Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XAI: v1.09 RELEASED on Steam!

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: XAI: v1.09 RELEASED on Steam!

Well, I will assume that no news is good news.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Sir StroudI's Avatar Libertus

Giving this a try today, Thanks for the hard work!
    I like jellyfish.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

I like what your going for. I will be tying you mod tonight in full and I am very impressed you plan to attack a lot of the core problems in the Attila system. I would like to ask if you plan on changing the charge impact problem down the road? For me its one of the worse things in Attila when you see a mass of infantry or horse charge just to see the front rank do something and everyone in the back stop as if they hit a brick wall. There was a mod on steam for it but I do not think its compatible with your mods. Any way I will be playing 50 turns with all your mods to see if I can bring you some good feed back. Thank you for all your are trying to do.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Thanks Legio. Yeah the penetration of cavalry is much improved, the special formations were the culprit in vanilla. They increase the mass of the formation by a multiplier and they were too high and unrealistic. Give it a try I think you will like it.

I am also reworking the speed of units right now. I was not happy with the old way I have it. It is a really tricky thing to balance the BAI, because there are many situations and variables that can occur on the battlefield. Trying to cover them all, and make the AI perform well too is hard, but I have made good progress compared to vanilla. It is at least 100% better than vanilla, and of course I keep striving to improve other stuff too.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

I'm very impressed with the mods so far. Little strange not playing with FoTE and playing with the vanilla units but battles have never been better. Sieges are also pretty darn impressive and diplomacy has been very active. Still testing but bravo so far.

FoTe? Glad you like it so far. Pay attention to diplomacy and such, as there will still be balancing things I need to attend to and I need help with identifying issues.

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    FoTe? Glad you like it so far. Pay attention to diplomacy and such, as there will still be balancing things I need to attend to and I need help with identifying issues.
    Fall of the eagles is my go to unit mod for atttila.

Sir StroudI's Avatar Libertus

Is the famiy tree pack compatible with Europa Perdita?
    I like jellyfish.

I have no idea, but I will say no to be safe. I am not familiar with any mods outside my own at this time. The worst that can happen is you try it and if it crashes on load, then that means no. Then you just deactivate it.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
    Fall of the eagles is my go to unit mod for atttila.
    If it adds units then you should be able to use it just fine. If it changes vanilla units then do not use my vanilla units mod or the dynamic stances. My XBAI will balance some of the things.

Handsdown best AI mod in any TW game ever. Wow!

Diplomacy: Factions are allying with others and honoring them! Relationships actually matter. Culture matters - vikings/nordics sticks together, settled west/central germans stick together, celts stick together etc.
    Sieges: AI expends all catapult ammo on towers and walls before attacking, multi-front assaults with the appropriate units...
    Battles: FINALLY!!! No more general rush! (still cavalry rush sometimes though hmmm...). Good use of terrain, flanking, missile positioning.

Awesome. Although I rather play Medieval 2 (is that old mod of yours equivalent to this? doesn't seem like it) or Napoleon. I really dislike this late-antiquity epoch but I'll play just for this mod .

Wow, thank you! please spread the word..LOL

I was able to see the big picture much better with this mod, in part because of PFM our modding tool. Med 2 was a ton of work though, and it is significantly better than vanilla. Unfortunately, XAI: Med2 was never really recognized by these forums back then because of some "political" issues that were going on at the time. I got very frustrated with all the arguing and politicking that was going on with the forums and stopped developing med2. But that little mod still keeps on trucking along, and many modders are using it in their mods still to this day, so it has withstood the test of time.

There will be more good things to come in the future. I have a rough baseline now, and once I get it all adjusted properly then we will see where XAI goes. It is also going to take considerable support from the fans of XAI by play testing and showing support on the forums, and on Steam. I want people to be excited about total war again! I want to see the amount of mods grow for these other good games once fixed. But I only have so much time available to me, and it takes a lot of personal investment of that time.

As far as cavalry rush, really nothing to control that anymore, as compared to Med 2. That would have been controlled with the hold tight formation line but it is gone from our use. We have now have zero control of tactics for the AI. But XAI really does showcase what the AI is capable of when properly balanced. The battle AI tactics definitely need some tuning, and I wish I could work on them.
    Last edited by xeryx; September 22, 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Should I turn off your mods if I want to play DLC campaigns?

So guys here is what I am working on with my new friend skidvar. Garrisons, Skidvar has developed an unreleased mod that completely changes garrisons. That is all I can tell you, but I am testing it now with XAI and so far I am really impressed. I am not only impressed with the garrison but with the way Skidvar makes mods, he is a truly great modder and uses great foresight in development. We need to show him support and get him very excited about the game again, as I think he is a bit burned out.

Garrison's are a shambles not only in other mods but in vanilla, and this mod truly will fix the issues! It isn't a magic cure or anything, but an important key to fix the weak spots in the game. So you can expect another module when I get the ok from Skidvar to release and test the mod.

I am a modder, but I think that looking at and including great work from other modders is as vitally important to making a great gaming experience. It is recognizing those talents and utilizing them in the best ways possible. I don't have to re-invent all the wheels on the wagon, but I do have to fix the flats, if we want to get this cart moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Should I turn off your mods if I want to play DLC campaigns?
    The Tharbbg module and the advisors generals and wives, needs to be turned off for dlc

Thanks. So excited to start a new campaign Probably as Alemans or some easy faction in order to get used to new changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Thanks. So excited to start a new campaign Probably as Alemans or some easy faction in order to get used to new changes.
    I would also recommend running this mod for the traits and offices for that campaign.

That is bloodfist's mod and it really makes the traits much better. That is a good place to start anyway. Be aware, I have not tweaked andy of the "special" personalities for that campaign and there maybe some issues that I need to fix, with diplomacy. so detailed feedback is important.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=662922852

Do you mean special personalities of AoC campaign? I was planning to start Grand Campaign but AoC is also nice idea.

Started campaign as Mercia on very hard difficulty and so far this XAI mod pack is amazing. Around at turn 20 almost all Irish and Scottish factions declared war on me. Because of that I decided to unite with Anglo-Saxon kingdoms and formed defensive aliances with Wesex and Northumbria. I was prepared to face them. However, soon after that all my enemies happily agreed to my peace proposals. I even made them pay gold for it. I think this happened because my friends declared war on them and they also were fighting each other even before declaring war on me. In order to grab new lands I decided to attack Irland and started invasion. Right now I am conquering Irish factions but for some reason leader of Kent became rebellious (maybe old king died) and declared war on me. Kent invaded me with 3 full stacks, sacked my cities and liberated one faction. I have no money and my British holdings are I defenseless. I should have payed better attention to diplomacy Looks like I will become Irish faction now.

P.S is difficulty level public order supposed to be positive? On very hard it gives positive 2 public order.

Strange thing: I wanted to trespass and invade Irland but as soon as my main army landed all its movement points disappeared. I had to declare war and attack with another army. After I captured the city the main army was able to move again...
    Last edited by Ostrogoth; September 23, 2017 at 07:58 AM.

There were some issues with peace settings vassals and client states. I fixed those today. Peace will not be easy now and you will have to pay for it, Not sure why it was so far out of alignment but it was.

Yes any puppet can change to rebellious at some point, and if you don't check them periodically then bam. They invade!
    Last edited by xeryx; September 23, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

Not sure where to put this, so... I assume there's something wrong with the last update. With your collection activated - no other mod - Atilla doesn't go beyond the loading screen any more. Worked yesterday. Still works without any mod. But doesn't load with XAI collection!? (Feel free to delete this once it's fixed.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast