Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mortal Empire Campaign

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Mortal Empire Campaign

The main problem for me at the moment is the Chaos invasion, having a major world event tied directly to how much the player has expanded is not how to design a sandbox... they need to re-implement the timeout function for the Chaos invasion.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caelifer_1991 View Post
    The main problem for me at the moment is the Chaos invasion, having a major world event tied directly to how much the player has expanded is not how to design a sandbox... they need to re-implement the timeout function for the Chaos invasion.
    I disagree. Having it tied to player's progress is sandboxy compared to time based as in pre patch.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Well some kind of condition has to be put in. Either time. Not sooner than number of turns... or condition about player strenght. Ideally combination of both....How else would you determine the right time?
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

The thing is, a combination of both, with a randomised element, is how it was before. To me thus, changing it was a mistake and a regression of game design. I realise a lot of people were complaining about it but the appropriate response would have been to tone down the randomised element of where the Chaos hordes spawn from, have them spawn primarily around the Northern Wastes, as is in keeping with the lore, and perhaps limit the spawning of other Chaos hordes elsewhere to no more than a stack or two... such that appropriate city defences and maybe a single low tier army could contain them, but enough that it would not be possible for the player to simply camp all his armies in the north and know that the rest of his/ her empire was safe from Chaos invasion.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; November 27, 2017 at 12:44 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

We do have some randomize events like the Rogue Armies which left uncheck for long will attack your settlements.

Usually, when they appear I'll always try to get NAP first and them alliance if possible. In they refuse I will send back one of my stack to be near which then in most cases they will leave your area.

I like the way Chaos is done now compared to set to time since it will make us rush just for the event.

When we have it early, Chaos feels like mid game challenge rather than end game challenge. Of course the downside is that once you already big, Chaos may not feel like a challenge at all.

Surely you must feel that it ruins your experience though?... Knowing that you can just rest up, relax, build up your defences and armies, get everything where you want it... before unleashing Chaos upon the world at a whim by taking that one last province taking you over the province threshold... Does it not ruin it for you, knowing that you have this power simply through virtue of being the player?

Personally, when playing a sandbox, I want to feel as if the world would carry on fine without me, that I am just one part of that world and must make my way within it... knowing that I hold the entire thing in my hands just through virtue of being the player rather than one of the AI controlled factions ruins the entire thing for me.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; November 28, 2017 at 02:42 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Not at all. All games I'm playing must have bad guys somewhere, here being Chaos. I dont really understand your point. In the beginnning you say being able to control when Chaos arrive is wrong design of which you believe the method pre patch which similar to Game 1 is better.

Now you say having a game without Chaos is what sandbox is. What do you actually want? Just dont want to like for the sake of not liking the game?

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Not at all. All games I'm playing must have bad guys somewhere, here being Chaos. I dont really understand your point. In the beginnning you say being able to control when Chaos arrive is wrong design of which you believe the method pre patch which similar to Game 1 is better.

Now you say having a game without Chaos is what sandbox is. What do you actually want? Just dont want to like for the sake of not liking the game?
    I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm not saying no Chaos is better, I'm saying a Chaos invasion that is unpredictable and which you can't control/ which does not result from your actions is better. While a Chaos invasion based on turns (with some probability curve either side) achieves that, I'd even settle for an invasion that continues to be based on player empire size but with significant variability of what that size actually is (also hopefully centred on a value significantly smaller than now: conquering 45 provinces or so is hardly ever necessary and thus far too high as a trigger point). My point is that it should not be up to the player when world events occur that ought to have nothing to do with you, it should have the capacity to surprise you; you should feel that you don't ever know with certainty what will happen thus forcing you to plan for all possible scenarios.

For the record, no Chaos at all would be even worse. Also, as a fan of Warhammer, and someone who has played Total War games since Rome, I quite like the game... at least other than for the way in which Chaos invasions are currently implemented.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; November 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

New blog post: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/warham...lopment-update

-First part is basically explanation why Norsca is delayed and where CA screws up. Then we get some decent info:
    December: Reprisal Update rollout for Mortal Empires. This contains equivalent Foundation Update skill/campaign improvements to Old World Legendary Lords and Chaos, and will also include some new changes and fixes for Mortal Empires. We’re also bundling in a free, new (and highly experimental!) game mode which we’ve had in our back pocket for a while now. More news on this later in the week.

January: Our first Campaign Pack was initially planned for this year, but will slip to January. Not to seem too… cryptic… but It’s a hugely characterful and significant addition to both Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires, and we’re pretty sure people are going to enjoy it. We’ll also be rolling out another Mortal Empires update alongside this release to address any further issues post-Reprisal Update.

May: Yes, this is a bit of a gap, but this is how long our painstaking re-implementation of Norsca will take to get added to Mortal Empires. This update will include Norsca and its full roster, updates to various aspects of the race (eg techs, New World race interactions) to make them appropriate and relevant. There will also be further updates to other aspects of Mortal Empires.
    -So the first "experiment" FLC is this new game mode....naval combat? naval autoresolver? Mode sounds like Land/Siege/Ambush/Subterranean/Free for all...
    -January looks like new "cryptic" DLC which is basically another hint on Tomb Kings...basically DLC was supposed to be this year but was push back as snowball effect.
    -Norsca in May (but I bet there will be other DLCs in meantime..my speculation)

Update from reddit: Grace_CA :
    -30th RoR are coming with Norsca in May
    -Skaven FLC hero is coming in January with paid DLC,it is not Thanquol, experiment FLC will skip it to December patch

RoR will be in May with Norsca
    The free-LC LL will be in January alongside the paid DLC
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...orsca/dqt0jtn/

It's not Thanquol if that's what you mean.............Oh good question - let me double check and find out. It'll either be coming alongside the experiment or with the later paid DLC but I'm not sure.
    EDIT: It'll be coming alongside the paid DLC in January
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...orsca/dqszprj/
    Last edited by Daruwind; December 05, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123