Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Domus Messalla

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Domus Messalla

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    "I desire companionship more than children at this stage in my life, and a matron to look after my household in my absences from Rome." he said. "If I wed your sister, I will expect that our families will support one another." Messalla was tired of striking friendships only to have them betray him at the first opportunity.

"I suspect I will need to support of a man as distinguished as you Messalla. I admit I am not happy with some of the men who rose to power after driving Carbo out of Rome."

"Then consider it done." Messalla concluded "And we will let the past stay in the past."

"I will need some opportunity to gain prestige myself." Rusca says. "Unlike some in the Senate right now I do not have a family voting for every office I seek to run for."

"I believe that you should stand for Aedile." Marcus counseled. "Perhaps you could sponsor some races, and help to get your name before the people. Many have started promising careers in such ways as this."

"Perhaps he says considering. Although I am still young for the office of Aedile. Perhaps sponsoring some games could get my name out to the people before running again for office." He considers. "Carbo and the populists have been ousted for now. It is time for us to push new legislation through the Senate. If I could put my name on a popular piece of legislation at the same time some games were being held then it do much to boast my name in the city."

"Any legislation I might propose will prove not to be popular." Messalla added "the populists have not gone from our midst. Metellus is an opportunistic populist and the Iulii have flat out embraced the tenets of Carbo's faction. We have only Jupiter to thank that the tribunes have done next to nothing this year. We must hope they behave in the same way next year. I plan to curtail their powers in a series of reforms."

"Perhaps we could coop one of the principle positions of the populists. Grain subsidies are popular with the Urban poor, and with the war the city has been underfed. If we were to restore the grain subsidies we could associate the populists with the negatives of the war and bring us the support of the urban poor. It is also a position Iulus could not oppose without losing his popularity with the people. On top of that I will host games in Rome with my new Gladiators. By the end my name will be on the lips of all of Rome."

"I've never understood why the buggers never want to pay standard price for their grain.." He simply nodded "It seems to me a strategy that would be effective."

He smiles. This meeting had been very productive, "It has been a pleasure Mesalla. I must go prepare a speech to announce my proposal to the public." With his own base of support building Rusca was looking to be a prominent name in Roman politics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Appius Claudius Pulcher, fresh from Spain made his way to the newly built Domus Messalla, it looked good he thought. Appius however was not alone, his sister Servillia was with him.

They are greeted by Manius and the Consul Marcus and welcomed inside. Marcus had been informed of the offer of marriage by his son, and this meeting would determine if he approved of the match. "Greetings young Pulcher, we meet again."

Blog Entries

"Salve Consul" Appius said, this was his first ever diplomatic mission.. all he had been doing the near past 5 years was fighting. It was time he took some time to learn about diplomacy some more. "I hope accomodations at the domus Claudii were suitable? I must complement you on your own new domus Sir" He said sir again, old habbit remained to die hard it would seem.

-----------------

Servillia was a beautiful young woman, 20 nearing 21 years old and thus somewhat old for Roman meaning. Her father had been saving her for a proper match.
    With frail voice she greeted both Messalla's. Blushing a little bit when she greeted the younger one.

"They were quite sufficient, I thank you for the hospitality." The Consul said "Now what is this I hear of legions being raised in Gaul? Seems to me something is brewing in he north, though I am unsure of the particulars."

Manius took the woman's hand and kissed it "It is a pleasure to meet you, Servillia. I had been told much of your beauty on the campaign trail."

Blog Entries

"That stems me well Consul" Appius replied, somewhat drily. Diplomatics was not his thing, stuff is much easier with a sword in hand he thought.
    He was surprised by the question.. but decided to be truthful, somewhat. "My father has seen military activity beyond the border. He wishes to prepare if an attack comes. Sending the legions he raised to help Iulus so they could get some experience, I suppose that also included giving me and my brother experience. " appius would however ask something else. "Sir, may I perhaps ask your advice on some matters?"

Servillia blushed, she had never before been courted so it was easy to who her. "I thank you sir, you are to kind" she said blushy, her cheeks turning bright red. "I am glad you would receive me and my brother Sir. He had been boasting about the chivalry the Messalla men possesed. I see he did not lie!"

"Of course Pulcher." The older man said

"I will stand for office this year, soon to make a name for myself in the city. I also desire to start my own family." Manius told the girl. "If we are wed I trust you will be desirous of children?"

Blog Entries

"I have spend 5 years fighting Sir." he would begin. "First under you, then under iulus and then in charge of a legion. I dare saw I did a competent job. Now I stand in Rome again. Do you think it suitable to run for office Sir?" appius had a strained relation with his father. He much rather preferred to ask his former general for advice.

----------------

Servillia listened carefully, after her mothers death she had never again spoke about children. Because she had died in childbirth it fightened her but it did not keep her from a resounding "Yes! I would very much like be a mother to many children."

Marcus considered the situation. Many of the old requirements seemed to be going out the window. "I believe you would be a viable candidate for one of the lower offices." He said at least. "You've proven your worth on two hard campaigns. I am sure you would stand a strong chance against any of your opponents for the office.

---

"Very well, good." Manius said with a smile. "I am satisfied, and I am sure my father will be as well."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Marcus considered the situation. Many of the old requirements seemed to be going out the window. "I believe you would be a viable candidate for one of the lower offices." He said at least. "You've proven your worth on two hard campaigns. I am sure you would stand a strong chance against any of your opponents for the office.

---

"Very well, good." Manius said with a smile. "I am satisfied, and I am sure my father will be as well."
    Appius had a smile, it was good to know such a prestigious person would agree to him running. "Thank you sir, I shall try to achieve the aedileship for I am too young to obtain the questorship still."

------

She gigled. "I shall do my duty towards you Messalla, I will mother many children and I will always be there."

"I will consent to this marriage between my son and your sister." he said at last

Blog Entries

Appius nodded in approval and thanked his hosts before leaving.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast