Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176 ... LastLast

Thread: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

Default Re: [HS] [RP] Britannia: The Isles of Chaos [Vanilla, Britannia Campaign]

The people of Ireland have grown accustomed to the peace with the English which has increased trade throughout the Emerald Isles and the people thank their High King securing the peace but the King himself knows that the peace will only last another [2 turns] and fears that his people have forgot the horrors of war save those who went to Scotland under Art O'Rourke to aid our northern kin.

Meanwhile the envoys who were sent to request that King Magnus grant Castletown to the Welsh storm from the hall in a fury when they hear Magnus say he will not part with the stronghold to satisfy his adopted brother Inge.

The leader of the envoy was a hardy man and looked at King Magnus with a fiery gaze.

"What of my King, what satisfaction will he have or the fallen Welsh who are in dire need of land, I thought you were King not that bastard!"

Furthermore a further 1,000 Irish volunteers have landed on Scottish soil and march to join forces with Art O'Rourke who has disobeyed orders given by the High King himself.. [More info next turn]

Wales up - http://www.mediafire.com/file/wdtu6z...C_Wales_23.sav

Default Re: [HS] [RP] Britannia: The Isles of Chaos [Vanilla, Britannia Campaign]

oh I love cliffhangers! Nice RP.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The King of Wales - in exile - was not completely idle in the proceedings of world events. But, for the time being, he was a bystander. He had gained quite an edge for running the day to day events of a settlement. Indeed, he became so good at it that he had the acumen to manage much more.

But he was not a man to seek out an empire, so the best he reasonably expected to do with those skills was manage his provinces. And, perhaps, one day Wales again. When that day came, it would truly be all or nothing.

That day did not come yet. But damn if he didn't smell it in the air. Or perhaps that was the ruckus in northern England he was smelling.

Or perhaps even the Norwegians. Llywelyn had no bone against them, but he knew an ire was brewing towards them. In any case, he was a general in an alliance fighting for freedom in the Isles, and of course from Wales itself. He would do whatever was necessary to pursue that goal. His sense of honor had not slipped away, but it had cracked somewhat...
    Onto the Scots,
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...cotland_23.sav

As far as the long delay is concerned, life strikes folks pretty frequently, as it has certainly hit me lately. A little more communication would be nice, but sometimes life doesn't leave you many windows. So eh. We carry on.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; May 28, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    The King of Wales - in exile - was not completely idle in the proceedings of world events. But, for the time being, he was a bystander. He had gained quite an edge for running the day to day events of a settlement. Indeed, he became so good at it that he had the acumen to manage much more.

But he was not a man to seek out an empire, so the best he reasonably expected to do with those skills was manage his provinces. And, perhaps, one day Wales again. When that day came, it would truly be all or nothing.

That day did not come yet. But damn if he didn't smell it in the air. Or perhaps that was the ruckus in northern England he was smelling.

Or perhaps even the Norwegians. Llywelyn had no bone against them, but he knew an ire was brewing towards them. In any case, he was a general in an alliance fighting for freedom in the Isles, and of course from Wales itself. He would do whatever was necessary to pursue that goal. His sense of honor had not slipped away, but it had cracked somewhat...
    Onto the Scots,
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...cotland_23.sav

As far as the long delay is concerned, life strikes folks pretty frequently, as it has certainly hit me lately. A little more communication would be nice, but sometimes life doesn't leave you many windows. So eh. We carry on.
    Nice, thank you for expanding my vocabulary with new words such as "ruckus" and "ire".

Current Hotseat:

Dr Mac's Avatar Vicarius

Wow guys, this is an awesome read. I really do hope Isles of Chaos II can even be half as good as this. Particular credit to Paladinbob, this stuff is amazing!

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

reminder sent...

The Northern Shires held a strong siege on Fort Warkoth for some time. The King was called for aide by his adopted son and heir Prince Patrick, as was Eion Stewart of Edinburgh. The latter was cut off from reaching Patrick in time. King Alexander had recieved a message from Lord Simon himself, thanking him for taking care of Lord Godswine and for dealing with his Parliamentary Rule.

Alexander was still dead set on burying his claymore into Simon. In his eyes, his lack of leadership is what resulted in Godswine ruling his nation in his absence.

"So Simon requests war payments for peace?" Alexander spoke out loud in front of his advisers but mostly to himself.

"Is this man mad? He is one of two reasons for this conflict, and i already took care of the other one.....His death will set everything right again....." Alexander said coldly and bitterly.

His advisers looked worried, they all understood their King's anger but knew his solution was the ill one.

"My Lord, may i speak my mind?" Gilfred of Perth said.

"Of course, that is why i pay you isn't it?" Alexander sharply retorted

"Well, with the English marching North, some peace could be good for us to gather ourselves for the impending war." Gilfred tried to convince Alexander.

"Why, so we can just wait and twiddle our thumbs waiting for them to march with the Northern Shires and slaughter all of our people? I will not allow it!" Alexander got even more angry now , his temper reaching a livid state.

"Alexander, think of your wife and daughter....."

Alexander's sharp angry face suddenly went from red to pale as he thought of his young daughter Elizabeth back in Perth. He hadn't seen her face in a few years. And his beautiful love of his life, Mor, and Alexander thought of the Norwegians in the North.

"When you first rose to the throne Alexander, you told us how you wanted a safe country to raise your family in, and you wanted peace with those around you, We haven't seen that man in some time..... We miss him"

Alexander began to cry, not out of sadness but out of dissapointement in himself in who he had let himself become.

Wiping his tears and nose he quickly said " Tell Simon we will leave Newcastle at once, I head back up North to be with my family. And i will send him war reparations. We shouldn't be living like this any longer."

Alexander opened the next envelope on the table and it was from King Magnus of Norway, who Alexander was troubled with recently because of his fallback on a promise he made to him regarding the Welsh gift of Castletown.

"Why can't they be honorable like Lord Simon? The conditions of peace were very clear and now they want to play more games.... My family is in danger in Perth, with Dougall at the helm i worry for their safety. Tell the Norwegians we refuse the alliance proposal and will regret not giving up Castletown, for they will give up all their settlements in the coming years..........."

Norway up
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bwmk36mvr88n93t/TIOC_Norway_23.sav

"How dare he!!
    After his disgraceful treachery and betrayal, I offer him a second chance and an alliance in times of need, yet he has the nerves to refuse and even threatens me!!"

King Magnus was fuming.

"Maybe Inge was right after all, maybe I should have let him burn their cities to the ground!" continued the King.

"Sire, we have two full armies ready to go and we can have a two front attack on Scotland and annihilate them in few turns." The advisor was getting excited.

"No. At least not yet. Call in the messengers. My patience is reaching its limits. And NOT ONE WORD must reach Inge about the Scottish attitude. Do you understand me?"
    Magnus kept staring at his council as they nodded in approval. He was particularly looking at Inge's friend and former commander of Castletown, who was standing in the back of the room...
    -------------------

The Northern Shires are next: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2m7rhd..._Barons_23.sav

Current Hotseat:

The Summer of 1280AD came marching in like a lion [anime reference, kinda ] , and Simon was tired from the siege of Warkworth castle, as Prince Patrick was trapped within. The troops although tired from the winter march , and digging the siegelines/fortifications were still in high spirits, having every faith in Simon superior leadership and perhaps luck. The ever so enthusiastic Scottish King, although driven perhaps in his need for vengeance , taking Newcastle , had lead his forces, into a well founded trap ,as Simon had ordered the capture of Castle Hume , a few seasons before , and this had isolated both the Prince's forces at Warkworth , and the Scottish King, after he advanced at Newcastle, from further support from Edinburgh from Lord Eoin Stewart. As there was no great Scottish road , yet built, the main route of travel being through castle Hume , which was occupied by the northern shires. Eoin stewart could lay siege to that , or transverse the Cheviot Hills , to make the ford crossing on the tweed.

Either route , would be too slow for the Scottish reinforcements to reach the beleaguered forces of Prince Patrick at Warkworth. So the Scottish king was left with two choices, to let his son fall unsupported, at warkworth , and pray that reinforcements from Edinburgh would reach Newcastle over Chevoit hills[or siege at hume first], a feat which would be made all the more difficult with castle warkworth falling to Simon, or strike out to fight Simon at Warkworth , and hope the combined Scottish forces of the King and Prince could relief the siege.

[The Cheviot and Coldburn Hill]

This battle would not be easy , as the Barons army ,was made from veterans who had never lost a battle ,and with Simons military skill and recent armoured reinforcements had made this army group, the best the northern shires could provide , with more heavy knights, acting as supporting troops against the rather lightly armoured [and in some cases no armour] of the Scottish forces, the battle would favour the northern shires, which would have the potential to kill both the Scottish king and his Son. At worse, with the greater Scottish forces numbers, both armies would destroy each other, which was a situation neither side would benefit from , considering the English crowns forces ,were moving ever northward.

The Scottish king considering the better part of valour, accepted the fee of war damages , ending the war and begun to , withdraw his forces, in accordance to the deal they mutually agreed, although it was noted , that the Scottish king , ignored the northern shires request to disband both his and his sons, forces, apart from the noble highlanders which had been negotiated , a point the Scottish king wished to be kept , as they held special favour and promise to his honour.

[Earldom of Home]

The Earls of Home , who had originally owned Castle Hume , reported that the Scottish king , had not removed various troops , as per the treaty , and gave intelligence of the Scottish kings troops dispositions, that the Scottish kings army was in the midst of crossing the River tweed and passing through the town of Coldstream.

[bridge over the tweed at town of Coldstream]

Coldstream is the location where Edward I of England invaded Scotland in 1296. In February 1316 during the Wars of Scottish Independence, Sir James Douglas defeated a numerically superior force of Gascon soldiery led by Edmond de Caillou at the Skaithmuir to the north of the town. Originating in Coldstream, Scotland in 1650, the Coldstream Guards (a part of the Guards Division, Foot Guards regiments of the British Army) is the oldest regiment in the Regular Army in continuous active service. General George Monck founded the regiment. It is one of two regiments of the Household Division that can trace its lineage to the New Model Army.

But the spearmen , pikemen , horse, and catapults , still existed as units [from the earl of home's reports] which gave Simon a excuse to break the deal , if he wished it .

Simon however was tired of war , reaching his sixty years old , he was again, in the northern part of england , fighting [again] against another faction ,with mainly with one army group , against multiple Scottish forces. Indeed , he had wished for a speedy resolution the conflict, as he sensed that many of the barons ,were becoming extremely disillusioned with the parliament , and with the promises of the english crown , as they sought to regain there independence , and freedom they had , resisting the english crown summons in the south. Simon had no wish , to ruin his forces, against the scots , to the detriment of both northern states, for the English crown to sweep in , moping up and benefiting for little cost.

"Shall we strike this insolent Scottish King ?" , remarked Robert de Brus, "Godwine would weep to miss such a opportunity?"

"Godwine be damned!" , replied Simon , "The shires have paid much to reach such a result, and I gave my word, they would have free passage , despite , there ignorance of the treaty they signed? Perhaps there was a miscommunication in reading our words, as these scottish would find good latin hard to fathom"

By making it a joke , that the Scottish had failed correctly to read the terms of the treaty, the other lords , guffawed at the dig, their discomfort forgotten , as the Scottish king moved his forces unharmed across the river tweed.

"Disband the siege, let us ride for home!.... Home! ....Long have I wished to see York again. Let God and his works be blessed , I can see Eleanor again , and be thankful there can be peace once again", replied Simon , as the army commanders began to disband the camp. In the north, equally at Castle Hume , the northern shires began to pack up their belongings as the garrison , began to move back into traditional English barony lands.

-----------------------------------
    The Cheviot Hills are a range of rolling hills straddling the Anglo-Scottish border between Northumberland and the Scottish Borders. The English section is within the Northumberland National Park. The range includes The Cheviot (the highest hill), plus Hedgehope Hill, Windy Gyle, Cushat Law and Bloodybush Edge.The hills are sometimes considered a part of the Southern Uplands of Scotland as they adjoin the uplands to the north. Since the Pennine Way runs through the region, the hills are also considered a part of the northern Pennines although they are separated from the Cheviot Hills by the Tyne Gap, part of which lies within the southern extent of the Northumberland National Park.

The Cheviot Hills are primarily associated with geological activity from approximately 480 to 360 million years ago, when the continents of Avalonia and Laurentia collided, resulting in extensive volcanic activity (the Caledonian orogeny) which created a granite outcrop surrounded by lava flows. Although many of the summits top 500 metres (1,600 ft), most have a relatively low prominence. Only three rise 150 metres (490 ft) or more above the surrounding terrain: The Cheviot itself, Shillhope Law and Housedon Hill, a small northern outlier (see Marilyn). To the south-west the Cheviots merge into the Kielder Forest group of hills.

The southern Cheviot hills encompass the slopes running down to the valley of the river Coquet.

[The Cheviot Burn]

The Cheviot hills were the site of the Battle of Otterburn in 1388, and possibly to a separate bloody battle between English and Scottish forces, after which only 110 people survived, which is described in "The Ballad of Chevy Chase". (Note – the origin of the border skirmishes between Percy, the Earl of Northumberland, and the Scottish Earl of Douglas, may have been a hunt that strayed into Scotland and was interpreted as an invasion.)

Ballard of Chevy chase sung here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63iHtWiJKzo
    or just the lyrics :- http://www.raymondfolk.com/page/The+...hild+%23161%29

------------------------------------------------------

At Dumfries , the northern shires garrison had been lowered to the bare minimum , and there was little they could do , as a giant irish army descended upon the town from the north , after they had taken over a Scottish castle a little to the north . The isolated garrison had no knowledge, that the Scottish and northern shires forces had come to a decision of peace , and prepared there defences the best they could.

----------------------------------------

Parliament was immediately recalled after the declared peace between the two parties was announced , Barons rapidly moved to their seats , to hurry to hear the main speakers , as there was a buzz in the air about two new main topics which were to be discussed. The first subject that was to be bought up , was the relationship with the English crown .

"We have sat here , to long , for all the good we are doing ....The crown was making good his new territories in wales , rather than aid , his vassals in the north!What good is a king , if he stands too far away , and has arrived to late, to help! Why should we bow before such a Lord ? It seems rather a redundant thing to do in such circumstances." said the representative for Carlisle.

"We have two greviances , here. After Carlisle was taken by scottish forces, we wanted a northern force for defence, but this parliament is too slow a body to respond to swift moves of our enemies, are making. We demand , a central body , with the freedom to move , and defend our lands without dealing with parliament or waiting on this so-called king for help.We are the men of the north, and we shouldnt bow to any , that isnt our own", said the representative for Newcastle.

"We at Chester, have had no issues with this King. Indeed , he has secured our borders , and lessened the threat of any raids from welsh lands.Such a thing is a result worthy of a great king , who only wishes great things for his people. We did see indeed , that the King , has moved northwards , personally to help the northern peoples with there struggles. He didnt have to do such a thing , but he did it out of duty for his vassals and his subjects.", replied lord Arthur from Chester.

"Lancaster people are no strangers to conflict, indeed , we have had to fight most of lives, just to carve out lands , to feed and safeguard our peoples. Our people although not having a direct dispute with this king , feel ,that since the first wars with this king , over his responsibilities , and taxation , that this is not a king we can comfortably serve. We look to York , as the premier city to show the way, and if York is happy at any solution , that has representation for its people , to safeguard ours and our own.", replied the lord from Lancaster.

There was a small pause , as a clergyman delivered a message to the Yorkish representative , who read the note , conferred with the clergyman on a few points in a whisper , before he nodded twice , and the man of god departed, as the speaker from York , cleared his throat and perpared to speak.

"York , joined the rebellion against this king , in order so that we peoples of york could hear our voices heard. We have always had to bare the fear of attacks from the unsettled northern peoples , and likwise the expense of the defences whilst the king , held the bountyful lands of the south , ever safe , and secure. Favours of this king , had always been given to the norman lords of the west and south , leaving our saxon lands , to fend for ourselfs. What is the difference now?"

"We have fought and fought, and won our independence , but what shall we do with this newfound independence , but give it away back to the king, expecting a difference result? We here at York suggest a different path. For his historical victories against scotland , who outnumbered his forces three armies to one , York votes to elevate Lord Simon de Montfort as King in the North . As his second , we will elect a Lord Protector , as we would prefer to have our leaders elected from a council madeup of the main cities . This will make the decision making process much smoother , and rewarding Lord Simon , who the people , are proclaiming a hero."

There was great applauding for this suggestion [and others later saw the hand of the archbishop of York , who perhaps sought to elevate his own position, by making the northern shires a new kingdom , making his diocese equal to that of canterbury]. But others were happy to vote on the issue of Vassalship first , and the parliament became hushed as all considered their vote for this first issue.

{Rule 4 back at #461 , says that there must be a majority of states who are unhappy with the king, at this current time of the war, 4 of the 5 estates, give a negative result , therefore a vote can take place ...current modifiers are -3,-3,-1,-1,+3 for a total of a roll of d10 with -5 modifier....Admin rolled a "2". After consulting the results of table 4 it gives the following result....

"[negative number] - The people of the north , have nothing but contempt for the english crown . They resolve to dissolve there vassaldome , and have nothing to do with the king. Harsher peoples who have had there lifes changed to the worse, will formup 2 [half-stack] armies groups and ravage the english crowns lands , for if we have lost our goods due to the english crowns ,neglect then we can take from them , to recoup our losses
    ." }

The vote was passed with 98-2 lords voting in favour of ending vassaldom to the English crown . After a brief session were some of the lords regailed the nobles of the north , with the great deeds of Lord Simon and later a further vote was held, was given to elect Lord Simon as the new "king of the north". The clergy at York sent out messages to Simons army , to find and give him the news , he was summoned to York to receive a crown and his coronation. One of the elderly lords, of York had found , a ancient crown of the old Northumberland kingship , and jewellers , perhaps to make improvements to this ancient diadem , suitable for the new king of the north.

Unfortunately there was a slight scene towards the end of parliament, when the representative of Chester , threw down his papers , and shouted to the body, his disgust at the actions of parliament, as it voted itself out of power.

"Damnation! You are not fit to be true Englishmen , and servants of the true King of England , Henry!. We of Chester will stand by our True King and do not accept this bodies dealings , as somesort of manipulation against God's Will ....We shall not be party to such a action, and as such I announce that Chester is leaving the northern shires, where people have lost there reason." ,said the angered Chester representative , as he stormed out of the parliament.

------------------------------------------------

history of the mad parliament
    ===============================
    The Oxford Parliament (1258), also known as the "Mad Parliament" and the "First English Parliament", assembled during the reign of Henry III of England. It was established by Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester. The parlour or prolocutor (Speaker) was Peter de Montfort under the direction of Simon de Montfort. Simon de Montfort led the Parliament and the entire country of England for 18 months, from 1264 until his death at the Battle of Evesham.

[Heraldic shield of William de Valence, 1st Earl of Pembroke from his tomb in Westminster Abbey. ]

King Henry III of England had agreed with Pope Innocent IV that his (Henry's) son Edward should become King of Sicily following the death of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor. The Pope offered to partly fund the efforts to overthrow the Holy Roman Empire forces still in Sicily, but following Innocent's death and the succession of Pope Alexander IV, issues began to arise. Alexander did not want to fund the ongoing efforts, and should Henry not complete his task then he would be excommunicated.

As a result, the King sought further taxation to repay his efforts from Parliament, existing Royal funds failing to cover debts owed, even after selling Edward's lands to William de Valence . In the parliament in London on 2 April 1258, the great magnates' disaffection with the King reached a breaking point. An agreement was made to look at the issues of supply on behalf of the King, to which Henry and Edward agreed on 2 May.

At the Oxford Parliament on 11 June led by Simon de Montfort, Henry accepted a new form of government, laid out in the Provisions of Oxford, in which power was placed in the hands of a privy council, a council of fifteen members who were to supervise ministerial appointments, local administration and the custody of royal castles. Parliament, meanwhile, which was to meet three times a year, would monitor the performance of this council.

Henry agreed to these terms, and as a result a parliament consisting of fifteen was formed. These members included both Montfort, and Peter de Montfort, who acted as parlour or prolocutor for the proceedings. The remaining twelve consisted of Boniface of Savoy in his role as the Archbishop of Canterbury, Walter de Cantilupe as the Bishop of Worcester, the Earl of Norfolk, the Earl of Gloucester, the Earl of Hereford, the Earl of Warwick, the Earl of Albemarle, Hugh de Bigod, Peter de Saveye, Roger de Mortimer, James de Audeleye and John Maunsel.

[The Mise[a] of Lewes was a settlement made on 14 May 1264 between King Henry III of England and his rebellious barons, led by Simon de Montfort. The settlement was made on the day of the Battle of Lewes, one of the two major battles of the Second Barons' War. The conflict between king and magnates was caused by dissatisfaction with the influence of foreigners at court and Henry's high level and new methods of taxation. The Mise of Lewes was signed on the day of Montfort's victory at the Battle of Lewes, though it is not known whether it happened during or after the battle. Neither are the terms of the document known, though it seems clear that they involved conditions for further negotiations. These efforts at a permanent settlement fell through, however, and the support for Montfort's government gradually eroded. Henry's oldest son, Edward – the later King Edward I – started a military campaign that ended in the Battle of Evesham in August 1265, where Montfort was defeated and killed. Parts of the baronial resistance still held out, but by the end of 1266 the final besieged garrison at Kenilworth Castle surrendered. The rebels were given pardons according to terms set out in the Dictum of Kenilworth.]

The resolution of the Parliament did not last for long. The Pope excused the King of his obligations related to the throne of Sicily, meaning that he no longer required the funds provided by the additional taxation given to him by Parliament. The issue was one which was brought before King Louis IX of France, acting as arbitrator between Henry and the Barons at the Mise of Amiens. Louis made a decision entirely in favour of his fellow King, overturning the agreement made at the Oxford Parliament and absolved Henry's need to allow Parliament to appoint ministers, instead restoring that power to him.

This soon resulted in the Second Barons' War, with forces led by Simon de Montfort rebelling against the King. Following an initial attack by the Barons, Henry's feudal army was summoned and won a battle at Northampton. The forces of Montfort and Henry failed to come to terms, resulting in the Battle of Lewes where the Barons were victorious and the Mise of Lewes resulted. Prince Edward escaped his captors within a few months, and began to re-conquer England. The forces of Montfort found themselves trapped at Evesham, and in the ensuing battle, he was killed and his forces were routed by Edward's. The Barons continued to resist, but the Dictum of Kenilworth in October 1266 granted pardons, resulting in their surrender.

The parliament came to be known as "Mad" as a result of an entry in Liber de Antiquis Legibus which read "Hoc anno fuit illud insane parliamentum apud Oxoniam". However, historians Dr A.G. Little and Dr R.L. Poole have shown that the word "insane" was overwritten in the original text, and may have originally read "insigne" instead

for more information on the "mad parliament" and to actually view the documents signed see :-
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e...ad-parliament/

Captain Godwine , was a bastard of the family of the Godwine's of Newcastle , but being distant relation, sought work within the Lancaster army, and seeing the new rules , and resentment against the English crown, sought this situation for gain. The English siege train with two catapult's companies were nearing the Fortress of Lancaster. Seeing the force, to the south of the walls of the settlement, he rallied the garrison , saying such things as "The crown is coming to capture Lancaster!" "The crown is here, ready for vengeance!" "Safeguard the womenfolk and children, lock your doors , the king is here!"

Soon crowds of soldiers had appeared, collected from the garrison and under Captain Godwine's influence the troop exited the mighty town , and struck the English crowns company , whilst they had no idea what was happening. Soon the catapults were afire , the catapult crews began to flee the scene, heading back towards the estates of wales. Some of the men , ashamed at the easy-ness of the combat , and the lacklustre threat ,began to creep back to Lancaster, to seek the safety of its walls, whilst others had elected Godwine to a lordship , and offered to follow him.

Lord Godwine , took his new followers and began to track the catapult crew's escape route. Soon this new rebellious lord, had entered the estates of Wales , and caught-up with the catapult crew stragglers ,who had begun to rebuild new catapults from the nearby forest. Godwine and his not-so merry men , stormed out of the east , catching the camp by surprise, exterminating all they found. All but three of the crew,were killed , with the last three escaping into the countryside of Wales , where perhaps they sought a different life than being in the army.

His need for vengeance sated , Godwine sought perhaps, a domain he could call his own for himself , and spotted the nearby castle {fort} on the coastline . The castle was called "Flint" and had been constructed by the English to help defend the coastline and secure the lands of the rebellious welsh peoples , to enable supplies or further troops as required.

Godwine gave the nod , to a few of the less reputable people of his company to go forward to scout out the area , and get a lie of the land.

--------------------------------

flint castle
    -------------

There are some further great vids from the same vid above which shows the progressional growth of flint town from around the castle at :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjvkNWeE24 - flint castle and town c:1770
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfb99GUDeI&t=16s - same but for c1905

Flint Castle (Welsh: Castell y Fflint) located in Flint, Flintshire, was the first of a series of castles built during King Edward I's campaign to conquer Wales.The site was chosen for its strategic position in North East Wales. The castle was only one day's march from Chester, supplies could be brought along the River Dee.

Building work began in 1277 initially under Richard L'Engenour, who would later become Mayor of Chester in 1304. The castle and its earthworks were built by 1,800 laborers and masons using local Millstone Grit ashlar and sandstone. James of Saint George was assigned "ad ordiandum opera castorum ibidem"("Mason charged with the design, technical direction and management of the works underway in Wales" - including Flint) in April 1278.November 1280 saw the Savoyard master mason James of Saint George began directly overseeing construction at Flint for Edward I as the initially very slow construction pace was accelerated. He remained at the castle for 17 months. James of Saint George then moved onto Rhuddlan to oversee its completion.

