Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Messalla and Antonius, 80 BCE

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Messalla and Antonius, 80 BCE

After nearly two years if absence, Gnaeus Julius Iulus enters the Senate and takes his seat.

Gaius Sulpicianus stood once Iulus had entered the Senate "Conscript fathers, Iulus has returned to us from Spain having concluded a successful mission to bring an end to the tyranny of Carbo and Sertorius. The civil war has come to and end. Spain is a treacherous land, full of hostile tribes, deadly deserts, and dry plateaus. It is a theatre of war that some of our greatest generals throughout our history have struggled to overcome. More have failed than have succeeded there. Therefore I stand here and applaud Iulus and his efforts, and I invite the rest of this body to do also." With that Gaius began to clap, being joined by several of his allies in the senate. He awaited for the others to join in as well.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As senator Gnaeus entered Numerias was overtaken by an uncontrollable desire to clap.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Antonius nods to the victorious general and slowly joins the applause.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Mergus joins the applause.

As the cacophony grew, Gaius gave Iulus a knowing look. The man was now in his debt.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mettius stands with the rest joining the applause.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Sextus and Gaius Julius Iulus, along with their clients and the clients of their father stood and began to applauded as well. The now thunderous ovation brought a slight smile to Iulus' face as it roared through the Curia. He gave the slightest if nods to Sulpicianus, already pondering how to remove himself from that debt.

Finally, as the applause began to die, he stepped onto the floor.

"Patres et conscripti, the honour you bestow upon me warms my heart. The campaign was a bloody one, and we faced forces trained in our own style in Spanish territory. Hard was the fighting, and bitter the victory."

He turned, casting his eyes over each man.

"But it was a victory! Upon that cursed field at Osca did mighty Sertorius fall, with steel in his fist and his Grass Crown upon his brow. By droves did his men die and the city fall, though we paid steeply for it, in blood.

Upon that cursed field, however, we made a greater discovery. Trying to flee yet again was a man of great infamy among us. A traitor, a hostus and a murderer.

Upon that field we clapped irons around the wrists of Gnaeus Papius Carbo."

Iulus paused, surveying the room once more.

" I was served well by my men and my officers. Better you could not hope to find. Cotta, Rusca, Sulpicianus, and noble Flaccus who fell in battle, were loyal and faithful in their duties as Tribunes.

And I could not have asked for better Senior officers. Crassus, my loyal second in command. Appius Claudius Pulcher, who bravely led his men from their ranks, and Messala, whose bravery, intelligence and cunning I respected and rewarded well.

And finally, most notable of all, is young Tiberius Claudius Pulcher, whose gallantry won him the Civic Crown. "

Iulus smiled around, deciding that was enough modesty.

" I thank you, Conscript Fathers, for this Ovation, for not only do you acknowledge my skills as a general and leader, but also those of my men, by doing so. "
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 25, 2017 at 07:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123