Thread: Polybian reforms - real life date

Default Polybian reforms - real life date

I always wondered what would be approximate date when 'polybian' reforms happened in real life? Concerning Marian reforms; we can connect that to time when Cimbri and Teutones rolled over Romans in Arausio, and Jugurthine War.

I have doubts about Polybian reforms, though.

One of conditions is that you must conquer Sicily, that would place reforms no earlier than 212. bc.
    However, I also think of end of First Punic war. I just cant imagine aspis bearing Triarii in battle of Cannae.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Default Re: Polybian reforms - real life date

I would place it somewhere between the first and the second Punic Wars, amidst Romes war efforts against Cisalpine Gaul. Which means that the plan B for the Polybian reform sounds about right (turn 150 -> year 234 BC).

Default Re: Polybian reforms - real life date

Bear in mind that Rome did conquer Sicily in the First Punic War, with the exception of Syracuse, who became a Roman ally.
    Translated into the game, the player should conquer all 3 Sicilian provinces and install an Allied Oligarchy in Syracuse.

So yeah, I'd place the time of the "reforms" somewhere between the end of the 1st and start of the 2nd Punic War.