Page 62 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1237525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1667

Thread: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Default Re: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

Quote Originally Posted by zender9 View Post
    That was really unexpected.
    I feel you.
    But King Griffin only has 1 Authority, so rebellion was always a possibility.
    Check how loyal was O'driscoll in your previous saved file.

Anyway, I tried to RP this event in a nice way
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Britannia Expansion - Custom Submod] The Isles of Chaos (Roleplay Hotseat)

You did a fine job I would say Der Böse Wolf. I'm afeared for what's going to happen to my faction as well. My new faction leader has 2 authority or something like that.

More Chaos for the Chaos gods!

I found horrible typos in my RP post so corrected these now.

Some were so bad the text did not make any sense (I wrote it at 2 Am).

Cheers.
    Last edited by Der Böse Wolf; March 23, 2020 at 06:05 AM.

Current Hotseat:

With the death of Lewes of England, the northern shires war leader, Godwine lewes was devastated at the loss of his father,but even after a battle won, things had to move forward and taking advantage of his underlings grief, Lord Geoffrey of York took command , negotiating with the city of York, whilst having Duke Godwin under guard. Letters there was from both sides [England and Scotland] but Lord Geoffrey was more worried about their own position as they had given up their base of Nottingham , to make this gamble against the Scottish shires, and a new base was needed.

As the northern shires army came within a few miles of the City of York, many of its cities representatives rode out to met , them , as they negotiated the current situation. The city of York had no real interest of resisting whilst the leader of the Scottish shires was in their custody, and as long as the city was unhurt, they were content to surrender the city to the northern rebels, as long as the city became a Open city . Lord Geoffrey, knew that their own position,equally was not so well connected with the loss of Lewes in England in the south, and accepted the terms. Immediately after terms was given to the supporters of the northern rebellion, Nicolas the scarred, was given Conisborough castle for his own area, and Rob o' the woods was a lordship and called "robin of Skipton" & given Skipton castle for his own estates although at present it was under Scottish control.

Dealing with the scottish would prove another problem and so a brief letter was written to King Alexander was given , asking that they also wished no conflict between the factions, but equally scottish garrisons at Skipton Castle & Barnard Castle[one between york&newcastle] were to be given up to the new Open duchy of York, but if they were given up without resistance or violence, that the truce could be kept..and furthermore the duchy would provide the rest of their current debt to the scots promised by the previous duke, in the region of 1,000 gold per turn [for the last three turns]. As for warkworth castle [north of york] the scottish could stay for the moment , for Lord Geoffrey had problems with Newcastle and a problem of what to do about his prisoner in Duke Godwin. There was a additional message that was to be passed personally [and to no other] to show the Duchy of Yorks commitment to this peace by enclosing a note,for a contract for a assassination of the Scottish King& who was paying for this contract.....whether Waylander had already seen this contract or not, was not known to Lord Geoffrey but he urged the Scottish king to take all precautions for his own safety and to take steps against his own prince?.

Now there was great discussion about what to do with the captured Duke Godwin, and it was fairly clear about what lord commander Godwine lewes wanted to do with the duke.."that" being a quick death, to keep his wife, happy and perhaps use that advantage to perhaps take over control of Newcastle...but there was a great deal of resistance from within Newcastle from lords who felt , there were sure to be victimized if Godwine lewes was put in control, with the cornwall family , using that to settle old scores for the deaths that had taken place over the last twenty years and the Newcastle lords threatened those at York, that if Godwine lewes was appointed their lord, that they would rebel and embrace the Scottish governance. It took all of Lord Geoffreys skill to keep them on board for the moment but they agree to stay put with the duchy of York provided that the scottish held the castle at warkworth and it would remain scottish, and provide them a modicum of safety....

Many still of the old northern shire rebels had a issue with wales and with ireland, still remembering how there treachery of old, lead to their commanders/friends deaths at the hands, and wished to marshal forces to fight them, seeing as wales and england looked hell bent on war again, but Lord Geoffrey convinced them, now was not the time, whilst their forces were spent, and he announced to the kingdom, that the Duchy of York[including Newcastle] was pronounced a Open City, open to trade to all as he looked to a more mercantile posture for the future, as he hoped to keep his small part of the kingdom away from the turbulence that so undermined the peoples security.

Turn to England

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sk7wbksbu...nd_86.sav?dl=0
    Last edited by paladinbob123; March 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Content Emeritus

England

News of the descending Welsh armies travelled quickly and the brothers Lewes, Samuel and Jasper, saw that the time had come to enact on their plans. Both had long since been in command of a large part of the English armies, primes to invade the Welsh homeland. Lord Protector had given away the element of surprise but now that he had uttered his ultimatum to the Welsh, and they had refused, the Lewes' crossed the border. Jasper, together with Paul Sandy, assaulted the nearly abandoned city of Cardiff and took it with ease. After the city was secured they started their march towards Pembroke, taking the fort guarding the river Lougher.

Meanwhile Samuel marched his forces into the Welsh heartland and layed siege to Montgomery. Though it being lightly defended, Samuel had no spies in the city so he would have to wait for his siege equipment to build. The capital of Wales would fall nonetheless.

Lord Protector Anselm, however, did not strike, favouring instead to take up defensive positions for the welsh coming from the north. The Welsh King had spoken haughtily and had spouted threats at the Protector's feet in his latest letter. He had suggested a battlefield be chosen to duke it out and Anselm's pride and sense for grandeur had been kindled, but when he sent summons to all his commanders only one had answered. Samuel and Jasper Lewes never received the summons and if they had they would've ignored them anyway. The new Lord Protector had little authority over his subjects. Noone openly rebelled but made sure to exploit every situation presented to them. With the invasion of Wales in full swing Anselm had to support his generals and see how things would go.

Battle results

Naval battle

Battle of Cardiff

Battle of the fort

Ireland up: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gleqcz...nd_86.sav/file

zender9's Avatar Domesticus

I need extension please. Difficult turn.

I need extension please. Difficult turn.
    You calculate too much

Current Hotseat:

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

As much as I shirk overthinking myself, it is the leader and legacy of a nation at stake. Change of an era as it were.

Indeed my friend Commodus, its a huge turn for Ireland RP wise.

----------

Betrayed and defeated High King Griffin was bursting with anger. If given the opportunity he would destroy the whole world. He was so close to victory, everything was going great. If only cursed bastard Conall O'Driscoll didn't leave his position. But perhaps it was his faul giving him an army of mercenaries. If there were true Irish soldiers, they would not leave and slaughter the bastard themselves for his treason...

Retreating to south, High King was planning to run away back to Ireland until he gets a new army. So he headed to port of Dumfries, but only to see there were no ships there to get him away. His anger just got out of control, he was hitting, throwing everything he finds around. It must be a bloody nightmare he was claiming. Cursing everyone and everything. After all these years of his successful campaigns, how could everyone just abandon him...

Hours were passing as he started to calm down and think. Drinking wine non stop, he was looking at the map. He had no freaking where to go. After all that happened he couldn't go beg for mercy from King Alexander. Even though he already received a message of pardon from King Alexander; High King had no country to return too. He had nothing more than bunch of wounded soldiers. Ah if only Welsh army was here he dreamed. How he would defeat bloody Scots if two nations fought united. But he himself sent Welsh home. Then he started cursing English too. As he fell asleep drunk in his tent.

---------------

Meanwhile in Ireland Sean O'Neill was already making preparations for taking the throne. It was his grandfather ruling the Ireland once. O'Brien family never deserved to rule in his opinion anyway. Yet he didn't see himself as a King all these years, as his father didn't raise him to be one. Sadly he was raising his only son Magnus to be the king after Griffin as Griffin had no child, but because of Griffin's stupid plans, Magnus died on the battlefield. Now he has 3 daughters and no son. Perhaps it will be a Queen ruling Ireland one day.
    He knew he wasn't fit to be a King, especially in such a dire time.

So he started by trying to settle a peace with Scotland.

-----

English navy in southeast of Ireland was a scary looking situation. As well as the war going on in Wales. He surely didn't want to continue the war with Scotland. Royal army and navy must have returned back to Ireland to protect the island.
    Nevertheless he knew English are not his ally in any case. So, he has no plan to abandon Wales.

Wales up:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...C_wales_86.sav

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

King Tegonwy stands at a brink his Uncle once stood many years ago. Where Llywelyn was pushed off his homeland, never to settle back down at hime, King Tegonwy has a final ultimatum. He will stand a king of the Welshman, or die with his people.

His armies will stand in defense of the Welsh border, without the support of an Irish state polarized by its effort to consolidate under a new king who, while respectful of the kinship with the Welsh, is not a friend of the Welsh King in any respect seen between King Griffon and King Tegonwy. Both lords, a second generation of kingship in the Isles, had a stand to make, and in their efforts they were largely alone, devoid of implicit trust or at least respect between oldguard that had defined the first generation, yet holding no connections to the new lords, the upstarts of younger blood that took reign in England and were a growing force in Scotland and Ireland as well.

For the Irish King, this was the end of the tale; King Tegonwy heard of the news as he made preparations at Carnaveron. Tegonwy had others in his life; his first officer Trachaearn, an old drinking partner who happened to be a great warrior, an old friend of his uncle who had been his mentor, his young wife and growing son, even the scheming representative of a bygone age, Ionafal. Yet King Griffon was a man who had gone above and beyond for Wales, and King Tegonwy had spent more time with the man than with anyone else. Even as the Irish Lord boasted a grizzly reputation, the Welshman and the Irishman had spent many hours by the campfire, speaking of their lives, their childhoods, their families, their futures. They knew the risks when they split for the final time.

No other man could knew the Welsh lord as King Griffon had. No other man shared his vision. King Tegonwy was a man of the people, even if his people tended to be friends and soldiers he could turn his way even as the rest of the world frowned upon him. Yet there was a void created that shall not be filled until the end of his days.

Though the very future of Welsh independence is at stake, King Tegonwy will stand with his people, in his own war, to avoid the mercenary antics of his uncle and the singular cause of his ill-fated friend. In doing so shall Tegonwy find peace once way or another, even if that peace is prone on the battlefield with English carcasses surrounding his broken body, the sun waning on the legacy of Wales.

He was aloof for a fortnight, unapproachable in his mourning even by news of his wife's narrow departure from a Montgomery that, in feeling abandoned, takes a stand all of its own against a king they feel have abandoned them, or by her touch when she arrived days later. Wales divides in two as part of it is left to its countryside for militia and the rest joins the army that will meet the English one way or another before the war has ended. He now stands with grim purpose.

------------

King Tegonwy dismisses the latest errant messages of the English and the Scots. "I'll not waste words on them," he said. "The Scot is a senile fool, and the English is a pet to his lessers." This he spoke in earshot of soldiers and citizens who'd followed his summons, and his bold words of the English and Scottish leaders took wind across the isles. He makes few friends in these troubled times, and has fewer than ever as it is. The Welsh Host itself is not as united as it should be, though it will remain together so as long as the English advance to position.

Though the new Irish King has no real kinship with the older Welsh King, it would seem the mutual respect over the years has gone long enough that the alliance and goodwill stand, perhaps more strongly than King Tegonwy's own position. Though King Tegonwy does not have the issue of sheer lacking authority that King Griffon had in large part due to his charisma (most of the time) and ability to handle his men (even if King Griffon had the raw tactical edge) he does have the unique issue of powerful figures who are not entirely inclined towards the last stand option. Not to mention the enmity for half of Wales that is not so happy for a recall of the people reminiscent of Llywelyn's departure.

It is expected that Lancaster and even Montgomery might not stand for the current situation for much longer, the former especially...

Onto the Scots,
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...cotland_86.sav

I am confused.

The Irish king did not die in the battle.
    How come there is a new king in Ireland?

Current Hotseat:

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I honestly dunno myself. I presume, in general and for the sake of RP to be adjusted if it's revealed otherwise, he's dead from some combat action or whatever. I'd assumed after contact with Scotland for the rebels since he was a bit young for it to be of natural causes.

Don't mind the photo saying King Sean, it is some sort of edited so he would be called King. They come from different families Griffin and Sean, as well as they are both last male from their families. Since Griffin is abandoned and away from Ireland currently. Sean decided to claim himself the king with support of nobles. Unless someone saves Griffin, it looks like he will die anyway.

Don't mind the photo saying King Sean, it is some sort of edited so he would be called King. They come from different families Griffin and Sean, as well as they are both last male from their families. Since Griffin is abandoned and away from Ireland currently. Sean decided to claim himself the king with support of nobles. Unless someone saves Griffin, it looks like he will die anyway.

Ah, nice RP, well done!

Current Hotseat:

Somewhere near Irish-occupied Dumfries...
    ------------------------------------------------

"By taking your life, I am doing you a favour, King Griffin."
    Alexander was looking sharply at the defeated Irish monarch.

The few surviving Irish troops have fled inside the walls of Dumfries, leaving their king behind.

"You see, soon-to-be-King Sean has taken over the throne back in your island.
    If I let you live and return to Ireland, there will surely be civil war. Your death will save your kingdom...not to mention it will satisfy my angry clansmen and the people of Dumfries"

Alexander's words were met with loud hurrahs from the large Scottish armies preparing to siege Dumfries.

The King of Alba continued: "I gave you, no, I asked you, numerous times, to stop this madness and have peace. I even offered to pay war reparations. Yet you refused.
    Well, there is no turning back now. Too much blood has been spilled to let go of it."

"Prince Hew, come over here." Alexander suddenly shouted.
    The young price, surprised, moved forward.

"Execute the High King, since you seem to fantasise about killing kings!" Alexander gave the young Prince the dagger while grabbing his chain-mail.

He then whispered in his ear: "I know about your plot lad, but I will kill NOT you for the same reason I will kill king Griffin: to avoid civil war. I am old and will die soon. I want the clans to support when I die and the keep the realm together. I know you made an offer to Waylander to kill me.
    But have no fear boy, my end is near and you will take over.
    But be careful now, kings are dying like flies recently...It would be shame to die as soon as you are crowned..."

Alexander let go of the prince and walked to his tent.

Hew was stunned for a second, but was brought back to the reality by the Irish king who shouted at him to get it done with.

The Scottish prince looked down at the kneeling Griffin, then, with a swift move, plunged the dagger in his throat.
    He then stood up, cleaned the bloody knife with his cloak, looked towards the walking Alexander and then ordered his men to surround Dumfries.

------------

Elsewhere, in Welsh territory, Scottish men of the dark are still operating.
    A Welsh diplomat was ambushed, probably on his way to Ireland to seek help.

-----------

Barons next: https://www.mediafire.com/file/do9ddflfzyfu4q9/TIOC_Barons_86.sav/file

Current Hotseat:

Lord Geoffrey took command of York , and with Robin & Nicholas the scared taking the castles of Skipton & Conisborough respectively with no issues from the forces of Scotland, as both factions came to a agreement as scotland accepted the terms, and added some of their own. They however [the scots] kept Warkworth castle ..but new castles such as Barnard castle became available , and this was given to Godwine Lewes for a reward for his services...and perhaps seen as this was perhaps the closest castle to newcaslte , perhaps a subtle warning to Newcastle, that if they didnt toll the line, then perhaps Godwine lewes would be given the forces, to claim his birthright to regain that city. Those lords in Newcastle, acknowledged the move, and settled down, to give their taxs to York , compliant and happy for now, or at least giving the appearance of it. Additionally the Pontefract castle [south of York] had been given to Loefwine Horston for his service in the last conflict.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scottish agreement.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	487.0 KB 
ID:	361127

Newcastle commissioned a fairground to bring some cheer to the people, long suffering and looking for something to bolster the morale of the city folk, where-as York moved to advance its port facilities, as both cities moved back to a trading economy, its armies standing down, apart from some individual garrisons, the people tired of constant conflict for so long, that had punished their peoples..

------------

The scottish agent had been travelling south when he was captured by waylander the slayer, he was held captive for some days, whilst the agent tortured the scottish agent , for any details into the scottish kings movements..but sadly the scottish agent, would not yield any information about the scottish king, refusing under the severest of pain to disclose anything before he died. Waylander grunted in admiration of the scottish agent, perhaps knowing , the chances of a strike against the scottish king, would be a feat beyond him, without something special happening on the inside. He recontacted the scottish prince using proxies but sadly received no answers to his inquiries, and shook his head, deciding on easier targets...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waylander interrogates.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	361126

Turn to England
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aix2yhmxh7...nd_87.sav?dl=0

----------------

Glasglow

Glasgow is the most populous city in Scotland, and the third most populous city in the United Kingdom, as of the 2017 estimated city population of 621,020. Historically part of Lanarkshire,

Inhabitants of the city are referred to as "Glaswegians" or, informally, as "Weegies". Glasgow is also known for the Glasgow patter, a distinct dialect of the Scots language that is noted for being difficult to understand by those from outside the city.

Glasgow grew from a small rural settlement on the River Clyde to become the largest seaport in Scotland, and tenth largest by tonnage in Britain. Expanding from the medieval bishopric and royal burgh, and the later establishment of the University of Glasgow in the fifteenth century, it became a major centre of the Scottish Enlightenment in the eighteenth century. From the eighteenth century onwards, the city also grew as one of Great Britain's main hubs of transatlantic trade with North America and the West Indies.

The origin of the name 'Glasgow' is disputed. The name is most likely Cumbric, with a first element being glas, meaning "grey-green, grey-blue", and the second *cöü, "hollow" (c.f. Welsh glas-cau), giving a meaning of "green-hollow" or "(dear) green place". The settlement probably had an earlier Cumbric name, Cathures; the modern name appears for the first time in the Gaelic period (1116), as Glasgu. It is also recorded that the King of Strathclyde, Rhydderch Hael, welcomed Saint Kentigern (also known as Saint Mungo), and procured his consecration as bishop about 540. For some thirteen years Kentigern laboured in the region, building his church at the Molendinar Burn where Glasgow Cathedral now stands, and making many converts. A large community developed around him and became known as Glasgu (often glossed as "the dear Green" or "dear green place").

Glasgow stands on the Clyde, about 15 miles upstream from the river's estuary. The proximity of a good ford probably attracted settlers in the Neolithic and Bronze Ages. A Roman presence can also be detected but there is no evidence of a Roman settlement.

The area around Glasgow has hosted communities for millennia, with the River Clyde providing a natural location for fishing. The Romans later built outposts in the area and, to keep Roman Britannia separate from the Celtic and Pictish Caledonia, constructed the Antonine Wall. Items from the wall, such as altars from Roman forts like Balmuildy, can be found at the Hunterian Museum today.

The city's origins are unclear. Traditionally, St Kentigern (also known as Mungo, c 518-c 603) is supposed to have founded a monastery beside the Molendinar burn, three-quarters of a mile north of the ford. This became the seat of a bishopric, a place of pilgrimage and hence a settlement. An alternative view concerns Govan, about 2 miles downstream on the south side of the Clyde where ancient burials raise the possibility of an important royal centre which could have become an episcopal centre. The bishopric was then translated to the Molendinar site in the 11th or early 12th centuries when the cult of St Kentigern was being fostered.

Glasgow itself was reputed to have been founded by the Christian missionary Saint Mungo in the 6th century. He established a church on the Molendinar Burn, where the present Glasgow Cathedral stands, and in the following years Glasgow became a religious centre. Glasgow grew over the following centuries. The Glasgow Fair reportedly began in the year 1190. The first bridge over the River Clyde at Glasgow was recorded from around 1285, giving its name to the Briggait area of the city, forming the main North-South route over the river via Glasgow Cross. The founding of the University of Glasgow in 1451 and elevation of the bishopric to become the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1492 increased the town's religious and educational status and landed wealth. Its early trade was in agriculture, brewing and fishing, with cured salmon and herring being exported to Europe and the Mediterranean.

Following the European Protestant Reformation and with the encouragement of the Convention of Royal Burghs, the 14 incorporated trade crafts federated as the Trades House in 1605 to match the power and influence in the town council of the earlier Merchants' Guilds who established their Merchants House in the same year. Glasgow was subsequently raised to the status of Royal Burgh in 1611. Glasgow's substantial fortunes came from international trade, manufacturing and invention, starting in the 17th century with sugar, followed by tobacco, and then cotton and linen, products of the Atlantic triangular slave trade.

The Burgh's Foundation
    Jocelin's CryptDuring the 12th century the Scottish crown imported from England the practice of granting certain towns exclusive trading and self-governing privileges so that they could become centres of prosperity and stability. In return for such privileges, these "king's burghs" paid revenues to the crown, their "superior". Early examples included Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Perth, and Glasgow's neighbours Renfrew, Rutherglen and Dumbarton.

Shuttle Street excavationsThe crown also allowed the nobility and the church to have burghs. Some time between 1175 and 1178, Bishop Jocelin of Glasgow obtained a royal charter authorising the bishops to have a burgh at Glasgow.

Dig near Provand's LordshipGlasgow's charter gave it rights almost equal to those enjoyed by the king's burghs. Glasgow was to have a weekly market and its economy was further enhanced during the 1190s when the bishops received the grant of an annual fair, a sort of super-market at which trade was open to both burgesses and strangers.

Growth
    Bishop's CastleA late twelfth century reference to "the first building of the burgh" probably concerns activity south of the cathedral in the area now known as Glasgow Cross. Here the road from the cathedral to the Clyde (High Street/Saltmarket/Bridgegate) meets the road (Trongate/Gallowgate) from Dumbarton to Lanark. Comparative closeness to the river made this site well suited as a market place. Glasgow's built-up area thus comprised two nuclei - one around the cathedral, the other at the market cross. Between and around these lay lands used for pasturage and fuel. Like their rural neighbours, the burgh's inhabitants farmed crops and tended livestock. Their lands (burgage plots) were laid out in long narrow strips at right angles to the main thoroughfares, fronted by tenements and booths with, behind, backlands containing gardens and outhouses. Like most Scottish burghs, Glasgow was not walled. Ditches or small palisades delineated the burgh's boundaries and secured the burgesses' livestock. Ports (or gates) were used as toll collection points rather than for defensive purposes.

In the early 12th century, the picture becomes clearer. In 1136 a cathedral was consecrated (or re-consecrated) on the banks of the Molendinar and thereafter the existence of an episcopal centre at Glasgow is well attested. Alongside the cathedral a settlement with a market developed to serve the needs of the clerics and laity with business at the bishops' court..

The area north of the cross remained largely undeveloped although it was here, on the east side of the later High Street, that the Dominicans (Black Friars) were granted property in 1246. Instead, spreading south-west from the market cross along the line of the later Bridgegate, the burgh reached the river by the late 13th century. By this time, c 1285, there was a wooden bridge, supplementing the ford. The early 14th century saw the burgh extending eastwards along the Gallowgate and westwards along Trongate but neither movement represented much more than ribbon development. The burgh remained small during the medieval period, its population probably not exceeding 1,500 inhabitants.

New Privileges
    The Scottish crown had many burghs and could not support them directly. Several burghs struggled to succeed economically, and some failed altogether. Renfrew and Rutherglen, both king's burghs and potential rivals of Glasgow, never really took off. As Glasgow's bishops owned only one burgh, and they were influential lords, they were more easily able to secure Glasgow's prosperity. Further royal grants enhanced Glasgow's trading privileges and, thereby, the income accruing to the burgh's episcopal superiors from market tolls and rents.

In 1450, the bishops were granted "regality" jurisdiction over their possessions, with the associated privileges. This benefited Glasgow, allowing it to maintain its position just as strict demarcation lines were being drawn between the royal burghs (as the king's burghs were now known) and other burghs, particularly in the lucrative area of foreign trade. So, when the bishops were allowed in 1490 to collect for their own uses the great customs on hides, wool, cloth and various foodstuffs normally reserved to the crown, Glasgow's burgesses were simultaneously confirmed in their right to export such goods, like their counterparts in royal burghs. Later that year, Glasgow was the only non-royal burgh to feature in a list of "frie burghs" in the west allowed to receive imports. The burgh's economic reach must also have been enhanced when the see of Glasgow became an archbishopric in 1492, the territorial jurisdiction of the Glasgow bishops' court thereby being extended to cover the dioceses of Argyll, Dunblane, Dunkeld and Galloway.

New Foundations
    The 15th century also saw several important foundations. Most significant was the founding of the University of Glasgow by Pope Nicholas V in 1451. It would remain very small for several centuries, yet the presence of masters and students probably had some beneficial effects on the local economy. The University also put Glasgow's name on the European map, a matter of no small significance.

Other substantial foundations followed. In the 1470s, the Franciscans (Grey Friars) built their monastery on High Street, west of the Blackfriars monastery and the University. Several churches were established, the largest being the collegiate church of St Mary and St Anne (later known as the Tron church) on Trongate, founded in 1525. Many gifts of property were made to the church. There was a vogue for such donations at that time across Europe, but their appearance in Glasgow does reflect confidence in the health of the local economy.

bishops castle

The Bishop's Castle, also known as Glasgow Castle and as the Bishop's Palace, was a medieval castle in Glasgow, Scotland. It served as the residence of the bishops and archbishops of Glasgow Cathedral until the Reformation, when the last Catholic archbishop, James Beaton, fled to France in about 1560. The castle was completely destroyed in the late 18th century, to make way for the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

The origins of the castle are unclear, but the first development was probably in the 12th century. It was recorded as a royal fortress in the mid 13th century. It had become an episcopal residence by the time of the Wars of Scottish Independence, when William Wallace recaptured the castle from the English in 1296. In 1301 the castle was garrisoned again by Edward I.

In the 15th century a 5-storey keep was built by Bishop Cameron, this was later extended with additional fortifications and buildings, constructed by later bishops. Archbishop Beaton added a large corner tower, and Archbishop Dunbar built a round-towered gatehouse in 1544. The central keep served as the residence of the bishop, and was called the Bishop's Palace. The castle played a role in the many political battles during the 16th century, including the protracted struggle between supporters of Mary, Queen of Scots, and her enemies. It changed hands six times between 1513 and 1570, and was occupied by French troops at one point. In 1544 it was defended against Regent Arran and in 1560 defended for Arran.

The castle fell into disrepair during the 17th century, despite an attempt at repair by Archbishop Ross in the 1680s, and was gradually dismantled for its stone. It was finally demolished completely in 1789, to make way for the construction of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Foundations of the castle were discovered during excavations for the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art in the 1980s. The museum building was designed by architect Iain Begg to reflect the style of the Bishop's Castle. A stone from the castle, with a modern plaque, is located in Cathedral Square, marking the location of the keep.

Crookston Castle

Crookston Castle is located in the Pollok area of south-west Glasgow, Scotland. The castle is located some 5 miles (8 km) south-west of the city centre, and 3 miles (5 km) east of Paisley, overlooking the Levern Water, just before its confluence with the White Cart Water.

Crookston is surrounded by a defensive ring-ditch that dates back to the 12th century when Sir Robert de Croc, who also gave his name to the village of Crookston, built a timber and earth castle. Remains of a chapel founded by de Croc in 1180 have been uncovered.Evidence of an even earlier fortification on the same site has also been found. The lands of Crookston were bought by Sir Alan Stewart in 1330, and passed to Sir John Stewart of Darnley, in 1361. The Darnley Stewarts replaced the early castle with the present stone structure around 1400.

In 1489 the Stewart Earl of Lennox rebelled against James IV. James responded by bringing the cannon Mons Meg from Edinburgh, and bombarding the castle, virtually destroying its western end, and ensuring a quick surrender.In 1544 the castle was besieged and taken by the Earl of Arran and Cardinal Beaton, while the then Earl of Lennox was defending Glasgow Castle. At this time, Crookston was regarded as the principal house of the earls of Lennox.

Most famous of the Darnley Stewarts was Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, who was second husband to Mary, Queen of Scots. It may have been at Crookston that the couple were betrothed, under a yew tree. The yew was felled in 1816, and a model of Crookston Castle, now on display in Pollok House, was carved from its wood. In 1572, Crookston was granted to another Stewart, Charles, the Earl of Lennox.

In 1703 the Duke of Lennox sold the castle to the Duke of Montrose, and it remained the property of the Dukes of Montrose until 1757, when it was sold by William Graham, 2nd Duke of Montrose to the Maxwells of Pollok.Following several years of abandonment, the castle was partially restored by the Maxwells in 1847, to honour Queen Victoria's visit to Glasgow. In 1931, Crookston became the first property acquired by the National Trust for Scotland, having been presented by Sir John Maxwell Stirling-Maxwell, who was one of the Trust's founder members and first Vice Presidents. Today, Crookston Castle is a scheduled monument. Its maintenance is the responsibility of Historic Environment Scotland, and the castle is open to the public.

Glasgow Cathedral

Glasgow Cathedral, also called the High Kirk of Glasgow or St Kentigern's or St Mungo's Cathedral, is the oldest cathedral on mainland Scotland and is the oldest building in Glasgow. Since the Reformation the cathedral continues in public ownership, within the responsibility of Historic Environment Scotland.

The history of the cathedral is linked with that of the city, and is allegedly located where the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Mungo, built his church. The tomb of the saint is in the lower crypt. Walter Scott's novel Rob Roy gives an account of the kirk.

Built before the Reformation from the late 12th century onwards and serving as the seat of the Bishop and later the Archbishop of Glasgow, the building is a superb example of Scottish Gothic architecture. It is also one of the few Scottish medieval churches (and the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland) to have survived the Reformation not unroofed. [which is considered a miracle in itself considering scotlands weather [winks-PBOB ]

James IV ratified the treaty of Perpetual Peace with England at the high altar on 10 December 1502.The cathedral and the nearby castle played a part in the battles of Glasgow in 1544 and 1560. Twenty years after the Reformation, on 22 April 1581 James VI granted the income from a number of lands to Glasgow town for the kirk's upkeep. He traced the ownership of these lands to money left by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar as a legacy for repairing the cathedral. The town council agreed on 27 February 1583 to take responsibility for repairing the kirk, while recording they had no obligation to do so. The church survives because of this resolution. Inside, the rood screen is also a very rare survivor in Scottish churches.

Heraldry

The coat of arms of the City of Glasgow

Supporters Two salmon, bearing rings
    Motto Let Glasgow Flourish by the preaching of Your word, and the praising of Your name.
    The coat of arms of the City of Glasgow was granted to the royal burgh by the Lord Lyon on 25 October 1866. It incorporates a number of symbols and emblems associated with the life of Glasgow's patron saint, Mungo, which had been used on official seals prior to that date. The emblems represent miracles supposed to have been performed by Mungo and are listed in the traditional rhyme:

Here's the bird that never flew
    Here's the tree that never grew
    Here's the bell that never rang
    Here's the fish that never swam

St Mungo is also said to have preached a sermon containing the words Lord, Let Glasgow flourish by the preaching of the word and the praising of thy name. This was abbreviated to "Let Glasgow Flourish" and adopted as the city's motto.

In 1450, John Stewart, the first Lord Provost of Glasgow, left an endowment so that a "St Mungo's Bell" could be made and tolled throughout the city so that the citizens would pray for his soul. A new bell was purchased by the magistrates in 1641 and that bell is still on display in the People's Palace Museum, near Glasgow Green.

The supporters are two salmon bearing rings, and the crest is a half length figure of Saint Mungo. He wears a bishop's mitre and liturgical vestments and has his hand raised in "the act of benediction". The original 1866 grant placed the crest atop a helm, but this was removed in subsequent grants. The current version (1996) has a gold mural crown between the shield and the crest. This form of coronet, resembling an embattled city wall, was allowed to the four area councils with city status.

St Mungo

Kentigern (Welsh: Cyndeyrn Garthwys; Latin: Kentigernus), known as Mungo, was an apostle of the Scottish Kingdom of Strathclyde in the late sixth century, and the founder and patron saint of the city of Glasgow.

In Wales and England, this saint is known by his birth and baptismal name Kentigern (Welsh: Cyndeyrn). This name probably comes from the British *Cuno-tigernos, which is composed of the elements *cun, a hound, and *tigerno, a lord, prince, or king. The evidence is based on the Old Welsh record Conthigirn.

Mungo's mother Teneu was a princess, the daughter of King Lleuddun who ruled a territory around what is now Lothian in Scotland, perhaps the kingdom of Gododdin in the Old North. She became pregnant after being raped by Owain mab Urien according to the British Library manuscript. However, other historic accounts claim Owain and Teneu (also known as Thaney) had a love affair whilst he was still married to his wife Penarwen and that her father, King Lot, separated the pair after she became pregnant. Later, allegedly, after Penarwen died, Tenue/Thaney returned to King Owain and the pair were able to marry before King Owain met his death battling Bernicia in 597 AD.

Her furious father had her thrown from the heights of Traprain Law. Surviving, she was then abandoned in a coracle in which she drifted across the River Forth to Culross in Fife. There Mungo was born.

Mungo was brought up by Saint Serf who was ministering to the Picts in that area. It was Serf who gave him his popular pet-name. At the age of twenty-five, Mungo began his missionary labours on the Clyde, on the site of modern Glasgow. He built his church across the water from an extinct volcano, next to the Molendinar Burn, where the present medieval cathedral now stands. For some thirteen years, he laboured in the district, living a most austere life in a small cell and making many converts by his holy example and his preaching.

A strong anti-Christian movement in Strathclyde, headed by a certain King Morken, compelled Mungo to leave the district, and he retired to Wales, via Cumbria, staying for a time with Saint David at St David's, and afterwards moving on to Gwynedd where he founded a cathedral at Llanelwy (St Asaph in English). While there, he undertook a pilgrimage to Rome. However, the new King of Strathclyde, Riderch Hael, invited Mungo to return to his kingdom.He decided to go and appointed Saint Asaph/Asaff as Bishop of Llanelwy in his place.

For some years, Mungo fixed his Episcopal seat at Hoddom in Dumfriesshire, evangelising thence the district of Galloway. He eventually returned to Glasgow where a large community grew up around him. It was nearby, in Kilmacolm, that he was visited by Saint Columba, who was at that time labouring in Strathtay. The two saints embraced, held long converse, and exchanged their pastoral staves.In old age, Mungo became very feeble and his chin had to be set in place with a bandage. He is said to have died in his bath, on Sunday 13 January.

Miracles
    In the Life of Saint Mungo, he performed four miracles in Glasgow. The following verse is used to remember Mungo's four miracles:

Here is the bird that never flew
    Here is the tree that never grew
    Here is the bell that never rang
    Here is the fish that never swam

The verses refer to the following:

The Bird: Mungo restored life to a robin, that had been killed by some of his classmates.
    The Tree: Mungo had been left in charge of a fire in Saint Serf's monastery. He fell asleep and the fire went out. Taking a hazel branch, he restarted the fire.
    The Bell: the bell is thought to have been brought by Mungo from Rome. It was said to have been used in services and to mourn the deceased. The original bell no longer exists, and a replacement, created in the 1640s, is now on display in Glasgow.
    The Fish: refers to the story about Queen Languoreth of Strathclyde who was suspected of infidelity by her husband. King Riderch demanded to see her ring, which he claimed she had given to her lover. In reality the King had thrown it into the River Clyde. Faced with execution she appealed for help to Mungo, who ordered a messenger to catch a fish in the river. On opening the fish, the ring was miraculously found inside, which allowed the Queen to clear her name. (This story may be confused with an almost identical one concerning King Maelgwn of Gwynedd and Saint Asaph.)

Analysis
    Mungo's ancestry is recorded in the Bonedd y Saint. His father, Owain was a King of Rheged. His maternal grandfather, Lleuddun, was probably a King of the Gododdin; Lothian was named after him. There seems little reason to doubt that Mungo was one of the first evangelists of Strathclyde, under the patronage of King Rhiderch Hael, and probably became the first Bishop of Glasgow.

Jocelin seems to have altered parts of the original life that he did not understand; while adding others, like the trip to Rome, that served his own purposes, largely the promotion of the Bishopric of Glasgow. Some new parts may have been collected from genuine local stories, particularly those of Mungo's work in Cumbria. S. Mundahl-Harris has shown that Mungo's associations with St Asaph were a Norman invention. However, in Scotland, excavations at Hoddom have brought confirmation of early Christian activity there, uncovering a late 6th-century stone baptistery.

Details of Mungo's infirmity have a ring of authenticity about them. The year of Mungo's death is sometimes given as 603, but is recorded in the Annales Cambriae as 612. 13 January was a Sunday in both 603 and 614. David McRoberts has argued that his death in the bath is a garbled version of his collapse during a baptismal service.

In a late 15th-century fragmentary manuscript generally called 'Lailoken and Kentigern', Mungo appears in conflict with the mad prophet, Lailoken alias Merlin. Lailoken's appearance at the Battle of Arfderydd in 573 has led to a connection being made between this battle, the rise of Riderch Hael and the return of Mungo to Strathclyde.

The Life of Saint Mungo bears similarities with Chrétien de Troyes's French romance Yvain, the Knight of the Lion. In Chrétien's story, Yvain, a version of Owain mab Urien, courts and marries Laudine, only to leave her for a period to go adventuring. This suggests that the works share a common source.

Veneration
    Tomb of St. Mungo in the crypt of Glasgow Cathedral.On the spot where Mungo was buried now stands the cathedral dedicated in his honour. His shrine was a great centre of Christian pilgrimage until the Scottish Reformation. His remains are said to still rest in the crypt. A spring called "St. Mungo's Well" fell eastwards from the apse.

His festival was kept throughout Scotland on 13 January. The Bollandists have printed a special mass for this feast, dating from the 13th century. His feast day in the West is 13 January. His feast day in the Eastern Orthodox Church is 14 January.

Mungo's four religious miracles in Glasgow are represented in the city's coat of arms. Glasgow's current motto Let Glasgow flourish by the preaching of His word and the praising of His name and the more secular Let Glasgow flourish, are both inspired by Mungo's original call "Let Glasgow flourish by the preaching of the word".

Saint Mungo's Well was a cold water spring and bath at Copgrove, near Ripon, North Yorkshire, formerly believed effective for treating rickets.

Last edited by paladinbob123; March 30, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Content Emeritus

England

“He did what?!” Lord Protector Anselm yelled. News had just reached Anselm that Samuel Lewes had thrown away the Crown's banner and raised his for the Northern Shires. It seemed that mere insolence was not enough for the son of Lewes, now it was outright rebellion. Samuel Lewes joined his older brother Godwine. Still he was stuck in Wales and Anselm had a mind to keep him trapped there, England still controlling the only crossing in the neighbourhood. Something would have to be done about these rebellious vassals. But that is a problem for another time, first to subdue the Welsh.

Meanwhile Paul Sandy and Jasper Lewes continued their conquest of Wales, adding Pembroke to the English Crown's lands. A swift capture of the Citadel was guaranteed by the great network of agents England could field. The small Welsh garrison resisted fiercly but were too few to stop the English onslaught.

“Sails in sight!” cried the sailor in the mast. “Welsh Dragons approaching!” Admiral Robin, delighted to hear such news, signalled every ship giving each their orders, to prepare for battle. Robin was an experienced sailor. He had been there in the invasion of northern England by the Scots, defending the less focused, yet still crucial eastern seas. He had been promoted admiral after he defeated a large cannon ship fleet of Scottish ships blockading the port of York. Through his ingenuity and unprecedented courage he had defeated a far superior fleet. The remainder of that war he had shipped English citizens to safety, fleeing the Scottish occupied territories. Now he was in command of the largest fleet England has seen since the days of Edward the First and his disastrous invasion of Ireland.

They had been given orders to set sail to the Sea of Ireland and find the Welsh ships, carrying their armies and most of their nobility and, by the looks of it, they had found them. Robin could see their sails, bobbing up and down in the distance. They were clumped together but their seemed no cohesion in their formation. Robin had brought eighteen ships with him and counted the Welsh had only thirteen. Robin grinned.

“Full sails!” he cried.

The sun was setting in the west and a purple hue hung in the northern sky. Leaving broken vessels and drowning men behind the lion-bannered ships of England returned victorious. The Dragon had been defeated, it's fire extinguished, it's corpse on the bottom of the sea.

With the Welsh King and most of his nobility dead, Lord Protector Anselm sent an ultimatum, the same he had given Tegonwy, to the remainder of the Welsh nobles. Wales would submit or fall!

Siege of Pembroke - Spy chance

Ireland up: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s7e7mj...nd_87.sav/file

Oh wow, big events this turn!

The Northern Shires gaining a huge army and a rebellion, the Welsh armies annhiliated, the irish king and his hordes defeated in Scotland, the Scottish Prince plotting against his king...and the resurgence of England as a superpower...
    Last edited by Der Böse Wolf; March 31, 2020 at 06:00 AM.

Current Hotseat:

Wales up:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...C_wales_87.sav

Alas! Welsh navy has been sunked and King Tegonwy died with his mighty army. With the terrible news arriving to Dublin, Irish navy lost no time sailing to face most likely damaged English navy and look out for Welsh surviviors.
    It didn't seem like there was any survivor left, but English navy wasn't moving. Many ships weren't in good condition to sail away immediately and lots of wounded sailors were making it difficult for navy to move as one.
    Seeing the number in our advantage, Irish navy attacked with full force. Knowing there is no chance of victory, Admiral Robin ordered whatever strong ship he has to sail south and flee. Leaving damaged ships behind.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...4-55-31-61.jpg
    It was an easy victory for Ireland. But a terrible defeat for Celtic Alliance, as Wales had no protector and no forces left.

News of Griffin's death was still a shake for Irish people. He was the High King nonetheless. But peasants didn't have much of a right of talking. Whatver King comes, taxes were the same. God bless our lands they were praying.
    King Sean negotiated and came to a peace agreement with Scotland. Now that Wales will likely fall apart, he needed his peace with Scotland more than ever. Ordered all his men to march for a war. In this British Isles, war was never ending...

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A grievous tactical error had been committed, and the spark of Welsh Independence was quashed at sea. Such was uncharacteristic of the fine tactile mind that was King Tegonwy, and yet his end, while a more glorious showing of flame and swords against the bulk of the English Armada, was ultimately for naught. He, at least, had been spared an inglorious execution, and his body like those of so many that accompanied him was now a lost feature of the waves. Waves that swept away all that transpired, including a swift avenging from fleets that still held great respect for the Welsh King.

Nonetheless, with the Welsh Command and the bulk of Welsh Armies eviscerated, all that remains is a token administration that is less content to die in unwinnable battle.

The families of Lord Trachaeran and King Tegonwy have disappeared. Lord Ionafal retired in the months after the decisive naval battle. Upon settling most affairs and positioning his wife to best advise the new King in light of his waning health, he succumbed to his wounds and age sapping his strength, leaving King Vortipor the current and sole administrator for Welsh affairs. The new King is not a regent; he is officially the undisputed ruler of Wales, per the authority of the Welsh Army and the English Crown.

Diplomatic relations with Ireland have been frozen and are likely to lose credence should they be called upon. Complications in the diplomatic apparatus of the country, including a rebellious diplomat who abuses their policies to support the Irish in token form, a few scattered fleets and some economic strain from the self-exiled Welsh merchant, have resulted in administrative shutdown as King Vortipor and his aides attempt to personally handle the rogues and cutthroats prevailing the Welsh countryside, including the rebellious Lord Samuel Lewes. King Vortipor in particular denounces the Welsh agents and admiral who rebel to Ireland, and affirms that any individual or state to bring their end will be given a modest, but notable sum - including the Irish, should they see the wisdom against housing enemies of Wales and England.

It is worth noting their longer term protection may be in the benefit of parties antagonistic to England and the English-Welsh administration, as well.

I'd meant, again, to put out a bit more/different, but given the time already and some ingame messages, eh...

Onto the Scots,
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...cotland_87.sav