Thread: Pergamene Historical Expansion Policies

Default Pergamene Historical Expansion Policies

I'm new to EBII, so this is my first time playing Pergamon coming from EB. My understanding based on the Dynastic Land building description is that the Attalids were fairly hands off as far as the administration of their "kingdom". Does that imply that it would be more accurate to set up allied governments in newly acquired territories or Hellenistic governments?

Or perhaps it would be better to set up allied governments in areas that already have a Polis and large Hellenized populations, and to turn any conquered barbarian lands (Bythinia, Galatia etc.) into dynastic territories.

Anyways, I'm mostly just thinking out loud here, and wondering what your ideas are. What route did you take as Pergamon?

Default Re: Pergamene Historical Expansion Policies

I'm afraid they are one of the few factions I've hardly played. I also can't really speak to the historical aspect of things. From a mechanics standpoint, your Allied governments will help resist angry Greeks from the Stasis system in a few places (coming in 2.3), but also will hinder your ability to recruit elites and siege weaponry that would be available by capitalizing on existing Polises and Metropolises to build the top tier government. The new 2.3 guide gives a full overview of the government types.

Unless you knew all that and just wanted to check on historicity, in which case I'm afraid I can't help.

I recreated Lysimachus' Kingdom first and then RP from there. Attalos is growing sick of the Arche Seleukiea not assisting the repelling of the Galatian raids...

So, assuming you are still allied to the Seleucids, did you expand into Thrace without getting the reform? I thought the government options there are quite limited prior to it.

Yeah, you can't get the reform without taking Ipsos off the Seleukids. So you're limited to Allied Governments outside of Anatolia if you're still pre-reform.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yeah, you can't get the reform without taking Ipsos off the Seleukids. So you're limited to Allied Governments outside of Anatolia if you're still pre-reform.
    That part's non-negotiable - I've never seen the Seleukids lose Ipsos, probably because they always seem to stack it with a full stack & 2-3 spies.

Is there any reason why the Seleukids are so keen on defending Ipsos but couldn't care less about Sardes even though it's what should be the regional capital?

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
    Is there any reason why the Seleukids are so keen on defending Ipsos but couldn't care less about Sardes even though it's what should be the regional capital?
    It's the CAI, all guesses are welcome!

I suspect because it's in the middle of the landmass, which makes it more important in the algorithms involved in defense of territory.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It's the CAI, all guesses are welcome!

I suspect because it's in the middle of the landmass, which makes it more important in the algorithms involved in defense of territory.
    I know that even after they've lost it they like to shove spies there, so the landmass centre theory holds weight.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    That part's non-negotiable - I've never seen the Seleukids lose Ipsos, probably because they always seem to stack it with a full stack & 2-3 spies.
    Just to confirm: in my Pergamon game the Seleukids stacked 75 units in and around Ipsos while losing all other Mikra Asia settlements to Ptolemaioi, Hayasdan and Nabateia.