Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

Default Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

I love the Total War Series. I’ve been playing all way backsince Shogun 1, and I’ve been addicted ever since. I love the fact the gamesare based in reality. Over the years I must have logged thousands of hoursplaying the various flavours. But with Warhammer I’m conflicted. I’ve neverbeen at all interested in the fantasy or magic genre. I thought the Lord ofRings was shite, Game of Thrones is massively overrated and my memories ofWarhammer was always one of spotty school-boys who couldn’t get laid. Plus, thefact that with the other games you can tell that loads of research had to bedone to make sure each era came across as well as can be. With Warhammer, it’sjust fiction, and if there is research, it was probably done by an intern on hislunch-break. But… I love Total War games. I love the mechanics, the strategy, andthe huge battles. Plus apparently there is a new engine (woo! Shiny shiny!). Sois it going to be more fantasy nonsense?

“I shall smite thee with the Sword of Bo-llocks!”
    “Nay, for I have the Shield of Arse-Gravy!”

Or…

Irrespective of the made-up nonsense, there’s a great gamehere and I should just shut up and play the game? What do you think?

Default Re: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

Apologies for the formatting issues. I pasted the text from elsewhere and I don't seem to be able to edit the original text.

I have played since Shogun 1, and would say I am mainly an historical buff.
    I play Warhammer mainly for the big battles and mix of units. It is interesting to see the world they have created. I am not massively into magic spells, but some are fun to look at, and getting a good one in on massed enemy is a bit of fun.
    There is a veritable ocean of mods to tailor the game to your tastes if you wish.

I believe that CA have tried quite hard to try and bring the Warhammer world to life, many Warhammer fans seem to be quite pleased.
    Consider putting aside your prejudices of spotty teens who can't get laid and if I could afford to buy the game easily enough I would give it a go.
    Who knows perhaps you will get sucked in and buy all three of the Totalwar Warhammer games to get the huge combined map.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    my memories ofWarhammer was always one of spotty school-boys who couldn’t get laid.
    Your question has been answered.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

I was pretty wary of buying it too but picked it up on Steam when it was on sale. I've had more fun with this one than I have since Rome 1 and now I've pre-purchased Warhammer 2. Good fun with very different factions and play styles. My advice is to give it a go and see what you think. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The diversive nature of factions, in style and units [creatures and magic], is fresh and fun.
    Have had good fun with it. If you have a friend to play multiplayer camapigns with, then its a clear winner.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

1) CA is showing deep research and knowledge of lore. This is one of the best interpretation of the world,factions,units.. Definitely not work of some interns but dedicated work. They even said CA has many long time fans of Warhammer.

2) Yes, it is full of magic, beasts and heroes. But to strategic part of me, these are just different tools to use. Like naval bombardment as in FotS, like elephants as in Empire/Rome2...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    I’ve neverbeen at all interested in the fantasy or magic genre. I thought the Lord ofRings was shite, Game of Thrones is massively overrated and my memories ofWarhammer was always one of spotty school-boys who couldn’t get laid.
    Don't worry you can't please everybody. If you haven't atleast tried any of the fantasy mods for Med2 then somehow I don't think playing an officially made fantasy themed game is for you.

If you're worried about getting it, don't get it. It'll always be there. Probably at a discounted price.

If it piques your interest, like it did mine, get it.
    Forward, march!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I got laid alot when I was a teen and I'm pkaying Warhammer too at that time, albeit on PS1.

I have to say Warhammer ia a good Total War game and more historical (to Warhammer lores) as far as I'm aware conpared to previous Total War historical games.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Let's keep this discussion on TW: Warhammer, and not on ours or anybody else's private lives. Thanks.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

From a pureley Total War perspective the game offers a lot of new variables to add into the tried and true formula that has been more or less intact since shogun 1. It is a very good change of pace.

I think you should buy it. Totally worth it.

Flying units, Steamtanks, and Gyrocopters... definitely worth trying in TW and really the lore barely intrudes if you ignore the quest missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    1) CA is showing deep research and knowledge of lore. This is one of the best interpretation of the world,factions,units.. Definitely not work of some interns but dedicated work. They even said CA has many long time fans of Warhammer.

2) Yes, it is full of magic, beasts and heroes. But to strategic part of me, these are just different tools to use. Like naval bombardment as in FotS, like elephants as in Empire/Rome2...
    Now that they have Games Workshop shadow looming over their heads, they aren't allowed to diverge from canon If only we had a Games Workshop for historical titles to make them pay more attention
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Flying units, Steamtanks, and Gyrocopters... definitely worth trying in TW and really the lore barely intrudes if you ignore the quest missions.
    The spectacle of one naval battle in FotS crushes Warhammer's flyiing bats and lizards, not to mention dwarven chitty chitty bang bangs. Actually imo the lore is one of few interesting things about Warhammer. Playing it out in a TW battle format is to laser-like focus in on it's stupidity.

Each to their own but I wasn't impressed by FotS naval battles which are hard to make happen in campaign anyway. The railroads and line infantry which worked better than in Napoleon were more interesting. Besides quite a few flying units that aren't Bats or Dragons. Manticores, Pegasai, Harpies, Vargheists, etc.

It's better than Rome 2/Attila in my opinion (at least the Grand Campaign is). I think the map suffers from a lot of in-built lore issues -- it doesn't play nearly as strategically as say, Shogun 2. Definitely worth it at a discounted price though.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by lord0thief View Post
    It's better than Rome 2/Attila in my opinion (at least the Grand Campaign is). I think the map suffers from a lot of in-built lore issues -- it doesn't play nearly as strategically as say, Shogun 2. Definitely worth it at a discounted price though.
    Regarding the campaign, for me I think it's because a new map. Previous games from original MTW, to RTW to BI to M2TW to Rome2 to Attila and to certain extend ETW and NTW basically uses the same European map, most of them have similar settlements with name changed according to eras.

Because I basically dont know much about Warhammer lores, playing in this new map makes me discover new things which keeps me interested.

In terms of gameplay however, the goal is more towards preparing your settlwmwnta towards the battles unlike Attila for example which is more about city buildings.

Warhammer is more simple. Some may not like it and think it's dumb down compared to previous games but I believe Warhammer itself is base on table top games about battles so TWWH is doing a good job towards the end goal, which are to prepare your armies for battles, the digital version 9f the original table top games.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Warhammer II is out the 28th September. FIFA 18 is out the 29th September.

Easy choice if you ask me.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast