Thread: Tutotals on descr_sounds/export_descr_sounds?

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

Icon5 Tutotals on descr_sounds/export_descr_sounds?

I just want some of the details of how certain proprieties, like distancepriority, priority and rndvolume, etc, work.

Are there any tutorials on the subject?

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Tutotals on descr_sounds/export_descr_sounds?

It's been almost a year, but I think I can answer this:

Sadly, to my knowledge there are no direct tutorials on how to play with sounds. Hwoever, I've been able to infer a few things:

if you want to control the volume, use volume and rndvolume (latter always after former. this apparently is in decibels, and is pretty intuitive. the Mystery here is what the difference is between the two.

mindist is the minimum distance at which you will hear the effect. priority just tells you how likely these effects are to play relative to other sounds. probability is exactly what it means (and cannot exceed 1).

Fade in and fadeout are the times at which the sound does just that. probradius I don't know what it means. minpitch and maxpitch are self-explanatory; just remember that to play the sound "as is" pitch-wise would be a 1.0.

sounds can be saved as either 8-bit or 16-bit, mono, and IIRC no faster than 128kbps.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

volume and rndvolume (latter always after former. this apparently is in decibels, and is pretty intuitive. the Mystery here is what the difference is between the two.
    My guess would be rndvolume = random volume adjustment. The actual/result volume = volume + [a number randomly chosen between 0 and rndvolume].
    e.g. volume 10 rndvolume 5 --> actual volume somewhere between 10 and 15, the "somewhere" randomly decided every time it plays, so always different.

probradius I don't know what it means.
    From descr_sounds.txt comments: probradius - distance to camera inside which the probability is set to 1.0

So if the camera is closer than the probradius value then the probability of the sound playing is always 1 (100%; will play) regardless of the probability value. That's my interpretation anyway.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    My guess would be rndvolume = random volume adjustment. The actual/result volume = volume + [a number randomly chosen between 0 and rndvolume].
    e.g. volume 10 rndvolume 5 --> actual volume somewhere between 10 and 15, the "somewhere" randomly decided every time it plays, so always different.

From descr_sounds.txt comments: probradius - distance to camera inside which the probability is set to 1.0

So if the camera is closer than the probradius value then the probability of the sound playing is always 1 (100%; will play) regardless of the probability value. That's my interpretation anyway.
    Doesn’t appear to be the case: otherwise I’d have heard the sounds of individual musket shots from 600 m away (as per one test).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)