Page 68 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1843585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1667

Thread: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

meatpuppet's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Did anyone else have the entire forum crash on them all day yesterday?

Anyway, did you still want to foster a smooth transition period or were you willing to trade off now, Imperator Majora?

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Did you PM him?

Oh dear. Yes, I messaged him. Things slowed to such a crawl I almost forgot about this, and got heavily invested in a game of Shogun 2. I'm ready now, I'll have to message him again.

Ah, it looks like I'll need the save from you. Just send it to me when you're ready. Also, you guys have a discord, right?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A message has already been sent with what you need to log into the save and begin. Alternatively, you could get a cleared save from Jadli and start from there. No discord server exists for this hotseat, but both Jadli and I are on Discord.

Okay, I believe I did everything right, my turn is complete. I hope I haven't transgressed some rule of roleplay e.g. communication between factions requiring diplomats (I don't know if it does). Either way there is an English diplomat close to one of my cities so what I've written should work.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

Distraught was the word that could describe Rhydderch Mareddd, strolling about the eerily empty streets of Montgomery, which owed themselves to the plague that had been devastating the Isles. Rhydderch was not an excessively pious man, but the recent, or in fact ongoing-- cataclysm, he dared to say, had been, to a man such as him an obvious result of the obsession with conflict and warfare gripping said Isles... Surely this could be taken as a sign, if not from god, but from nature itself that the time for an end to the incessant warfare was nigh.

Rhydderch took a moment to collect himself and his thoughts. For nearly a century, the Welsh had fought, repelled, rebelled against the English. But were they really fighting for something that great? Perhaps, what they were fighting for had disappeared long ago. Once, Rhydderch himself had dreamed of repelling the English knavery in battle, glorious battles that would go down in history and would add to the glorious history of Wales. But now, merely looking around Wales, Rhydderch asserted such foolhardy pursuits were no longer beneficial to Wales'. future.. The Welsh had bravely stood up to the English far longer than anybody would dare to expect-- Their names would live on in history. There was still much work to be done to make sure the culture and ways of the Welsh were preserved adequately and not diluted with English interference. He was still a man of Welsh descent, proud, and eager to prove the honor of his lineage.

Ryhdderch took his pen and quill, and as a prominent (and in his eyes, the most sensible) member of the Welsh council, penned an eloquently worded missive. The missive contained pressing concerns involving the future of the Isles, addressed directly to Lord Protector Anselm of England. The message had been auspiciously endorsed by King Vortiper himself, a man who lacking in authoritative stature as an individual, was persuaded by Rhydderch's skillful use of words. The sheer destructive power of the Irish navy coasting about Welsh shores stunned Rhydderch. It was something the otherwise timid members of the Welsh nobility had dismissed, but Rhydderch was no fool. Having risen to his position as one of Wales' most able scholars, he implored King Vortiper as well as England's Lord Protector to take heed of his warning's about the eminent threat of the Irish. Need he remind them WHY the English were there in the first place? A united Ireland was indeed a threat to us all. A burgeoning giant, something never before seen in these Isles. He stressed to the Lord protector the sheer economic based needed to sustain a navy of such magnitude, and that Ireland would only be getting stronger.

Thinking objectively to himself, Rhydderch likened the resistance of Wales to that of a parasite. Of course he was still a proud Welshman. For once he had thought, perhaps, the Irish would make more hospitable guests than the English. He thought, if ever there were a threat to English rule, it was the tenacious grip of the Irish. But no-- He had seen enough war.

He knew that what would be wrought by such conflict was merely more death of ludicrous proportions. For Rhydderch knew while the English had spared Wales... The Irish would probably not be so kind in turn. Not only that, but times were changing. Rhydderch sensed the horizon and knew that if a united Britannia were not to emerge from the fighting soon, it would perhaps be overtaken by outside forces, someone else, more able, more suitable than they. He kept his sentiments about the Northern Shires out of his letters, having brought the matter up with King Vortiper but having been turned aside- Who were we to direct our liege where to go? Such a move on their part would seem presumptuous at best. Vortiper did not yet fit the mold of a ruler, Rhydderch knew he was as of yet too weak. And the Welsh would have to bide their time and simply await the orders of their English masters.

King Vortiper was not entirely unwary himself of the possible coming storm. An Irish spy had been caught red handed lurking about the country side. This boded ill for Welsh-Irish relations, already stressed by the irreverent and continuous presence of a vast navy. The foreign agent would have to be removed at once, or be removed!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm having trouble posting screenshots on the forum, it seems I can only post image links but the links I'm providing aren't working. What do I do? Rhydderch and my king should have about the same level of authority and Rhydderch also has the "Smart" trait, as well as King Vortiper having the "Ignorant" trait. I also needed to post a screenshot of the found spy, but for the sake of saving time, I'm posting this right now.

I also don't know how to attach the file, will need instructions, sorry.

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by meatpuppet View Post
    ______

I'm having trouble posting screenshots on the forum, it seems I can only post image links but the links I'm providing aren't working. What do I do? Rhydderch and my king should have about the same level of authority and Rhydderch also has the "Smart" trait, as well as King Vortiper having the "Ignorant" trait. I also needed to post a screenshot of the found spy, but for the sake of saving time, I'm posting this right now.

I also don't know how to attach the file, will need instructions, sorry.
    Nice work!

Well, you already figured out the links. You could upload it directy to the site (if you click "go advanced" and then "manage attachments") tho doing a link is better I suppose... Well for pics you need to click "insert image" (no need to go advanced). But you gotta put there the link directly for the pic (when you right click on a picture and choose copy link), not just url adress of the site where you can see the pic, if thats clear

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

Nice RP +rep

Btw it was the Irish and Scots who kept Wales alive by granting them lands when they were overrun by the English and ultimately Ireland (and the Welsh of course) who fought and restored the Welsh to their homelands
    Last edited by PeaMan; September 13, 2020 at 05:23 PM.

Welcome meatpuppet, and what a start!

Guys, I will be on holidays till Wednesday Sep. 23rd.

Are you ok to wait till I return or must I be subbed? Naturally, I prefer to play my turn myself, but if the wait is deemed too long, then subbing it is.
    Cheers,

DBW.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I have no problem with waiting till then DBW.

Welcome to the hotseat meatpuppet!

Together we will rule the Isles as father and son!

zender9's Avatar Domesticus

I'm okay with waiting as well.

Gaming Emeritus

Well,whatever you guys want

With their frail arms, the men tried to pull on the ropes.
    The frozen bells barely moved.

But the will of the men was strong and after a steady effort, the sound of the bells started ringing in the lowlands: the plague is over!

The effects of the resumption of trade were immediately noticeable, as carts of foods, spices and all sorts of other necessities started flooding in the cities.

King Hew, whose trial for attempted murder on late King Alexander the Great was put aside during the epidemic, went on a tour in the cities, to check on his people...but also to recruit some fresh men to repopulate his armies who were severely depleted.

Spies from the southern kingdoms reported that all other realms are gearing up again.

Scotland, still the mightiest kingdom in Britannia, can not let its guard down...
    ---

Barons next: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rhhmna...s_100.sav/file

PS: thanks for your patience!
    Last edited by Der Böse Wolf; September 25, 2020 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Typos

Current Hotseat:

They recently released an English translation of Bulat Steel for Medieval 2, I know a lot of people here are already involved in games but if there is anyone willing to join I'd be down for a game of that with some roleplay elements, just heads up. It's a decent mod.

They recently released an English translation of Bulat Steel for Medieval 2, I know a lot of people here are already involved in games but if there is anyone willing to join I'd be down for a game of that with some roleplay elements, just heads up. It's a decent mod.
    Bulat Steel is a great mod indeed.

But I do not have the time to commit to another HS. I rather put quality in this one with my limited free time.

Cheers,

DBW.

Current Hotseat:

Gaming Emeritus

Interesting mod, I will check it out, perhaps I will make a new HS on it... If you have some specific idea how the HS should like, PM me

Congrats all,for our 100th turn [winks]

There was a buzz around the duchy of York and Newcastle, things were afoot but there were alack of outsiders that could fully report, what was going on inside the lands, armies moved to and fro , seemingly heading north and then south again. Many in the counties think that perhaps the northern shires were holding drills or running their troops through various drills , as ever their forces were the smallest in the land, and so , to make up for that perhaps they were constantly drilling to make things better.

Diplomatic links with most factions of the isles where good, and trade flourished , as the areas, pursued ever more advanced trading techniques, building extra port facilities in hope of more trade from mainland europe. Duke Geoffrey rubbed his hands, at the increase of trade , and his coffers began to refill , bringing a smile to his lips for the first time in many years..

Turn to England
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m0amw9wva...d_101.sav?dl=0
    -----------------

Note : Welcome to Meatpuppet as he joins the RP and enjoyed his first piece of Roleplaying..I hope he enjoys it , as well as the rest of us do....As for the rest of us , it is the 100th turn , so i wish everybody the best, both those that have contributed before, at the beginning [even before i took over a place to helpout] ,& those that carried it into the middlegame, and those with us now. As a celebration i enclose another extra castle today [winks] enjoy

-----------------------------

Stornoway - The island of Harris&Lewis

Lewis and Harris (Scottish Gaelic: Leòdhas agus na Hearadh) is a Scottish island in the Outer Hebrides. It is the largest island in Scotland and the third largest in the British Isles, after Britannia and Hibernia. The northern two-thirds is called Lewis and the southern third Harris, higher[clarification needed]; both are frequently referred to as if they were separate.

The island does not have a one-word name in either English or Scottish Gaelic, and is referred to as 'Lewis and Harris', 'Lewis with Harris', 'Harris with Lewis' etc.Rarely used is the collective name of "the Long Island" (Scottish Gaelic: an t-Eilean Fada),although that epithet is sometimes applied to the entire Outer Hebrides, including the Uists and Barra

The boundary between Lewis and Harris runs for about 6 miles (9.7 km) where the island narrows between Loch Resort (Loch Reasort, opposite Scarp) on the west and Loch Seaforth (Loch Shìophoirt) on the east (This is north of the more obvious isthmus at Tarbert, which separates North Harris from South Harris.) Until 1975, Lewis belonged to the county of Ross and Cromarty and Harris to Inverness-shire.(The entire island group is now administered by Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, the Western Isles Council.) The boundary was originally between the lands of Clan MacLeod of Harris and Clan MacLeod of Lewis, the latter selling to Colin Mackenzie, 1st Earl of Seaforth.

A dispute over 3,000 hectares (7,400 acres) between Alexander Hume Macleod and Francis, Lord Seaforth (respective proprietors of Harris and Lewis) led to Court of Session inquiries in 1805 and 1850 and ended with Lord Chief Justice Campbell traversing the boundary on foot.As thus determined, it runs southeast from Loch Resort up Clàr Beag to Loch Chleistir, then east along Bealach na h-Uamha to the River Langdale, then northeast through the peaks of Tom Ruisg, Mullach a' Ruisg, and Mullach Bhìogadail, east to Amhuinn a Mhuil, and downstream to where it enters Loch Seaforth at Ath Linne under the A859, the only road connecting Lewis and Harris.Seaforth Island was considered part of both Harris and Lewis; for statistical purposes half its area was assigned to each

The island is the ancestral homeland of the Highland Clan MacLeod, with those individuals on Harris being referred to as from the Clan MacLeod of Harris or MacLeod of MacLeod, and those on Lewis being referred to as from the Clan MacLeod of Lewis.Lewis is also the ancestral home of Clan Morrison.

[Lewis-Harris "border" sign - the border between the two island of lewis and harris]

Harris
    Most of Harris is very hilly, with more than thirty peaks above 1,000 ft (305 m);the highest peak, Clisham, is a Corbett[A scottish mountain of a certain height]. Harris has an area of 841 square miles (2,178 km2), which equates to slightly under 1% of the area of Great Britain. It is 24 miles (39 km) from the nearest point of the mainland, from which it is separated by the Minch.

Lewis
    Lewis is comparatively flat, save in the south-east, where Ben More reaches 1,874 ft (571 m), and in the south-west, where Mealasbhal 1,885 ft (575 m) is the highest point.Lewis contains the deepest lake on any offshore island in the British Isles, Loch Suaineabhal, which has a maximum depth of 66.7 m (218 ft 10 in) and an overall mean depth of 32 m (105 ft).

[The Lewis chessmen is a famous collection of 12th-century chess pieces, carved from walrus ivory and mostly in the form of human figures, which were discovered in Uig in 1831]

Economy
    A major industry on the island is the production of Harris tweed fabric, which is handmade on the island; by law only fabric produced in the Outer Hebrides can be called Harris tweed.

StornowayThe town was founded by Vikings in the early 9th century, with the Old Norse name Stjórnavágr. The settlement grew up around a sheltered natural harbour near the centre of the island; people travelled to Stornoway from all over the island, either by family boat or by horse-drawn coach, for onward travel to and trade with the rest of Scotland and further afield.

At some point in the mid 1500s, the already ancient MacLeod castle in Stornoway 'fell victim to the cannons of the Duke of Argyle'. By the early 1600s rumbling trade wars came to a head, and all further government attempts to curtail traditional shipping rights were firmly resisted by the islanders, as was an attempt by James VI, King of Scotland, to establish on the island the Scottish trading company known as the Fife Adventurers around 1598. As a result, James VI transferred Lewis to the MacKenzies of Seaforth in 1610.

In 1844, the MacKenzies sold Stornoway, and the Isle of Lewis as a whole, to Sir James Matheson (and his descendants) who built the present Lews Castle on a hill overlooking the bay of Stornoway. Fragmentary ruins of the old Stornoway Castle had survived in the bay until that time, and can even be seen in Victorian photographs, but Matheson destroyed them in 1882, in order to expand the harbour; a few remains of Stornoway Castle still remain, hidden beneath pier number 1, close to the shore, slightly west of centre.

In 1918, Matheson sold the island to William Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme. Lord Leverhulme held the island for a short time. His economic plans for the island (together with various business setbacks) overstretched his finances. Faced with failure in Lewis, he gave Stornoway parish to the people of the town. The Stornoway Trust was formed and continues to administer the parish for the people

Stornoway Castle
    Stornoway Castle once stood on a rock in Stornoway harbour but nothing of it now remains and its site has been incorporated into a modern pier.

Exactly when Stornoway Castle was built is unknown. The earliest date ascribed to it is as a 15th century castle of MacLeods of Lewis. The MacLeods were the chiefs of Lewis from the 13th century and so it has been supposed that the castle may have dated back to the 13th century. There is also a tradition that the castle was built by the MacNicols as far back as the 11th or 12th centuries prior to the MacLeods taking possession in the 13th century.

The castle occupied a rocky island in Anchor Bay just off the spur of land upon which Stornoway sits, offering a good degree of defence due to being separated from the town by a channel of water. What form the castle took is unknown however it may have looked similar to Kisimul Castle which occupies a similar island location in Castlebay on Barra

Towards the end of the 15th century James IV sought to extend his authority over the Western Isles which had previously enjoyed some autonomy under the control of the Lord of the Isles. Torquil MacLeod, the then chief of the MacLeods of Lewis, resisted and was accused of treason. In 1506 Alexander Gordon, 3rd Earl of Huntly, captured Stornoway Castle for the King.

In 1511 the MacLeod lands were reacquired by Torquil’s younger brother, Malcolm. Following his death around 1528 the lands passed to his nephew, John, the son of Torquil, and the MacLeods seem to have returned to their belligerent ways. John was succeeded by Rory, Malcolm’s son, who fought with rival clans on Skye and the mainland and as a result was accused of treason in 1540. However he was evidently rehabilitated as in 1541 he was granted by James V the lands, island and barony of Lewis, including the castle, upon his marriage to Barbara Stewart, daughter of Andrew, 1st Lord Avondale.

The MacLeods continued to cause problems for the Crown, and with the infant Mary on the throne James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran and Regent of Scotland, dispatched the Earls of Huntly and Argyll to destroy the MacLeods and others in the Western Isles. In 1554 Archibald Campbell, 4th Earl of Argyll, laid siege to Stornoway Castle but the artillery bombardment proved unsuccessful and the MacLeods seem to have remained in possession of the castle.

Rory MacLeod and Barbara Stewart had a son, Torquil, who was known as Torquil Oighre (Torquil the heir) to distinguish him from Torquil Connonach, the illegitimate son of Rory’s first wife, Janet, the daughter of John Mackenzie of Kintail, who committed adultery with Hucheon Morrison. Torquil Oighre drowned in 1566 and Torquil Connonach took this opportunity to seize the castle, imprisoning Rory MacLeod in it for four years.

Relations between the two seem to have improved and Rory took possession of the castle once more. But when he died in 1595 and was succeeded by his son Torquil Dubh, a product of his third marriage, Torquil Connonach took exception and fought with Torquil Dubh. The legal claims to the lands of Lewis were decided by a Royal charter of 1596 which granted them to Torquil Connonach but reserved the castle to the Crown.

In 1597 the MacLeod lands were forfeited and James VI awarded land on Lewis to the Fife Adventurers, twelve Lowland landowners. Intended to “civilise” Lewis, trouble flared up and military expeditions were dispatched to to pacify the island. Kenneth Mackenzie of Kintail joined these expeditions, having a vested interest in the lands of Lewis – his brother, Roderick, was married to Torquil Connonach’s daughter Margaret. However he also discreetly assisted the locals in their fight against the invaders.

Another of Rory’s sons, Neil MacLeod, had captured Stornoway Castle from the Fife Adventurers, and in 1607 Mackenzie of Kintail received a commission to stop MacLeod, capturing the castle. James VI granted Lewis to James Elphinstone, 1st Lord Balmerino, Sir George Hay and Sir James Spens of Wormiston in 1608, but by continuing his discrete support for the locals Mackenzie of Kintail persuaded them to sell Lewis to him for a considerable sum. In 1610 he was created the 1st Lord Mackenzie of Kintail.

Upon the death of the 1st Lord Mackenzie of Kintail in 1611 Stornoway Castle passed to his eldest son, Colin Mackenzie, who in 1623 would be created the 1st Earl of Seaforth. Following his death in 1633 the castle and the lands of Lewis passed to his brother, George. Despite a personal attachment to Charles I George was initially a Covenanter, but later went over to the Royalist side.

George died in 1651 and was succeeded by his son Kenneth who used Stornoway Castle as a base for resisting Cromwell’s troops. Due to his loyalty to Charles II Kenneth’s lands were forfeited in 1654. The castle was destroyed by Colonel Cobbett’s Regiment of Foot in 1654.

There are suggestions that the castle may have been partially rebuilt and occupied for a time later, but this essentially seems to be the end of the history of Stornoway Castle. The lands continued to be owned by the Mackenzies until 1844 when they sold it to Sir James Matheson, the co-founder of Jardine Matheson.

Clan MacLeod
    When people ask me what i think of Clan MacLeod or just MacLeod , as a person of my generation , i think of "Highlander" a movie with sean connery and Christopher lambert[1986], with a over abundance of swordplay , action and death....with a added extra of Queen music [winks]

There can only be one [winks]

but there is actually a real Clan MacLeod , and its story is here , as its story is relative to Stornoway and the isles of harris&lewis [winks]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN0hK9mC1yQ - further film clips

Clan MacLeod of The Lewes, commonly known as Clan MacLeod of Lewis (Scottish Gaelic: Clann Mhic Leòid Leòdhais), is a Highland Scottish clan, which at its height held extensive lands in the Western Isles and west coast of Scotland. From the 14th century up until the beginning of the 17th century there were two branches of Macleods: the MacLeods of Dunvegan and Harris (Clan MacLeod); and the Macleods of the Isle of Lewis. In Gaelic the Macleods of Lewis were known as Sìol Thorcaill ("Seed of Torquil"), and the MacLeods of Dunvegan and Harris were known as Sìol Thormoid ("Seed of Tormod")

Origin of the name
    The clan surnames MacLeod and McLeod (and other variants) are Anglicisations of the Gaelic patronymic name Mac Leòid meaning "son of Leòd". This Gaelic name (Leòd) is a form of the Old Norse personal name Ljótr which can mean “bright”, “shining” or alternatively "ugly"

History

The Clan MacLeod of Lewis claims its descent from Leod, who according to MacLeod tradition was a younger son of Olaf the Black, King of Mann (r.1229–1237). However, articles have been published in the Clan MacLeod magazine which suggest an alternative genealogy for Leod, one in which he was not son of Olaf, but a 3rd cousin (some removed) from Magnus the last King of Mann. In these alternative genealogies, using the genealogy of Christina MacLeod, great granddaughter of Leod, who married Hector Reaganach (McLean/McLaine). These articles suggest that the relationship to the Kings of Mann was through a female line, that of Helga of the beautiful hair. The dating of Christina's genealogy and the ability to line it up with known historical facts lend a great deal of authenticity to the claims of the authors.

MacLeod tradition is that Leod, who had possession of Harris and part of Skye, married a daughter of the Norse seneschal of Skye, MacArailt or Harold's son who held Dunvegan and much of Skye.Tradition stated that Leod's two sons, Tormod and Torquil, founded the two main branches of the Clan MacLeod, Siol Tormod and Siol Torquil. Torquil was actually a grandson of Tormod; Torquil's descendants held the lands of the Isle of Lewis until the early seventeenth century when the Mackenzies successfully overthrew the Lewismen,partly with the aid of the Morrisons, and the MacLeods of Harris (Siol Tormod). Younger branches of Siol Torquil held the mainland lands of Assynt and Cadboll longer, and the Isle of Raasay until 1846. Siol Tormod held Harris and Glenelg on the mainland, and also the lands of Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye.

Leod, according to tradition, died around 1280 and was buried on the holy island of Iona, where six successive chiefs of the clan found a last resting-place after him.

14th century
    Tormod, son of Leod, does not appear in contemporary records; though according to MacLeod tradition preserved in the 19th century Bannatyne manuscript, he was a noted soldier of his era and was present at the Battle of Bannockburn. Tormod's son and successor, Malcolm, is the first of the clan to appear in contemporary record when both he and his kinsman, Torquil, are recorded as "Malcolme, son to Tormode M'Cloyde", and "Torkyll M'Cloyd", in a royal charter dating to about 1343, during the reign of David II (r. 1329–1371). Malcolm was succeeded by his eldest child, Iain Ciar, as fourth chief of the clan. R.C. MacLeod dated this event to about 1330.

Iain Ciar appears in MacLeod tradition as the most tyrannical chief of the clan; his wife is also said to have been just as cruel as he. Clan tradition states that he was wounded in an ambush on Harris, and soon after died from these wounds at the church at Rodel. R.C. MacLeod dated his death to 1392.Tradition has it that the Lord of the Isles made another attack on Skye in 1395, but Iain's grandson William MacLeod met the MacDonalds at Sligachan (Sligichen) and drove them back to Loch Eynort (Ainort). There they found that their galleys had been moved offshore by the MacAskills, and every invader was killed. The spoils were divided at Creag an Fheannaidh ('Rock of the Flaying')or Creggan ni feavigh ('Rock of the Spoil'), sometimes identified with the Bloody Stone in Harta Corrie.

15th-century clan conflicts
    The Battle of Harlaw was fought in 1411 where the MacLeods fought as Highlanders in support of Domhnall of Islay, Lord of the Isles, chief of Clan Donald.

The Battle of Bloody Bay was fought in 1481 where the Clan MacLeod supported John of Islay, Earl of Ross, chief of Clan Donald against his bastard son Angus Og Macdonald. William Dubh MacLeod, chief of Clan MacLeod was killed in the battle.

16th-century clan conflicts
    See also: Battle of Glendale (Skye), Battle of the Spoiling Dyke, Battle of Carinish, and Battle of Coire Na Creiche
    During the 16th century the Clan MacLeod feuded heavily with the Clan Macdonald of Sleat.

In 1588 William MacLeod of Dunvegan, the 13th chief, bound himself and his heirs in a bond of manrent to "assist, maintain, and defend, and concur with Lachlan Mackintosh of Dunachton, Captain and Chief of the Clan Chattan, and his heirs."

The ruined Ardvreck Castle, on Loch Assynt in Sutherland. The castle, built by the Macleods, dates from the 16th century.]

Fall of the clan
    The fall of the clan and loss of the Isle of Lewis, began with Ruairi and his marriage to a daughter of John Mackenzie of Kintail. This marriage had produced a son named Torquil Connanach (named after his residence among the Mackenzies in Strathconnan). Ruairi later disowned Torquil Connanach on account of the alleged adultery between his wife and the Morrison brieve of Lewis. Ruairi's wife later abandoned him and eloped with a cousin of his, John MacGillechallum of Raasay, after which Ruairi divorced her. In 1541 Ruairi married Barbara Stewart, daughter of Andrew Lord Avondale, and by her had a son named Torquil Oighre ("Heir" to distinguish him from the disowned Torquil).

In about 1566 the legitimate son Torquil Oighre drowned along with sixty of his supporters while sailing from Lewis to Skye across the Minch. Immediately the disinherited Torquil Connanach took up arms, supported by the Mackenzies. He captured his supposed father Ruairi, and for the next four years kept him as prisoner under dreadful conditions within the castle of Stornoway.

Ruairi was only released from captivity by agreeing to recognise Torquil Connanach as his lawful heir. In 1572 Ruairi was then brought before the Privy Council where he was forced to resign to the Crown his lands of Lewis, Assynt, Coigach and Waternish.These lands were then granted to Torquil Connanach as his lawful heir, and he only received them back in life-rent.When Ruairi had returned to Lewis he revoked all he had agreed to on the grounds of coercion on 2 June 1572.Later in 1576, Regent Morton was successful in reconciling Ruairi and Torquil Connanach, where Tocall was again made lawful heir and also received charter to the lands of Coigach.

Some time later Ruairi took for his third wife a daughter of Hector Og Maclean of Duart, and had by her two sons, Torquil Dubh and Tormod.Ruairi also had several natural sons, Tormod Uigach and Murdoch.Ruairi then made Torquil Dubh his heir, and again Torquil Connanach took up arms supported by the Mackenzies. Ruairi was aided by several of his illegitimate sons, including Donald, Ruairi Og and Niall, though two others, Tormod Uigach (from Uig, Lewis) and Murdoch aided Torquil Connanach. In the encounter that followed Ruairi was again captured, and many of his men were killed. Upon Torquil Connanach's victory all charters and title deeds of Lewis were handed over to the Mackenzies. Ruairi was held captive in the castle of Stornoway, commanded by Torquil Connanach's son John, though was freed when Ruairi Og attacked the castle and killed John.Upon his release Ruairi ruled Lewis in peace for the rest of his life.

Upon the death of Ruairi Macleod of The Lewes, the chieftainship of the clan passed to Torquil Dubh. In 1596 Torquil Dubh, with a force of seven or eight hundred men, devastated Torquil Connanach's lands of Coigach and the Mackenzie lands of Loch Broom.In consequence, Torquil Dubh was summoned to appear before the Privy Council and was declared a rebel when he failed to appear.Torquil Dubh was finally betrayed by the Brieve of Lewis, chief of the Morrisons of Ness. Once captured, the brieve sent Torquil Dubh to Coigach where he and his companions were beheaded by Torquil Connanach, on the orders of Kenneth Mackenzie of Kintail in July 1597.Following this, Lewis was commanded by Torquil Dubh's three young sons and his illegitimate brother Niall. The Macleods of Lewis were also aided by the Macleods of Harris and the Macleans.

[Castle Brochel on the Isle of Rassay, by William Daniell in 1819. Brochel Castle was built in the late 15th century or early 16th century, traditionally by MacGilleChaluim, first Macleod chief of Raasay.]

17th century – peace among the clans and Civil War
    The Battle of Coire Na Creiche in 1601 on Skye saw the MacLeods defeated by Clan MacDonald of Sleat on the northern slopes of the Cuillin hills.In 1608 after a century of feuding which included battles between the MacDonalds, the Clan Mackenzie and Clan MacLean, all of the relevant Chiefs were called to a Lee lr meeting with Lord Ochiltree who was the King's representative. Here they discussed the future Royal intentions for governing the Isles. The Chiefs did not agree with the King and were all thrown into prison. Donald the Chief of the Clan MacDonald of Sleat was incarcerated in the Blackness Castle. His release was granted when he at last submitted to the King. Donald died in 1616 and then Donald Gorm Org MacDonald, 9th Chief, 1st Baronet of Sleat, his nephew succeeded as the chief and became the first Baronet of Sleat. Clan MacDonald of Sleat continues to hold title to Trotternish and Sleat on Skye from that day until the present.

During the Civil War, after the Battle of Carbisdale in 1650 the defeated James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose surrendered himself to Neil MacLeod of Assynt at Ardvreck Castle. MacLeod' wife, Christine Munro, tricked Montrose into the castle dungeon and sent for troops of the Covenanter Government,and as a result Montrose was captured and executed.

During the Civil War as many as 500 MacLeods fought as royalists at the Battle of Worcester in 1651.

18th century and Jacobite risings
    The MacLeods having supported the Jacobite rising of 1715, General Wade's report on the Highlands in 1724, estimated the clan strength at 1,000 men.

During the Jacobite rising of 1745 the chief of the Clan MacLeod, Norman MacLeod of Dunvegan, did not support the Jacobites and instead raised several Independent Highland Companies in support of the Government forces.The chief led 500 men of the MacLeod Independent Highland Companies in support of the Government at the Battle of Inverurie, on 23 December 1745, where they were defeated.

The Macleods of Raasay, a branch of the MacLeods of Lewis, fought at the Battle of Culloden as part of the Glengarry Regiment, in retribution, the MacLeods of Dunvegan, under their chief, Norman MacLeod, burned and pillaged the Island of Raasay, harassing its inhabitants for many weeks in the late summer of 1746. As a result, Norman MacLeod became known as "The Wicked Man". In 1745, MacLeod of Dunvegan was said to have been able to "bring out" 700 men

Loss of Lewis
    Though Torquil Dubh had several sons, Donald Gorm Mor of Sleat considered himself an heir of the deceased chief of Lewis and invaded the island pursuing his claim. It was not until after causing much destruction that the MacDonald of Sleat chief was driven off the island by the Lewismen.Because the Mackenzies now had the title deeds of Lewis, the island was forfeited by the Act of Estates in 1597, which gave the Scottish Government an excuse to attempt the colonisation the island.

During this era on Lewis the Macleods took part in the succession of feuds of their neighbouring clans such as the Morrisons and their enemies the MacAulays of Lewis.

End of Old Ruairi’s line
    After the conquest of Lewis by the Mackenzies, Niall Macleod and his nephews Malcolm, William and Ruairi (the sons of Ruairi Og), and about thirty others took refuge on Bearasay in the mouth of Loch Roag on the west coast of Lewis.For almost three years the small group of Macleods held out against the Mackenzies before being driven off. Niall then surrendered himself to Ruairi Mor Macleod of Harris and Dunvegan. Later when travelling in the south Ruairi was forced to deliver both Niall and Niall's son Donald to the Privy Council in Edinburgh. Ruairi Mor later served some time in prison for harbouring the rebels, though he was also later knighted for his service to the Crown.Niall was brought to trial, convicted and executed in April 1613, dying "very Christianlie". Niall's son Donald was banished from Scotland, and ended up dying in Holland without any known issue.

Two of Ruairi Og's sons - Ruairi and William - were captured and hanged by Mackenzie of Kintail.The one remaining son, Malcolm, was captured at the same time, though escaped and harassed the Mackenzies for years afterwards. Malcolm played a prominent part in Sir James Macdonald's rebellion in 1615, and later went to Flanders, in 1616 he was again on Lewis where he killed "two gentlemen of the Mackenzies". Later he went to Spain, returnining in 1620 with Sir James Macdonald. Commissions of Fire and Sword were granted to Lord Kintail and the Mackenzies against "Malcolm MacRuari Macleod" in 1622 and 1626. Nothing more is known of him. Tormod, the last legitimate son of Old Ruairi, was released from prison in Edinburgh in 1615, and left for Holland where he died with no known issue.Nothing is known of the fate of Torquil Dubh's sons Ruairi and Torquil.

After the Macleods lost control of Lewis, the title Lord Macleod was the second title of the Mackenzie, Earls of Cromartie. They claimed this right through their descent from Margaret, daughter of Torquil Conanach, who succeeded to her father's claim to Lewis. In time, the chiefship of the Macleods of Lewis passed to the Macleods of Raasay, near cousins of Old Ruairi. This line of Chiefs continues unbroken to this day.

20th and 21st centuries
    Torquil Roderick Macleod, 17th of Raasay, was a grandson of Loudoun Hector Macleod, and a farmer who lived in Tasmania. He had an interest in the history of the clan and matriculated arms at the Court of the Lord Lyon as Macleod of Raasay. Later in 1988 he was officially recognised as "Torquil Roderick Macleod of The Lewes and Chief and Head of the baronial House of Macleod of the Lewes" by Lord Lyon King of Arms.In 2001 the chief of the clan died and was succeeded by his eldest son Torquil Donald Macleod of The Lewes.The present chief of Clan Macleod of The Lewes lives in Sandy Bay, Tasmania, Australia.

Today both the Clan Macleod of The Lewes and Clan Macleod are represented by "Associated Clan MacLeod Societies" (ACM), with the chiefs Hugh Magnus Macleod of Macleod, Chief of Clan Macleod, and Torquil Donald Macleod of The Lewes, Chief of Clan Macleod of The Lewes.The association is made up of nine national societies across the world including: Australia, Canada, England, France, Germany, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, Switzerland and the United States of America.The ACM last held Parliament in 2006 on the Isle of Lewis.

MacLeod DNA
    A recent study of DNA from MacLeods determined that, out of 45 men with the surname, almost half of these men (47%) were descended from the same man. The genetic marker of this group is rare in the British Isles, and has been found not only in "MacLeod territory", but also in Orkney, Shetland, and Norway. The study considered it to be evidence of a Norse origin of the clan's founder.

Bonus Casle for 100th turn - Castle Caerlaverock
    Note this castle is southeast of Dumfries where there is no castle ..its the reason perhaps this great castle is not mentioned..in our game..and we havent used it for that purpose..but it has some great history and appearance and so is a treat to examine

Caerlaverock Castle is a moated triangular castle first built in the 13th century. It is located on the southern coast of Scotland, 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) south of Dumfries, on the edge of the Caerlaverock National Nature Reserve. Caerlaverock was a stronghold of the Maxwell family from the 13th century until the 17th century, when the castle was abandoned. It was besieged by the English during the Wars of Scottish Independence, and underwent several partial demolitions and reconstructions over the 14th and 15th centuries. In the 17th century, the Maxwells were created Earls of Nithsdale, and built a new lodging within the walls, described as among "the most ambitious early classical domestic architecture in Scotland". In 1640 the castle was besieged for the last time and was subsequently abandoned. Although demolished and rebuilt several times, the castle retains the distinctive triangular plan first laid out in the 13th century. Caerlaverock Castle was built to control trade in early times.

The name Caerlaverock is of Brittonic origin. The first part of the name is the element cajr meaning "an enclosed, defensible site", (Welsh caer, "fort, city"). The second part of the name may be the personal name Lïμarch (Welsh Llywarch), or a lost stream-name formed from the adjective laβar, "talkative" (Welsh llafar, see Afon Llafar), The present form has been influenced by the Scots word laverock, "skylark"

The present castle was preceded by several fortifications in the area: a Roman fort on Ward Law Hill and a British hill fort that was in use around 950.

The earliest mention of the lands of Caerlaverock is around 1160, when they were granted to the monks of Holm Cultram Abbey. Around 1220 Alexander II of Scotland granted the lands to Sir John Maxwell, making him Warden of the West March. Sir John Maxwell also served as Chamberlain of Scotland from 1231–1233, and began work on the first castle at Caerlaverock. This castle was square in shape and was one of the earliest stone castles to be built in Scotland. It had a moat with a bridge facing north. Only the foundations and remains of a wooden enclosure around it remain.

This early castle may have been incomplete when it was abandoned in favour of a rock outcrop some 200 metres (660 ft) to the north. It was here that Sir John's brother Sir Aymer Maxwell began construction of the present castle. Sir Aymer also served as Chamberlain in 1258–1260, and was Justiciar of Galloway in 1264. In the 1270s the "new" castle was completed, and Herbert Maxwell, nephew of John Maxwell, occupied it.

Historic view of Caerlaverock Castle
    When the moat around the second castle was dug, the quarrying was probably a source of building stone for the castle. While the gatehouse stands on natural rock, the rest of the castle was built on a clay platform created especially for the castle.

Wars of independence
    In 1299, the garrison of Caerlaverock attacked Lochmaben Castle which was held by English forces.

Siege of Caerlaverock
    In July 1300 King Edward I of England marched north with an army including eighty-seven of the Barons of England and several knights of Brittany and Lorraine, and besieged Caerlaverock. Those present on the English side included Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln; Robert FitzWalter; Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford; John, Baron Segrave; Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick; John of Brittany, Earl of Richmond; Patrick, Earl of March and his son; Prince Edward (the future Edward II); Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, and his brother Henry; Richard Fitzalan, Earl of Arundel; and Antony Bek, Bishop of Durham. The Maxwells, under their chief Sir Eustace Maxwell, mounted a vigorous defence of the castle which repelled the English several times. In the end, the garrison was compelled to surrender, after which it was found that only sixty men had withstood the whole English army for a considerable period.

During the siege the English heralds composed a roll of arms in Old French verse, known as the Siege of Caerlaverock, in which each noble or knight present was named, his feats of valour described, and a poetic blazon of his armorial bearings given.

an exert from the verse:-

"In our Lord’s year thirteen-hundred, on St. John’s day, at Carlisle Edward held great court, and ordered that all men in little while should prepare to march on Scotland, ‘gainst his foemen of the north. Ready were they to the hour, and the good King led them forth. Not in coats and surcoats rode they, on their chargers dearly-bought, but well armoured and securely, wary of surprise assault. There were richly broidered trappings of or silk or satin made, many a lovely lance-head pennon, many a banner proud displayed. Far was heard the horses’ neighing; far-flung o’er the hills and vales were the sumpter-beasts and wagons bearing stores and tents in bales. Through fair days, by easy journeys, moved the host in squadrons four.

Hear the roll of the companions, and the banners which they bore.

Henry the good Earl of Lincoln, heart aflame with valour sure, led the van, his silken banner saffron with a lion purpure; with him, Robert le FitzWalter, skilled in arms and prompt to wield : in his banner, ‘twixt two chevrons a red fess on yellow field;” also William styled the Marshal — office he in Ireland held — there unfurl’d a scarlet banner with a golden bend engrailed. Hugh Bardolf, of noble presence, rich and courteous and bold, on an azure banner carried cinquefoils three of finest gold. Fifth I name a lord much honoured, Philip Lord of Kyme, who bore on his banner gules a chevron set about with crosslets or.

Henry Lord de Grey I saw there, in the good Earl’s retinue; barred his banner was in pieces six of silver and of blue. Robert de Monhaut — high spirit him to heights of honour urged — raised aloft an azure banner with a silver lion charged. Thomas Multon’s shield and banner silver were with three bars red;...."

and another part later on...

"Mighty was Caerlaverock Castle. Siege it feared not. scorned surrender —wherefore came the King in person. Many a resolute defender, well supplied with stores and engines, ‘gainst assault the fortress manned. Shield-shaped, was it. corner-towered, gate and draw-bridge barbican’d. strongly walled, and girt with ditches filled with water brimmingly. Ne’er was castle lovelier sited : westward lay the Irish Sea, north a countryside of beauty by an arm of sea embraced. On two sides, whoe’er approached it danger from the waters faced; nor was easier the southward — sea-girt land of marsh and wood: therefore from the east we neared it, up the slope on which it stood."

The full verse and the banners for all the famous notables knights, lords and nobles can be seen at this site,which those that love their history i recommend visitng and reading the verse with the ranks of all the flags of the nobles at the battle..its a sight to see ..literally [winks] :- https://www.theheraldrysociety.com/a...-caerlaverock/

In recent years, Historic Scotland has organised re-enactments of the siege.

Recovery
    Possession of the castle was subsequently restored to Sir Eustace Maxwell, Sir Herbert's son, who at first embraced the cause of John Balliol, and in 1312 received from Edward II an allowance of £20 for the more secure keeping of the castle. He afterwards gave in his adherence to Robert Bruce, and his castle, in consequence, underwent a second siege by the English, in which they were unsuccessful. Fearing that this important stronghold might ultimately fall into the hands of the enemy, and enable them to make good their hold on the district, Sir Eustace dismantled the fortress, service and sacrifice for which he was liberally rewarded by Robert Bruce.

By 1337 the castle was once again inhabited, and Sir Eustace now changed sides again, giving his support to Edward Balliol. Around 1355 Sir Roger Kirkpatrick of Closeburn captured Caerlaverock for David II of Scotland, and partly dismantled the castle.

Aerial view of the castle at the following video link [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf2_cr-AqXM ]

Repair and rebuilding
    By the end of the Wars of Independence in the mid-14th century, Caerlaverock had been regained by the Maxwells, with Sir Robert Maxwell rebuilding much of the castle between 1373 and 1410.Further work was undertaken by Robert, 2nd Lord Maxwell, in the mid-15th century, probably involving reconstruction of the gatehouse. A new west range was added within the walls around 1500.

The Catholic Maxwells took up the cause of Mary, Queen of Scots, after her forced abdication in 1567. Caerlaverock was besieged in 1570 by an English Protestant force led by the Earl of Sussex, and was again partly demolished, including the destruction of the gatehouse with gunpowder.

By 1593, John, 8th Lord Maxwell was repairing the castle again, building up the gatehouse for defence against the Johnstones of Annandale, with whom the Maxwells were feuding. The 8th Lord was killed by the Johnstones during a fight at Dryfe Sands, and in 1613 the 9th Lord Maxwell was executed for the revenge murder of Sir James Johnstone.

Earls of Nithsdale
    In 1619 Robert, 10th Lord Maxwell, married Elizabeth Beaumont, cousin of the Duke of Buckingham, a favourite of James VI of Scotland. He was subsequently made Earl of Nithsdale and appointed to the Privy Council of Scotland. To reflect his new status he built the elaborate south and east ranges within the castle, known as the Nithsdale Lodging.

Caerlaverock Castle in 1900
    The new ranges were completed around 1634. Nithsdale was at Caerlaverock in August 1637, and wrote to Sir Richard Graham asking for dogs for hunting and breeding.Religious turmoil soon turned against the Catholic Maxwells. In 1640 the Protestant Covenanter army besieged Caerlaverock for 13 weeks, eventually forcing its surrender. According to Sir Henry Vane, the Earl and Countess of Nithsdale and their page were allowed to leave, but 40 defenders called Maxwell were put to the sword.The south wall and tower were demolished, and the castle was never repaired or reoccupied.
    Last edited by paladinbob123; September 29, 2020 at 05:11 PM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

England

The plague was all but a distant memory, the armies replenished, the fields bustling with farmers. England was primed for war but against whom?

Ireland up: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a66urc...d_101.sav/file

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by paladinbob123 View Post
    Congrats all,for our 100th turn [winks]

Congratulations indeed! I have never seen a HS to reach 100th turn . And If I ever thought of type of a hotseat that could reach so many turns, I definitely havent figured out a roleplay HS would be the one!