although getting permission from YeluDashi is difficult since he isn't always active.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ai-Viet/page51

Regarding the Goryeo stuff I posted a lot in around pages 10-11 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Goryeo/page11

In fact your cataphracts kind of look like that unit they made too

I have the Dai Viet models downloaded on my computer since slightly edited versions of them are used in Asia Empires. I've taken some cues from AUH (the hats and some of the "swordsmen" using sickles, for example), but even just the faction discussion thread was a great resource.

If the cataphracts look similar, hopefully that means that I'm on the right track and also that it wouldn't hurt to keep them in the mod. I'm also assuming that the chainmail would be best as an upgrade to the spearmen, followed by two more Joseon-era models?

I have the Dai Viet models downloaded on my computer since slightly edited versions of them are used in Asia Empires. I've taken some cues from AUH (the hats and some of the "swordsmen" using sickles, for example), but even just the faction discussion thread was a great resource.

If the cataphracts look similar, hopefully that means that I'm on the right track and also that it wouldn't hurt to keep them in the mod. I'm also assuming that the chainmail would be best as an upgrade to the spearmen, followed by two more Joseon-era models?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14592743

I'd say brigandine instead of chainmail is the upgrade as between Goryeo and Joseon this is what the troops started to look like. The officers had a chainmail/"mountain mail" kind of armor.

Also for the heck of it I'll toss in Ryukuan soldiers from 1609 in case you ever want to do a AOR unit for the Ryukuan islands. I know the old version of Falcom had a Ryukuan faction. They look like a cross between Japanese and Chinese soldiers.

Last edited by IGdood; November 30, 2018 at 11:29 PM.

Miles

If you need any help with research regarding the appearance of units from the Malian and Abyssinian Empires, I would be more than happy to oblige.

On units for the Malian Empire, the only depictions of its soldiers that I could find from the 13th to 17th centuries are some terracotta statues from town of Djenne in Mali. Although while they are heavily stylised, I do think that they are quite useful in depicting a basic image of what a soldier of the Malian Empire would have looked like.

@IGdood: Yeah, I planned on having one or two Ryukyuan units as AoR/mercenaries (one using a sword and shield, probably, to make the defending rebel garrison interesting). Thanks for those pics; I'll make good use of them even though they'll be a bit anachronistic for the start of the campaign.

@RandomPerson2000: These could definitely be useful, particularly for the lower tier units. Especially the second one with the body ornamentation. Thanks, but it'll be quite some time before I probably even start on those two factions.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 01, 2018 at 07:21 PM.

Miles

Just wondering did you get rid of the East African mercenary unit found in the main version of Falcon total war, perhaps it could be replaced by the Ruga Ruga who often served as mercenaries around Eastern Africa. Although from what I could find, they were only first used during the early 19th century by Nyamwezi chieftains, I wouldn't find their inclusion exactly too out out of place considering that they would later serve as local troops for colonial powers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruga-Ruga