Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Submod for Falcom Total War 3 [WIP]

To let all 30 of the factions have fully fleshed-out rosters, some sacrifices had to be made, and I axed out the peasants because, well, they're a waste of room. But if the Town Watchmen look too well-equipped and their name too organized for your liking, how about these Écorcheurs?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I'm planning on having them recruitable in taverns and inns, as well as available for hire as mercenaries. As their name implies, they'll also be a common rebel unit.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; April 22, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

Mod leader of One Ruler on Earth | Unit modeler for Colonies & Empires

U forgot to put the unit cards for them.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    U forgot to put the unit cards for them.
    I didn't make any and will mostly use vanilla placeholders for the first release, unless someone decides to join me and help out. The voices and faction symbols weren't updated either.

I love theese medieval units and i would love to see byzantine reskined , and you cloud make hussitic mercenary unit(s) for rebelion/mercenary but it is your desicion and your submod.

I have shown a few of the new Roman units, including the scholarii, skutatoi, and varrangoi, but they're going to be retouched a tiny bit (especially the faces). More on them later.

I don't plan to include any dedicated Hussite units, but two Bohemian units will be in the mod. The first are the píšťalníci, a handgunner unit available to the HRE and Hungary. The second is an arquebusier unit with the tentative name of hákovnice, which will be exclusive to Hungary, as many of the arquebusiers in the Black Legion were Bohemian. It wouldn't hurt to have them recruitable as mercenaries either, and they could make the Bohemian rebels more interesting.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; April 25, 2019 at 09:01 PM.

Swords are kinda expensive , And warhammer or some mace would fit for alot more

Swords of mediocre to average quality weren't that expensive or uncommon, especially by the 13th century onwards (the mod starts in 1204). Right now there's a 25% chance of an arming sword appearing, 25% chance for a falchion, and a 50% chance for an axe (25% light wood, 25% dark wood). Your feedback is noted, though, and I'll see to adding blunt weapons to the mix.

I've got exams during the next few weeks, so work is going to slow down quite a bit.

Laetus

Yes! These French units look absolutely terrific!

Love the way their armour reflects the different eras of medieval history!

Can't wait to see what you do next

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

A few issues with the name..

Serjeant: where does the spelling come from?

Hommes d'armes (unique unit) = men at arm (that's just a direct translation)

Coutiliers (unique unit) = what is the context for them? They look strange in regards with their name, since coutiliers were infantry units, not cavalry.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

congrats for your work

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    A few issues with the name..

Serjeant: where does the spelling come from?

Hommes d'armes (unique unit) = men at arm (that's just a direct translation)

Coutiliers (unique unit) = what is the context for them? They look strange in regards with their name, since coutiliers were infantry units, not cavalry.
    If you have alternative names, I'm all ears, but here's where I got them (and perhaps an explanation of the cosmetic choices):

1. Serjeants: From what I could tell, this is the proper old-timey spelling of "sergeant," and a lot of mods like Medieval Kingdoms 1212 AD use it.

2. Hommes d'armes: Would "Foot Chevaliers" or a proper full translation of that work better? I would translate it myself, but I'm not exactly fluent in French; my Vietnamese and Spanish are way better.

3. Coutiliers: Wikipedia told me that the French coutiliers from the 15th century onwards were light cavalry, and I gave them barded horses to visibly distinguish them more from the Men-at-Arms. I also didn't quite finish all the models for them yet; all the units are going to have a variation for the 15th and 13th-14th centuries (including the Garde Écossaise...I'm going to have fun figuring out their anachronistic look). I will admit, that 16th century armour doesn't look too great on barded horses, though, so I'm perfectly happy with swapping to unarmoured mounts.

Thanks for all the support, everyone!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

1- That's indeed an old English spelling. In French it would be "sergent", or better "sergents d'armes", which were bodyguards of an general or officers.
    2- "Foot chevaliers" would be "chevaliers ŕ pieds", but that's "foot knight", so it works if they are indeed knights.
    3- It depends on when they are supposed to happen then. Before 15th century, infantry, later light cavalry (but without barding then).

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Your French units are impressive, I can imagine enjoying battles with them, particularly the unique units.

It sounds like you're thinking carefully about balancing faction rosters, I like the idea of having to overcome gaps in your roster which will be especially challenging against some enemies.
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 12, 2019 at 02:25 AM.

@Steph: I'll get to reworking everything accordingly, although I do prefer the spelling of "serjeant" because I'm not a fan of mixing translations and it's a generic unit.

@Alwyn: Yeah, the vanilla roster is too big yet somehow limited in the number of useful units, I'm afraid. Most of the Western European factions will have pretty big rosters, since they all share a common generic pool with some unique units mixed in.

Here's a peek at the Mongols. They'll be one of the more unique factions gameplay-wise, in that they have really good hybrid missile/melee cavalry as well as foot archers. Their infantry is average, but they don't exactly have a flexible infantry roster. Later on, they'll get some Chinese units and their units can be upgraded to wear Chinese armour to represent the Great Yuan dynasty. I haven't gotten around to making any Chinese units yet, though.
    Sibiryaki

Duulgat (unique unit)

Khevtuul (unique unit)

Chinese sword/shield unit
    Will come when I start working on the Song

Steppe Clansmen

Merguen (unique unit)

Khorchi (unique unit)

Chinese non-repeating crossbow unit

Thunder Bombers
    Coming soonish!

Fire Rocketeers
    Coming soonish!

Hand Gunners
    Coming soonish!

Tanmachi (unique unit; Chinese arquebusiers)

Steppe Nomads

Some kind of camel unit armed with javelins; might give them Middle Eastern faces (unique unit)

Nukeri (unique unit)

Torguud (unique unit)

Baghatur (unique unit)

General's Kheshig (unique unit)
    You may notice that a lot of them use the same soldier models, just with different equipment. If anyone has any suggestions for ways to make them look less samey, I'm all ears.

Not sure if you've seen this yet but there's some 12th century material here

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...6#post15461906

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

All the models here look lovely and neat!

Another pretty large preview, this time of the Germans. While France is more of an all-rounder, the Germans will specialize in heavily armoured "brute force" units, but are a bit lackluster when it comes to their skirmisher and light infantry/cavalry options. France's heavy cavalry will be stronger than the Germans, but the German knights are still a cut above the rest of Europe.
    Town Watchmen:
    Serjeant Spearmen:

Foot Men-at-Arms:
    Armoured Pikemen:
    Landsknechte (unique unit):
    Work in progress
    Verloren Haufen (unique unit):
    Bachelor Knights:
    Work in progress
    Ministerialen (unique unit):
    Levied Hunters:
    Urban Militia:
    Serjeant Archers:

Pavise Crossbowmen: I'm aware that the pavises are anachronistic for the early 13th century; they'll be replaced with kite shields for the first model. They'll also probably be named Arbalesters (or Arbalestriers because I like France)

Píšťalníci (unique unit; shared with Hungary):

Matchlock Arquebusiers:

Men-at-Arms:
    Edelfrei:
    Reichsritter:
    Cranequiniers:
    Schwarze Reiters (unique unit):
    Work in progress
    Artillery Crew:

The Germans will have access to ballistae, catapults, trebuchets, bombards, ribaults, mortars, culverins, and basilisks.
    You may have noticed that I've yet to show off any religious order units. An "Order Knights" cavalry unit is going to replace them, as will a dismounted variant (Order Serjeants?) that will act as elite spearmen. There's still going to be a fair amount of diversity as far as the actual number of orders depicted is concerned, and here are the plans (each faction will have 3 variants):
    -French: Hospitaller, Templar, and 1 more
    -English: Hospitaller, Templar, and 1 more
    -German: Teutonic (2 variants) and Livonian
    -Papal: Hospitaller, St. Lazarus, and Holy Sepulchre. The Papal States will start out with regions in the Holy Land to represent the Crusader States, which sadly can't be a standalone faction. It also just feels wrong to have them represented by rebels.
    -Polish: Dobrzyń, 2 more
    -Hungarian: Dragon, 2 more
    -Spanish: Montesa, Santiago, Alcántara
    -Norwegian: ???
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; June 12, 2019 at 06:36 PM.

They look really nice

I'm at a bit of a dilemma in regards to which religions I'll include in this mod, so I'm going to ask you wonderful people for your opinions. The limit is 10 and here's what I have planned as of now:
    1. Roman Catholicism (England, France, Castile, HRE, Papacy, Norway, Poland, Hungary)
    2. Eastern Orthodoxy (Romans, Novgorod, Abyssinia)
    3. Protestantism (going to be a Protestant Reformation event where any Catholic faction other than the Papacy can convert to Protestantism, which frees them from the Papacy mechanic; kind of important since I'm planning to end the mod in 1648)
    4. Sunni Islam (Seljuks, Ayyubids, Almohads, Mali, Kanem)
    5. Hinduism (Pandyas, Angkor)
    6. Buddhism (Viet, Song, Great Jin, Goryeo, Japan)
    7. Tengriism (Mongols)
    8. Sun God (Mexica, Maya, Qusqu, Chimor)
    9. Other (Rebels)

Now there's one more spot open. I was considering either splitting the Sun God religion between Mesoamerican and South American Polytheism, or adding an Ethiopian Orthodoxy religion for Abyssinia. Shiite Islam is just going to be represented by the Other religion, since the official state religions of all these Muslim factions was Sunni Islam.
    I also have one more faction spot open, and I'll leave that up to you guys to decide, although it can't be a super unique faction (sorry, Zimbabwe and Ryūkyū fans). Here's the list of factions I'm considering:
    -The Chola Dynasty (clone of the Pandyas with one or two unique units)
    -Kingdom of Portugal (clone of Castile with one or two unique units; I'm hesitant to add them because Iberia is very crowded)
    -Kingdom of Denmark (clone of Norway with one or two unique units; hesitant to add because they had a very passive AI in vanilla...and because England and Poland already rock the red and white colour scheme)
    -Principality of Kiev (clone of Novgorod with one or two unique units)
    -The Ghurid Sultanate (similar to the other Muslim factions)
    -The Abbasid Caliphate (similar to the other Muslim factions)
    -Kingdom of Makuria (similar to Abyssinia)
    -Āltepētl of Ocotelolco (clone of Tenochtitlan, with worse infantry but better archers; predecessors to Tlaxcala)
    -Lands of Tzintzuntzáni (clone of Tenochtitlan with a few different units; Purepecha/Tarascans)

...and I'm also going to consult you guys about the cultures. The limit is 7 and here's what I have planned for the far future (first release will not change the cultures)
    1. Western European (England, France, HRE, Castile, Papacy, Norway)
    2. Eastern European (Hungary, Poland, Novgorod)
    3. Greco-Roman (Romans)
    4. Middle Eastern (Ayyubids, Seljuks, Khwarazm, Mali, Kanem, Pandyas)
    5. East Asian (Viet, Song, Great Jin, Goryeo, Japan, Mongols)
    6. Southeast Asian (Angkor)
    7. American (Mexica, Maya, Qusqu, Chimor)

Was also considering a Sub-Saharan African culture in place of Greco-Roman, which would apply to Mali and Kanem. I think the Middle Eastern culture is close enough for the Indians, but Cambodian architecture is way too different for them to have the East Asian culture, in my opinion. I am also not going to include a Native American culture, since during the time period this mod covers, it would make more sense to use the Mesoamerican village model rather than tipis.
    In unit-creating news, if you've seen the Roman units I've made earlier, they're probably not going to make it in the final version of the mod. Arthalion made some very nice units and they were finally released somewhat recently. I'm just going to do a small retouching of them to make them more in-line with the units I made, mostly by making their colours more vibrant and replacing their faces with the ones from CSUR.
    General's Athanatoi:

Skutatoi:

The final armour upgrade will wear Western European plate armour on their arms and legs, which is historically accurate. I don't want to add anything that would ruin their iconic "Roman" look.
    Lastly, I put together a Discord server where I'll be way more active compared to here. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions on there.
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; June 12, 2019 at 06:47 PM.

Miles

In regards to the empty religion slot, I would suggest adding in a unique branch of Christianity for Abyssinia, perhaps called Coptic or something else given its relative isolation from the other Christian states. Although if you want to create religious buildings that are unique to a specific type of faction that shares the same religion as other factions, lets say Chimor and Qusqu it can be done regardless if they're in the same culture or not.

I would also suggest perhaps letting certain factions like Angkor have access to religious buildings from multiple religions similar to what is done for several factions for Broken Crescent such as the Kara-Khitans given by the start of the mod's timeframe, the kings of the former had just recently converted to Buddhism. Not to mention the Mongols could do with a religious conversion event to Buddhism given that some emperors of the Yuan Dynasty converted to it and by the 16th and 17th centuries, most of Mongolia had converted to the religion.