Thread: Star Wars Battlefront 2 EA

Default Star Wars Battlefront 2 EA

Obligatory thread start:

Whatever.

I wanted to talk about the open beta that is from the 6th to the 9th of this month, going on right now. In short, the game is very fun to play with aesthetically gorgeous maps included (Naboo). The class system and the way they handle characters is much better than the drop in system in the first, in my opinion. My biggest gripes are the awful convoluted menu UI. It is absolute trash. In the main menu you can only see certain classes, not all - in menu you can customize the first order flametrooper, and look over it's abilities, but you can't customize the many other types of special classes included. Only the republic ship shows when you look over classes, not the imperial ships which have some different skills. There is way too much room wasted on the screen, it is very difficult to navigate to certain things, like challenges. They don't tell you this, you have to go into career challenges, then specific challenges, then you have to redeem your challenge reward! I had been playing for hours and was telling my friend this at the time, "you see these few challenges showing on the end match screen?" "It doesn't show you at all what you are rewarded for completing them, and there are only a few shown here at random, these are not all the challenges, and these have nothing to do with what I am playing!". Yes, they have a challenges tab at the end matches that shows absolutely random, and even completed challenges. You will have challenges for playing the assault class, in starfighter. Starfighter challenges in infantry modes showing. You can't even see what your abilities do in game, so you better hope you looked it over before you spawned, because you aren't going to know what they do otherwise. It makes no sense. On top of that squad play also makes no sense. I was grouped up with a friend of mine, and I think I only ever saw him twice, there is little to know cooperation, most people are just running around doing their own thing. Another thing, the hero units could use a bit of tweaking, like darth maul can't deflect shots with his saber. Special units like republic gun ship are just awful. It flies around automatically you have no control, you are just a turret, so you can potentially (and this actually happened to me) just have the gun ship fly you around in circles while no enemies even come near you so you wasted 400 points on nothing.

Map design, while like I said gorgeous, is awful. The strike map (infantry mode) heavily favors the resistance side, as the first order have to grab then capture an item all the way through the resistance spawn. You have to get the item from inside a building where there are only 2 ways in, so you have to go through chokeholds to even get to the objective. Absolutely ridiculous. First Order can be completely funneled and locked in with no rotating spawns, and no way to get to the objective except for the same old 2 ways. Don't get me wrong as I also said, the gameplay is very fun, so even so I have to say I enjoyed the infantry mode the most, but that's just a personal preference. Naboo is fun, but very simple. It is one map where one team just goes straight through an urban center, no deviations, until they get to the palace where a very simple capture mode takes place from then on. Nothing like Hoth, very, very simple. The shining light in all the beta is starfighter. Controlling the ships is fun, it's a huge open space combat center with multiple objectives, this is the one thing, in my opinion, that is designed perfectly. I was having an absolute blast with my friend, you must work together, while also having the freedom of a very large, open map. Moving objective points and flying obstacles make this extremely interesting and fun to play.

If they can fix the glaring issues I would probably recommend this game. I doubt they will change Naboo, but we only have a taste of the modes that will be included. Some special unit/hero tweaking, spawn tweaking, adding doors, and a complete UI overhaul, I think this game would be awesome!
    Last edited by SturmChurro; October 07, 2017 at 07:00 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2 EA

Hijacking this to say that they've restored multiplayer for the REAL Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the 2005 version).
    The fake one (i.e. the new DICE made game) looks pretty though, I'll give it that.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

It's already a huge improvement over the first EA Battlefront.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'd just like to know how the single player is since I don't care that much for multiplayer, I rarely play that so am not that competitive with it and shooters these days just give ridiculous rewards to people who play the game lots and are great at it, making it only even harder for newcomers.
    They practically send newcomers in with a knife while the veteran players get machine guns, grenades and a tank.

Can you even improve classes in single player, playing against bots? Can you play against bots? I rather practice first through that and level up a bit before going online.

Still it's a lot of money too. It looks pretty great and I am craving for a new star wars game since they don't really get made at all anymore in the last 10 years aside from a failed MMO and all kinds of lego garbage.
    But that season pass garbage makes it very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I'd just like to know how the single player is since I don't care that much for multiplayer, I rarely play that so am not that competitive with it and shooters these days just give ridiculous rewards to people who play the game lots and are great at it, making it only even harder for newcomers.
    They practically send newcomers in with a knife while the veteran players get machine guns, grenades and a tank.

Can you even improve classes in single player, playing against bots? Can you play against bots? I rather practice first through that and level up a bit before going online.

Still it's a lot of money too. It looks pretty great and I am craving for a new star wars game since they don't really get made at all anymore in the last 10 years aside from a failed MMO and all kinds of lego garbage.
    But that season pass garbage makes it very expensive.
    Yeah, but they aren't doing a season pass this time. The content updates are free. They are going to make their money from the loot crates I think.

Loot crates? Some way for people to get better gear by paying for it? Pay to win?

I read there's split screen too, that should be great. If anything that can be unlocked through online play can also be unlocked there I'd never go online at all.
    Could be nice to play against a friend, fighting against each other with bots on our side. Or together on the same team. As long as there are bots to round it out.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Everyone is copying Overwatch now with the loot crates. They've seen just how lucrative it is...even single player games like Shadow of War are hopping on the hype train.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Everyone is copying Overwatch now with the loot crates. They've seen just how lucrative it is...even single player games like Shadow of War are hopping on the hype train.
    Loot crates? Some way for people to get better gear by paying for it? Pay to win?

I read there's split screen too, that should be great. If anything that can be unlocked through online play can also be unlocked there I'd never go online at all.
    Could be nice to play against a friend, fighting against each other with bots on our side. Or together on the same team. As long as there are bots to round it out.
    Yep. There loot crates are pay to win. You get upgrades directly from the crates, on top of that progression is based off how many cards/upgrades to those cards you own. So your most played class could be level 2, while your least played could be level 8 based on RNG. You can still unlock these crates in game, but it takes forever to earn credits, and it isn't based on how well you, or your team did. It is based, it seems, on how long these matches last, so, and I was telling my friend this, if you are winning you want to drag it out as long as possible, so you make as much money as possible. You aren't guaranteed an upgrade either, even if you bought the crates, so they want you to fall into the trap of buying more and more and more, until you get what you want/need.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; October 09, 2017 at 07:19 AM.

Well how useful would those crates be for someone who just plays offline though? With a friend and bots?

And can you earn credits offline too?

Well how useful would those crates be for someone who just plays offline though? With a friend and bots?

And can you earn credits offline too?
    I mean, I don't know if they are going to have a traditional bot mode of old. Where it was like a regular multiplayer experience, but with bots. They do have a PVE mode, but it's a specific mode with specific missions. Yes, you can earn credits in it, from what I played in the beta. There are bots in the starfighter mode, but I think those are just supplemental. No server browser either.

Played the beta for three hours because I couldn't support any more than that. It's a bland bore fest.

Mainly I just like to know if it will be valid to purchase without playstation plus. I don't care about playing online much in any game.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

I played like 10+ hours because I liked this Galatic + starfighter assault modes so much and I was thinking about to preorder... unfortunately it fall to that horrible Loot system.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    It's already a huge improvement over the first EA Battlefront.
    That doesn't change the predatory business model used by EA. Unfortunately people will buy it in droves and affirm the EA decision makers that their strategy works. Micro transactions and Pay-to-win are the future of AAA gaming, and it's all on the consumers who keeps letting EA do it.

Skipping this because of the loot boxes. Sure they took it out for now for the holidays when they get most sales but I want to know what they will do with it in January.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Apparently sales got big hit this time. Huge amount of drop from previous game.

The loot system is so ingrained in the games overall design I don't think you could remove it completely without having to redesign the whole game.

Never mind there is always Pandemics Star Wars:Battlefront 2 (2005)

EA and Disney shareholders shouldn't be so greedy

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Honestly I went back to play my pc copy of The original BF2 and can say I think this is a case of nostalgia taking hold.. for the time it was brilliant but going back even without thinking of graphics the ground gameplay is just dull in comparison and space combat becomes a bit of a chore, my ps2 along with all my games were stolen in 2007 when our house was robbed by my sisters ex boyfriend so I have been waiting on this new game quite a while.. yes it has flaws, the lootbox system was horribly implemented and while I can understand licensing issues in regards to customization options still think it should have been implemented, even if just simple things for now like choosing between Anakin's 501st blue or the orange of Obi Wan's 212th attack battalion.

I had more fun in the campaign then Battlefield One and COD WW2 for sure, while that may be due to the technical level of it the combat is fluid and flying a joy which also carries over nicely to the multiplayer unlike COD games where the campaign is decent yet multiplayer feels a half decade behind in many aspects.

I love the historical feel of Battlefield One but you can just get into a Battlefront game and enjoy the experience.. currently progression feels a bit off due to a limit of 4 main guns per class right now meaning 500 kills to unlock the 4th, and then due to the lootbox system vs a more traditional system of progression though you can use crafting parts to unlock and upgrade star cards which I just realized the other day.

Lastnight playing Mos Eisley as an officer I was in a standoff from the ground shooting at an X-Wing that had shot me down earlier, I am sure my shots barely did any damage but were right on the cockpit, he made two passes opening fire on me... the second pass as he slowly swept down for the kill I stood there firing off waiting to see what would happen, he did indeed kill me but almost simultaneously with my last shot was blown up by a passing Tie Fighter, it was a pretty heartwarming personal experience I haven't had in a shooter game in years.

On sale I definitely recommend it, I could see it getting old after a few weeks until they introduce some map packs but for now I enjoy just getting into a few games of galactic assault then shutting it off (Gave my 360 away over a year ago now my brain just seems to start rejecting shooter games after an hour)

Does it have its problems.. yes, but those do not make it worth not picking up if someone is interested, I can understand for many it's about the industry not game itself and after Mass Effect Andromeda I certainly am no fan of EA but there are only so many games worth picking up these days.

I would enjoy a hybrid galactic/space assault and hope they could implement something like it.. a nice space battle before a small cinematic leading to the invasion of a planet, would also be nice if they added the ability to command some of the main capital ship weapons after acquiring a certain number of battle points.
    Last edited by Krieglord; December 02, 2017 at 06:42 PM.

Well there are still enough games for me to pick up and I don't usually buy games for the full price. When I do it must be something I truly looked forward to and of a developer who I feel deserves my money. I just can't reward the stuff EA does. And I don't trust them. I imagine they will bring back the loot boxes in January after they made lots of christmas sales.

Still, currently I still have Warhammer 2 and Spellforce 3 that I look forward to playing more than this game, but even here I am waiting for a good discount.
    Only games I am currently waiting for that I'd pay full price for next year are Soul Calibur 6 and Red Dead Redemption 2.