Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Messalla and Antonius, 80 BCE

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Messalla and Antonius, 80 BCE

Marcus Antonius having waited patiently for the argument to die out moves to make his case.
    I do believe that a majority of us can agree the lack of a need for grain subsidies, unless things change I suggest we table the motion.

Moving on
    There is a
    matter of importance however that need addressing, and that is the state of the legions. For these long years the armies of Rome have fought for the republic, they have defeated tyrants and dictators, have liberated our provinces, and returned order to the city. I say it is beyond time we show our gratitude. Rewards should be given out upon position and time of service, notably grants of land to legionaries who have served the adequate lengths of time and honors given to distinguished action.

Looking around the room to judge reactions so far,
    I would further move to issue ovations for the victorious commanders of our armies. These could be timed to coincide with the return of the army in Hispania.
    If we are to make preemptive action in Asia as has been suggested we need legionaries with high morale and order. Our veterans will be rewarded,and the ensuing excitement will bring fresh recruits to fill the ranks.

This new army will of course need able commanders, this is a task I would readily take on. Overall I hold one of the longest military careers here, having fought from the Social war to the Civil War. I have support of many of the veterans, and if it is the will of this senate I would gladly take up a command again.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 22, 2017 at 03:12 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Messalla resisted the urge to cup his head in his palms. His colleague for office was once again putting the cart before the horse. "The conflict in Iberia has not been resolved. Why then should be choose to commend those who may as of yet be unsuccessful in the task assigned to them? Iulus seems more content to sack and enslave rebellious cities than to actually pursue Sertorius and bring him to justice. It is hardly praiseworthy behavior."

"Do we not already grant legionaries, upon completion of their service, a piece of land, a recent example being Sulla's legions that were settled in the south of Italia upon the completion of their service to the Republic?"

Citizen

I was actually recommending my fellow senator Pius for on ovation for his role in leading a successful campaign. My regard to commanders generally was referring to legionary officers and above. Whether or not Iulus deserves ovation remains to be seen.

My primary purpose regarding the honors is to swell the ranks of whatever legions we intend for this next campaign. While I do remember us granting land to those from the Civil War, I do not believe we held any ceremony or issued any official recognitions. Such action would be prudent now.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 22, 2017 at 05:00 PM.

"It seems a bit late, three years late, to offer congratulations for these events." Messalla added. "We must look to the future."

Citizen

Antonius acknowledging Pius's refusal moves on, taking an apologetic tone he continues
    I suppose all decisions look good in hindsight, very well, there will still be many opportunities for those worthy to gain praise and ovation. If it is the future we look to then, are chief concerns seem to be our military support and domestic control.

Now rising to walk to the center of the assembly.

Regarding the military I see two points

a slight pause
    1)Firstly, the recruitment of troops and appointment of officers, for an expedition to Asia to combat Mithridates. (Wars cost Money)

walking toward the seated Aediles and the merchant block's be speaks
    As has been pointed out earlier, the treasury is already being stressed to supply our Spanish campaign, opening another front will put additional burden upon what coin we have, we must seek other souses of income, where these may come from I will leave open to the more administratively minded here.

moving back toward the center he now looks toward the former generals and commanders
    2)Secondly, What action should be done for the Spanish campaign; regarding its current progress and the state of its leadership. (Are we happy with how things are?)

My other area of concern is regarding the domestic issues in Rome

Looking toward the Tribunes and his fellow Senators
    1) What action is being taken to appease the masses and boost public morale. (Keep the people Happy)

A slight pause
    Many have pledged gladiator fights and games, these measures may boost the morale temporarily, but I have an announcement that I feel will provide a more long term solution

another slight pause
    I intend to renovate and expand the Circus Maximus over the next year, with a large amount coming from my money, as well as whatever else can be added from my fellow Senators.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 22, 2017 at 08:54 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Rusca stands taking one more swing at his proposal.
    "With the regards of the populace of Rome I have joined with Senator Cotta, and Procounsol Pulcher to throw games for the people of the city." Rusca begins, "I am sure the theater Pius is constructing will do much for the public moral. As for the war we need legions to be raised and a commander to lead them. We can not wait for the legions in Hispania to return and give Mithridates free reign in the east. I would suggest that Messalla lead them I served under him in Sulla's legions and he is an able commander and well suited for such a task."

Cotta hollered at Rusca's words "Hear hear!"

As has been pointed out earlier, the treasury is already being stressed to supply our Spanish campaign, opening another front will put additional burden upon what coin we have, we must seek other souses of income, where these may come from I will leave open to the more administratively minded here.
    "The notion of a tax on salt that has been mentioned in prior sessions of the Curia or leveling a tax on some of the provinces that are not presently in revolt or occupied by the enemy, with these provinces being subject to the tax once order has been restored could be potential solution to this problem."
    1) What action is being taken to appease the masses and boost public morale.

"Is there some massive issue of unrest in Roma that some of us are clearly ignorant of, Consul? The Tribunes have not mentioned any issues of the people or have there been calls in the streets for specific things, or any turmoil related to the ongoing campaign in Hispania. The situation in the city seems fine and surely news of Roman victories over our enemies will raise morale of the people..." The Praetor looks around, wondering where people were getting their information about these problems in the city. He considered replying about the renovations to the Circus Maximus but decides not to bother.

"I am honored by this show of confidence." Messalla stated. "And I believe I have already laid out plans regarding the conscription of new legions. Once the harvest comes in for the year I will raise a legion at my own expense. A legion should likewise be transferred back from Iberia. Iulus demanded overwhelming odds to deal with Sertorius, and even with such forces it seems victory eludes him for the second year in a row. I would request the 6th legion, the legion I served as an officer, be transferred back to Italy. The treasury must also be taxed further, with the raising of two legions. Lastly, Iulus must be informed that he will bear the cost of his own campaign, and not the public fisc. I will also pledge that after the raising of such legions, I shall maintain them myself from my personal funds or by booty from the wars."

Messalla knew how to finance and prosecute a campaign better than his colleague for sure, and certainly better than Iulus. In fact he was annoyed that Antonius seemed two steps behind him. He rolled his eyes as discussiononce again circled back to the seemingly nonexistent issue of domestic unrest and the sufferings of the plebs.

Lex Valeria
    I. Marcus Valerius Messalla will be given command in Asia to recover lost provinces and defeat Mithridates VI once and for all.

II. The state will raise two legions for this purpose, and Messalla will supply a third legion.

III. Legio VI will be transferred from Spain to Brundisium.

IV. Both the Iberian and Asian campaigns will be funded privately by their respective commanders to ease the burden on the public treasury.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 23, 2017 at 09:53 AM.

Callidus stood to address the assembled body. He had just returned from Macedon where he had left things in good enough order. "My comrades, I support Messalla's proposal. Often have I been at odds with the Consul, but I see wisdom in his strategy. It is clear to me that Creticus takes an interest in domestic affairs, much as I myself have in recent years. Messalla's skills lie in the battlefield. We ought to allocate our resources effectively, and this means allocating duties and responsibilities in the Republic to those men best suited for them. With four or perhaps five legions, Messalla might do what would require a man of lesser martial skill, such as myself, eight."

Citizen

Antonius deciding to respond addresses Calidus. While it is true I hold domestic affairs dear, I do not shy away from military endeavors. Do not forget that it was the military where I gained acclaim. But since the matter of domestic interests has been brought up, I have an announcement. My plans to expand the Circus Maximus have finalized and funding and construction are set to begin next year. Here is the expansion,

The upper stands would be raised a level and the gates improved, Instead of one main gate there will be two major; one on each end. There will also be four minor; two on each side. The four minor be named after the four greatest sponsors of their construction. The Primary one facing east will be the Fortuna Gate, and the westward one will be the Gate of Jupiter Optimus Maximus, so competitors may enter under the blessings of Fortuna, and leave victorious in the name of Jupiter.
    If any are interested in sponsoring this projects please seek me out.
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 23, 2017 at 03:07 PM.

"Seeing as my proposal has passed, I shall make immediately for the Campus Martius and begin organizing our forces." The Consul said

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Rusca rises once more.

"There is the issue of the fleet. Rome's fleet is in disarray and we have shipping and mercantile interests to protect. If we do not have a proper fleet to protect the the ships and the trading interests of the Republics merchants we risk losing the grain trade from Egypt. If Mithridates gains control of the Mediterranean he would be able to keep us from reinforcing and resupplying the legions in the field. It is in the interests of the Republic we retrofit and outfit the Roman fleet to protect our interests in Asia."

"I must rise to speak in support of Rusca. A fleet, an effective and mobile fleet, should be ordered with haste. As my colleague has said, we are jeopardizing the pantry of Rome if Mithridates were to begin raiding grain shipments from the Nile. With no food, Rome would be thrown into a chaos it has not yet seen."

Citizen

I agree completely, he who controls the seas controls trade. With so many of our commanders already in the field, there are few left to organize and man such a fleet, but it is a necessity for our survival.

To protect the republic I will raise such a fleet, and from my own pocket if the treasury is not able to spare any, though I would hope some amount could be contributed.

This fleet will need a second commander, for if one of us dies the fight will go on. Is there anyone present who would volunteer their services and coin?
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

"I do not know how much remains of the treasury following the mustering of the additional legions for the campaign against Mithridates, but perhaps a fleet of around fifty triremes to ensure Roman control of the trade lanes could be raised with public funds if possible, before any additions mustered by senators. I would also suggest whoever commands this fleet would shoulder the cost to maintain it, even though a fleet was not included in the law passed earlier this year."
    Last edited by Xion; October 25, 2017 at 12:31 PM.

Citizen

In addition to the 50 from the senate, I would raise a Hexareme to act as my flagship and 20 Quinqueremes. Would that be acceptable?
    Last edited by chesser2538; October 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM.

"I would also be willing to order construction of personal vessels myself within the next year should Rome require."

Gaius Sulpicianus remained silent. He had no opinion on the raising of a fleet either for or against, nor did he wish to captain anything related to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast