Thread: Getting Started Tutorial?

Default Getting Started Tutorial?

I know there are guides to each of the game's factions, but there's no guide or tutorial for the game itself, it just sort of throws you in and expects you to know what everything is. Is there a general "getting started" guide for this game? Because I'm kinda lost.

Default Re: Getting Started Tutorial?

The presumption(As with many mods and total conversions) is that you've at least messed around with the base game or the Kingdoms campaigns, and such understand the basics of movement, attacking, the strat map and battle maps, and so on. While this is not unreasonable, there will always be those who jump straight in without even looking at the manual for the base game and are thus completely lost. There have been efforts to reskin the various in-game tutorial messages with this particular total conversion, but they've slowed almost to nothing.

I notice you asked a similar question 6 months ago. I answered you then, in full detail. The post is even still about: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post15312824

So the question becomes: it's been 6 months. Have you played Med2, Kingdoms, or the mod since then? What exactly is giving you grief?

Which should I play first in order to get the best understanding of the basic features of the game, Med2 or Kingdoms?

Probably Med2 itself. The Kingdoms campaigns add quirks to the standard. Base Med2 also comes with in-game tutorials and guidance.

I'm not unwilling to help your understanding. Others won't be either. Just as was said then.
    Last edited by Bloodly; September 17, 2017 at 07:04 PM.

Tutorial for Med2 is bugged, can't get past the part where I have to select Caen to learn more about castles. Could someone explain the rest of the tutorial for me?

It's immaterial.

Because in Hyrule Total War the castle/city split barely exists. You can build all buildings of a faction in a place regardless. Just some you can change the tax rate(Psuedo-cities) and some you can't(pseudo-castles). My advice is tax as hard as you can(70% is the limit before trouble starts-this is true of base Med2 also) and put the extra money to work on building buildings to raise the happiness or develop the town.

Other changes are that most units take multiple turns to recruit, which usually doesn't happen in baseline Med2. So you need to be pumping out units before you need them, resulting in a very RTS style of building-always be pumping out troops, as long as your upkeep can handle it. Most unit reserves by default can only stack up to 1 in a city also. This means that replenishing troops(So they keep any experience earned) is often a real challenge with a larger force.

Traits are currently inactive. Can't earn any, can't get rid of any. This has good and bad points. You won't get useful traits, but you won't cripple one by building things like inns and having them become drunkards as they administrate. It also makes Man of the Hour events(If you win a battle with no general present sometimes a general might spawn afterwards) nigh worthless right now.

Many factions are missing certain baseline agents(Spies, Merchants, Assassins, Priests, Diplomats). You'll have to work around such things. Spies scout(They have the highest view radius) and can mess with Public Order and open gates on the battle map if infiltrated into a city on the strategic map. They can also protect against such things if placed in a friendly city or army. Merchants set themselves up on trade resources to give you extra cash. Assassins kill other agents, enemy generals, or destroy buildings. Priests spread your religion, which can improve/screw with Public Order. Diplomats do diplomacy; anything from setting up trade deals to trading cities.

Always admin your cities yourself(It's a starting option at the campaign menu). Not leave it to the CPU.

Don't be afraid to look at the Building Browser(It's an option on the city screen) to look at what you intend. As noted, the castle-city split isn't present; nor is the population requirement to upgrade places. Instead, it's very RTS, in that you build up the main building, which often has other buildings required to do so. All this costs money. Though you still want to target growth as more people means more tax money anyway. ALWAYS keep your cities growing, never have 0% or -growth if you can help it(Sometimes you can't, thanks to plague or other issues). Don't be afraid to lower taxes if you find yourself getting close to 0%.

Money's a question of taxes, farming, mines where possible, trade buildings, merchant trade and roads. Farming is the baseline. It's doable everywhere, and the gains are constant, but as the cost of the higher levels incrrases, the raw value can be said to drop. Sea trade is barely possible, and has been a wrangling point for a bit(By default, only the Lanaryu faction is capable of sea trade). Where it is possible, it's a large boost. Mines are always a boon if it's possible. The Goron faction can take their mining further than anyone(Though if I recall right, by default the coding for Goron Mines is kinda busted). Trade, trade buildings, merchants and roads are linked. Trade starts weak, but gets far stronger as populations increase and buildings adding to trade income get themselves built.

Though Blacksmiths are present, most are barely functional right now. You don't necessarily buy them for improved armour/weapons, but for certain military-based side effects.
    Last edited by Bloodly; September 19, 2017 at 09:33 PM.