Page 73 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2348636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1667

Thread: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Default Re: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Great post 'Bob!

You should have hid your armies
    [winks] i did with the southern army group which hid in the trees but the northern group got stuck around carlisle navigating the zone of control slowing it down, and it needed to get near the coast to land on the isle of mann in 1 turn,so it had to get to the coast[where there was no tree cover], thus it was always going to stickout if you had sight on the coast...so at that point, hiding the southern group was kinda pointless [winks] but a clever move non-the-less , in dodging the blow
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

If you had hid the southern army, I may have considered defending Mann

DId you siege it or were you able to assault?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

had to siege it...the rules state you have to build siege equipment and artillery to take a proper settlement

Blog Entries

If there are less than 4 full units or less than 250 men in a besieged settlement, you must build a battering ram to assault. This applies to forts universally regardless of force strength.

This rule doesn't make sense to me. It gives the defender an advantage for having less troops, and is the only reason I haven't lost Castle Town.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

If there are less than 4 full units or less than 250 men in a besieged settlement, you must build a battering ram to assault. This applies to forts universally regardless of force strength.

This rule doesn't make sense to me. It gives the defender an advantage for having less troops, and is the only reason I haven't lost Castle Town.
    If the defender has less 720 men, a spy can open the gates with 60% chance, without needing artillery nor siege equipment.
    So the attacker must take this into consideration.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

basically the rule is ..expect to build siege equipment..the artillery you bring is basically to defeat the fact your opponent might have counter artillery in a settlement...thus you cannot do quick strike and take missions on settlments...and its more likely to slow big/multiple pushes on your opponent...this means the defender has to take a slightly different tact, and have defence in depth, ready to counter

Blog Entries

So, are you saying if I had 4 units in castle town, you could have assaulted? Because I know you had sufficient artillery.

no..i still think you have to siege as far as i know

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

England

"The Irish are content to float in their dreadful boats on the coast." the messenger said. This was the report that came daily, in some form. Anselm was happy for it for the stalemate gave him more time to draw more forces from inland. The Lord Protector took a look at his wartent. De Sandy and Lewes were huddled together over a map, no doubt plotting some devious plan. Anselm wasn't happy to have him here but likewise he didn't like him too far away. He had to find a way to deal with the last Lewes brother still within the Kingdom. The Lord Protector was disturbed by the rush of the wind. "Watch what you're doing." grumbled Jasper Lewes when the wind swept underneath his map sending it flying across the room. The messenger excused himself to the lords present. "I have a message for you m'lord." he said sticking out a sealed letter to Anselm. Lewes and de Sandy were eyeing him like a pair of hawks. Anselm raised his eyebrows. He laid the message on his desk, laden with much of the same. Lewes came forward. "Does the Lord wish to inform us of today's developments?" he asked gruffly. Anselm frowned. He didn't like Jasper's tone. Reluctantly he handed the letter to De Sandy who read it out loud. "A message from the mayor of Launceton. They say an Irish navy is coming their way, possibly carrying the missing Prince of Ireland. He requests assistance." Lewes clapped his hands together. "Pack our bags Paul. We're going to Cornwall." Jasper was on his way to the opening when he was called back by the Lord Protector. Slowly the rebellious lord turned back. "Where do you think you are going?" Anselm growled. "To assist Cornwall, my lord. My forces are nearest and seeing as the Irish are focusing on opening another front I am eager to stop them before they storm our beautiful kingdom." Lewes said. After an intense stare into the Lord Protector's eyes he turned his much friendlier gaze to de Sandy. "Ready the men Paul. We march as long as the sun shines." Paul de Sandy and Jasper Lewes walked out of the tent. "I FORBID YOU!" Anselm shouted yet no reply came. The Lord Protector slumped back into his chair. What a mess.

Ireland up: https://www.mediafire.com/file/v9t1p...d_107.sav/file

Blog Entries

I belatedly need extra. It’ll be done by the end of today. Had an exam yesterday.

Blog Entries

(Unfortunately I have no time for RP at present)

Wales

Pics https://imgur.com/a/bNR04vD

Montgomery has been captured

Edit Apparently I misunderstood the rules. Sorry meatpuppet but I have to replay this.

Is it completely impossible to immediately assault a settlement with artillery?
    Last edited by Aexodus; January 08, 2021 at 08:32 AM.

(Unfortunately I have no time for RP at present)

Wales

Pics https://imgur.com/a/bNR04vD

Montgomery has been captured

Edit Apparently I misunderstood the rules. Sorry meatpuppet but I have to replay this.

Is it completely impossible to immediately assault a settlement with artillery?
    Indeed, not possible.

You need Artillery AND siege equipment:
    Montgomery is a castle I think, so you need 2 catapults or 1 Trebuchet to breach the walls.
    However, if the Wales has also artillery in the castle (max 3 per settlement allowed), you need to match them in numbers to negate them.
    For example, if Wales has 2 catapults, you will need 4 catapults to assault (2 to counter the Welsh catapults and 2 to breach the walls). You can also substitute 2 catapults for 1 trebuchet.

Look at the rues below.
    You also must match the number of ground units. A tad complicated at first glance, but you quickly get the hang of it.

The only way to assault directly is if the settlement has less than 720 men and your spy has a +60% to open the gates.

Siege Mechanics
    To assault a settlement (aside from spy conditions), you must meet the Artillery Rules and the Equipment Rules. Screenshot evidence of following them is required.

Artillery Rules

Proper siege artillery is needed to take out a settlement's defenses.
    1 Ballista or Catapult
    can take out forts.
    2 Ballista or 1 Catapult
    can take out wooden walls of all types.
    2 Catapults or 1 Trebuchet can take out castles, cities, and large cities.
    Two Trebuchet
    can take out a fortress, citadel, and huge cities.
    Any Riabult (does not stack)
    can take out wooden walls.
    1 Bombard
    = 1 Catapult. 1 Higher Level Cannon = 1 Trebuchet. If it's simpler as an alternative, here are 'wall values' and the equipment for them:

Siege equipment may only participate in one battle and then wait a turn before being used again. Defending forces may include siege equipment in their own cities to cancel out your own assets (ie, a few catapults to make things harder). That said, it's poor sportsmanship to do something like throw 10 trebuchet in a settlement to make it nigh impossible to siege.

Equipment Rules

If there are less than 4 full units or less than 250 men in a besieged settlement, you must build a battering ram to assault. This applies to forts universally regardless of force strength. If there are more than 4 full units or 250 men in a besieged settlement, you must have a 1:1 ratio of ground units to enemy ground units (you do not need to match enemy artillery or cavalry in count). If this condition is met, build 4 ladders for a castle, five against a fortress, and six for a citadel. For equivalent structures (ie, castle vs city), see the above section. If a besieged settlement isn't big enough for ladders to have use, a battering ram is enough. That means settlements with wooden pallisades + motte and bailley and smalll towns. Ignore this section for rebel settlements - matching artillery is all that is required. You do not need to have both artillery and equipment in place to siege - only to assault.

Current Hotseat:

Blog Entries

Montgomery is a castle I think, so you need 2 catapults or 1 Trebuchet to breach the walls.
    That's academic because I used spies for montgomery. It's the fort that's the problem.

so, any development?

Current Hotseat:

Blog Entries

This is up tonight.

Blog Entries

meatpuppet's Avatar Foederatus

Honestly not much for me to do on this turn, Scotland up: https://www.mediafire.com/file/hna38..._T107.sav/file

Sorry for the delay guys, I had a particularly busy weekend.
    I will upload my turn tomorrow.

Cheers.

Current Hotseat:

King Hew looked in despair as the last of his ships sunk in the icy water...

He had expected this. He knew the Irish had the naval supremacy. But it had to be done.
    A needed sacrifice to ensure a safe massive landing in Northern Ireland.

However, this tragic loss of life did not bode well with the dissident clans on the mainland.
    Some clans have even gathered bands of rogue warriors and started roaming the countryside, recruiting more men to their cause...

But it is time to move forward.

Derry is the target.

However, after receiving news of the events in Castletown, with the Irish abandoning the island, Hew had a feeling the same will happen in Derry.
    Indeed, to the anger of the bloodthirsty, revenge-seeking Scottish troops, Derry was left empty.

The garrison fled south.

The city will fall quickly and the hunt will begin.

"Call in the messenger", Hew ordered, leaning over the map of Northern Ireland.
    ---

Barons Next: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8sh6t..._T107.sav/file

Current Hotseat:

Blog Entries

(Since this is an RP server, we should stop making references to Northern Ireland, as it didn't exist as an entity until 1921. Refer to Ulaid, O'Neill Kingdom, or individual counties. I last saw the Scots in the over-kingdom of Ulaid or modern Antrim. However, while the old name was Ulaid, but was then made the Earldom of Ulster by the Normans in I think the 1200s so before the Britannia dlc. However since Ireland has taken it back from England I assume we'd rename it back to Ulaid. Over in Derry you had at the time lots of Norman settlers but I think it was a Gaelic O'Neill holding, in a different Kingdom altogether to Ulaid. I put some maps below.

And that kids is why Ireland is tutorial island in CKII

Now if you wanna say northern Ireland with a small n, be my guest.)

Ireland 900AD

Ireland 1014AD - Note 'Oriel' is Airgialla or modern Armagh

12th century sub-kingdoms

The Dal nAraidi tribes fell by the time of the britannia campaign. It always remained Ulaid however.
    Last edited by Aexodus; January 18, 2021 at 06:05 PM.