Thread: It's been a few years....

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Default It's been a few years....

I just stumbled upon some Let's Plays for Dominion of Men, and as a former member of the Dev Team I wanted to drop by to just let you know that I'm happy you did it and this mod got finally released. Those who have been around back then (gosh, over 5 years ago?) will remember that at some point I just faded away from the project, and I still feel a bit bad about it, but it was better for me, since I got seriously burned-out because for a couple of years I devoted a huge junk of my free time to this mod.

I still hope you - Aradan and MasterOfNone and CountMRVHS - are not too mad at me. This is great work what you've achieved, and it might get me a into computer gaming again - even if just a bit - something which I lost interest in during the past couple of years.

I hope you guys are all well.

Cheers,

Éorl
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: It's been a few years....

Now, look what you've made me do - post on the forums again after retiring!

No hard feelings at all. I know what a huge sacrifice modding can be and the burnout is very real. The mod has had some huge contributions from a select few over the years (and many others who have contributed according to their circumstances) and you are one of those! The mod is all the better for your work.

Good to know you are well. Only Count and webba staff the mod now. It is indeed good to see it complete!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Holy , it can't be 5 years already! Best luck with everything Eorl, we bear no hard feelings about this!

Someone get this guy some real estate in Calenardhon

It's fantastic to hear from you, Eorl! Absolutely no hard feelings Your fingerprints are all over the mod, from units to landscapes to 2d (and probably other stuff as well). I'm just thankful for all you've done, and proud to have been part of a team that included such talented people. Hope you're enjoying your current endeavors!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

@MasterOfNone, Beorn and CountMRVHS: Thanks for the warm welcome back! Feels a bit like coming home. The one thing I will always remember ist that no matter how frantic work has become on the mod, everyone involved kept their humour. But enough of nostalgia. I still have my copies of RTW and Barbarian Invasion, and I plan on installing the mod today. I'll drop by from time to time to see what's new, and who knows, maybe I will start tinkering with some models, textures or other visual stuff again...

How does it go, again...? Oh yes: Work on a mod never truly stops, right?

Cheers to webba84, too - leading a mod like this sometimes is harder than herding cats.
    Last edited by Éorl; September 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Blast from the past! It's been very long indeed...

No hard feelings at all, Eorl! I think we all know what burnout feels like after having devoted inordinate amounts of time to what should be a hobby. We are grateful for your work - DoM would not have been possible without it.

Good to see you again, Éorl!

...I sometimes mourn the GoT mod we worked on for a time: the greatest mod that never was!

Eorl, if you still have DropBox you can have access to the dev 3.3 build if you're interested. Anyway, great to hear you're going to give the mod a look! I hope you have some fun with it. Be sure to check out the faction guides that are floating around here if you need any tips (Though come to think of it, I never did get around to writing one for Rohan...)
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

As Eorl, I have been away for some time, and I missed the release of Fatw v3.0. I just wanted to congratulate you all, and thank you for the continuous creation of tutorials, modding resources, and support to other modders. Yours was surely one of the best mod teams for TW.
    I'm just sorry that I have been unable to play latest FATW version yet... but I'll test it someday one way or another.
    I wish you all the best.

Wow, many legendary modders in this thread, great to see you all and thanks all of you deep from my heart for everything you did with this game.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Holy smokes, Eorl dropped by and I missed it? Good to see you man, hope you enjoy the mod (3.3 will be coming soon!).

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

This thread gives one a warm fuzzy feeling
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.