Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Nice looking forward to this famalam
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

New idea: in order to make sure each faction has a reasonably full unit roster while being able to cover multiple eras, I'm going to make the most of the unit armour upgrade feature. Here's a few early-era unupgraded European serjeants. Upgrade 1 will be the same time period but with heavier armour, upgrade 2 will be 14th-15th century, and upgrade 3 will be 16th-17th century. The main downside that I see with this is unit names; I'll make a list below of the affected units. Hopefully it doesn't bother anyone too much. In the campaign, different blacksmith tiers will probably be "unlocked" at set dates to accommodate for this.

Anyway, here's some screenshots. Castile, Scotland, Poland, and Papal States are still WIP.
    Serjeant Spearmen (German):

Serjeant Infantry (German):

Coutilier (French unique unit):

Serjeant Pikemen (French):

Yeoman Archers (English unique unit):

Serjeant Axemen (English)
    Thanks to CSUR, Rusichi, Sandy's Western Unit Overhaul, and the Real Shields Project for assets.

Examples of units with name issues:
    -France's Franc-Archers will be available from the start as their improved archer unit, although historically they didn't exist until 1448.
    -France's Coutilier will be available from the start as their improved swordsmen unit, but the first historical mentions aren't until around 1445.
    -Spain's Tercio Pikemen will be available from around 1400 as their improved pike unit, although historically they weren't formally established until around 1534.
    -Germany's Landsknechte Pikemen will be available around 1400 as their improved pike unit, although the Landsknechte as we know it are a 1500s and onwards thing.
    -Germany's Doppelsoldner will be available in the 1400s, although the real unit didn't exist until the 1500s (the zweihander existed in the 1400s though)
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; July 13, 2018 at 02:10 AM.

I'm liking this "armour levels = era" idea. It'll also be good for factions that IRL die off within game timeframe (the ERE for example) to keep up looks-wise with everyone else without needing too many completely fictional units.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

A few fictional units here and there are somewhat inevitable, although they'll mostly be limited to arquebusiers and other generic additions that wouldn't be too much of a stretch historically.

Upgrade 1 and 3 for the serjeants are done. I'm sure you can tell which is which:

Castile's serjeants are ready too. It took a while, but I don't think they're mistakable for the English now (a bit of teal as an apology for removing Portugal, which is one of my favourite vanilla factions):
    And since I'm making armour levels represent eras, what do you guys think of something like this as the final upgrade for the samurai? I'm sure it wasn't common, but some samurai during the 16th and 17th centuries used European armour. Maybe as just the final upgrade for the gunpowder units?
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; July 14, 2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal.Pigeon View Post
    A few fictional units here and there are somewhat inevitable, although they'll mostly be limited to arquebusiers and other generic additions that wouldn't be too much of a stretch historically.
    That's something that annoyed me with vanilla m2, and even most of the mods. Playing as the ERE you eventually hit a wall where you don't get proper cannons, nor muskets, arquebus cav, pistoliers etc, stuff that basically everyone adopted because they were the way warfare was going. I didn't like the whole "well they didn't have them historically", no duh because they were wiped out lol

I definitely like the idea of plate armour for Samurai, makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: Oh yeah, would it be possible to add a rebellion script so dead factions can come back if a province rebels? It makes campaigns more interesting.
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; July 15, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

Yeah, I definitely plan to let factions re-emerge, although my modding capabilities outside of editing text and units is pretty much nonexistent. Maybe someone could help me with that later on.

Here's some unupgraded European peasants. The vanilla ones weren't colourful enough for my liking. I think they look generic enough to be used by the Romans and maybe the Russians too, which would free up a few unit spots.
    The torsos come from Lord Hamilton's Unit Workshop.
    And now for something else: the German reichsritter, in mounted and dismounted variants, as well as the French chevaliers. If it wasn't clear by now, I'm going more for looks and easy unit identification rather than pure historical accuracy.

Yes, the zweihanders do clip through the horned helmets. But I couldn't resist making them look as terrifying as possible...

Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; July 17, 2018 at 01:11 AM.

They would be fine for the Romans, although you'll want to put some historical shield patterns to make them look the part

Here's a unit dump for the Germans before I go quiet again for a bit.

Artillery crews:
    Serjeant Spearmen armour progression:
    Knights:
    Any suggestions for the serjeants' first upgrade? I feel like the jump from upgrade 1 to upgrade 2 might be a bit too severe.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; July 24, 2018 at 06:33 AM.

Is it possible to do armour upgrades on weapon crews? If so, that'd be pretty cool

I don't think so, so I just have to pick something that looks generic enough to work throughout the campaign. Peasant models are usually pretty good for that.

Same with elephants, but on the bright side, the factions that do have elephants (Khmers, Vietnamese, Indians) don't necessarily need different armour upgrades for each era.

Huh... yeah, now I think about it I've never seen anyone do elephant crew armour upgrades.
    Also something else I'm wondering. According to some sources, the ERE Kontaratoi used shields as well as long spears, more in the manner of a Macedonian phalanx than a pike wall from the pike and shot era. Would it be possible for them to have shields? I vaguely remember some graphical problems that were resolved by one of the teams working on a Roman era mod, because the vanilla animation wasn't designed with shields in mind.

Something I can do is assign a different model to each artillery crew, so I'll attach the 16th century levy model (probably will have a breastplate and barbute-style helmet) to things like basilisks. The first upgrade for the levies will have a gambeson, but I'm not sure about the second...I'm hesitant to give them chainmail which would probably look too "heavy."

About the shields: I considered adding them but decided against it at the last moment so the kontaratoi wouldn't have a shield bonus; they're meant to be worse than western European pikemen. Now though, I've instead decided to just make the Roman professional units all on par or better than the serjeants, but lacking a third armour upgrade to make them worse near the end of the campaign (armour upgrades apparently add more than 1 point to their armour stat; it's actually closer to 2). Europa Barbarorum and some other mods do the pikes-with-shields thing, so I know it's possible. If it's too much of a hassle to get working, I'll just put the shields on their backs. I've been meaning to revisit the Romans anyway, at least to touch them up a bit.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

Aww, sad about the late game lol
    hopefully I'll have everyone beaten by then though haha
    As for the shields, I know SS have theirs on the backs. They have big kite shields and they just add an extra point to armour.

Asking for some suggestions here regarding the Catholic military order/religious units. Here are the ones in vanilla Falcom:
    -Pilgrims (planning to remove)
    -Religious Fanatics
    -Flagellants (planning to remove)
    -Crusader Sergeants
    -Unhorsed Knights (planning to remove)
    -Crusader Knights
    -Great Cross
    -Templar Knights (planning to change)
    -Dismounted Templar Knights (planning to remove)
    -Hospitaller Knights (planning to change)
    -Dismounted Hospitaller Knights (planning to remove)
    -Teutonic Knights
    -Dismounted Teutonic Knights (planning to remove)
    -Knights of Santiago
    -Dismounted Knights of Santiago (planning to remove)
    And here's some that I've been thinking of adding, but I'd like some suggestions (though keep in mind I'm trying to reduce the number above while keeping it interesting; the + indicates crusade-only mercenaries):
    -Canons of the Holy Sepulchre (Jerusalem/Rome AoR; possibly similar to the Kingdoms unit)
    -Dragon Knights (Order of the Dragon; either a "scare" unit or a nod to vanilla Hungary's Battlefield Assassins...which I think are based off of it)
    -Order Serjeants*
    -Order Knights*
    -Schwertbrüder (German version of the Order Serjeants based on the Livonian Order, but the Papal States can get them too)**
    -Ritterbrüder (German version of the Order Knights, but the Papal States can get them too)
    -Catholic Fanatics (will be a mix of the Clergymen from the Teutonic campaign and the vanilla Religious Fanatics, functionality-wise)
    -Crusader Serjeants+ (since you'll probably have a load of Serjeant Spearmen already, I think it might be cool to make them two-handed axemen instead)
    -Crusader Crossbowmen+ (they kind of introduced crossbows to the Middle East; the Muslims called them "Frankish bows")
    -Crusader Knights+
    -Great Cross+ (might also be recruitable at higher-tier churches)

*They'll be a mix of Templars, Hospitallers, the Saint Lazarus knights, and one more order for most factions, but the Spanish will be a mix of the Santiago knights, Order of the Pigeon knights (which had very few members and a short lifespan, but pigeons), Montesa knights, and one more order. The reason for this is not only to cut down on the number of unit spots taken up by very similar units, but also to make the units themselves look more diverse.
    **Might just make them a reskin of the Order Serjeants, but I'd assume the Teutonic Order fans would enjoy this. Wouldn't be opposed to changing it, though.
    I'm also open to suggestions for mercenaries. My criteria is mainly that I have a preference for historical mercenaries first, then "neutral" parties, and lastly famous stuff from factions that I didn't include. Here's what I have in mind so far...kind of. An asterisk indicates a unit that isn't part of any faction roster (but I'll find a way to squeeze them into the custom battle rosters):
    Europe
    -*Écorcheurs: A sort of levy-tier sword/shield unit
    -Sibiryaki (Russia): Two-handed spearmen who are also in the Mongol and Jurchen rosters
    -*Routiers: Serjeant axemen, who were cut from the other rosters to make the German doppelsöldner more unique
    -*Huscarls (Scandinavia): Two-handed axemen
    -Landsknechte (Central Europe): Pikemen that are also in the German roster
    -*Switzer Pikemen/Reisläufer (Northern Europe): Pikemen; Switzer is the Old English term for the Swiss while Reisläufer is the word used by the Swiss to describe Swiss mercenaries
    -Doppelsöldner (Northern Europe): Two-handed swordsmen that are also in the German roster
    -Almogavares (Iberia and the Balkans): Javelinmen that are also in the Castilian roster
    -*Ceithern (Ireland): Javelin cavalry
    -*Galloglaich (Ireland): Two-handed swordsmen/axemen
    -*Privateers (Western Europe): Pistol infantry that are better in melee
    -Promyshlenniki (Russia): Arquebusiers that are also in the Novgorodian and Cuman rosters
    -Hobelars (Britain): Levy-tier light cavalry that is also in the English and Scottish rosters
    -Border Reivers (Britain): Professional light cavalry that is also in the English and Scottish rosters
    -*Stradioti (Balkans)
    -Chevaliers (France): Heavy knights that are in the French roster
    -Foot Chevaliers (France): Heavy foot knights that are in the French roster
    -*Landless Knights
    -*Magyar Cavalry (Balkans)
    -Kazaki (Russia): Cavalry archers that are also in the Novgorodian and Cuman rosters
    -*Genoese Crossbowmen (Italy)
    -Bohemian Crossbowmen (Central Europe): Improved professional crossbowmen that are also in the German roster
    -Black Band of Giovanni (Italy): Mounted arquebusiers that will also be in the Papal roster

East Asia (some trouble here due to a lack of "generic" stuff like Europe and a general lack of mercenary companies historically)
    -
    Bandits (not Southeast Asia): A sort of levy swordsmen unit, though given that the medieval Japanese didn't use shields and I want them to be generic, these guys probably won't either
    -Sibiryaki (Siberia): Two-handed spearmen that are also in the Mongol and Jurchen rosters
    -*Ronin (Japan): A heavy infantry unit using maybe a katana; the current samurai swordsmen use nodachi because there are already the archers and gunners that use katanas, but this could be nice
    -*Wokou (Japan, Korea, China): Light melee infantry that can hide anywhere; either a katana or naginata
    -Nguoi Thuong (Southeast Asia): Either light crossbowmen or javelinmen that can hide anywhere that are also in the Vietnamese roster
    -Tribesmen (Southeast Asia, Pacific islands): Light infantry that throw javelins before melee. They'll help fill the rebel settlements in the Pacific islands too and will probably be a part of the Khmer roster.
    -War Elephants (Southeast Asia): Crossbowmen on top; will probably be the Khmer elephants to save a precious unit spot (the Khmers look closer to a "generic" SE-Asian faction)
    -War Elephants (India): Either archers or javelinmen on top that are also in the Pandyan roster
    -Dali Cavalry (Southeast Asia): Medium melee cavalry that are also in the Vietnamese roster
    -Steppe Nomads (Steppes): Cavalry archers that are also in the Mongol and Jurchen rosters
    -Steppe Clansmen (Steppes): Foot archers that are also in the Mongol and Jurchen rosters
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; August 02, 2018 at 06:29 PM.

Somewhat unrelated, but I just had a cool thought. Something like the Great Cross or those Italian things, but for the ERE with a giant two headed golden eagle statue on top. Just a thought lol
    As for the mercs/crusaders question, how about, to save unit slots, you just make some of the lower tier (levy/local professional tier) troops mercs for the appropriate areas? For example, Longbowmen for british isles, that sort of thing. That way you don't need to use up unit slots on mercs that are basically reskinned clones of units already in the game, and would allow for more in-depth empire-building. Your faction lack good bowmen? Conquer England and use theirs!

If there's evidence of it actually being used (I don't mind adding rare things if they're cool and add flavour; the Japanese roster has mounted samurai pistoliers for instance and the Spanish are going to have blunderbuss cavalry), then I might consider it. Right now, I'm considering using the wagon things for crusading Europeans (Great Cross) and for our Inca predecessors (Cuzco and Chimor).

I am thinking of having the levy units and a few "unique" units as AoR for factions that don't "own" them (French knights recruitable by anyone in France, but the French can recruit them anywhere). I still want to spice up the unit selection by adding mercenary units that add something new. That's why Europe is so full of historical mercenary companies like the Black Bands and the reasoning for the Highwaymen and Bandits. I'll edit that post a bit, though, since I suppose it wouldn't hurt to cut down on a few more units.

Well apparently Constantine 1 used one, but I dunno. I just thought it was a neat idea lol. I would say it's definitely not impossible, and might be a good "what if the ERE didn't go straight down the tubes" unit.

I do quite like the idea of different units being recruitable in various places, but ingame it quickly gets confusing. Another whole-world mod does it, but it leads to lots of units (eg. every region has it's own pikemen, crossbows etc and it fills out the limit real quick) and quickly takes away the feeling of distinctness between factions. However, the idea of a few regional specialties being recruitable makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: Oh, and have you considered putting the crusader units in the Papal States roster as well, possibly recruited in the Church buildings? It'd be cool to be a warrior pope leading a global crusade lol

EDIT 2 BYZANTINE BOOGALOO: Oh, not sure if I remembered to suggest this, but those ERE pikes would look cool if their armour upgraded like the Roman spearmen do. Just a thought. Also one guess what my favourite faction is lol
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; August 03, 2018 at 08:43 AM.

I'll see about it. I am cleaning up the Roman roster a bit (they'll use the same levy units as the Western Europeans for one), so I think I'll have opened a few unit spots. If there's room, I'll consider it.

I think I know which mod you're talking about (Eras: Total Conquest?), and I agree that it might've gone too far with the AoR stuff for my liking; nearly the entire rosters for the Asian factions are AoR, which made playing as the Japanese or the Southeast Asian factions kind of dull. I was originally going to make this a submod for Eras, but it took up a lot of disk space. In any case, hopefully the factions here won't feel too samey.

I probably won't make the crusader units recruitable since I feel like it might take away from the excitement of going on the Pope's adventures, but I do want them to be retrainable. I'm also definitely incorporating the fix that lets the player declare crusades as the Papal States. Not sure if it was in Falcom, but it wasn't in vanilla.

I'm no detective, but I have a feeling that your favourite faction is the same as my favourite (European) faction. In any case, just like the European serjeants, the armour upgrades that I showed on the Roman units will be available for pretty much all of their professional units, with the exception of their unique "mercenaries."

EDIT: Here's a little preview on my reworked Khmer levies. It was pretty hard to find visual references, but I had a go at it and this is what I came up with for now. The ones from vanilla Falcom looked too happy for my liking and their skin was rather pale for rural Cambodians.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; August 03, 2018 at 02:40 PM.

I'm glad the special units won't get the same armour as the rest, because they look so damn cool. Like, bad-guys-in-a-movie-cool.
    As for the levies, I agree that it's best to have them as shared as possible to save unit slots. All you really need is European, Arab, African, Asian, and Mesoamerican. Assuming you have archers and spears, that's only 8 units. If you have Halberds and Crossbows too, that's still only 16 units, in fact 14 as it doesn't make sense for the Native Americans to have access to those weapons. Maybe guns too though...
    But anyway you get the idea lol

Yeah, all of the "non-generic" units for factions in the same culture group will look different, either with their helmets, weapon models, shields, etc. For instance, I've shown off the 16th century European professional model, and the Landsknechte and Doppelsöldner use a very similar model but with plumed hats instead of the standard helmets. The final upgrade for those two will also use a black and silver version of the plate armour.

There's going to be a pretty large selection of levy units; around 4 for each culture group including spearmen, archers, javelinmen, crossbowmen, and cavalry. There's actually going to be 2 Asian "cultures," because the current generic East Asian levies don't really work so well for the Khmers. Plus, they'll be able to fill in the rebel garrisons in Malaysia, Polynesia, etc. Here's what they look like so far (yes, apparently every single person in this mod has a very muscular body):
    Unupgraded:

Upgrade 1:

Upgrade 2 (Ayutthaya):
    I tried to make the spears look like they were made of bamboo. Hopefully it worked.

EDIT 2: I rigged up this as a possible alternative to the above. I was originally planning to use them for the professional Khmer units (unupgraded), but I think they look peasant-like too. It's still a WIP; I think I should tone down the saturation on the orange, but it's just a proof of concept for now. Perhaps a mix of the shirtless and shirted ones? From the limited sources I could find, they both seem to be just as historically accurate.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; August 04, 2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added Khmer levy preview

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires