Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.3 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.3 released!

Last edited by BHL 20; November 03, 2017 at 09:28 PM.

There's something that I've had a problem with since the earlier versions; specifically, horse archers. Skirmishing horse archers don't seem to behave properly; they start 'stretching' into a line away from the enemy rather than holding formation and automatically leave Circle and Shoot mode if you try to have them use it. What's causing this behavior?

Last edited by BHL 20; November 03, 2017 at 09:27 PM.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    Here's the change in diplomacy.xml labels:

Now:

Code:
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_0">Malevolent</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_1">Abysmal</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_10">Outstanding</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_2">Terrible</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_3">Very Poor</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_4">Poor</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_5">Distrustful</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_6">Adequate</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_7">Amiable</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_8">Good</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_9">Very Good</attribute>
    Then:

Code:
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_0">Abysmal</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_1">Terrible</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_10">Perfect</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_2">Very Poor</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_3">Poor</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_4">So-so</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_5">Reasonable</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_6">Amiable</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_7">Good</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_8">Very Good</attribute>
      <attribute id="RELATIONS_9">Outstanding</attribute>
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser101 View Post
    There's something that I've had a problem with since the earlier versions; specifically, horse archers. Skirmishing horse archers don't seem to behave properly; they start 'stretching' into a line away from the enemy rather than holding formation and automatically leave Circle and Shoot mode if you try to have them use it. What's causing this behavior?
    Which unit(s) are you observing this with? All horse archers, or specific ones?

572 turns H/H...halfway...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 572 EBII.jpg  

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Treason View Post
    572 turns H/H...halfway...
    Interesting.

How's the stability been thus far?

I recently converted Capsa to a Large Town and to so I had to previously (when in camp) destroy manually my "nomad herds" building, plant the seed of the top tier "farming building" and then the conversion was available.
    So I noticed that when Capsa turned into a Large Town, all previous Farming buildings were gone (destroyed automatically) and you had both "farming" and "herding" building trees available.

With the addition of pastoral regions my question is why not scratch the need to manually destroy the herds to begin the transformation of the camp? That way we may see the AI possibly transforming their camps into towns? Am I forgetting some problem that may come of this?

@QS #386.
    Very Good.
    After those initial hiccups I restarted the campaign.
    I think I've had 3 CTD's in 572 turns.
    2 were battle crap-outs.
    One just a memory?/ completely random shutdown of the entire game.
    None have been fatal or save corrupting. I've just restarted and carried on...

damn nice campaign, by that time i would have expected some more gigantic blobs, nice to see most factions still alive.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Artifex

One of our long-term goals with a lot of the changes to the underlying mechanics has been to make it both less predictable, and harder to hold a larger empire. Add re-emergence to that, and I'm hoping that you won't have the rush to a foregone conclusion by turn 200, as you often saw in earlier versions.

I have to say that, except for a corrupt savegame i recently had (need to start making several saves...), this version has been the most stable i have ever played.
    Kudos to the team and thank you everyone involved for all your hard work.

Is it just me, or time between turns is much faster in new version?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    Is it just me, or time between turns is much faster in new version?
    It should be, I went through the whole script making sure everything terminates under some condition or other (often if you're not playing a particular faction), and with rewriting of scripts culled over 200 monitors (from a total of just over 1200).

When I play i test lot of things, and time between turns is of them. I've got drops for some faction even for 40 seconds.. Average is 25-30 i think (Yes i use stopwatch..). At first I couldnt believed it, so I had to ask, because i thought that even more scripts are included, so I thought turns will be even slower. This iritated me much.

To conclude, this is premium fix.
    Thanks for all work.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    When I play i test lot of things, and time between turns is of them. I've got drops for some faction even for 40 seconds.. Average is 25-30 i think (Yes i use stopwatch..). At first I couldnt believed it, so I had to ask, because i thought that even more scripts are included, so I thought turns will be even slower. This iritated me much.

To conclude, this is premium fix.
    Thanks for all work.
    There are lots more scripts - but they're all much tighter than they were. No more never-terminating scripts that are eating up processor time without actually doing something relevant to that session. There are still a goodly number we're forced to leave open, but as you've experienced the sum total is less draw.

However, the battle script is definitely more processor intensive, since we added a wait into it that allows it to actually process reinforcements and such. I'd highly recommend not playing more than a handful before saving, quitting and restarting to clear the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Which unit(s) are you observing this with? All horse archers, or specific ones?
    This seems to be true with any horse archer unit set on skirmish mode, but I haven't tested it with many.
    The ones I can definitely say are giving this behavior are the starting Bosphoran units.

I've had weird experiences with fire temples (Âtaroshan) when playing as Hayastan. The first one was I encountered was in Ganzak (Âtarpatakan), but it vanished when I took the town from the Eleutheroi. I didn't sack the town or anything, just occupied it.
    The second one was in Persis, which I bought from the Seleukids (bought, not bribed). This one stayed put, thankfully, but that makes the disappearance of the first one all the more weird. Also, do any other provinces have these temples?

Also, there was a weird placeholder thing which appeared in Baktria after the faction got resurrected there. Or at least that's when I noticed it. It didn't go away either. It's a marker in the building list with red writing on it.

The latter is a rather common bug, and I don't think anything can be done about.

On the former, I think there should be 3 or 4 shrines altogether, scattered over Persia. Not sure why it disappeared, though.

Colos

Artifex

Yeah, the placeholder building is a vestige of when the faction re-emergence script goes wrong. It's supposed to be destroyed.

No idea what's going on with the Fire Temple. There are three of them already placed on the map, and the fourth is build-able by certain Eastern factions.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yeah, the placeholder building is a vestige of when the faction re-emergence script goes wrong. It's supposed to be destroyed.
    Hm. Played a few turns more, now there are two of them in Baktria...

No idea what's going on with the Fire Temple. There are three of them already placed on the map, and the fourth is build-able by certain Eastern factions.
    Is Hayastan one of those? Would be a possible explanation for the disappearance, although not a particularly logical one.