Thread: Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

Hello, i've gotten a new strat-model for Hyrule Total War that i'd really like to see in the submod which is releasing in two days.

Bantu Chieftain made it out of the Undying Nephalim's battle-model, and i've tried using both one and two textures - both .TGA and .TGA.DDS - none worked.

I looked into the .CAS-file and saw that it had the empire_capitan-texture from Warhammer as a required file. I've placed it inside of models_strat/textures and also added a faction with it's line that is not in use - as required by the tips on the CTD-thread.

Still, it crashed - and i have no idea why or if it's the texture, the model or the entry..

Neph never made proper models for the Oocca faction on the map, so unless this one is properly implemented i'm forced to use a placeholder model of another faction from version 4.6 of the game. But this one that is not working is a proper model for the faction.

Code that fails to work inside of descr_model_strat. The names are correct for the .cas and .tga/.tga.dds texture files.

Code:
    type                oocca_stratsoldier
    skeleton            strat_named_with_army
    scale                0.8
    indiv_range            40
    texture                papal_states, models_strat/textures/ooc_main2.tga
    texture                wizzrobe, models_strat/textures/Empire_capitan.tga
    texture                slave, models_strat/textures/ooc_main2.tga
    model_flexi_m            models_strat/ooc_general.CAS, max
    shadow_model_flexi        models_strat/shadow_sword.CAS, max
    CTD-message:

Code:
    2:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/ooc_main2.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/ooc_main2_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/models_strat/textures/ooc_main2_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/ooc_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/models_strat/textures/ooc_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/Empire_capitan.tga (from: D:\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/Empire_capitan_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/models_strat/textures/Empire_capitan_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/Empire_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/models_strat/textures/Empire_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/ooc_main2.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/ooc_main2_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/models_strat/textures/ooc_main2_gloss.tga
    19:52:10.569 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Hyrule/data/models_strat/textures/ooc_gloss.tga
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 13, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

bitterhowl's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

In my experience with this you only need to copy texture that written in .cas into /textures folder without any new lines in character record.

My sister, do you still recall
    The blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?

Because AI is dumb and full of errors.

Default Re: Trying to add a new strat-model to the mod - CTD when about to load?

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    In my experience with this you only need to copy texture that written in .cas into /textures folder without any new lines in character record.
    Yes, mine as well - i did it because of safety. Still it did CTD so this doesn't help with the issue.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Bantu Chieftain re-riged the model based on a second model, and it still caused the crash when about to start loading the campaign. I tried adding it to Warcraft Total War with the same crash - i am guessing the model has an issue.. But what?
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 15, 2019 at 03:09 PM.

- The Havamal

Gigantus's Avatar The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

If the texture was the problem then you would get an 'out of video memory' error. The texture itself is humongous: 1024*1024. Unless you want your mod to turn into a slide show I would suggest to reduce that to the default 256*256.

Just looking at the size of the CAS\MS3D files I am of no doubt what caused the crash: vertex count. (12K!!!!) This tut might help you to take of the count problem.

A standard quality unit strat model will come in at about 1.5K vertices, CAS file below 100KB and M3SD at about 200KB and uses a 256*256 texture. Anything above that is a waste of detail and a strain on graphic processing (or a crash in your case).
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 24, 2019 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    If the texture was the problem then you would get an 'out of video memory' error. The texture itself is humongous: 1024*1024. Unless you want your mod to turn into a slide show I would suggest to reduce that to the default 256*256.

Just looking at the size of the CAS\MS3D files I am of no doubt what caused the crash: vertex count. (12K!!!!) This tut might help you to take of the count problem.

A standard quality unit strat model will come in at about 1.5K vertices, CAS file below 100KB and M3SD at about 200KB and uses a 256*256 texture. Anything above that is a waste of detail and a strain on graphic processing (or a crash in your case).
    Thanks, but i tried following this guide and ran into the issue with the "Balancer Light"-program not being able to handle any models with more than 15k triangles. This model has 18k triangles so it can't be loaded. It states something about using Balancer Demo instead?

- The Havamal

Gigantus's Avatar The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

I am afraid I am a total noob when it comes to these things, this tutorial is as far as progressed. I don't have a link to the balancer tool, but I am sure it's worth following up. Bantu Chieftain isn't around any more to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I am afraid I am a total noob when it comes to these things, this tutorial is as far as progressed. I don't have a link to the balancer tool, but I am sure it's worth following up. Bantu Chieftain isn't around any more to help out?
    I wrote to him, i hope he will help out in reducing the polygons. I also found that the program is easy to use, but they do not allow you to save any progress unless you pay for it if using the demo-version. If using the "Lite"-version they do not allow as many triangles and polygons. They do allow 10k poly and 15k triangles - but the model in question has 12k poly and 18k triangles.

The demo version could handle the model, but then they do not allow me to save it. I also am unable to pay for anything on the internet due to an old court decision. Since 2017 they removed the "internet bank" for me and others that have a particular situation in Sweden. I hate the country since ten years ago - but at least i had an internet bank up until 2017. Swedbank changed it's policies and removed the service for people like me.

When trying to find a cracked version i ran into a virus. I've just removed it - it's annoying how every file you want has a malware using the same name.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 25, 2019 at 10:23 PM.

- The Havamal