When work ceased in 1286, Flint Castle had an inner ward and an outer bailey. They were separated by a tidal moat and were connected with gatehouse and drawbridge. A plantation town was also laid out beyond the outer bailey. The inner ward had three large towers and a detached keep. This isolated tower protected the inner gatehouse and outer bailey. In total expenditure, Edward I spent £6068.7.5d. creating the fortress and the town (£4.9 million as of 2008).Flint, which was sited on the western shore of the River Dee estuary, could be supplied by river or sea. Its harbour was protected by a defensive wall. The castle lies opposite to the English shore and Shotwick Castle in England. Before the river's course was drastically changed in the 18th century, passage across the estuary at this point could be made directly by boat at high tide or by fording at low tide.

[The isolated keep defended the gateway and drawbridge between the inner ward and outer bailey]

The castle is based on Savoyard models where one of the corner towers is enlarged and isolated. This independent structure served as both corner tower and keep or donjon, like at Dourdan, France. Flint's keep has been compared to the donjon at Aigues-Mortes, France. Edward I may have been familiar with Aigues-Mortes having passed through the fortress on the way to join the Eighth Crusade in 1270.

The keep is an impressive structure. Its stone walls are 7 metres (23 ft) thick at the base and 5 metres (16 ft) above. Access was gained by crossing a drawbridge into a central entrance chamber on the first floor. Originally there would have been at least one additional storey. These floors had small rooms built into the thick walls. A timber gallery was built on top of the keep for the visit of Edward, Prince of Wales in 1301. On the ground floor is a vaulted passage that runs all the way around the inside of the keep.

Flint's design was not repeated in any other castle built by Edward I in North Wales. The layout at Flint remains unique within the British Isles.

Flint was the first castle of what would later become known as Edward I's "Iron Ring". A chain of fortresses designed to encircle North Wales and oppress the Welsh. Its construction began almost immediately after Edward I began the First Welsh War in 1277.Five years later Welsh forces under the command of Dafydd ap Gruffydd, brother of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, besieged the castle in an attempted uprising against the English Crown. In 1294 Flint was attacked again during the revolt of Madog ap Llywelyn; this time the constable of the castle was forced to set fire to the fortress to prevent its capture by the Welsh. The castle was later repaired and partly rebuilt.

With the conclusion to the Welsh Wars, English settlers and merchants were given property titles in the new town that was laid out in front of the castle. The plantation borough was protected by a defensive ditch with a wooden palisade on earth banking . Its outline remains visible in streets patterns.

In 1399 Richard II of England was held by Henry Bolingbroke at Flint before being returned to London.

During the English Civil War, Flint Castle was held by the Royalists. It was finally captured by the Parliamentarians in 1647 after a three-month siege. To prevent its reuse in the conflict, the castle was then slighted in accordance with Cromwell's destruction order. The ruins are what remain today.

------------------------------------------
    Simon seemed happy with the day, as the sun shone high in the sky , and he and his knights headed southwards chatting easily about the deeds of combat they had preformed in the war with Scotland. A rider came into sight ,bearing the flags and trappings of the clergy of York and Simon began to feel uneasy, his happiness at the days light , turning sour , at this sudden appearance.

As the clergyman , with his small party edged closer and closer , Simon halted his column and rode a little forward.

"Well met!" , said Simon , talking a pleasant attitude , hoping this was good news , and that the Scottish had not resumed hostilities , as he was eager to ride to York to see his Wife , after long years away , on the march.

"Well met!", replied the priest , before getting off his mount , to take to the knee to the hero of the north , in front of him.

"Get up man , why do you give me such honour?", replied Simon , helping the priest to his feet.

The priest adjusted his robes, and gave himself a quick blessing with his fingers and hand, moving to the sign of the cross before continuing.

"In your absence , at the news of victory in the north with Scotland , parliament has met in your absence", replied the priest and Simon face took a pained look as he consisted what may had happened.

"Parliament has agreed that its performance , was unsatisfactory , and that a single leader is needed in these times of war. They have agree to enthrone a "King of the North", to protect the people of the north. A Hero , who will defend there rights and uphold , the defence of our nation. As of yesterday , Parliament is dissolved, and you have been pronounced King, Chester has left the barons alliance , and some yeoman of Lancaster have attacked the English crowns catapult siege train." , said the priest , his words coming out all in a gasp, as Simon face turned from glowing red ,to purple in indignation , to a pale white in disbelief.

"You have been summoned to York , to be enthroned there , at post haste, as some of your new vassals , fear for the safety of the realm.", finished the priest , his message finished.

Simon fell to his knee's, his plans for peace in tatters, and plans for a peaceful retirement in ruins , heavy is the head that is given the crown , and this will make him a rival to his brother-in-law , Henry.

He began to weep , and his fellow knights began to cheer thinking simon shed tears of joy,and equally they were happy, seeing possibilities of melee ahead , where they would face trails of combat,to there everlasting glory , as it could prove their skill in battle , which was a knights life. The cheers rang out, over the nearby hills , and began to echo , as Simon wept not tears of joy , but rather tears of sorrow , as the barons of north , had perhaps sealed the rest of his life , to the north's service.

Turn to England ,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkxvur3itb...nd_24.sav?dl=0
    Last edited by paladinbob123; June 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM.

Wow man, you mange to outclass yourself each time.
    I am going to take more time to read all the historical info you just shared with us.

So did you offer Chester to England?

Current Hotseat:

It has no troops and is on max tax's in the red [either it will rebel] or England can take it at a pinch ]..I think that is a fair response, as Chester views support the English crown's heavily indeed

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

Will be up tomorrow.

themzr's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Seeing RP like this just makes my heart happy @PaladinBob
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

The arrival of king Henry in the Northern Shires brought happiness among the people, with hundreds coming to see the Royal army marching towards the northern front against the Scottish invaders. Over 4000 Englishmen entered this petty land with the intention of helping it but the greed of the local lords would prevent it. On one morning upon King's Henry's arrival at a castle near the Lancaster border, an envoy arrives with a letter that would mark the isles history forever. The English troops learn that their siege engines were ambushed and butchered by the local lords who have risen in an uprising against the Crown. They sent a man named Godwin, Lancaster's captain of the barracks to do the job as none of them had the bravery of challenging the Crown personally.

Upon learning of this king Henry raged with fury. He stopped the march of his troops and planned to turn back and siege Lancaster but the two generals with him opposed to this when scouts reported a large army north of it, near a crossing lead by none other than their newly crowned 'king'. With difficulty and their lives at stake, they managed to convince King Henry to retreat his forces to Wales and discuss the matter with the other lords and generals in the army before making any drastic moves. The rest of the forces in the Northern Shires were ordered to do the same yet it is uncertain whatever or not they'll make it back alive with treachery dwelling in this land.

Returned to Wales the king held a council meeting with his most trusted generals, including his son, William now nicknamed the 'Wrathful'. Discussions lasted for hours between the men. Some wanted to attack the rebellious vassal at once and make an example out of it by burning it to the ground. Others were more concerned about the coalition that has been formed against England consisting of Ireland, Scotland, and what remained of the Wales free forces. If they would attack that would leave the western front open to enemy invasions and would lose Wales. There was also the matter of Henry's sister, wife to Lord Simon. Her safety was at stake in all this. After hours of talking, the kings son, manages to convince his father and the rest of the lords that war would only cause more damage than good. He chooses instead to send a diplomatic party north and discuss this matter more with the lords of the land as after all in the letter that Simon sent to England, his coronation was not his choosing.

But the lives of the men that died in the recent attack would not be in vein. Orders were issued to a small party to hunt down the attackers. They were tracked and a battle began with the majority of the enemy troops fleeing. Their general was captured however, alive. He was strapped naked of his clothes, put on a donkey and set back to Lancaster with an inscription on his back saying 'If this is your best then perhaps you should stay put'. An envoy will be sent soon North with details of the incoming conference between the two parties. The city of Chester accepted English rule with grace after an English party stopped the riots in the city saving hundreds from the death their lords put them in.

On a side note, a Welsh spy was assassinated while trying to escape Wales.

Ireland - http://www.mediafire.com/file/nu493b...nd_24.sav/file

Pics - https://imgur.com/a/DqDrHQK

Nice!

And SABATON \m/

Current Hotseat:

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

The preparations for the assault on Dumfries was complete and Art O'Rourke stood ready with hundreds of his men to storm the castle when a rider galloped towards them with a white flag. The rider seemed to be of York and hands Art a scroll and rides of in a haste.

Art O'Rourke withdraws to his pavilion with his advisers and begins to read the contents to them..

"The King must be informed at once!"

"Would that I could step foot on Irish soil again.. I fear the King would hang me for my recent actions against the Barons."

"But they offer to join us! and they are more worthy than the Norwegians who prefer words than actions. I beg my lord if you will not travel to Dublin yourself then send me."

Rourke thinks about it for a moment then replies.

"Very well, bring the offer to our High King but you should be warned that you may loose you head. The rest of us will depart to the far north at once.. I have to teach a fool a lesson."

Some days had passed before the messenger arrived in Dublin only to be seized at the gates and brought to the throne room in chains..

"My King! I have brou.."

A lord punches the prisoner before he could finish.

"Speak when spoken to traitor"

High King Brian approaches and the lord takes a step back.

"Count yourself lucky we don't have you boy, Art O'Rourke disobeyed my express command and attack the barons. But is it he who is the guilty party and he who will be punished, now speak what have you got to say?"

"Sire.. I was only followed the orders of my commander as any loyal soldier must.. word arrived from York sire,"

The King takes the scroll and reads it aloud and men look at one another in shock and surprise.

"Most glorious news! our alliance against the tyrant of England grows stronger, release this man he is to return to Art O'Rourke with my reply.. Tell him that his sentence has been commuted to exile and shall never step foot on his homeland again, he is to live his days out in Scotland aiding our northern kin until the day of his death."

Wales up - http://www.mediafire.com/file/p1fm8n...C_Wales_24.sav

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The King of Wales looked over his men, sitting on a fair and noble steed while wearing chainmail and the green of Welsh nobility.

The fact that the men had come - all of his original host - was in and of itself encouraging. It could not be denied that the men had grown comfortable in town, taking advantage of food, drink, a warm bed, a lady to fill it... many of them were already actually becoming fathers. Llywelyn wasn't sure that they'd even come.

But it appeared that the Welsh hearts among his crew were still beating strong. Well, strong enough to follow him on a lazy march up to the coast. What they would do, how they would perform beyond that, he couldn't be sure. Llywelyn was a mere 36 years old, but he felt as though he was thirty years older, at the end of his days. Perhaps he was and this would be his last campaign.

Well. If it was, at least it would end with a sword in his hand and his men behind him. Left behind were two of his old officers, one who appeared to be the heir to his exiled holdings if Llywelyn himself were to fall. The heir was not the most trusty of men. In fact, both of them were left behind for good reason. They were a little too enamored with the Irish brothels, the pursuit of wealth, and the avoidance of an English hangman. But he would, god willing, return to deal with that later. Dafydd's son was the true heir to it all, and he was nearly ten years old. It would be some time before he became of age, but Llywelyn had left him in trusted hands. He hoped that he had enough influence on the boy's youngest years to avoid him growing up a wrathful man. His father hadn't lived the happiest of lives, and died badly. It was a fate Llywelyn did not wish upon his kin.

As for Llywelyn himself, he still had some years left, although he was every bit a grown man. He had no wife, no children, just his own officers who were in the line of succession purely for their nobility in Wales. It was on Dafydd's side that the line would continue. And unless some noble lady came to Llywelyn's door, or Llywelyn finally found love despite his frequent busywork in day to day life, then that was how it would end.

Still, he had a trusty friend with him. A capable Irishman that he had picked up, skilled with words and many other things despite his quiet demeanor. He would be a useful advisor in days to come, and perhaps be helpful in dealing with the English.

After all, despite newly being friends with the newly founded kingdom of the northern English, there were many walls of mistrust to break before the Welsh host could be friends on the field or welcome in the plains and woods of the north...

Onto the Scots,
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...cotland_24.sav
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Really sorry for the recent delays. Been trying to catch myself up with allot, but nonetheless this will be up today

There was tension in the Northern regions by Perth for sometime now....... King Alexander hath grown impatient with the slowness of the Norse in their help to the Welsh and it was responsible for his most recent outburst towards the Norwegians. But it was mostly out of fear, for a couple years now they lurk outside the capital of Perth, where his wife and young daughter live.

He orders for the last shipments of gold to the Norse and with it offer them an alliance, but to inform them that a large defensive force will remain in Perth until there is less tensions in the region. Aberdeen had already been abandoned for the Norse in the last negotiations and he had given the Welsh a couple towns for sanctuary, but Perth was not expendable nor were the other cities of Scotland. They would be defended to the last man.

In the South, Prince Patrick exited Fort Warkoth (?) with his men to allow their soldiers back into their fort, and he went North and ordered some of his men to reoccupy the fort to the west. The military of Scotland would begin to consolidate soon, and will organize against the English invasion.....

Norway up http://www.mediafire.com/file/jupc54..._Norway_25.sav

A norwegian spy was assassinated for the people had heard of their sheep merchant being murdered a few months back.......

Somewhere on the western Noregveldi border, at the camp of King Magnus...
    -------------------------------------------------

King Magnus: "What was he doing in Scotland?"

"He was sent by Prince Inge. It was his trusted spy." The messenger sensed the tension rising.

King Magnus stood up and in a fit of rage threw his battle axe on his armour which was hanging on a pole to dry, piercing it in the process.

"Those fools! I risked civil war by offering them an alliance, yet they refuse it and they assassinate a Norse spy sent by Prince Inge! They are asking for war, I can't believe it!"

"Excuse me Sire, but they are actually interested in an alliance." The messenger was trying not to laugh.

"Are you kidding me boy??" Magnus was enraged.

"Not at all Sire, it's true, there is the treaty". The messenger, who has never seen Magnus in such state of fury, handed him the piece of paper with the Scottish royal seal.

Magnus took the paper, read it with wide open eyes. He then looked up at his counsel, laughed hysterically and cast the paper in the fire.
    "Inge was right. How naive I was. Send word to the Prince. Tell him to muster the troops!"

"There are more news my King. The Norther Shires have rebelled against the Crown and attacked the royal army. The English have no more friends on the Isles." The messenger is still shaking.

"What? My God, events are happening so fast. I must get to Inverness as soon as possible.
    Don't write to Prince Inge anymore. There are more pressing issues!"

Magnus dismissed his counsel and ordered the troops to march out in the winter blizzard.

Somewhere in Aberdeen

"My Prince, news from your man in Scotland." The messenger was weary and wet, snow still covering his cloak.

"What does he say, I hope the Barons are crushing the Scots still?"
    Inge was calmly sipping his wine.

"My Prince, the Shires have declared a ceasefire with the Scots and have entered open rebellion against the Crown." The messenger dared to approach the fire without permission while talking.

"What? I was not expecting that. What else did he say?" Inge stood up and was visibly irritated.

"Oh it was his last message my Prince. He has been missing for a while now." The messenger was talking as he sat next to the fire...

"What do you mean missing? Get out there and find him before I burn you alive!" Inge grabbed the freezing man by his cloak and threw him out of the door...

------------------------

The Northern Shires are next: http://www.mediafire.com/file/at9b90..._Barons_25.sav

Current Hotseat: