Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mod Switch for Dummies

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Mod Switch for Dummies

Upon trying to start a campaign from the in-game menu, the game tells me "please select an item from the list" or something. This happens when clicking "grand campaign" in the single player menu. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?
    Have you copied across the imperial_campaign folder from the data\world\maps\campaign folder to yourfoldernamedata\world\maps\campaign folder?
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Re: Mods, Installing mods, Modswitch, io-switch for Dummies

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Have you copied across the imperial_campaign folder from the data\world\maps\campaign folder to yourfoldernamedata\world\maps\campaign folder?
    No, there's no mention of that in the readme. But I'll give it a shot.

Also, I have few questions and corrections/clarifications regarding Horsearchers though very informative post:

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    You need to add the io switch like this:

medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg --io.file_first
    What about this?

[io]
    file_first = true

What's the difference between this cfg thingy and the dos command parameter?

animations
    fmv
    world
    sounds
    cursor

Do I have to unpack my files if I won't make mods myself, but only install?

No.

Will the mods work without unpacking my files?

Yes.
    Correction: Currently, sound cannot be modded like the rest of the game data. Adding new samples to the sound folder will not add them to the game. As of now, the soundpacks must be unpacked, deleted (or backed up), and the unpacked samples replaced. Upon running the game after doing this, the game will make new soundpacks using the new samples, but this doesn't require any io switch commands. I'll plan to write a tutorial on the matter at some point, but editing sounds will probably be the same as editing everything else when the 1.2 patch has been installed, so there might not be much use for one. Of course, a mod changing the sound could be installed by just replacing the soundpacks with other soundpacks, but doing this for Xenophonia, for example, would result in a 1,40GB download, since you would have to download the original files along with the modded ones.

Why don't modders all switch to the --io -switch option instead of creating extra folders, and just knowing that textures and effects and other things do not work from the custom mod-folder?

I would say, they will. The only people should keep on using the mymod-switch are the ones who modify the /world -folder, basically making a new map, but even them could start using the --io switch folder, if they warn the people to make a backup folder of the /world - folder.
    How would you allow for having several mods installed at the same time with the io swich? The mymod switch lets you have an unlimited number of mods in the M2TW folder. How would you use the io switch in order to accomplish this?
    Last edited by Beiss; January 14, 2007 at 11:51 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

[io]
    file_first = true

What's the difference between this cfg thingy and the dos command parameter?
    None, you can use either.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

None, you can use either.
    Will I still have to make the cfg read-only if I use the dos command?

Also, I copied the campaign folder and now I'm getting an "unspecified error" instead, only this occurs after starting a campaign...
    Last edited by Beiss; January 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Also, I copied the campaign folder and now I'm getting an "unspecified error" instead, only this occurs after starting a campaign...
    Have you copied across events.dat and events.idx from data\sound to yourmodfolder\data\sound? You will also need the data\world\maps\base folder as well.

Will I still have to make the cfg read-only if I use the dos command?
    Shouldn't have to, i have it in one of my .cfgs that isn't read-only and its still there.
    Creator of:

You will also need the data\world\maps\base folder as well.
    Argh! Why is this not in the readme?

Argh! Why is this not in the readme?
    Well if you read the M2Tw Config file how to thread, in which i added in a step by step guid to set it up, you would know that you needed those folders.
    Creator of:

i'am having a problem with this (i havent modified my files) when i go to do a battle when i hit start it just send me back to where i was, why? it dosnt do this in my normal files, i had a problem when un packing where i had to copy one of the .dll file to my C:\WINDOWS\system directory, could this be why?
    "When you do something right; it will seem as though you haven't done anything at all." -Space God
    http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=127300

Sephynos's Avatar Semisalis

Thank it really helps!
    I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

How do I do that?

First, your mod-switch related mod probably came with a batch file, which upon opening (right click --> select edit from the drop down list), you find something like this:

medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg

So what does that do?

It will access the "DarthMod" folder first, then goes straight to the main data folder and loads those files/folders as well.
    I´m sorry but I just do not get it. I have downloaded the mod and installed it propperly to the correct location but I just get totally lost with this:

First, your mod-switch related mod probably came with a batch file, which upon opening (right click --> select edit from the drop down list), you find something like this:

medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg

If I go to my: C:\program files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

the only thing I find is this Skymod bat thing and a readme file. If I do edit open this skymod thing I only get to read:

"medieval2.exe --io.file_first"

I see no "medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg" to change...

This dummies guide is still quite some advanced for some of us.

Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    I´m sorry but I just do not get it. I have downloaded the mod and installed it propperly to the correct location but I just get totally lost with this:

If I go to my: C:\program files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

the only thing I find is this Skymod bat thing and a readme file. If I do edit open this skymod thing I only get to read:

"medieval2.exe --io.file_first"

I see no "medieval2.exe @DarthMod.cfg" to change...

This dummies guide is still quite some advanced for some of us.

Help!!!
    That was only an example, if you happen to have the darthmod installed.

I'm not going to explain how to create a batch file, because there got to be a tutorial somewhere.

Instead, do this:

Open up your preferences.cfg with your notepad:

write this in there,

Code:
    [io]
    file_first = 1

Once you have done that, save it close it, then right click on it and checkmark "read only", so the game cannot overwrite it. (I'm not sure if it would eventually)

Once you have done that, try the game again.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

I managed to make it work...I was confusing your bat file with my LTC bat file. Once that got cleared I found the way and started a new Venice Campaign...

The amount of blood is staggering. The shooting of arrows makes the targets explode in geysers of blood.

Great stuff!!!

Fabulous skies...thanks!!!

Ok, I'm amazingly special. I deserve to be on the short bus, seriously.

I've tried the io switch, mod switch, and various tweakings ofthe .cfg, for days, with NO success. the game runs a perfect vanilla everytime. I've followed instructions from modders on here to the letter, over and over, and I'm beginning to think my game has some sort of mutant file directory that is resistant to modding :O All I've tried to do so far is edit the irish kern unit (as a test unit, I wouldn't keep the change, but they're easy to find in custom battle, and thus a good test unit to quickly boot up the game.) to have a 9 for it's javelin, or a 1 alternatively. I modded the display line as well as the javelin stat, and tested performance on both numbewrs after days worth of trial and error, and I got nothing. I think I might be retarded, lol.
    To anyone who ever beat "Cloaked_Figure" At MTW:VI, I want a rematch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    How do you get this to work with Steam? Ive set this up as far as the .bat and have everything done right, yet when I hit the mod .exe it says failed to find Steam.
    Same here...if anyone can shed light on how to get it to work, please respond!

nevermind, saw the fix in the other thread here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ighlight=steam

Hi all i get when i want to start the campaign is pleas select a item from the list, but its nothing to select, what to do, i have placed some edited stats for unit and edited mout file to mymod/data..

So when you try to start a campaign you get a message telling you to select an item from the list?

If so, I'll quote Lusted from a post at the top of this page when helping someone else with this problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted

Thanx everything works fine now, but i had to copy the whole data folder to mymod first,,

my cfg file keeps resetting itself after i exit the game.

RyuNoKami:
    Make the file read-only after making the changes.

The Joker:
    The easiest way to make a game use your files is with the io.file_first switch. Adjust the shortcut to the Grand Campaign (or Kingdoms campaigns) by adding --io.file_first to the shortcut's target area.

This is a normal shortcut target:
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe"

This is an adjusted shortcut target:
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first
    Last edited by pwijnands; January 25, 2008 at 06:52 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast