Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: PFM 5.0 - Warhammer 2 support

Default Re: PFM 5.0 - Warhammer 2 support

Good lord your right, i was editing the a copy that's not even being used by the game

Literal hours i spent last night looking at this! Thank you though, its worked now!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

"I don't understand, the more I change this unused file, the less effect it has!.. Maybe if I change it even more? :p "

Is it possible to delete rows of the original data.pack using a .pack mod? I made several mods and a couple of them would be "cleaner" if it was possible.

Yes, just keep the original table name in your mod and it will override the original table's contents. This is typically discouraged since it's bad for mod compatibility, but in some cases, like yours, it is necessary.

Slor's Avatar Civis

Anybody else having stability issues with versions 5.2.2 or 5.24? I get crashes every few minutes with these. A while back I was using an older version, and I used it for a long time as the schema updates kept it working the new tables, but now its too far out of date. Never experienced crashes like this with any previous versions tho, just these two. Tried fresh installs, but no fix. Anyone with similar issues/ideas?

What happens when it crashes? Does it just close without notice or does an error window pop up? I don't think anything that could lead to instability has been introduced since version 5.0.0 so it would help to know which older version you are referring to. To my knowledge most (but not all) crashes without error windows in PFM are caused by problems with the .NET installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Genreless View Post
    Yes, just keep the original table name in your mod and it will override the original table's contents. This is typically discouraged since it's bad for mod compatibility, but in some cases, like yours, it is necessary.
    Im not sure what you mean... When I want to override something I just copy the entire table in a blank pack and delete everything but the rows I want to edit. The problem is that sometimes I dont want to edit rows but to remove them.

For example, lets say that there is a row that makes an unit exclusive to one clan. To make that unit available to other clans I have to copy that row for every single clan but, ideally, id want to just remove that row.

Quote Originally Posted by Asture View Post
    Im not sure what you mean... When I want to override something I just copy the entire table in a blank pack and delete everything but the rows I want to edit. The problem is that sometimes I dont want to edit rows but to remove them.

For example, lets say that there is a row that makes an unit exclusive to one clan. To make that unit available to other clans I have to copy that row for every single clan but, ideally, id want to just remove that row.
    To my knowledge, when packs are loaded, the last table with a given name is the one whose data is used. If there are tables with different names in the same folder, all of their data is loaded (still following the same named table rule) and if any entries have the same key values, the last one loaded for each key value is used. There is a chance this has changed since I last made a mod since it's been at least half a year but I don't think they changed how tables load.

Slor's Avatar Civis

What happens when it crashes? Does it just close without notice or does an error window pop up? I don't think anything that could lead to instability has been introduced since version 5.0.0 so it would help to know which older version you are referring to. To my knowledge most (but not all) crashes without error windows in PFM are caused by problems with the .NET installation.
    Think the version I used to use must have been 4.1.2, I have 3.5.1 also, but I believe I used that one on ETW/NTW. Hard to remember, took a break for a while. My .NET is 4.8 and the error that I get is usually 'table cannot be null' even though its not a must have value table most the time. I'm working in special ability phases and you can leave alot of those fields blank if needed and it still gives me that same error.

To my knowledge, when packs are loaded, the last table with a given name is the one whose data is used. If there are tables with different names in the same folder, all of their data is loaded (still following the same named table rule) and if any entries have the same key values, the last one loaded for each key value is used. There is a chance this has changed since I last made a mod since it's been at least half a year but I don't think they changed how tables load.
    If I use the exact same table name but my pack just has 1 row which is different, by your logic, it should load just that one row (which it doesnt, cause otherwise it wouldnt be playable), not the entire original table + my mod. I think it loads first the original, then the mods that might modify the original.

If the original table is:
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3

And my mod does this:
    Entry 3 mod

The final load is this:
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3 mod

At least thats what I get with my mods, and they work correctly. Otherwise instead of load the entire table with hundreds of entries, it would load instead my mod with a couple of them and the game would be unplayable.
    Anyway, my point is that using the original table above, if I make a mod like this to remove entry 2:
    Entry 1
    Entry 3

The final load will be (original + mod):
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3

I tested it copying the entire building_levels table then removing the buddhist temple level 1, but it still allows me to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slor View Post
    Think the version I used to use must have been 4.1.2, I have 3.5.1 also, but I believe I used that one on ETW/NTW. Hard to remember, took a break for a while. My .NET is 4.8 and the error that I get is usually 'table cannot be null' even though its not a must have value table most the time. I'm working in special ability phases and you can leave alot of those fields blank if needed and it still gives me that same error.
    I don't know what has changed between versions prior to 5.0.0 since that is the version PFM had when I joined the team, but I don't think anything should have changed in the table parser that would have broken the table read. To help me narrow down where the problem is occurring, could you send me the full error text (I assume there is more since most errors say a lot more than just 'table cannot be null.'). It would also help if you could tell me which game's files you're modding, whether you're trying to modify vanilla tables or a mod's tables, which schema version is being used for the table by both the pack file and the parser (can be found by right-clicking on the table name then selecting 'Open->Open DecodeTool...' where it will be displayed near the bottom-right after 'Typename:'), and when the error occurs (opening the table, changing values, saving the table, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by Asture View Post
    If I use the exact same table name but my pack just has 1 row which is different, by your logic, it should load just that one row (which it doesnt, cause otherwise it wouldnt be playable), not the entire original table + my mod. I think it loads first the original, then the mods that might modify the original.

If the original table is:
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3

And my mod does this:
    Entry 3 mod

The final load is this:
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3 mod

At least thats what I get with my mods, and they work correctly. Otherwise instead of load the entire table with hundreds of entries, it would load instead my mod with a couple of them and the game would be unplayable.
    Anyway, my point is that using the original table above, if I make a mod like this to remove entry 2:
    Entry 1
    Entry 3

The final load will be (original + mod):
    Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3

I tested it copying the entire building_levels table then removing the buddhist temple level 1, but it still allows me to build it.
    Based off of what you've said, I assume you're modding Shogun 2. To test, I made two mods: one which removed the yari hero's abilities, and another that removed all unit abilities other than the yari ashigaru's (and gave yari ashigaru banzai). It appears you are right that this method doesn't remove table entries in Shogun 2. I know it works in Rome2 through Warhammer 1 (and I think after Warhammer 1 also) but apparently not in Shogun 2. Since a quick google search and look through the Shogun 2 forums isn't providing helpful information for me, I have to say that I also don't know how to simply remove entries in Shogun 2. You may want to start a new thread asking for help in the relevant sub-forum to see if more people find your question.

Slor's Avatar Civis

Does PFM create an error log? I could print screen the popup window, problem is its longer than whats shown with no ability to scroll or move. Decode tool window doesnt come up during these crashes. Right now I'm modding all special_ability_phase related tables and unit_abilities and unit_special_abilities tables. Both vanilla and mod files, parse 46 and 46 on unit_special_abilities and 33 and 33 on special_ability_phases(most crashes on these two), schema 138, changing values is when it occurs.

If PFM creates an error log, I'm not aware of it. From the sound of things so far, I'm assuming that you're modding Warhammer 2 and PFM is translating one of your inputs to null when the schema tells it that isn't a valid value. It would help if you could send me as much of the text from the popup window as possible as that typically tells me what functions are being called in what order to lead to the error so I know for sure instead of guessing at the string of events leading to the error. It may also help if you could tell me how you are changing the tables when you change them (e.g:deleting the value in a cell (including the column name), deleting some rows, deleting all rows) since a quick attempt on my part to create a pack with those tables and use it to break PFM has failed so far.

Slor's Avatar Civis

Unable to replicate it myself even tho it can happen in literally any field in special_ability_phases for example. It acts more like a memory issue, over time and with quantity it will eventually crash. This last crash I had I've been working in the first 4 fields of that table for over ten minutes with no issue, then crash when changing a value even tho i've done maybe 25 similar edits with no problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pfmerror.jpg  

Sorry for the delay in my response. I still can't reproduce the problem myself. I have a rough idea of where the problem is happening, but no clue why. Are you using the "Find" or "Replace" prompts in PFM? I will upload a debug release to the "Alpha" folder in the files tab on Sourceforge in the hopes that it has a clearer error message since the message might be more obscure than it otherwise would be due to release optimization (though I don't think it's likely to help much). If you want a faster solution and the error is actively crashing PFM for you, I do know of one workaround you could try though my attempts to use it caused a lot of non-fatal error messages. If you get rid of the DBEditorTableControl.dll file, PFM will be forced to use the old table editor. This removes a lot of the quality-of-life features that the new editor brought and causes the aforementioned errors, but it might help you avoid the crashes if the problem is in that dll file like I think.

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

Good day Sir,

new dlc arrived today and several tables require new schema:

melee_weapons_tables
    mercenary_unit_groups_tables
    special_ability_phases_tables
    unit_special_abilities_tables
    units_custom_battle_permissions_tables

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

Schema 139 is out now. It covers all the changes due to Warhammer 2's latest update. The full change-list can be found in the Schema Update Thread.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Seems it's more then this tables. After the new DLC my mod not working anymore. I don't use the tables you mentioned.
    Tried to remove tables with vanilla data files, but without success yet.

I use as main tables

land...
    main….
    variants...

and some other which are necessary to add Units.
    Last edited by joedreck; December 16, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Quote Originally Posted by joedreck View Post
    Seems it's more then this tables. After the new DLC my mod not working anymore. I don't use the tables you mentioned.
    Tried to remove tables with vanilla data files, but without success yet.

I use as main tables

land...
    main….
    variants...

and some other which are necessary to add Units.
    I seem to have misunderstood your problem. When I tried opening the tables you had listed both before and after your edit, they all opened fine and showed no parsing errors. What are you trying to do and how is it failing? If PFM is failing to open a table for you, could you attach a copy of the pack file it is failing to open the table in?

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Hello all. Currently trying to make a fairly simple and small Battle Speed mod and I can't get my changes to apply in-game.

I'm modifying 3 tables, _kv_fatigue_tables, land_units_tables, unit_fatigue_effects_tables.
    I altered the fatigue tables to slow down how quickly units get fatigued and altered the land_units table with one change, a value of 35 in the damage_mod_all key for all units that had a value equal to 0.

After making the changes I pruned the tables, renamed them with a prefix, and installed the .pack file to my data folder. The mod appears in the TW Launcher and can be activated. In spite of all this, I'm not seeing the change in-game. I isolated one unit for testing, line 441 wh2_main_def_inf_witch_elves_0 (Dark Elf - Witch Elves) and increased the unit's melee attack and defense by 100, as well as altering all of the damage_type modifiers to values other than 0 for quick and easy recognition in the custom battle interface by checking the unit card. Still not seeing any changes.

Help here would be greatly appreciated. Download my .pack file here.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Silven; December 22, 2019 at 02:21 PM.