Thread: Question about Arabian and Lybian Enclaves

Default Question about Arabian and Lybian Enclaves

I was looking at the EB2 player’s guide and thought of a question/suggestion.

Do all the Nomadic Enclaves convert to Steppe Nomadism?

If so, then shouldn’t the Arabian Enclave and maybe the Lybian Enclave convert to Arid Nomadism instead of Steppe Nomadism?

Arabia and most of North Africa (excluding the area around Carthage, Numidia, and the Nile River) are very Arid, and the nomads that are recruited mostly come from those arid places.

I think at the very least the Arabian Enclave should convert to Arid Nomadism because the Bedouins that you recruit exclusively come from the desert.

Default Re: Question about Arabian and Lybian Enclaves

Buildings can only convert to one culture, so we made a judgement call and made it Steppe Nomadism. The primary gameplay intention is that it's rarely the culture you want (no conversion for Sauromatae because that would be helpful to them, no conversion for the other steppe factions or Numidia until after their reforms), so it creates unrest. That's the trade-off - a "foreign" culture in return for more units.

North Africa in this time was actually steppe, not desert, which is why Numidia's native culture is Steppe Nomadism, not Arid. The Sahara hadn't advanced as far north as it has now, too. So that leaves only the Arabian Enclave that's not a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Buildings can only convert to one culture, so we made a judgement call and made it Steppe Nomadism. The primary gameplay intention is that it's rarely the culture you want (no conversion for Sauromatae because that would be helpful to them, no conversion for the other steppe factions or Numidia until after their reforms), so it creates unrest. That's the trade-off - a "foreign" culture in return for more units.

North Africa in this time was actually steppe, not desert, which is why Numidia's native culture is Steppe Nomadism, not Arid. The Sahara hadn't advanced as far north as it has now, too. So that leaves only the Arabian Enclave that's not a great fit.
    Thanks for the info, I understand the teams decision about Numidia being Steppe Nomadic culture now. It's too bad about the Arabian Enclave though, unless you guys used a new building slot, but i guess that's not really an option.

Quote Originally Posted by (:Baktra:) View Post
    Thanks for the info, I understand the teams decision about Numidia being Steppe Nomadic culture now. It's too bad about the Arabian Enclave though, unless you guys used a new building slot, but i guess that's not really an option.
    It was more of a bonus inclusion in an already-concepted mechanic. You can have up to nine levels in a building (eight if you need to use a common "precursor" level), we already had six when someone suggested we could also add the Libyan and Arabian ones.

As you say, to give the Arabian ones the correct treatment, we'd need to use an entirely new building. While we have about 30 slots left, we're being very careful with their use, given we still have two new factions to add.

Totally understandable, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    While we have about 30 slots left, we're being very careful with their use, given we still have two new factions to add.
    Does the faction government building tree consume 1 of the 30 slots per new faction, or 5-8 depending on how many levels were assigned to it?

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    Does the faction government building tree consume 1 of the 30 slots per new faction, or 5-8 depending on how many levels were assigned to it?
    1 per faction, but when you add other associated buildings - colonies, migrations, civic institutions like the polis - we may need more slots. Plus who knows what else we might conceive of adding to the infrastructure down the line. Or indeed new colony-type buildings; we've added those for Taksashila, Arevaci, Boii and a host of nomadic factions recently.