Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Re: Conflicted about buying this game, opinions?

I will never understand these people who detest fantasy. I completely understand just not liking it, but I thought this pretentious jock attitude of, "It's just for dorky nerds who don't have lives" died out in the 80s.

TWW is great, this coming from a fantasy fan, but not a Warhammer fan. If you don't like fantasy, you might still like this game, but if you consider fantasy beneath your mature, vastly superior non-fiction mind, then you probably won't like it. It oozes with heart, it's a game made for fans of Warhammer, by fans of Warhammer. Its Warhammerness permeates all facets of the game.

It's a Total War game, yes, but if you had made a thread proclaiming how much you hate Japanese culture, then proceeded to mock Japanese culture and express a complete disinterest in even attempting to give it a try, then I wouldn't recommend Shogun II either, no matter how good a Total War game it is.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Still have more than enough entertainment with TW:WI, so I'll probably wait a bit more for patches and DLCs before buying, but I'm curious:
    Whoever played this game, how is performance in comparison to first game?

Some sources state that it became much worse, but judging by footages or screenshot, graphics are generally the same, are they not?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Actually i saw a few streamers saying the performance is even better. Especially in battles. Probably will be true for newer hardware with driver up to date. But at the same time some streamers had some video tearing or slowdowns.

Definitely the Combined map will take a hit. Especially in end turns. 2x number of settlements, factions...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Trying to play a couple MP games waiting for the unlock. Got beaten well both times.

While I enjoy the games and have put some time in to the first (30 to 40 hours) I would say probably wait for the price to go down or a sale (or whenever they combine the two maps) to get 2. Right now I feel that there isn't enough there to justify the price tag.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Had a listen to Legend of Total War's review of Warhammer 2 this morning. He gave it a 6 out of 10 for TW veterans. As he put it, "4 DLC's for the price of 8." Lol. Actually, this game, which he says is simplistic, is also empty of many factions (and possibly features) that will be added -- by one count up to 14 installments of DLC. So it 100% makes sense to wait six months and get the base game at a deep discount, let them patch and add content. IIRC I got Warhammer 1 for $10 less than a year after it was released.

Also keep in mind there is historical content coming in the next six months, a DLC for Rome II and a new Saga game. You may want to keep your powder dry.
    Last edited by Huberto; September 28, 2017 at 07:32 AM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I think this may be the first TW game I'm not going to buy. I was more into the historical nature of the TW game right from Shogun and I'm not that into magic.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Of course the whole map is filled with placeholders which will be for free upgraded to fully fletch out factions, races....you know it is still better than almost copy paste factions in older TWs ;-) .. Yours 14 DLCs are actually FLCs + FLCs
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I think this may be the first TW game I'm not going to buy. I was more into the historical nature of the TW game right from Shogun and I'm not that into magic.
    Too bad mate. You should take the plunge, just like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Had a listen to Legend of Total War's review of Warhammer 2 this morning. He gave it a 6 out of 10 for TW veterans. As he put it, "4 DLC's for the price of 8." Lol. Actually, this game, which he says is simplistic, is also empty of many factions (and possibly features) that will be added -- by one count up to 14 installments of DLC. So it 100% makes sense to wait six months and get the base game at a deep discount, let them patch and add content. IIRC I got Warhammer 1 for $10 less than a year after it was released.

Also keep in mind there is historical content coming in the next six months, a DLC for Rome II and a new Saga game. You may want to keep your powder dry.
    I would agree it is empty of some unique new factions, but the campaign map is FAR from empty. There may be generic factions on the campaign map, but they include W1 dlc+flc additions, so they have fully fleshed out rosters, and are far away from the regular generic rebels, or limited roster of placeholders in W1 release. Missing features is the one thing that couldn't be further than the truth, this campaign has more going on with it than any previously, in recent years. There is ALWAYS something going on and there is a lot more to do than just sit in a settlement all day. However, while nowhere near the emptyness of W1 release, it is still probably better to wait if you want a fully fleshed out game - BUT you can probably say that about every single total war game since Empire. They will be releasing the combined map soon, so maybe that is the one reason not to wait.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; September 28, 2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I will never understand these people who detest fantasy. I completely understand just not liking it, but I thought this pretentious jock attitude of, "It's just for dorky nerds who don't have lives" died out in the 80s.

TWW is great, this coming from a fantasy fan, but not a Warhammer fan. If you don't like fantasy, you might still like this game, but if you consider fantasy beneath your mature, vastly superior non-fiction mind, then you probably won't like it. It oozes with heart, it's a game made for fans of Warhammer, by fans of Warhammer. Its Warhammerness permeates all facets of the game.

It's a Total War game, yes, but if you had made a thread proclaiming how much you hate Japanese culture, then proceeded to mock Japanese culture and express a complete disinterest in even attempting to give it a try, then I wouldn't recommend Shogun II either, no matter how good a Total War game it is.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Combined with some snobbistic attitude towards historical representation in previous TW games. In reality TW has been fantasy since the start. Look at how the Brits are depicted in ETW and NTW!

Rome I & II and Atilla are complete fantasy games.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    thank God ! let the rat army and other idiotic creations play for the kids

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    so you don't play any rpgs out in the games market?
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Don't grasp at strawmen arguments. Just because an individual doesn't enjoy fantasy Total War games does not necessarily correlate to avoiding fantasy RPGs.
    The Total War theme has typically been inspired by history anyways.
    WH:II seems to be more of the same, so I refunded it after awhile.

what is wrong with the series branching out? the more source materials CA has to draw from when creating games, the more variety we get as buyers.

the question should be if OP likes warhammer fantasy, not the tw series has typically been inspired by history.

more of the same? you could easily stopped buying total war games after rome 1 if that is the reasoning. the series formula isn't going to change much.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    thank God ! let the rat army and other idiotic creations play for the kids
    Warhammer is certainly not for the kids. I wouldn't let the game near my kids to be honest.

Dont want them to oggling at Morathi and the Witch Elves....

So, it's not worth buying it for the 60 Euros Price?

My Picture Gallery

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

It depends how you value your games, I figure its a good game if I get 1 hour out of it per $1 I spent. So I'm sure its worth it in that regards because there is honestly a lot to do, but I don't reckon Warhammer 1 (and presumably Warhammer 2) are good Total War games, compared to all the previous Total Wars.

I've played Rome I, ME II, Rome II, Atilla, and TWWH I. TWWH 2 is definitely the hardest one I've ever played. The "easy" high elf location is pretty easy and the "normal" skaven location is doable. But, Queek (skaven), both dark elf, both lizardmen, and Telcis are extremely hard on very hard campaign difficulty (normal battle). The campaign AI is the best I've seen it. I get some people don't like the warhammer versions because they prefer historical games and thats understandable. But if you like total war as a strategy game I would say it's worth the 60 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    I've played Rome I, ME II, Rome II, Atilla, and TWWH I. TWWH 2 is definitely the hardest one I've ever played. The "easy" high elf location is pretty easy and the "normal" skaven location is doable. But, Queek (skaven), both dark elf, both lizardmen, and Telcis are extremely hard on very hard campaign difficulty (normal battle). The campaign AI is the best I've seen it. I get some people don't like the warhammer versions because they prefer historical games and thats understandable. But if you like total war as a strategy game I would say it's worth the 60 bucks.
    see, now that is a honest review. not of the typical " my preference trumps all others".
    fear is helluva drug

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast