Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Are They Going to Handle Campaign Map Merging?

Default How Are They Going to Handle Campaign Map Merging?

Hi, I've been a little confused / incapable of finding information about how CA is planning to handle the combined maps of TW:WH and TW:WH2. Their official statement is that, at some point, players will be able to conquer both the Old World and the New World.

For me, this raises a bunch of questions: First of all, will this be playable only from the WH2 game? Do I need to keep the original WH downloaded (assuming I have both)? In WH2, will I be able to play as the Empire / Old World factions in custom battles and the Grand Campaign? Will the Grand Campaign from the Old World then expand into a new grand campaign from WH2? (Can the Empire/Dwarves even conquer Elven/Lizardmen cities?)

There are a bunch of other questions that come out of this, but I'm wondering if there's been any news as to how they plan to do this.

Thx!

Default Re: How Are They Going to Handle Campaign Map Merging?

I forgot where, but you need to have WH1 bought, but not installed for the combined campaign map.

You would need to own the Old World factions to play them in the combined world map. So to play Wood Elves in Warhammer 2, you'd need to own Warhammer 1 and its DLC.

I'm unsure of the grand campaign 'expanding', but I believe its a new map combining aspects of both the old and new?

I do wonder though if they'll be bringing some of the mechanics from Total War 1 factions up to par with Total War 2. They mentioned giving all dragons a new Breath attack and stuff, but I wonder about everything else? Will the suitable living conditions mechanic be ported to the old world factions?
    Forward, march!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

- Combined map will be probably just new campaign under WH2 if you own WH1.

- From current info we know that IT won´t be direct combination of WH1 and WH2 campaign maps. Old World should be the same with some changes (Skavenblight, Albion..), New World will have some cut regions, some starting positions will be changed and some factions will be removed for sake of optimalization.....all things together the good idea about map itself could be old datamined info

- Vortex objectives for WH2 will be removed, 40 level cap for characters will be probably included and I would bet there will be some additional changes even to old factions else new factions will easily dominate the game. Probably rituals will be added... I would like to see rework for Empire,Dwarves...to get better campaign mechanics BUT we have no info yet.

- WH1 campaign map will be unaffected by all new things....ok,tehy will still do some MP changes and keep things up but nothing big will arrive there...

- Multiplayer will be split into WH1 (original game,factions) and WH2 (featuring new factions but even old ones if you own WH1 ..probably with some changes to old factions to keep it up date with WH2 factions units...)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Combined Map is basically a new, separate map that has nothing to do with either campaign maps. It is a new map that has regions from both maps, though in a simpler form.
    Think of it like Empire Total War's minicampaign map and the Grand Campaign: the Combined Map would be the Grand Campaign by comparison, larger scale but less depth. They have stated that some regions (and factions) will not be in the same place as you'd find in the specific game campaigns.

Put it simply, Combined Map is a different campaign featuring both games' regions, it is not an actual merging of the Old World and Vortex campaigns.

THIS explains it pretty well:
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; September 23, 2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Video fixed. Just use the "Yotube" brackets and insert inside only the part after "v=".

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

You need to own Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2 (on the same Steam account,) but Grace CA confirmed on Reddit that you only need Warhammer 2 installed to play the Combined Campaign (now known as the Mortal Empires Campaign.) Playable races/factions will be all standard ones included in the base games + FLC + any paid DLC ones you own like Woodelves or Norsca. More details here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

^ Thanks for the video. I wasn't really following TW:WII development and after watching this, I'm pretty confused... Old World map from TW:WI isn't very big, but at the same time isn't small either. Campaign map of only New World looks just enormous, would it really be that huge? And now I wonder, what CPUs we need to handle Mortal Empires campaign in this case? My Core i5 will explode I'm afraid.

Although TW:WI is amazingly optimized, as I get higher FPS than Rome II and much higher than Attila with better settings, but raw size alone is quite intimidating.

Thanks for all the info y'all. A separate campaign makes a lot more sense.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Senticon View Post
    ^ Thanks for the video. I wasn't really following TW:WII development and after watching this, I'm pretty confused... Old World map from TW:WI isn't very big, but at the same time isn't small either. Campaign map of only New World looks just enormous, would it really be that huge? And now I wonder, what CPUs we need to handle Mortal Empires campaign in this case? My Core i5 will explode I'm afraid.

Although TW:WI is amazingly optimized, as I get higher FPS than Rome II and much higher than Attila with better settings, but raw size alone is quite intimidating.
    The turn times will certainly be longer due to more factions available but still manageable. Just that my 4GB cheap RX 560 probably will not be enough since the campaign map surely use more than 4 GB vram.

Probably will get a stick of 8 GB ram for the time being so that I can use 12 GB ram (only 2 slot so 1 4GB and 1 8GB.)

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    The turn times will certainly be longer due to more factions available but still manageable. Just that my 4GB cheap RX 560 probably will not be enough since the campaign map surely use more than 4 GB vram.

Probably will get a stick of 8 GB ram for the time being so that I can use 12 GB ram (only 2 slot so 1 4GB and 1 8GB.)
    Video Ram is probably enough if you don't use super high res textures so no texture quality ultra settings (lower unit detail/environment detail settings).
    That said I couldn't live with 8 gigs of system RAM so that really needs an upgrade (2x8 for dual channel 16?).
    Last edited by CyberianK; September 26, 2017 at 06:00 AM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I like using higher texture. I dont mind slower loading. My fps usually around 30 except the beastpath or really close up large battles.

By the way, today stream: Combined map - old factions - won´t get new rites. DLC races for Vortex Campaign - won´t compete for Vortex objectives...probably different mechanics?

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

8 GB of RAM? Oh dear... I have 16 GB and i still sometimes need more. That is caused by my habit and need to have multiple windows and/or tabs open at the same time. At the moment i have multiple pictures open in paint.net and multiple Chrome windows each of which has multiple tabs open. I will certainly upgrade to 32 GB when i next update my PC. I was thinking of even 64 GB, but i don't know exactly how much i need so i will upgrade to 32 first.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

I've suffered through Vanilla Empire. I can wait for a turn to happen. But yeah the ambiguous communication on this mega campaign will lead to a massive backlash if they don't deliver. I wish they had been more transparent from the get go.
    Hopefully we will get the mega map for WHIII
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

Quote Originally Posted by ostendadler View Post
    I've suffered through Vanilla Empire. I can wait for a turn to happen. But yeah the ambiguous communication on this mega campaign will lead to a massive backlash if they don't deliver. I wish they had been more transparent from the get go.
    Hopefully we will get the mega map for WHIII
    Their recent Blog Post confirmed Warhammer 3 will also have a "mega map," as well as providing some other details.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires

As for the limited communication, I think we can blame that on the history of elements of the Total War community taking anything said by anyone at CA as a rock hard promise (even if they specifically said it wasn't,) and any changes or deviations from that causing much angry posting. Developers tend to be a lot more open about work in progress when they don't have fans threatening to burn the place down if the final game is slightly different.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Hopefully it comes out soon. I've started slowing down, so that I don't get burned out before Mortal Empires comes out. I really need to grab me an SSD the late game loading times are already a bit too long for me right now, I'm gonna have to get me a book inbetween turns for Mortal Empires.. I bet clan mors with Queek will be moved over to old world, I think him, Skarsnik, and Belegor have a bit of a beef going.

More of a technical question here:
    Would it be theoretically possible to drop some files from TW:WI to TW:WII folder and enable them as mods (maybe?) not to keep entire TW:WI on hard drive? I mean what's the point of having TW:WI on the disk when we would be able to play all campaigns from it + Mortal Empires from TW:WII menu? Having around ~35 Gb of placeholder-ware doesn't sit right with me...

I'm pretty confident that post TW:WIII, they will release some kind of "Ultimate Edition" with everything included in single install package, but would be good to have something like that already...

Quote Originally Posted by Senticon View Post
    More of a technical question here:
    Would it be theoretically possible to drop some files from TW:WI to TW:WII folder and enable them as mods (maybe?) not to keep entire TW:WI on hard drive? I mean what's the point of having TW:WI on the disk when we would be able to play all campaigns from it + Mortal Empires from TW:WII menu? Having around ~35 Gb of placeholder-ware doesn't sit right with me...

I'm pretty confident that post TW:WIII, they will release some kind of "Ultimate Edition" with everything included in single install package, but would be good to have something like that already...
    After Mortal Empires releases, I'd say the only reason to have WH1 installed is to play the Old World Campaign... or Norsca till they get patched into Mortal Empires.

I expect Mortal Empires to be quite large, as it will need to have any files from WH1 that aren't in WH2 but are needed for Mortal Empires.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    After Mortal Empires releases, I'd say the only reason to have WH1 installed is to play the Old World Campaign... or Norsca till they get patched into Mortal Empires.

I expect Mortal Empires to be quite large, as it will need to have any files from WH1 that aren't in WH2 but are needed for Mortal Empires.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Wait a sec, so generally speaking, game will only be checking if I own TW:WI/DLCs and won't need actual files? Well, that would be neat. Btw, from what I understand from official FAQ, we should be able to choose Old World campaign to play in TW:WII menu. Not sure if true or not, because I don't own TW:WII yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast