Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Default Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

NOTE: I am not actively updating this forum page anymore (it's getting cluttered). Check ModDB for updates!

Hi all!

I'm working on a submod that aims to overhaul the factions, unit rosters, and campaign map. The setting is mostly the same, but moved ahead 100 years (beginning in 1204 and ending in the 1600s). Aside from this, I want to improve gameplay by rebalancing units, adding more stuff to other unit rosters, and by increasing the faction variety (mostly by replacing less important factions for better faction distribution on the campaign map). I'm also aiming to get rid of as many of the vanilla units as possible, so they'll take some time to make too.

It's not really anywhere near finished, but I'd like some input!

Factions (new factions marked with asterisks):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Western Europe:
    -Kingdom of England - English, Roman Catholic, Western European culture
    -Kingdom of France - French, Roman Catholic, Western European culture. Preview.
    -Crown of Castile - Castilian (also considering Spanish), Roman Catholic, Western European culture. Preview.
    -Kingdom of Portugal - Portuguese, Roman Catholic, Western European culture.
    -Kingdom of Denmark - Danish, Roman Catholic, Western European culture
    -The Holy Roman Empire - German, Roman Catholic, Western European culture. Preview.
    -The Papal States - Papal, Roman Catholic, Western European culture. Preview.

Eastern Europe:
    -Kingdom of Poland - Polish, Roman Catholic, Eastern European culture
    -Kingdom of Hungary - Magyar (also considering Hungarian), Roman Catholic, Eastern European culture. Preview.
    -The Roman Empire - Roman, Eastern Orthodox, Greco-Roman culture. Preview.
    -Republic of Novgorod - Novgorodian (also considering Russian), Eastern Orthodox, Eastern European culture

Middle-East & India:
    -Sultanate of Rûm - Seljuk (also considering Turkish), Islam, Middle-Eastern culture
    -The Ayyubid Caliphate - Ayyubid (also considering Egyptian), Islam, Middle-Eastern culture. Preview.
    -The Pandyan Empire - Indian (also considering Pandyan), Hinduism, Middle-Eastern culture
    -*Shahdom of Khwarazm - Khwarazmian (also considering Persian), Islam, Middle-Eastern culture
    -*The Ghurid Sultanate - Ghurid, Islam, Middle-Eastern culture

East & Southeast Asia:

-The Sòng Dynasty - Chinese, Buddhism, East Asian culture. Preview.
    -The Kamakura Shogunate - Japanese, Buddhism, East Asian culture. Preview.
    -The Angkor Empire - Khmer, Hinduism, Southeast Asian culture
    -*Kingdom of Goryeo - Korean, Buddhism, East Asian culture. Preview.
    -*Kingdom of Đại Việt - Vietnamese, Buddhism, East Asian culture. Preview.

Steppes:
    -The Mongol Khanate - Mongol, Tengriism, East Asian culture. Preview.
    -The Great Jin Dynasty - Jurchen, Buddhism, East Asian culture

Africa:
    -The Almohad Caliphate - Almohad, Islam, Middle-Eastern culture
    -The Mali Empire - Malian, Islam, Middle-Eastern culture
    -*The Kanem Empire - Kanembu, Islam, Middle-Eastern culture
    -*Kingdom of Abyssinia - Abyssinian, Ethiopian Orthodox, Middle-Eastern culture

Americas:
    -Āltepētl of Tenōchtitlan - Mexica, Sun God, Mesoamerican culture
    -League of Mayapan - Maya, Sun God, Mesoamerican culture
    -Kingdom of Qusqu - Inca, Sun God, Mesoamerican culture

And of course, the Independent Sovereignties (Rebels)
    Please let me know what you think! This is an ongoing project that I do intend on finishing and uploading (no set date though). Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated; that's really the main reason I opened this up.

EDIT: I don't know how I forgot to do this before, but I'm asking for help because even when I'm using a ton of assets, this is still a lot of work. See below for stuff I need help on. Just leave a message here and I'll send a link to a Google docs I'm using to organize everything.
    -Campaign Mappers: Changing regions, faction starting positions, etc.
    -Scripters: Stuff like religion conversion scripts and whatnot.
    -3D Artists: This is something I'm handling on my own as of now, but I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
    -2D Artists: Faction symbols, unit cards, etc.
    -Ideas: Even if you don't know a lick about modding, it wouldn't hurt to have some more brains giving ideas about unit rosters or whatnot.
    Here's a list of credits:
    Team:
    -Metal.Pigeon (leader; 3D artist)
    -Buckethell (campaign mapper)
    -TheVarangian (campaign mapper; does not have a TWC account but is active on Discord)

I'd also like to thank IGdood for his help with the (South)East Asian stuff.

Assets:
    -Asia Empires and Shaoding by againster and the DOMOD team (permission granted)
    -Bellum Crucis and Complete Sicilian Unit Roster by +Mr.Crow+ and friends (open source)
    -Byzantium Reskin by Arthalion (open source)
    -BETTER GRASS 1.0 and BETTER WATER 2.0 by DAVIDE (open source)
    -Broken Crescent (permission granted)
    -Byzantine Heavy Spearmen by LAca (open source)
    -Complete Byzantine Unit Roster (permission granted)
    -E2DI for Stainless Steel by cedric37 (permission granted)
    -High Quality Sky Textures 1.0 by Hereje (open source)
    -Falcom Total War 3: The Total Conquest by falcom4ever (permission granted)
    -Lord Calidor's Weapon Pack by Lord_Calidor (open source)
    -Men-at-Arms Armour Pack by Narf of Pickestink (open source)
    -Real Shields Project by nikossaiz (permission granted)
    -Rusichi: Total War (open source)
    -The Italian Wars (permission granted)
    -Vietnamese items by as0017 (open source)
    -Western Unit Overhaul by G|I|Sandy (open source)

Sorry if I forgot any!
    I made a Discord server for this mod so I feel a little less lonely when I work on it. I'll be a lot more active there than on here.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; March 21, 2022 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added a fancy picture

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Just wanted to prove that this is legitimately being worked on. Here's some screenshots of Polish units:
    Levy Spearmen:
    Woodsmen:
    Crossbow Militia:
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    Archer Militia:
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    Slavic Spearmen:
    Pavise Crossbowmen:
    Slavic Archers:
    Slavic Cavalry:
    Winged Hussars:

Credits:
    Rusichi: Total War
    The Italian Wars (Winged Hussars)
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; October 23, 2017 at 07:36 PM.

good work, nice to see some love for this mod

I pretty much finished the Polish and Russian rosters, so Western Europe is next. I didn't get much done, but it's been quite some time so an update might be appreciated.

Upgraded Feudal Knights/Frankish Knights (Feudal Knights ride unarmoured horses, Frankish Knights ride barded horses)
    French:
    Assets taken from CSUR

Polish Huszars (shields are WIP)

Assets taken from The Italian Wars and Rusichi

Again, suggestions would be welcome, especially regarding unit rosters.

Thought I would help out with the African unit rosters as I know they might be the trickiest.

Mali Empire:

-Peasants
    -Spear Militia

Early - After doing a little research, it seems the early Malian army consisted entirely of freemen (Horon) as the Mansa made it illegal for slaves to fight, The Horon were expected to arm themselves, in addition 3/4 of the infantry consisted of archers, just to give you an idea of what an african army looked like.

-Horon Skirmishers (light javelinmen with large reed or hide shield)
    -Horon Spearmen (Professional spearmen with large shield and light armour)
    -Horon Bowmen (basic Archer)
    -Horon infantry (same as spearmen but with swords, axes and clubs)
    -Kele-bolo (war-arm) - (Elite Heavy infantry - Swords & shields, mail armour & iron helmet)
    -Mali light Cavalry
    -Mandekalu Horsemen - (Noble Elite Heavy cavalry, with lances, sabres, chain mail and iron helmets)

High- Mali's military during its peak can be characterised by the transition from a citizen army (Horon) To a Slave army (Sofa), The Sofa were now equipped by the state providing shields spears, bows, arrows and leather helmets. Slaves were incredibly loyal as West african culture awarded loyalty with prestige wealth and eventually freedom, Its easier to understand the Sofa if you compared them to the Turkish janissaries or Egyptian Mamluks.

-Sofa Spearmen
    -Sofa Bowmen
    -Sofa Infantry (Javlin/shock troop with large wooden shield)
    -Farima (Heavy Elite Knights)

Late
    -African Gunners
    -Cannons
    -Bombards

Kanem Empire:

-Peasants
    -Spearmilitia
    -Kanembu Spearmen (Professional Spearmen - no armour, large wooden shield)
    -Kanembu skirmishers (javelinmen)
    -Kanembu Infantry (same as spearmen but with swords/axes instead of spears)
    -Kanembu Bowmen
    -Kanembu Cavalry (medium cav - light mail, lance, sword and shield)

High

-Begharmi Lancers (Heavy elite cav, quilted armour for horse and rider)
    -Hausa Heavy cavalry (Elite cav - Full chainmail and iron helm, chainmail armoured horse, lance, sword and shield)
    -Camelriders (medium camel cav)
    -Camel skirmishers (light camel javelineers)

Late

-African Gunners
    -Kanembu Musketeers (Ottoman trained elites - chainmail armour, iron helms)
    -Hausa Pikemen (medium pikemen)
    -Bombards
    -Cannons

Hope this helps keep up the awesome work

Thanks for the input! It's definitely going to help. I'm probably going to go to East Asia and the Steppes after I finish with Europe, before finally going to the Middle-East, Africa, and the Americas. I'm saving the Americas for last because I plan on using bits from Colonies and Empires (which I'm also working on) to flesh them out when we release it.

I like Kanem's roster so I think I'll take out either Tibet or Srivijaya to accommodate. It'll probably be Srivijaya that goes away, since Indochina is probably saturated enough as it is (Angkor and Dai Viet) and finding information about Srivijaya's military is really difficult. I like Tibet because they fill in a pretty big gap between East Asia and the Middle-East and because their heavy cavalry looks amazing.

There is the 500 unit limit that I do have to watch out for, but I already took out a lot of units to make room for the other factions. For one, the European rosters are rather tiny now, and I cleaned up the Japanese (also plan on making Mongols and Jurchens more similar). I still think I can spare some room for the African factions to make them more unique though.

+rep whenever I'm able to
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; October 30, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

No screenshots of new units yet (made textures for other factions' Feudal Knights but still working on the unupgraded model), but I do have concepts for the Tibetans, Mongols, Jurchens, Malians, and Kanembu now (trying to make all of the steppe factions feel distinct somehow: Tibetans will have better swordsmen and heavy cavalry, Mongols go full-on with the foot and horse archers, and Jurchens are generally balanced with good choices overall; not sure about Cumans yet). I also revised Angkor a bit and added a helpful counter of how many open unit spots there are (not counting ships or mercenaries) and how many more factions I have left to look at. No promises, but I'll hopefully get more screenshots this weekend or the next.

EDIT:

I got a bit bored with Western Europe (I'm having some grievances with one of the models and I needed a break from them), so I've been working a lot with the Khmers. They're more of less based off of the Khmers in the original Falcom, but their roster is going to be spiced up a bit more. I'm especially keen on getting elephant ballistae to work, but that'll take a lot longer than the other units.

I also found this image interesting:
    "Maiden Guard" heavy cavalry, the horses wear armour that is designed to make them look like dragons (although they don't actually breathe fire, unfortunately):

I'm also considering to model the Khmer's late-period units after Siamese (Thai) warriors, since historically the Angkor Empire collapsed around the same time Siam came to prominence in the region (13th to 15th centuries), similarly to how I'm having the Song Dynasty get Ming-inspired units later on (the Ming were the dynasty following the Song, if we ignore the Mongol Yuan dynasty). That would also give me more choices as far as the armour and weapons of the units are concerned. With that in mind, I edited my tentative roster for Angkor to hopefully make them more interesting and diverse as a faction.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; November 05, 2017 at 10:31 PM.

Finally, another update! I finished making the Western European serjeants and some earlier-period knights. I decided to keep some tartan patterns on the Scottish lowlander and highlander units, but most of them are going to wear "yellow war shirts." I also took care to have the helmets tilted at a slight angle so it looks more natural, which is a pretty small detail that I'm nonetheless kind of proud of.

Serjeant Spearmen (French):
    Lowland Pikemen:
    Highland Nobles:
    Serjeant Crossbowmen (French):
    Hand Gunners (French):
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; November 11, 2017 at 08:38 PM.

They look awesome especially those Scottish units

I had a lot of spare time this weekend, so I made a few Khmer units to break the monotony of skinning and modelling European stuff. Most of it them are based off of the original Khmers in Falcom 3, but with a few tweaks that I think make them look cooler.

In the early period, the Khmers lack a real professional tier of units, with their kangchivopol acting as a sort of middle-ground between cannon fodder and true soldiers.

Lompeng Kangchivopol (early-period 2-handed spearmen; the sword is just for decoration):
    Dha-Iwe Kangchivopol (early-period swordsmen; mostly the same as the original swordsmen but with shields on their backs):
    Since the Angkor Empire collapsed pretty early into the mod's timeframe, their late-period units are based off of the Siamese. It's a mix of that and some "what-if" units that will help round out their roster.

Lompeng Teahean (late-period pikemen; mostly a fictional unit, but it finally gives the Khmers a decent defensive unit):
    Dha Teahean (late-period sword/shield infantry; throws javelins before charging into melee):
    This is just a start, and I'm going to do a lot more with their roster when I get more time.

I haven't shown anything new in a while, since I've been rather busy. But anyway, here are some 15th to 17th century European units:

Coutillier: A new French unique unit, representing a 15th-century man-at-arms with a sword and buckler. Hopefully I didn't make them look too "knightly."
    Men-at-Arms: The new name for the Late Halberdiers. They represent professional soldiers in the 1400s, after halberds began to pick up in popularity. They're available to England, Scotland, France, Spain, HRE, Papal States, and Poland.
    Chivalric Knights: The full-plate evolution of the chainmail Feudal Knights, available to England, Scotland, France, Spain, HRE, and Poland.
    Unupgraded: Might have to shrink the shields a bit

Upgraded:
    Chivalric Foot Knights: Available to all factions that have the mounted variant.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    Noble Foot Knights: I debated not including them, but I like two-handed weapons too much. They're unique to England, Scotland, and France. They have worse defence than their sword/shield counterpart, but are better on the attack and have a bonus against cavalry.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:

Thanks to the Italian Wars team and Baraban's Late Knights submod for some assets. France is almost done, but England, HRE, and the Papal States need more work.

oh I very like Ly Dynasty because I am people vietnam. Ah You can do for Han Dynasty be not, My idea is to change Song Dynasty into Han Dynasty and at Vietnam can is Shi Xie or Trưng Sisters source here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%C6%B0ng_Sisters I can wait you change it in next version and I think that at korea can change three factions as:
    Goguryeo,Silla and Bakje and I think that it will good for this idea

Glad to see some enthusiasm here. I thought that Dai Viet would be a perfect way to fill the gap between China and the Khmers. Plus, I'm also Vietnamese.

Right now, I already hit the 31 faction limit, so I won't be able to add any more. The mod also takes place from roughly 1200 to the 1600s, but later on I might (emphasis on might) make one based off of Falcom's 1518 mod later on down the road. I'm a bit iffy on going anywhere before 1200, though, since I would need to make a lot more unit models- more than I'm already making, anyway.

If it weren't for those pesky 31 faction and 500 unit limits, I'd be able to do so much more. I know a lot of people will be disappointed that I didn't include a North American faction, but I want every faction to have at least one neighbour and ideally two or more. A bit of a mix between proximity of factions to one another and good distribution on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal.Pigeon View Post
    Glad to see some enthusiasm here. I thought that Dai Viet would be a perfect way to fill the gap between China and the Khmers. Plus, I'm also Vietnamese.

Right now, I already hit the 31 faction limit, so I won't be able to add any more. The mod also takes place from roughly 1200 to the 1600s, but later on I might (emphasis on might) make one based off of Falcom's 1518 mod later on down the road. I'm a bit iffy on going anywhere before 1200, though, since I would need to make a lot more unit models- more than I'm already making, anyway.

If it weren't for those pesky 31 faction and 500 unit limits, I'd be able to do so much more. I know a lot of people will be disappointed that I didn't include a North American faction, but I want every faction to have at least one neighbour and ideally two or more. A bit of a mix between proximity of factions to one another and good distribution on the map.
    If you are people vietnam please for me know your facbook. I like you do about three kingdoms more is do about Song Dynasty because I see have very many moders had do about it so I suggest you do about three kingdoms but have add some new factions as: Goguryeo, Baekje and Silla and at vietnamse can is Sĩ Nhiếp or Hai Bà Trưng this is my facbook:https://www.facebook.com/Chenshuimale?ref=bookmarks you can contact with me

I don't use Facebook and I'm not interested in doing any more projects as of now; I'm already working on several at the moment.

Anyhow, I finally got around to making some lower-tier European units. I tried not to make them look too professional, but I also didn't want them to just look like peasant rabble (that appearance will be reserved for the "Peasant Rabble" unit). While the serjeants all wear chainmail and/or gambeson, these guys will have just clothes and a lucky few will have gambesons, but no chainmail. They also have different helmets.

Scottish Levy Spearmen (shields are a placeholder while I find out exactly what I want them to look like):
    Scottish Levy Archers:
    French Levy Crossbowmen:

I also started working on the Papal States a bit, starting with the Papal Guard. This model is very 15th-century from the armour to the spears themselves, so it'll probably be the armour upgrade.

Thanks to Medusa0 for the Papal Guard model (I just changed the weapons and textures).

I not like euro only like asia

Well, I like Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas. So I'm going to work just as hard on every one of them. There's a reason that I'm making this a submod for Falcom, since it's based off of the same map and time period.

There are already some East Asian mods out there. The DOMOD team did some great work: Imjin War, Asia Empires, Shaoding, and Sigh of Empire are on TWC.

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Hey man, just discovered your work. It all looks great! Glad to see someone is looking to improve upon this already awesome mod! +rep and I'll be sure to follow closely

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I got a bit bored with Western Europe again, so I went to work on the (real) Roman Empire. I just started on their professional units right now, but elites will be next. Levies will probably be last.

Skutatoi: The Roman equivalent of the Western European Serjeant Spearmen and Eastern European Pavise Spearmen. It's the best of the three, but also the most expensive.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    Spathatoi: The sword/shield counterpart to the Skutatoi. The Western European factions don't get an equivalent until later on, but by that point, the Spathatoi will start to become a bit outdated. It's supposed to ensure Roman infantry superiority at the beginning, though.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:
    Mourtatoi: A professional archer unit that's also decent in melee. I didn't show this in any other unit preview, but all archers will sling their bows over their shoulder in melee. Aside from looking cool, it'll help you know from a glance which soldiers in a melee engagement are archers. Similarly, crossbowmen and gunners will have their ranged weapons on their backs and javelinmen will still carry javelins in their off-hand.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:

Pronoiarii: A heavy cavalry unit akin to knights. To distinguish them from their peers of lower status, they have the upgraded armour by default and wear cloaks; not exactly something they would've done in battle, but many Roman nobles by this time would've at least owned a cloak. The cataphract horse is a placeholder while I make a barded horse texture.

Cavalarii: A professional horse archer unit that's really just the Mourtatoi riding ponies.
    Unupgraded:

Upgraded:

Four more units using the same model are planned: a flamethrower unit, a crossbow unit, a hand gunner unit, and a pike unit.

Assets from CBUR (bow, sword, and buckler models), LAca (Byzantine Heavy Spearmen), paleologos (cloak) and CSUR (face model).
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; December 30, 2017 at 03:18 AM.

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Those all look great! They truly give off a medieval vibe to it, and I'm glad you're thinking about the gameplay and balance while making the units. You're right, the Byzantines should have some of the better infantry early period. That's one thing I was upset about in vanilla (and it was carried on into falcom total war 3): the Byzantines early period were not much different from other factions like Poland or Hungary in the early period. Their vanilla infantry units weren't even that available early period too, you got them around the same time other Europeans began building knights. I do hope you make it so the Byzantines are quite powerful overall early period, but become outdated slowly.

Anyway, awesome job, and keep it up

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast