Thread: Missing Download Links

Default Missing Download Links

It is very annoying to find a good mod with the download link missing. Also to find so many pointing you to download sites which are no longer functioning (such as megauploads). I realise many of these are dead, but as a suggestion could dead posts or ones with missing links, if no new links can be found, be removed as it is very frustrating to search posts which in the end are unproductive.

Apart from this moan, many thanks for all your good work.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Missing Download Links

Hi Robleau2,

Generally speaking, it is the responsibility of modders to keep their links up to date. Occasionally, players will be able to supply a re-upload, but sadly this is not often.

There is no practice in which dead mods/dead links are removed by moderation or administration. Furthermore, for mods or admins to check through each mod (periodically) would be very time consuming. Possibly, this practice could be reconsidered and applied on an ad hoc basis; i.e. if a player, such as yourself, comes across a dead mod/dead link and presses the Report button to bring it to staff's attention. You could make such a suggestion here. The issue would be, though, if a modder or player eventually comes along with a re-upload.

You could check the last couple of posts on each mod. Generally, you will find players posting requests for a re-upload if a link is dead, which might be quicker than starting at the start of the thread.

You can check the Modding Vault to see if a specific mod has been backed up by TWC in the past, though I believe the project may currently be dormant.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Frunk

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Hi Robleau2,

Generally speaking, it is the responsibility of modders to keep their links up to date. Occasionally, players will be able to supply a re-upload, but sadly this is not often.

There is no practice in which dead mods/dead links are removed by moderation or administration. Furthermore, for mods or admins to check through each mod (periodically) would be very time consuming. Possibly, this practice could be reconsidered and applied on an ad hoc basis; i.e. if a player, such as yourself, comes across a dead mod/dead link and presses the Report button to bring it to staff's attention. You could make such a suggestion here. The issue would be, though, if a modder or player eventually comes along with a re-upload.

You could check the last couple of posts on each mod. Generally, you will find players posting requests for a re-upload if a link is dead, which might be quicker than starting at the start of the thread.

You can check the Modding Vault to see if a specific mod has been backed up by TWC in the past, though I believe the project may currently be dormant.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Frunk
    Or the moderation could adept a new policy regarding abandoned/dead mods, which means a certain period of time needs to pass before a thread is closed due for having outdated information.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Or the moderation could adept a new policy regarding abandoned/dead mods, which means a certain period of time needs to pass before a thread is closed due for having outdated information.
    Thanks, but no thanks. Like I said, this would create a huge workload for staff to constantly and repeatedly check each thread (amongst tens of thousands) to see if it is "up to date" with working links. A modder might edit their OP periodically to replace dead links, or the link may have uptime or downtime sporadically. So "someone" would have to check this manually. Notwithstanding the fact that a modder may return after an absence and revive their mod, or a player might share their own re-upload.

Repeating myself: It is the responsibility of modders to ensure the uptime of their mods; not staff.
    Last edited by Frunk; October 01, 2017 at 06:23 PM.